• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Old BIOS To New VISUAL BIOS Modification?

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
True, I wanted it just for the sake of wanting something different to what I'm used to. I totally get your point, coz i have a different PC with ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Board that has a Visual Bios the pc is not my main rig and I only went to BIOS the first time while setting it up i was setting memory to 1600 that was it never checked the BIOS again i barely even use the PC, coz i prefer my Intel Board over the ASUS one.

They can be pain at times, Just to let you know on Intel Boards that have VISUAL BIOS you can switch it to Classic text style if you want, a very cool feature that is handy partly why I want a Visual Bios mainly the Intel one

its just not possible and you insisting that it is it aggravating
1. there is no documentation for developers nor is there any src-code access for anything
2. you CAN NOT just cut and paste stuff from one bios to another it wont work
3. bios modding is usually limited to editing simple stuff like address tables or swamping sub images what you ask would require that someone have Source code access to even attempt it they would also need the exact motherboard AND a way to reflash it when it fails to boot meaning either a SPI cable or more likely a ROM-burning rig
4. the bios 'mods' you are thinking of are just people basicly copy and pasting stuff ( cpu support unlocking stuff thats already there and swapping out the occasional firmware image the stuff such as the UI and the core of the logic are normally either encapsulated in a way to make them unmoddable without HIGH LEVEL tools that YOU CAN NOT GET unless you have a agreement with a bios vendor
TL:DR can NOT be done

Processor Intel Core i7-14700K
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-H
Cooling DeepCool AK500 WH
Memory Crucial Pro 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5-5600 (CP2K16G56C46U5)
Video Card(s) Intel ARC A770 Limited Edition
Storage PNY CS3140 2TB / Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
Display(s) Philips 32M1N5800A
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini (White)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Fanless Titanium 600W
Keyboard Dell KM714 Wireless
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
1. there is no documentation for developers nor is there any src-code access for anything
3. bios modding is usually limited to editing simple stuff like address tables or swamping sub images what you ask would require that someone have Source code access to even attempt it they would also need the exact motherboard AND a way to reflash it when it fails to boot meaning either a SPI cable or more likely a ROM-burning rig
4. the bios 'mods' you are thinking of are just people basicly copy and pasting stuff ( cpu support unlocking stuff thats already there and swapping out the occasional firmware image the stuff such as the UI and the core of the logic are normally either encapsulated in a way to make them unmoddable without HIGH LEVEL tools that YOU CAN NOT GET unless you have a agreement with a bios vendor

I'm not insisting that it can be done, If you read most of my posts in this thread I use the word If It can be done. That is not insisting, thanks for your Info on how the BIOS process is at list I learn something about BIOS by making this thread, even if what i want can not be done i still learn somethings like the ones you have stated and the ones other fellow TPU members have stated, all in all its a learning process and for that I'm great full to TPU as a whole.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I'm not insisting that it can be done, If you read most of my posts in this thread I use the word If It can be done. That is not insisting, thanks for your Info on how the BIOS process is at list I learn something about BIOS by making this thread, even if what i want can not be done i still learn somethings like the ones you have stated and the ones other fellow TPU members have stated, all in all its a learning process and for that I'm great full to TPU as a whole.

and you have been repeatedly told WHY IT CANT :banghead: hell even the SITE OWNER W1zzard stepped in and said it can't be done and his word is GOD and HE is one of the few that has the know-how and access to the tools todo it if it where feasible

if i took my car to your house and asked you if you could give it a extra 500HP using only a Screwdriver and a roll of ductape one of two things would happen
1. you would laugh me out of the drive way
2. call the police thinking I was nuts
and if I said that by YOU modding MY car with a screwdriver and some duct tape that I would learn about "performance tuning" they most certainly would lock me up

lets say someone did mod the bios unless they have YOUR motherboard they would have had no way of testing it
you go and flash it and BOOM it bricks it you are out a motherboard and the only thing you have learned is that when it comes to the system BIOS
IF ITS NOT BROKE DONT FIX IT
so assuming someone by some act of god made you a working bios
what pray-tel have you learned
congrats you learned how to boot from a disk and execute a flash something you should already know

this whole thread screams one thing to me
"I want this come hell or high water I am gonna get This"
and if you are serious about understanding the bios
start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS
then go here and ask around who knows maby one of them is the son-of-god and can get it done
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
@OneMoar: Don't be retarded, w1z is no god and he did not say it was impossible, just that it couldn't be "done in a reasonable time". And those reasons you gave us in post number 26 tells us that it can be done with the right tools and knowledge. End users don't have the tools or the knowledge, but it can be done. Also, don't be an asshole.

And seriously, "his word is GOD"? Wow.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
If there is a moderator who can close this thread please feel free to do so.

Why? Aside from OneMoars asshattery (he is kind of an asshole anyway) it's been a good thread imo.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
@OneMoar: Don't be retarded, w1z is no god and he did not say it was impossible, just that it couldn't be "done in a reasonable time". And those reasons you gave us in post number 26 tells us that it can be done with the right tools and knowledge. End users don't have the tools or the knowledge, but it can be done. Also, don't be an asshole.

And seriously, "his word is GOD"? Wow.

with the right tools and a shed full of motherboards to kill and a 5 Figure RnD budget yea you could write a alteturnative bios (see coreboot)
is that gonna happen on TPU
lolNOPE

and maby calling w1z a.god was exaggerating but seriously at that point a bunch of senior members had told him why it wasn't possible in more detail then I think he understood
and yea I know I am being a ass and I don't care sometimes you gotta be a bit of a jerk to get a point across lol(see my SIG)
and my thank count tells me that I am doing a pretty decent job :p

with the right tools and a shed full of motherboards to kill and a 5 Figure RnD budget yea you could write a alteturnative bios (see coreboot)
is that gonna happen on TPU
lolNOPE

and maby calling w1z a.god was exaggerating but seriously at that point a bunch of senior members had told him why it wasn't possible in more detail then I think he understood
and yea I know I am being a ass and I don't care sometimes you gotta be a bit of a jerk to get a point across lol

Just calm down we are mature people in this forum and on my side i understand each and every post on this thread, you don't have to act like a cranky kid to get your point across.

Last edited:

VisualBIOS

Intel Visual BIOS Developer

Hey everyone (sorry for the slight bump, hopefully 5 days or so is acceptable on this forum!!!),

I wanted to drop in and say that this post is correct, albeit unfortunately. I am one of the Visual BIOS developers and while I hate to bring bad news, we are not back-porting Visual BIOS to older boards - 7 series and beyond will have it; it's just one of the new features for Intel brand boards moving forward. We're working on some really cool stuff for the next series, so Protagonist, I do honestly recommend your 8 series plan. Feel free to contact me through Twitter (@VisualBIOS) or through email at visualbios (at) intel (dot) com.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Hey everyone (sorry for the slight bump, hopefully 5 days or so is acceptable on this forum!!!),

I wanted to drop in and say that this post is correct, albeit unfortunately. I am one of the Visual BIOS developers and while I hate to bring bad news, we are not back-porting Visual BIOS to older boards - 7 series and beyond will have it; it's just one of the new features for Intel brand boards moving forward. We're working on some really cool stuff for the next series, so Protagonist, I do honestly recommend your 8 series plan. Feel free to contact me through Twitter (@VisualBIOS) or through email at visualbios (at) intel (dot) com.

o_O
a intel employee quoted one of my posts :respect:
not sure if I should be honored or scared

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~

Thanks for your input. You state that you are an Intel employee is that correct?

VisualBIOS

o_O
a intel employee quoted one of my posts :respect:
not sure if I should be honored or scared

Best to go with both! By the same token, it looks as though you are a valuable asset to this community, and your help on issues like these is always appreciated. :toast: There are so many different places on the net to ask questions that it is hard to spread reliable information, especially things concerning BIOS land and UEFI.

Thanks for your input. You state that you are an Intel employee is that correct?

It is. I am part of the Intel Desktop Boards division, and have been working on Visual BIOS since I started work at Intel. I do apologize if I'm breaking any rules - I wanted to create an account quickly before forgetting to respond or letting too much time pass. Cheers to you as well, for your modding efforts on this forum - it seems like a very decent place to ask technical questions. :toast:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Best to go with both! By the same token, it looks as though you are a valuable asset to this community, and your help on issues like these is always appreciated. :toast: There are so many different places on the net to ask questions that it is hard to spread reliable information, especially things concerning BIOS land and UEFI.

It is. I am part of the Intel Desktop Boards division, and have been working on Visual BIOS since I started work at Intel. I do apologize if I'm breaking any rules - I wanted to create an account quickly before forgetting to respond or letting too much time pass. Cheers to you as well, for your modding efforts on this forum - it seems like a very decent place to ask technical questions. :toast:

Welcome to TPU:toast:
You are not breaking any rules. It will be nice to have someone with your expertise joining our forum to help others with their questions:)

Hey thanks for your very good reply now i know for sure that it's not going to happen, its not bad news to me i kind if knew it from the start as Intel's new road maps do not state anything of the sot only indicate Visual Bios for 7 series and above. Thanks for the clarification.

SO let me go straight to the point, What are you guys doing about the serious BIOS plague on DZ68BC on all 3rd gen BIOS from 0035, 0036, 0037 & now 0039 plagued with very many issues now that you are here PLEASE explain it to me why there is no fix yet. If you are in the BIOS team as you state then you will know the issues I'm talking about, I bet i have so many threads about the issues in the Internet including Intel Community i go by the name stephenb.b.r

I just want a working BIOS free from problems, so please Tel me that you have something fixed cooking in the lab

VisualBIOS

Hey thanks for your very good reply now i know for sure that it's not going to happen, its not bad news to me i kind if knew it from the start as Intel's new road maps do not state anything of the sot only indicate Visual Bios for 7 series and above. Thanks for the clarification.

SO let me go straight to the point, What are you guys doing about the serious BIOS plague on DZ68BC on all 3rd gen BIOS from 0035, 0036, 0037 & now 0039 plagued with very many issues now that you are here PLEASE explain it to me why there is no fix yet. If you are in the BIOS team as you state then you will know the issues I'm talking about, I bet i have so many threads about the issues in the Internet including Intel Community i go by the name stephenb.b.r

I just want a working BIOS free from problems, so please Tel me that you have something fixed cooking in the lab

Hey Protagonist,

Sorry about the issues that you are seeing on DZ68BC. I don't personally work on the BIOS core itself for products so I can't really speak to the status of the issues you're talking about, but I do know how annoying they are. I believe the best route to take with them is a phone call at 1-916-377-7000, 07:00 to 17:00, (US Pacific Time) Monday - Friday. Apologies if you've already gone down that path. The trouble with talking to me is that I only develop Visual BIOS, not the DZ68BC BIOS core, but I will bring up your concerns where I can.

Processor 4GHz intel i7 950
Motherboard GA X58-USB3 F5
Cooling Noctua C12P
Memory 48GB G.Skill RipjawsZ
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 480 873/1746/1848
Storage Intel 520 Series
Display(s) HP 2210m
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Antec True Power New 750
Software Windows 8 Pro
Buy a DZ77GA, put a DZ68BC sticker on it.
Done, and in quick smart time too!

As for a proper solution, I am sure there is someone out there who can do it, a retired developer/hacker or similar, but you may want to throw say, $5000 their way to do it, because money is a great incentive for people to make themselves and their skills known.

Hey Protagonist,

Sorry about the issues that you are seeing on DZ68BC. I don't personally work on the BIOS core itself for products so I can't really speak to the status of the issues you're talking about, but I do know how annoying they are. I believe the best route to take with them is a phone call at 1-916-377-7000, 07:00 to 17:00, (US Pacific Time) Monday - Friday. Apologies if you've already gone down that path. The trouble with talking to me is that I only develop Visual BIOS, not the DZ68BC BIOS core, but I will bring up your concerns where I can.

Thanks for your concern I already called, emailed and chatted on line with them as you guessed, I did all that last year for several months till i got tired. I would appreciate it very much if you could accelerate my concern hopefully you read my email that i sent to you. Maybe they'll listen to a fellow BIOS developer.

ThingOnASpring

Do you know of a tool i can use to read the Intel BIOS and allow editing/changing of values in the Intel BIO File? if you know please point me to where i can get the software/tool

You can use the Intel Integrator Toolkit to modify most of their BIOSs (including yours). This is intended for enterprise IT admins, OEMs and embedded developers but anyone can use it. You can changing the boot display image (if supported) and default settings but you will not be able to switch to visual BIOS unless the old BIOS supports it (which I don't think it does).

IIT.png

Download the BIOS from here
Download the toolkit from here. You want to open the itk file included in the BIOS update (BI) package.

John-117

The only thing I can say about this thread and the OP's question is... hahahahahahahahaha

ThingOnASpring

Buy a DZ77GA, put a DZ68BC sticker on it.
Done, and in quick smart time too!

As for a proper solution, I am sure there is someone out there who can do it, a retired developer/hacker or similar, but you may want to throw say, $5000 their way to do it, because money is a great incentive for people to make themselves and their skills known.

I am a former BIOS developer but even if you paid me I probably still couldn't be bothered. Just to let you know how big the ballpark is, a fully custom BIOS port from scratch might cost you $40000-$60000 (depending on the level of customization). Been a while since I worked in that area though so the going rate may have changed.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
holy thread necro