• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DayZ (Mod for ARMA II: OAH) Clubhouse

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Physx no cause it would more lean on nvidia cards. I think a simple more realistic style animation would be preferable. When it real life have you seen bodies fly backwards unless they were hit by cars at high speed?

I like his end comments, "It will be done when it's done!"

Havok would be nice. Also for bodies flying back being shot that's movie stuff. Its simple physics. If you fire a weapon and you do not fly back from the recoil then what ever the bullet/slug hits will not fly back either. They may jump a little from a shock reaction but that can be had from a bow shot and no one would expect anyone to "fly back" from an arrow :laugh: HOWEVER that would be funny as hell to see in a zombie game.

Most common reaction from being shot is the body drops like a sack of potato's and goes into shock and twitches a lot. "Death Spasms" and its not a pretty sight and IMO should be left out of games.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Havok would be nice. Also for bodies flying back being shot that's movie stuff. Its simple physics. If you fire a weapon and you do not fly back from the recoil then what ever the bullet/slug hits will not fly back either. They may jump a little from a shock reaction but that can be had from a bow shot and no one would expect anyone to "fly back" from an arrow :laugh: HOWEVER that would be funny as hell to see in a zombie game.

Most common reaction from being shot is the body drops like a sack of potato's and goes into shock and twitches a lot. "Death Spasms" and its not a pretty sight and IMO should be left out of games.

I do agree here, The havok physx engine is quite nice. Yea I just didn't want to see non normal "flying" movements in a game that is suppose to be semi realism.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I do agree here, The havok physx engine is quite nice. Yea I just didn't want to see non normal "flying" movements in a game that is suppose to be semi realism.

Havok would be perfect IMO. You hit a zombies arm and it has a small rag doll effect knocking the arm back and the torso leans toward it would be very cool and realistic. Or a small head bounce when they fall down and the head hits the ground. Man there are SO MANY micro animations that can be done its pretty crazy. Maybe they could use something like "ANT" kinda like EA does.

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64

i meant like explosions knocking you back. Also what happens when someone is shot point blank with 00buck? don't they fall back away from the player? hence "fly back" not soaring away but recoiling away

brandonwh64

Havok would be perfect IMO. You hit a zombies arm and it has a small rag doll effect knocking the arm back and the torso leans toward it would be very cool and realistic. Or a small head bounce when they fall down and the head hits the ground. Man there are SO MANY micro animations that can be done its pretty crazy. Maybe they could use something like "ANT" kinda like EA does.

Yep! I forsee the zombies being alot more believable than in the MOD since in the MOD the zombies actions are taken from arma II's NPC soldiers that zigzag while trying to chase you.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
i meant like explosions knocking you back. Also what happens when someone is shot point blank with 00buck? don't they fall back away from the player? hence "fly back" not soaring away but recoiling away

There is no flying back. Point blank with buckshot MIGHT make you take a step back but you might lean forward also. Depends on the placement but, one things for sure your knees would simply give out within a second you would just drop down dead or in shock and in a LOT of pain. You might even go numb and shake from the massive blood loss. Its pretty amazing thing if you wanna go into all the scenarios that might happen from that. Most of the time its shock that kills a person from a bullet wound unless its a hydra shock hit (head or heart). That's the whole point of the double tap. To instantly immobilize a person because even a body in shock and pull a grenade pin or pull a trigger.

Basically if you cant get them in the head or heart you wanna cause as much blood loss at possible. THAT is why the bigger bullet or buck is so effective. Not because of the energy it produces but, because of the hole it makes.

Anyway this subject is a little dark for me on a Friday morning. I'm done.

Last edited:

brandonwh64

really at this point as long as its better than the MOD then I will be much happier.

MM has not seen how the zombies chase you in the MOD and how they react. Another thing he has not seen is how players react when shot. Its pretty much the same animation each time when a person dies or get broken legs.

*EDIT*

MM if you get some free time check this video out, it shows some of the zombie animations and killing animations in 720P

This one is good too

The best DayZ video EVER!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Cooling Corsair H100i
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
OMG I just got done playing a massive DayZ session with some friends both from TPU and external. Most of us played from noon on Saturday until ~5am Sunday. Erocker joined us around midnight. When I logged out I had just robbed a tent for a mk48 mod 0 and 5 boxes of ammo

brandonwh64

*Interesting NEWS!* 2/25/2013

DayZ Mod 1.7.6 Update

USE THE LATEST BETA: 102285

The ideal place to load bugs is at the community bug tracker:
https://dev-heaven.net/projects/dayz

Please make sure they are listed to the DayZ project. Feature requests can also be made through this system.

Patch Download:

DayZ Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Dayz-1.7.6-Patch.rar
Hive Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Hive-1.7.6-Patch.rar

Full Download:

Client Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Client-1.7.6-Full.rar
Server Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Server-1.7.6-Full.rar

Prerequisites:

* [Prerequisites] beta-patch ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_102285.zip
* [Prerequisites] Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x86 Redistributable
* [Prerequisites] New Mission File Downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...silentspy.net/utility/dayz/mission-generator/

Build Notes:

* dayz_code
* dayz_sfx
* dayz_server
* dayz_communityassets

Changelog:

* [NEW] - Added a 2 minute delay to new zeds spawning once MaxLocal zeds fall's below the acceptable level.
* [NEW] - Added new sfx for chopping wood.
* [NEW] - Started Update for Cherno intro. (map intro)
* [NEW] - Zed attraction, this will draw zeds to loiter closer to players over time.
* [NEW] - BAF_L85A2_RIS_SUSAT - (Heilcrash - HeliCrash_No50s)
* [NEW] - Crossbow Quiver added - 6 arrow mag size.
* [NEW] - WoodenArrow added 6 arrows can be turned into a quiver.
* [NEW] - WoodenArrow can be picked up after use.
* [NEW] - 20% of breaking WoodenArrow when firing it.
* [NEW] - Crowbar now attaches to toolbelt.
* [NEW] - Added Anti teleport script. Reported to server's RPT log
* [NEW] - New models by JoeysLucky22:
- (Soda) Long's Island Iced Tea (Clayton)
- (Soda) Dr. Wasteland (Dr. wasteland)
- (Soda) Mikhail Made Lemonade (-=PA=-Mikhail)
- (Soda) LVG Root Beer (LVG)
- (Soda) Mountain Green
- (Soda) mZLY yZLY (mZLY)
- (Soda) R4Z0R soda (R4Z0R)
- (Soda) Smasht (Smasht)
- (Beer) Rabbitman (Rabbitman)
- (Can) Bad Guy's Ubiquitous Peaches (UbiquitousBadGuy)
- (Can) Chef Boneboy Ravioli (Boneboys)
- (Can) Curgon's Chicken Noodle Soup (Curgon)
- (Can) Demon Groves Green Beans (DemonGroover)
- (Can) FraggleOs (Fraggle)
- (Can) Griff Black Beans (Griff)
- (Can) Herpy Dooves Canned Muffins (DerpyHooves)
- (Can) Orlok Mixed Fruit (orlok)
- (Can) Powell's New England Clam Chowder (Powell)
- (Can) Unlabeled Can
- (Can) Tyler's Kidney Beans
- (Can) Conrad's Whole Kernel Corn

* [NEW] - New models by Elvaron:
- New melee weapon: Machete - (Farm - Hunting)
- New Food: Pack of pistachios
- New Food: Pack of trail mix
- New Food: MRE military rations (Military Loot)
- New junk loot
- Model for Compass instead of green pouch in loot pile
- 2rnd shells for pellet and slugshot shotgun ammunition (no more 8 bullets shown on ground when it's actually 2 bullets)
- New models and textures for FoodBaconRaw and FoodBaconCooked.
- Model and textures for Quiver.

* [UPDATED] - BoltsSteel replaced with WoodenArrows.
* [UPDATED] - BAF_L85A2_RIS_Holo Removed from crash site's added to Military tables
* [UPDATED] - loot weighted array generation fixed.
* [UPDATED] - Updated logout system to check radius of zeds from 50 meters to 35 meters (30 sec count)
* [UPDATED] - Player range on logout to 6 meters. (30 Sec count)
* [UPDATED] - Max Range of targets 120 meters down from 300 meters. (this should help long range agro, This is zeds max target range).
* [UPDATED] - AI behavior updated to try making them zigzag less.
* [UPDATED] - Added push bikes to the zeds pull from vehilce list.
* [UPDATED] - Epeen key moved to Custom Controls - Use action key 20 (No default key needs setting up)
* [UPDATED] - Zeds Targets array modified
* [UPDATED] - Weapon fire sounds divided by 2 (This will help us settle zeds hearing a little more) (107_DZ Zed pull range 450 meters / 2 = 225 meters (capped 120 meters aboue for now))
* [UPDATED] - Max local zeds per client now fixed at 40 zeds, Global at 40 +10 foreach player within 400 meters and total 500 zeds max.
* [UPDATED] - Added some Czech language
* [UPDATED] - Updated zed attraction to dead players from 50 meters to 20 meters.
* [UPDATED] - Players will now drop empty cans after consumption to nearest lootpile or creates new one.
* [UPDATED] - Updated Infection to cough, shake camera and loose blood.
* [UPDATED] - Updated russian string tables.
* [UPDATED] - Backpack Spawns should now see higher grade backpacks more.
* [UPDATED] - Deer stands has it's own loot table (Hunting).
* [UPDATED] - Reduced Zed Running Speed.

* [FIXED] - Zeds talk, lowed to 80 meters down from 200 meters this will stop any zeds targeting for sight/noise outside of this radius
* [FIXED] - CookedBeef StringTables now added.
* [FIXED] - Spanish, French StringTables updated.
* [FIXED] - logout timers updated from sleep 3 to sleep 1 this should now fix long logout timers.
* [FIXED] - Zeds should no longer walk though all objects. (Some objects can still be walked thought)
* [FIXED] - Updated refuel to attract zeds. (3-6 Meters)
* [FIXED] - EH's updated to work with bettleye filters.
* [FIXED] - Ammo counts now fixed on dc.
* [FIXED] - Zeds will no longer magically hit players just becuase there within 3 meters. ( Zeds can no longer dmg without running the attack animations. (running into zeds will no longer dmg the player))
* [FIXED] - Fixed some base class's for vehicles reporting issues with crew
* [FIXED] - You can now logout with a broke leg.
* [FIXED] - Temperature icon should not disappear anymore.
* [FIXED] - Humanity should now work increase again.
* [FIXED] - Chemlights and flares now work again.
* [FIXED] - time is now set on startup.
* [FIXED] - Hatchet and crowbar don't require reload anymore.
* [FIXED] - Hatchet and crowbar no longer overwrite each other.
* [FIXED] - Exploit when converting Mags into other mags (Example - DMR to M24 then back)
* [FIXED] - Blood particles not shown for player.
* [FIXED] - Hide body animation not shown for player.

Combat Roll
* [Fixed] - No longer possible to combat roll with broken leg
* [Fixed] - Added 4 sec delay to multiple rolls.
* [Fixed] - No longer possible to combat roll over player created objects (tents, sandbags so on)
* [Fixed] - No longer combat roll in buildings.

* [REMOVED] - Chase combat logging systems removed. (Removed due to ealry warning of agro)
* [REMOVED] - Debriefing window has started to be cleaned up. (blank box on dc)
* [REMOVED] - BearTrap Due to issues with the trap still staying active after removal.
* [REMOVED] - DZ_Patrol_Pack_EP1 Due to us no longer planing to remove backpacks from new spawns.
* [REMOVED] - All chance based systems for sight and sound from zeds they will now only agro if in view or your making noise. Should allow more freedom to move.

Known Bugs:

Zombies attacking tho objects.

Quick Install Info:

Full
Download Full Client Files and beta files from links above.
Navigate to your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory
Extract the @Dayz-1.7.6-Full.rar into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory and install the newest beta.
To start DayZ use a command line string like the below
Expansion\beta\ARMA2OA.exe -mod=@Dayz;CA;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -noFilePatching -skipIntro -nosplash -noPause -world=Chernarus

Patch
Download Patch Client Files and beta files from links above.
Extract the @Dayz-1.7.6-Patch.rar into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory and install the newest beta.
Expansion\beta\ARMA2OA.exe -mod=@Dayz;CA;Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -noFilePatching -skipIntro -nosplash -noPause -world=Chernarus

Steam
Right click Arma2: DayZ Mod, select properties.
When the window pops up go to the "BETAS" tab
Now Select 1.7.6 in the drop down box.
The files should now should now update
Launch as normal

(SOURCE)

Some nice additions and fixes listed. I'm sure Ducky will be fapping over the crossbow quiver.

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Cooling Corsair H100i
Some nice additions and fixes listed. I'm sure Ducky will be fapping over the crossbow quiver.

i like it but f the crossbow until they fix the sighting and add a re-curve or compound bow. Plus the crossbow makes a smoke cloud when fired like a gun. Give me a silenced rifle any day. I liked the crossbow so much because silenced guns were rare at the time. When I play now, I almost never take the xbow if I can help it.

brandonwh64

*Interesting NEWS!* 2/27/2013

DayZ Mod 1.7.6.1 Hotfix Released!

Patch Download:

DayZ Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Dayz-1.7.6.1-Patch.rar
Hive Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Hive-1.7.6.1-Patch.rar

Full Download:

Client Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Client-1.7.6.1-Full.rar
Server Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Hive-1.7.6.1-Patch.rar

Prerequisites:

* [Prerequisites] beta-patch (ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_102285.zip).
* [Prerequisites] Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x86 Redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328)
* [Prerequisites] New Mission File Downloaded from (http://www.silentspy.net/utility/dayz/mission-generator/)

Build Notes:

* dayz_code

Changelog:

* [UPDATED] - Fixed version issues.

* [UPDATED] - Updated Spanish String Tables

* [UPDATED] - Force save updated.

* [REMOVED] - New models by JoeysLucky22:

- (Soda) Mountain Green

- (Soda) Smasht (Smasht)

Quick Install Info:

Full

Extract the @Dayz-1.7.6-Full.rar into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory and install the newest beta.

Patch

Extract the @Dayz-1.7.6-Patch.rar into your arma 2 operation arrowhead directory and install the newest beta.

Steam

Launch as normal

SOURCE

System Name The White Breeze||Medion Akoya Ultrabook
Processor i7-3770k||Core i5-3317U
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER||Laptop?
Cooling Custom TEC waterloop||Laptop?
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz||8GB SDRAM
Video Card(s) 2X SLI MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning||Intel 4000
Storage Corsair GT 120GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB||500GB HDD with 32gb MSATA cache
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 4k||14" LED
Case NZXT Switch 810||Laptop shell?
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
Power Supply Seasonic XP-860 Platinum||Laptop Power Brick
Software Windows 7||Windows 8
*Interesting NEWS!* 2/27/2013

DayZ Mod 1.7.6.1 Hotfix Released!

Patch Download:

DayZ Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Dayz-1.7.6.1-Patch.rar
Hive Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Hive-1.7.6.1-Patch.rar

Full Download:

Client Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Client-1.7.6.1-Full.rar
Server Files: http://cdn.armafiles.info/latest/1.7.6/@Hive-1.7.6.1-Patch.rar

Prerequisites:

* [Prerequisites] beta-patch (ftp://downloads.bistudio.com/arma2.com/update/beta/ARMA2_OA_Build_102285.zip).
* [Prerequisites] Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 x86 Redistributable (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8328)
* [Prerequisites] New Mission File Downloaded from (http://www.silentspy.net/utility/dayz/mission-generator/)

Build Notes:

* dayz_code

Changelog:

* [UPDATED] - Fixed version issues.

* [UPDATED] - Updated Spanish String Tables

* [UPDATED] - Force save updated.

* [REMOVED] - New models by JoeysLucky22:

- (Soda) Mountain Green

- (Soda) Smasht (Smasht)

Quick Install Info:

Full

Patch

Steam

Launch as normal

SOURCE
So Why did they suddenly remove all the new models?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
No, it's because people on Reddit and the forum were complaining about them being named after people. Basically, some fat, no-life, mouth breathers made them go away. Bohemia caved in rather quickly. Pathetic.

brandonwh64

No, it's because people on Reddit and the forum were complaining about them being named after people. Basically, some fat, no-life, mouth breathers made them go away. Bohemia caved in rather quickly. Pathetic.

LOL what? I do not recognize a single name on there when it relates to a person.

*EDIT*

Found the post about the cans from a DEV

I'll start this insight by saying I was one of the people that complained in the 1.7.6 patch notes. Why? Because 1.7.5.1 simply was a shambles, and the thing spamming the 1.7.6 patch notes was a list of vainly named can models of developers who the community was already upset with. We wanted something to moan at and took that opportunity. Boy, we were wrong.

The models themselves are great. If you haven't seen them all, you can see them here. Why didn't we like them then? My thoughts are that it's how the release was worded. Seeing a list of random names in a model list isn't what we wanted to see, but perhaps the models should have been shown to us more directly and the names should have been more clearly stated as description only and not the object name.

The community response then? Yes, our response to moan was too fast with too much prejudice. Equally, however, the response to completely remove the models in a hotfix almost solely for that reason was also too fast. If a decision was made by the next release, there would have been time for the heat to die down and to gain a true opinion from the community. What we are left with now is half a community moaning about the new models being added and the other half moaning about them being removed.

But what now? There is a developer who has made some really sweet models but had his work torn to pieces by our peer-review community. We shouldn't let his hard work go amiss. The models should return, but the marketting should be different. I don't have an issue giving developers credit for their work, but after the shambles of 1.7.5.1, the naming should have been less vain and made less of a "one-shot glory attempt" and perhaps focussed more on the actual benefit here. New items, new models. The cans still exist for the same reasons, but they just add another shade of blue to the game.

My opinion?
Communtiy: Let's not rip this poor guys work up from our underlying fustration.
Devs: Keep the models. Name them more subtly. Market them better.

Last edited:
System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64

brandonwh64

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
It would be better if they could come up with better names for those things that make it more believable.

Can you post the thread here in quotes cause I cannot view that site from work.

http://www.fpsgeneral.com/news/dayz/23347-on-dayz-and-the-notorious-can-incident
On DayZ and The Notorious Can Incident said:
By NateRios 1 day ago
Category Icon DayZ

Earlier this month, the team working on the DayZ ArmA II mod (not the standalone version) released a patch for the game that introduced a whole slew of new models for cans in the game world. Soda cans, beer cans, beans, you name it.These new can models all had quirky, funny names dedicated to forum moderators and the community absolutely hated it to death.

These new can names were put into the game in an effort to pay homage to the folks who work tireless hours to upkeep the community and message boards, but ultimately a large portion of the community didn't appreciate the gesture.

Threads began sprouting up on popular gaming communities like Reddit and 4chan denouncing the new cans, declaring that they 'ruin the immersion and atmosphere of the game' and that this was nothing short of a grab for glory by the moderators and development team.

At the end of the day, the players' voice was heard and hotfix 1.7.6.1 removed all of the can models that had been introduced just 24 hours prior. The backlash and outpouring of hate was successful, but was it necessary?

In a game like DayZ, immersion in the game world is a crucial factor, that is not up for debate. Losing yourself in Chernarus, creeping through the overgrown foliage trying to avoid the attention of zombies and, more importantly, the eye of ruthless bandits, is what makes DayZ so special. There have been attempts to emulate this feeling that DayZ gives us but, if we're honest, nobody has nailed it down yet.

But was the immersion really 'ruined' by the inclusion of a handful of off-the-wall can names? After all, they're just cans, right?

Keep reading for more on what Dean 'Rocket' Hall is calling The Notorious Can Incident.

Imagine the following scenario, for a moment:

You're creeping through the desolate streets of Cherno, foraging for anything of use while trying to keep away from the prying eyes of bandits and hungry zombies. You sneak past a shambling group of undead, feet padding softly on the street below as you move by, crouched to keep the noise down. Ahead there is a supermarket, known for housing some much-needed perishables.

The door creaks quietly as you enter the market, light spilling off the barren shelves. The place looks to be abandoned, or at least you fervently hope it is. A noise sounds suddenly from the corner of the shop, you creep towards it removing your M1911, bracing yourself for a fight. As you round the corner, the zombie comes into your line of sight. Without hesitation, you lift your sidearm to your shoulder and put three quick rounds into the undead creature before you.

He drops to the ground in a heap of rotting flesh and putrid stench.

That's when you see it. Behind the shiftless corpse at your feet, a wealth of life-giving consumables are strewn about the floor. You rush over, abandoning all pretense of stealth. "This is it!" you think, "the supplies I've been foraging for all night." You're hoping for some beans and maybe a bottle of water or two to quench your thirst and sate your appetite.

You approach the loot, crouch down and pick up a dusty can, turning it over in your hands and inspecting the label. 'Herpy Dooves Canned Muffins' it reads. "What the hell is this?" you think, snatching up another can from the floor. The faded label reads 'mZLY yZLY'. You raise your eyebrows. "What the - what is mZLY yZLY?" you say to yourself, "Can I even drink this?"

That's when it hits you. Herpy Dooves. mZLY. These must be friends of Rocket's, or maybe forum moderators. In that instant, the immersion is gone. You're sitting at your desk, once again, playing a game on your computer in your office. No undead, no threats of banditry.

It's just a game, nothing more.

On the surface, the communities complaints about patch 1.7.6 and the updated can models seems petty. Childish, in fact. Trivial. But when you reflect on the fact that DayZ players have spent countless hours investing themselves into the world of Chernarus, it doesn't seem so trvial after all.

Not many games give you the ability to truly lose yourself in the environment, to forget the woes of daily life and immerse yourself completely in a fictitious game world. To spend time with friends online, foraging for supplies and doing your level best to stay alive in a harsh, desperate world.

DayZ has the power to give this to players and as these can models prove, it has the power to take it away as well.

Authors note: these are just my thoughts. I'd like to hear from you guys, as well. Sound off in the comments below or you can always hit up the forums to discuss the matter further.
Tags bohemia interactive dayz arma ii zombie mmo mmo zombie

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It would be better if they could come up with better names for those things that make it more believable.

Guess what? Zombies aren't real either. This is just stupid. The things people get worked up over/and things they don't get worked up over in reality makes me sick.

brandonwh64

Guess what? Zombies aren't real either. This is just stupid. The things people get worked up over/and things they don't get worked up over in reality makes me sick.

I guess I could have dealt with zacks big zax snacks if it was in the game

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R