• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Any news on how many native SATA-3 ports Ivy Bridge E will feature?

Crowned Clown

Any news on how many native SATA-III (6.0 Gbit/s) ports will the new Ivy Bridge E will feature? I think it's just about time to remove/phaseout those SATA 2 ports and I was hoping they'd replace em' all with SATA 3. Who doesn't want a 4X-6X SSD in RAID-0 with TRIM. (2000-3000 MB/s) :D

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
We'll have to see if they change chipset from X79 to something different, the socket is supposed to remain 2011.

I guess Ivy-E will just be a drop in replacement for LGA 2011 like Gulftown 32nm was for socket 1366, same chipset.

My guess is we'll be stuck with only 2 sata3 ports.

Just get an highpoint rocketRAID like I did.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I guess Ivy-E will just be a drop in replacement for LGA 2011 like Gulftown 32nm was for socket 1366, same chipset.

+1: Pretty sure this is what Intel is planning to do.

Who doesn't want a 4X-6X SSD in RAID-0 with TRIM. (2000-3000 MB/s)
Hehe. As much as I enjoy my two SSDs in RAID-0, the extra bandwidth isn't going to get you a whole lot because even at 1GB/s other things start to bottleneck. So all in all, I don't think this is necessary. Add some redundancy though (aka, no RAID-0), SSDs can fail too and the more you add the more likely one of them will fail. Also at this point it could be cheaper to get a revo drive. You're also assuming whatever raid controller you get can handle doing 3-4GB/s, that's a steep task for many hardware RAID controllers IMHO. Just because the controller has the ports doesn't mean it can push them all at 100% without losing performance.

Feänor

There's an article on tom'shardware saying (take this as it is: a logical deduction. No hardproof whatsoever) that lga 2011 is going to be replaced and ivy-e just skipped. Haswell is coming late this spring, and haswell-e could be released by the end of the year, so no big surprise why it could be skipped. The new socket would come because haswell have more things (usb among others) included in the cpu die, so new chipset (X99) needed.

http://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/haswell-E-X99,1-37098.html

It is in french, sorry for everyone that can't understand it!

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Intel is still officially saying that IB-e will be on the same socket. Given its scheduled release, the IB-e processors will be competing with Haswell. Haswell is supposed to be the mainstream option, and far more resources are going towards it. All of this leads to the conclusion that IB-e will not get a new PCH.

This said, remember what was promised internally of X79 (you can dig up the slides from this website). There were supposed to be more SATA ports (Intel officially only supported 6), more USB 3.0 ports, and that SATA was supposedly focused more on III than II. Some boards even opened up the locked off SATA, but they were murderously expensive.

I'd be happy with X79, assuming it was that. If they could drop down to the 45 or 32 nm process, decrease the heat output, and actually deliver on that I'd be happy. As it stands, the 65 nm process is just incapable of delivering the performance needed.

All of this hinges on Intel giving a damn about the high end processors. They've shown time and again that it isn't their priority. With AMD functionally out of the market, we may never see another value driven high end processor. I hope this is incorrect, but X79 is likely the end of the line for IB-e.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Word is, X79 will remain the core logic for IvB-E, so 2x SATA 6 Gb/s + 4x SATA 3 Gb/s.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Word is, X79 will remain the core logic for IvB-E, so 2x SATA 6 Gb/s + 4x SATA 3 Gb/s.

It's not like this is really a bad thing though. The only reason to need SATA 6Gb is if you have SSDs that support it. Otherwise it doesn't really matter. A regular hard drive won't need the bandwidth it offers. Maybe other people would consider getting more than 2 SSDs but I don't see myself doing that. I've been more than happy with skt2011 and X79. Despite it not having more features I think it's still a capable platform nonetheless.

Crowned Clown

Just get an highpoint rocketRAID like I did.

Didn't know that, does it support TRIM in RAID array?

What my point here is; isn't it just about time they phaseout those SATA 2 already? EOL (End of Life). Just like SATA 1 is history.

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
Thanks for info but this is sad , AMD has 6 sata3 for nearly 2 years with SB 950 and intel still limiting spec .

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
What my point here is; isn't it just about time they phaseout those SATA 2 already? EOL (End of Life). Just like SATA 1 is history.

Because the only place where SATA 6Gb is going to be useful is with solid state drives and most people generally aren't going to have more than one or two of them. SATA 3Gb is more than enough for rotation media hard drives. Also consider that X79 (like all other 7 and 6 series board,) uses DMI for chipset communication (I think X79 might also route 8 PCI-E lanes to the chipset, but don't take my word on that,) so the amount of bandwidth that is there might be a little tight if you start pushing that many SATA 6G devices plus all the other devices on of tied off of the PCH which includes gigabit ethernet (maybe dual lan,) as well as USB 3.0 and any eSATA controllers that may exist. It's not like the chipset is sitting there doing nothing.

AMD also is in a different position than Intel. AMD does not have PCI-E directly off the CPU like Intel does (with the exception of APUs,) where the PCI-E lanes are on the north bridge and all PCI-E traffic plus SATA traffic and everything else goes through HyperThansport which has vastly more bandwidth than DMI does (considering it has to handle 24 PCI-E lanes plus everything on the motherboard for a 790FX, 890FX, or 990FX.)

So all in all, AMD is in a position to easily implement it and have plenty of bandwidth to satisfy it and Intel very well might not. The real question you have to ask yourself is, how much of a difference does this really make? I suspect Intel asked themselves the same question and figured two ports was enough at the time. X79 has been out for a while now, it's not like it's a new chipset either. Also when your have 40 PCI-E lanes, I think you can find some room to add a good RAID card. :p