• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2x4GB Kingston Hyperx 1333 CL7 + 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1333 CL7

michaelvocht

Dear forumers,

I would like to ask a question about combining these 2 sets of RAM.
The Kingston 1333mhz CL7 runs at 1.65v, and the Crucial 1333mhz CL7 at 1.50v.
By default, the BIOS on my Asrock P67 Pro3 (with an Intel Core i5-2500 @ 3.3Ghz) runs them both at CL9, at 1.59V.
Memtest86+ 5.00 is okay with that, no errors. Of course, I'd like to utilize the CL7.
Would someone know which settings to apply in the bios, and if it's possible with these two different sets?

These are the options I can change in the DRAM configuration, currently (automatically) at:

CAS# Latency: 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
Row Precharge Time: 9
RAS# Active Time: 24
Command Rate: 2N
Write Recovery Time: 10
Refresh Cycle Time: 107
RAS to CAS delay: 4
Write to Read Delay: 5
Read to Precharge: 5
Four Activate Window: 20
CAS Write Latency: 7

ODT WR (CHA) Auto
ODT WR (CHB) Auto
ODT NOM (CHA) Auto
ODT NOM (CHB) Auto
MRC Fast Boot Enabled

Thanks in advance!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Write Recovery Time: 10
Refresh Cycle Time: 107
RAS to CAS delay: 4
Write to Read Delay: 5
Read to Precharge: 5
Four Activate Window: 20
CAS Write Latency: 7

ODT WR (CHA) Auto
ODT WR (CHB) Auto
ODT NOM (CHA) Auto
ODT NOM (CHB) Auto
MRC Fast Boot Enabled

These should be pretty basic, and not need any changing at all @ 1333 MHz. Set your voltage to 1.65 V, and give it a go. FYI, all DDR3, by design, can withstand up to 1.95 V, it just doesn't have to be stable(which is why you see extreme benchers using 1.85 V+). So don't worry about giving the 1.5 V sticks 1.65 V.

Otherwise, try setting the first four timings, test, and you should be fine.

michaelvocht

Thank you cadaveca, but to what settings should i set these (or the first 4)? :

CAS# Latency: 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 9
Row Precharge Time: 9
RAS# Active Time: 24
Command Rate: 2N

I'm quite new to this. I tried setting the first three settings to 7, but I guess that wasn't enough.
I got errors when I tried that. Thx!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
if first three produce errors, then it is likely that the DIMMs from each set are not 100% compatible with each other. No other timings other than the first four are needed. the RAS# Active time(tRAS) can be set to 21, but even that shouldn't be "required". You can try 7-8-7, 8-8-8-, 8-8-7-, 8-9-8-

michaelvocht

Ah, thanks for the info :).

Funny thing however, yesterday I tried to run the Kingston RAM on it's own,
with the first three settings to 7, and the voltage on 1.65v (as implied on the label).
First 2 memtest rounds passed, but at the third it produced errors.

Then I tested the Kingstons on the BIOS default settings (9 9 9, 1.59V) and memtest
didn't procude errors (4 passes). Is my Kingston RAM broken?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ah, thanks for the info :).

Funny thing however, yesterday I tried to run the Kingston RAM on it's own,
with the first three settings to 7, and the voltage on 1.65v (as implied on the label).
First 2 memtest rounds passed, but at the third it produced errors.

Then I tested the Kingstons on the BIOS default settings (9 9 9, 1.59V) and memtest
didn't procude errors (4 passes). Is my Kingston RAM broken?

It is possible, but really, not likely. Usually ram has XMP-profile or something, an option in BIOS you can enable that will automatically change settings. On older platforms, there are many hidden timings on many motherboards that get changed "behind the scenes", so if your board has this option, I would give it a try rather than just changing your first three, and re-test.

Most memory comes with a lifetime warranty, and DDR3 is pretty common-place still, so getting a replacement if it is those sticks are bad should be very easy. However, the bits that make up the sticks may have changed greatly between now and when you originally got your sticks, and this might create issues with your other kit as well. The time between them leaving the factory greatly increases the chance of this as well. Nevermind mixing brands.

Also, running 4 sticks, made from two different kits, is never really recommended, either by board makers or memory makers. It can work fine, as you are now with the looser timings, but those timings that aren't seen...with a kit of two sticks, they are set for two sticks, not four. Usually, these are settings more pertaining to the memory controller and such that still most boards don't offer adjustment for, so if you CAN run mixed sets, you've gotten lucky.

michaelvocht

It is possible, but really, not likely. Usually ram has XMP-profile or something, an option in BIOS you can enable that will automatically change settings. On older platforms, there are many hidden timings on many motherboards that get changed "behind the scenes", so if your board has this option, I would give it a try rather than just changing your first three, and re-test.

Most memory comes with a lifetime warranty, and DDR3 is pretty common-place still, so getting a replacement if it is those sticks are bad should be very easy. However, the bits that make up the sticks may have changed greatly between now and when you originally got your sticks, and this might create issues with your other kit as well. The time between them leaving the factory greatly increases the chance of this as well. Nevermind mixing brands.

Also, running 4 sticks, made from two different kits, is never really recommended, either by board makers or memory makers. It can work fine, as you are now with the looser timings, but those timings that aren't seen...with a kit of two sticks, they are set for two sticks, not four. Usually, these are settings more pertaining to the memory controller and such that still most boards don't offer adjustment for, so if you CAN run mixed sets, you've gotten lucky.

I've decided to trade in my Kingstons & Crucials for 2 sets of Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 1600mhz CL8, that come with the XMP-profile you described. My asrock P67 Pro3 supports it, I loaded the XMP that matches my RAM, and now I'm running memtest. No errors so far. One question though, can the 1600mhz screw with my i5-2500?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I've decided to trade in my Kingstons & Crucials for 2 sets of Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB DDR3 1600mhz CL8, that come with the XMP-profile you described. My asrock P67 Pro3 supports it, I loaded the XMP that matches my RAM, and now I'm running memtest. No errors so far. One question though, can the 1600mhz screw with my i5-2500?

Nah, up to 1866 should be fine, but 2133 MHz can be hard with some stick/CPU/board combos.

Feel free to boost VCCSA up to 1.05 V on 1866 and 2133 MHz, should not need to change anything other than that, at most.