• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 7970 GHZ vapor-x

pep20

Hi,this card have voltage locked or unlocked?because i read that for some people is locked...I want to buy it,but this is a big problem.Thanks :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
some are locked, some aren't. The newer the card, the more likely it will be "locked" from software voltage controls, and that goes for any brand. For guaranteed unlocked card, buy a used card.

pep20

some are locked, some aren't. The newer the card, the more likely it will be "locked" from software voltage controls, and that goes for any brand. For guaranteed unlocked card, buy a used card.

thanks,this is a big problem..
i saw this card: His 7970 iceq x2 GHZ.

It is voltage unlocked(4-5 reviews)..is a good choice? HIS is a good brand?thanks :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
thanks,this is a big problem..
i saw this card: His 7970 iceq x2 GHZ.

It is voltage unlocked(4-5 reviews)..is a good choiche? HIS is a good brand?thanks :D

Can't go by reviews, unfortunately, when it comes to voltage unlock. Check out all reviews of ASUS DirectCUII, even most recently posted by [H]ardOCP just last week. Then look at the threads here, and people with problems with voltage unlocking.

That's not to say that this is the reviewer's fault, but what reviewers get and what is on the store shelves is not always the same. Could simply be that reviewer got a sample many months ago, but had other stuff to review before that card, or whatever...

Since reviewer got said card, product in retail was updated with a new version to fix problems end users had.

Unfortunately, when it comes to GPUS right now, AMD's partners are, in a big way, presenting things in a way that may not reflect what all end users experience. Recently NVidia did the same thing, with older GTX680's being voltage unlocked, and even specifically a certain card coming with a connector to modify the card easily with. Nvidia told partners they could not offer voltage control any more, and now cards you buy do not offer the same flexibility that most reviews show.

Personally ,when it comes to brands, I think they are all roughly equal when it comes to product quality. Technically, they all deliver the same physical product. What is different, however, is what level of support they provide, and how that works out is going to vary depending where you are globally. For me, certain companies work best, but someone in the UK might not have the same sort of luck.

pep20

Can't go by reviews, unfortunately, when it comes to voltage unlock. Check out all reviews of ASUS DirectCUII, even most recently posted by [H]ardOCP just last week. Then look at the threads here, and people with problems with voltage unlocking.

That's not to say that this is the reviewer's fault, but what reviewers get and what is on the store shelves is not always the same. Could simply be that reviewer got a sample many months ago, but had other stuff to review before that card, or whatever...

Since reviewer got said card, product in retail was updated with a new version to fix problems end users had.

Unfortunately, when it comes to GPUS right now, AMD's partners are, in a big way, presenting things in a way that may not reflect what all end users experience. Recently NVidia did the same thing, with older GTX680's being voltage unlocked, and even specifically a certain card coming with a connector to modify the card easily with. Nvidia told partners they could not offer voltage control any more, and now cards you buy do not offer the same flexibility that most reviews show.

Personally ,when it comes to brands, I think they are all roughly equal when it comes to product quality. Technically, they all deliver the same physical product. What is different, however, is what level of support they provide, and how that works out is going to vary depending where you are globally. For me, certain companies work best, but someone in the UK might not have the same sort of luck.

ok,thanks..so,sapphire vapor-x vs his?:D.Best cooler?

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
vapor x gets my vote

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
vapor x gets my vote

Seconded, my choice for ATI has always and will always be Sapphire.

I have 10 Sapphire cards and not a single one gave me issues.

pep20

Seconded, my choice for ATI has always and will always be Sapphire.

Ok,so vapor x has good cooling sistem?is better than iceq x2? And for overclock depends on luck?

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro

I've had 6 and they have all been flawless. 6870 and 7870 are my favorites cooling wise as the temps on my 7870 are 30 C idle and 55-60 C load