• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How many of you went back to Windows 7 ?

Did you return to Win 7 after using Win 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a question, that I think encapsulates the whole debate.

If the most purchased application for your new operating system is one that disable all of the UI changes, then what are the consumers saying about your "improved" UI?

Face it, the power user is a minority. The people who get every operating system, and learn to adapt, are in such small supply that it isn't possible to cater to them. MS has tried to push things forward, but the techniques they used have been demonstrated to be consumer unfriendly. Whether you like or loathe the new UI, dollars are the only thing that speaks.

Hopefully MS learned, and 9 will be the backside improvements of 8, with the UI of 7. Better yet, release an optional update that incorporates the ability to disable Metro. I don't care to consider what that says about progress, but the consumers have spoken. I'm more than happy to have a different OS between my phone, tablet, and desktop. MS wanted to make the transition from device to device seamless, but they only succeeded in making the desktop less friendly (for basic consumers anyways).

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
It's all about scale. You do understand the concept of polls, right?

But .. didn't we talk about how much it has sold? The scale was all Win8 machines in the world.

Not hard to do when that is all that is available. Then once the consumer has it in hand and tries it out....well, you can see the numbers here yourself. ;)

Wait, maybe you changed the scale in the middle of the sentence. I think you did.

You talk about numbers proving MS didn't do their homework. I assumed that meant it sold poorly, or did you refer to the number of people complaining on the UI? Even if you have a hundred people it's a drop in the ocean.

If the scale is this forum only.. I'd say it's pretty even. Not everyone has answered the poll, and Windows 8 have a fair share of fans, as do Windows 7.

Now of course anyone can use whatever they damn please, but I think it's wrong to say it's proven to be a failure and that all this doom and gloom.

BTW, I love the concept of Windows Everywhere. I think cadaveca talked about it somewhere, how different things would integrate more or less seamlessly with each other. Look at Apple and their AppleTV and iPhone/iTab and maybe an upcoming actual Apple TV, they just work together. I think it's a good thing to shoot for, and I also think the only realistic way to integrate technology in peoples lives is making them as easy as possible to use. You can do quite literally anything with Linux, but often there's a lot of work to do it.

All in all I think MS is on the right track. Nothing is certain though. :p

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Finished installing Win 8 on my laptop along with a new SSD (840 Pro). While I'm not exactly happy about the lack of the old start menu, I still like the new look.
The text is much easier to read, I also like that they got rid of the transparent stuff, it's a bit more responsive than Win 7 (I tried both on same setup/same SSD).

However I'm not changing to 8 on my main PC, the only reason I installed win 8 on my laptop is because I got it for free.

D

Deleted member 74752

But .. didn't we talk about how much it has sold? The scale was all Win8 machines in the world.

That scale is just fine...it still boils down to that is all that is being offered/provided.

Wait, maybe you changed the scale in the middle of the sentence. I think you did.

I think not.

You talk about numbers proving MS didn't do their homework. I assumed that meant it sold poorly, or did you refer to the number of people complaining on the UI? Even if you have a hundred people it's a drop in the ocean.

The numbers we are speaking of here are the parameters of this specific poll. You will find the same spread on any forum you visit concerning this topic.

If the scale is this forum only.. I'd say it's pretty even. Not everyone has answered the poll, and Windows 8 have a fair share of fans, as do Windows 7.

No, it is not even close to being even.

Now of course anyone can use whatever they damn please, but I think it's wrong to say it's proven to be a failure and that all this doom and gloom.

Never stated it as being a failure in of itself...the overall judgement of MS in the grande scheme of things is suspect tho.

BTW, I love the concept of Windows Everywhere. I think cadaveca talked about it somewhere, how different things would integrate more or less seamlessly with each other. Look at Apple and their AppleTV and iPhone/iTab and maybe an upcoming actual Apple TV, they just work together. I think it's a good thing to shoot for, and I also think the only realistic way to integrate technology in peoples lives is making them as easy as possible to use. You can do quite literally anything with Linux, but often there's a lot of work to do it.

All in all I think MS is on the right track. Nothing is certain though. :p

;)

D

Deleted member 74752

Guys I have a laptop with only 2GB of RAM (max). Which is faster Win7 or Win8 to be installed on it? Thanks

Probably not much difference. I would put Tiny XP on it if the OS suited your purposes.

System Name WorkStation
Processor Intel i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme6
Cooling Corsair H110 Water Cooler AIO
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX680 Twin Frozr III OC
Storage WD 1TB Sata III
Display(s) Samsung 22-inch LED 1080p
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek 898 HD
Power Supply Corsair CS750M Gold
Software Windows 8.1 Pro x64
Probably not much difference. I would put Tiny XP on it if the OS suited your purposes.

I am running Vista SP2 on my old laptop with 2GB RAM, can't say it runs slow. So I guess Prima.Vera will be fine with either 7 or 8. But I keep hearing 8 is little bit more efficient.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I am running Vista SP2 on my old laptop with 2GB RAM, can't say it runs slow. So I guess Prima.Vera will be fine with either 7 or 8. But I keep hearing 8 is little bit more efficient.

Windows 7 would use about 1.2gb while 8 uses .80gb. That can make a big difference when you have 2gb to work with. Windows 8 boots faster too.

System Name WorkStation
Storage WD 1TB Sata III
Windows 8 boots faster too.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.... my 8 boots in ~4.5 sec. Whereas 7 used to take ~30 sec and my Windows Server 2008 R2 used to take ~1.5 min.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Oh yeah, forgot about that.... my 8 boots in ~4.5 sec. Whereas 7 used to take ~30 sec and my Windows Server 2008 R2 used to take ~1.5 min.

That is without an ssd?

I went from about 30 seconds on my laptop to 15 seconds or so.

System Name WorkStation
Storage WD 1TB Sata III
System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
I had 7 when it was at some form of beta release but i didnt impress me enough to spend the money and move from Vista. Found out i can download MS os's through my university and i now realize what ive been missing out on. Currently running 8 and extremely happy with it, much faster and more efficient on resources then Vista. Yea the whole start menu thing and difficulty getting it into safe mode, no power off button took a bit to get used to but over all i find my experience loading up various documents finding programs to be quite efficient ive just put everything i frequently need to access on the start menu simple.

Main thing i was im pressed was how well it handled swapping my mother board, just booted up and within 5 min it running as if nothing had happened and still is now, Vista would have cried like a baby till i re-installed it.

However like i said i only used the beta version of 7 the final release would have obviously been better and i may find if i do use it to be better than 8, but at the moment im happy enough not to want too.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Didn't vote as I did not switch; hence I have not switched back to Win7:)