• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Marvell Technology Group Seeks to Overturn Jury's Patent Infringement Findings

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL), a global leader in integrated silicon solutions, announced that on December 26, 2012, a jury in Pittsburgh delivered a verdict in a lawsuit brought by Carnegie Mellon University ("CMU") against Marvell and Marvell Semiconductor, Inc. ("MSI"), Marvell's U.S. operating subsidiary, in the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania. In the lawsuit, CMU asserted that Marvell infringed two CMU patents claiming a specific technique related to read channel detector technology that is not practiced by any Marvell chips.

Specifically, the patents at issue are U.S. Patent Nos. 6,201,839 and 6,438,180. Marvell and MSI strongly believe the theoretical methods described in these patents cannot practically be built in silicon even using the most advanced techniques available today, let alone with the technology available a decade ago. Rather, Marvell and MSI use their own patented read channel technology developed in house. Nevertheless, the jury disagreed with Marvell and MSI's position and found that the patents were literally and willfully infringed and valid, and awarded damages in the amount of $1.17 billion.

In the meantime, Marvell and MSI believe there should be no disruption to their business or to customers as a result of the verdict. Marvell and MSI believe that the evidence and the law do not support the jury's findings of infringement, validity and the award of damages. There are strong grounds for appeal and Marvell and MSI will seek to overturn the verdict in post-trial motions before the District Court and, if necessary, to appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in Washington, D.C. Marvell and MSI intend to vigorously challenge the judgment through all appropriate post trial motions and appeal processes. In addition, the district court in Pittsburgh has yet to rule on certain of Marvell's defenses and motions, including laches and Marvell's renewed request for a mistrial.

As of October 27, 2012, Marvell had not accrued any liability in its financial statements for this lawsuit. In assessing the impact of this jury verdict on its financial statements, Marvell will review the verdict, evaluate the post-trial motions, and evaluate the likelihood of a successful appeal. Marvell has not yet determined the financial impact, if any, to the results of operation for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013, ending February 2, 2013.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

I was always wondering how it is, if one patent/tech already exists, but you developed that tech completely by yourself without knowing about that patent. I mean, there are so many patents these days its impossible to know what already exists and what doesn't.

System Name ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MEG X670E Ace
Cooling EK Nucleus CR360
Memory 64GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000Mhz CL30 1.4v
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090 ROG Strix OC
Storage Samsung 990 Pro 2TB \ Kingston KC3000 2TB
Display(s) LG GQ950-B 4K 144hz 32"
Case Lian Li Lancool 216
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Gen2 \ SS Arctis Nova Pro \ DT 770 Pro
Power Supply MSI A1000G 1000W ATX 3.0
Mouse HyperX Pulsefire Haste 2
Keyboard NuPhy Filed75
Software Windows 11 Pro
Thanks god no one can patent nature :D

I was always wondering how it is, if one patent/tech already exists, but you developed that tech completely by yourself without knowing about that patent. I mean, there are so many patents these days its impossible to know what already exists and what doesn't.
its simple.... ur fu'ed.
I hate this patent system :shadedshu

System Name Americas cure is the death of Social Justice & Political Correctness
Processor i7-11700K
Motherboard Asrock Z590 Extreme wifi 6E
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Corsair RGB fancy boi 5000
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 Reference
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb + Samsung 970 Evo 500Gb
Display(s) Dell - 27" LED QHD G-SYNC x2
Case Fractal Design Meshify-C
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Seasonic Focus+ Gold 1000 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502 spectrum
Keyboard AZIO MGK-1 RGB (Kaith Blue)
Software Win 10 Professional 64 bit
Benchmark Scores the MLGeesiest
you would totally be surprised how MANY patents there actually are. My brother used to invent ALL kinds of crap, and he would run into that alot.