• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ATI HD 3650 on Acer Aspire 5920

jesus of suburbia

Hello evryone :)
This is my situation: I got this Acer Aspire 5920 with a nVidia GeForce 8600M GS that is of course burned.
I tried the oven trick and now it works but I'm sure that it's going to be soon broken again.
So I decided to substitute my current nVidia with an ADI HD 3650 - which is compatible as far as I know - but I've red somewhere that a BIOS problem could happen.
If I didn't misunderstand, my BIOS should be able to recognize my new ATI and in order to do that I should "update" it to the new ATI features. How can I fix that? Is it enough to flash my mobo BIOS to the last version or have I to download something elsewhere?
I'm typing here 'cause I found this link that seems exaclty what I'm looking for, but I have no idea neither how it works and if I'm on the right way.
Thank you in advance for your answers and please forgive my terrible English.
Regards,
Enzo.

jesus of suburbia

Here is a good page that has your laptop listed. Looks like it MAY can be upgraded to a 9600M

http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/396320-acer-mxm-models-cards.html

Thank you for your answer, that topic really gives me hope.
But this guy is basically giving me the 3650 for free, so if I can avoid to buy an expensive graphic card it would be perfect.
Unfortunately, in the topic you linked is no possible to click the Ugrade to HD 3650 link. It's says page not found. :confused:
Any other possibility to flash my BIOS to the 3650 features?

Last edited:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
More stuff for your switch. It looks like it will work without a bios flash from what this guys says.

[YT]CWE-tGSSOcA[/YT]

jesus of suburbia

Thank you again.
I really wish to be happy like him tomorrow, when I will try the ATI gc.
For now, I update the BIOS to the latest version (downloadable via ACER support).
I guess this isn't a bad idea. It won't turn the things worse at least.
I hope.