• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2 GB

The 7850 is more power efficient and performs much better if you are into OC. The 2 cards are within a couple % of eachother. AMD can lower the price of the 7850 to match this and then it would be the better choice for enthusiasts who don't mind overclocking.
Any factory over clocked 7850 beats this, and many come with 1000mhz and still have another 20-25% room for more over clock
Either way I bet amd will come out with 7850 boost edition with the whole new powertune goodies which will easily clear knock this 650boost to even lower prices, meanwhile 7790 has some overclock room and is cheaper so would take a bit of price cut

This card is the new GTX 460 1gb. Great value. I owned the GTX 460 768mb. I'm thinking the 650 boost 1gb will be a good replacement for that card and bring me back to team green.

Oc wise not so much, but it does offer probably the best value for NVIDIA just as the GTX 460 did back then. If they make a low pro variant in 1 gb, that would be perfect. I love itx as do many others. Right now we still have to settle for a 7750 :(

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Definitely a good card, I can see why some of the locals are upset.

Last edited:
Yes, but you don't really need 2GB VRAM in this segment, so 95% of the gamers will do just fine with the much reasonably priced 1GB version, and perhaps if you would compare the two with that price in mind..... BTW, why on earth they not use 1.5GB with a 192bit wide bus is just beyond me, and if anyone knows the answer please enlighten me.

I thought I did compare the two with price in-mind

I guess if your really strapped for $14 or out of the delivery market. Its a $4 differance if your looking at MSI or EVGA Superclocked.

You loose out on
192 Shader Cores
16 Texture Units
$75 in-game currency
10% performance increase from a base GTX 660 (15% when max OC)
for just $14
$14 is just over what tax is going to be for the item so its not a stretch.

It just another way to sell off GK106 chips that didnt make the cut for the GTX 660 at the highest price possible.

Nvidia as a company is entitled to charge what they want for there products but as a consumer I can say look thats a shitty deal from whats currently out on the market.
They can easily ditch the $150 in-game currency and lower the 660 price a bit more but that wont make money off the GK106 chips that cant be in either the 660 or the 650 Ti.

You really think an informed consumer would not rather have the better card. I rather get the most out of my money at the time I purchase it whenever possible.

Last edited:
Nvidia as a company is entitled to charge what they want for there products but as a consumer I can say look thats a shitty deal from whats currently out on the market.
They can easily ditch the $150 in-game currency and lower the 660 price a bit more but that wont make money off the GK106 chips that cant be in either the 660 or the 650 Ti.

You really think an informed consumer would not rather have the better card. I rather get the most out of my money at the time I purchase it whenever possible.

They give you 7850-ish (or more) performance for a lower price, so they giving users a card with the best price/performance ratio by far, period. I guess the card will probably end up around $115-125 after rebates which pretty much renders all other cards a nogo except for those who overclock perhaps.
And you are not their costumer, you are one of the rare persons here who doesn't see this as a good card, only because it was not made by AMD. How is it that most of us can appreciate and like good products from both sides, and most of us are happy when we see a new and exciting hardware (which might induce pricewar goodness upon us btw), except you?

They give you 7850-ish (or more) performance for a lower price, so they giving users a card with the best price/performance ratio by far, period. I guess the card will probably end up around $115-125 after rebates which pretty much renders all other cards a nogo except for those who overclock perhaps.
And you are not their costumer, you are one of the rare persons here who doesn't see this as a good card, only because it was not made by AMD. How is it that most of us can appreciate and like good products from both sides, and most of us are happy when we see a new and exciting hardware (which might induce pricewar goodness upon us btw), except you?

lol

Nevermind AMD. The GTX 660 is a better buy.

Cause i'm not blind to the fact that for $4 to $14 more you get a much better card from them with more features.

Sorry, I just dont appreciate being ripped off or others for that fact for a $4 to $14 dollars difference.

Maybe if I wish people were to waste money on a lesser product. I be raving about it.

I guess the card will probably end up around $115-125 after rebates... which might induce pricewar goodness upon us btw
Are you talking about this GTX650Ti Boost? When do you believe it could hit that bracket? Maybe after Maxwell hits...
This is not a start to a price war. This is to provide abutment to the GTX660, which Nvidia doesn't/didn't want to let slide below $200.

Both this from Nvidia and AMD release of the 7790, to me were to back fill so pricing won't tumble. Nvidia's move here isn't so much any driver necessitating AMD's price reduction on 7790’s, it was too high to begin with $130 would be perfect. While Nvidia has no reason to follow unless 7850/7870 pricing moves, and it really doesn't look like those will. Maybe things will change with a 1Gb GTX 650 Boost, but till then everyone will stand their ground.

You got to know Nvidia has had this rendition from day one, and has held it in reserve, but not sure what for… but how about this? Nvidia almost had to figure 6mo's back AMD coming with an lower cost chip/card to vie in the $180-240 (88XX). AMD would've known another GK106 (gelding) but with boost was an absolute likelihood. At that time Nvidia understood AMD's new offerings would arrive, and figured this would permit them something to respond with on an even lower price (aka 1Gb) at this point. Then a month or so back it became clear AMD (Sea Island) wasn’t in any rush but why…

Something tells me Bonaire was to be more, perhaps not a direct Pitcairn replacement but something that would provide strong profits at $180-240 price point. The Bonaire was more just a trial "what if" engineering design that came up short, and perhaps is a reason AMD pushed back 8XXX cards IDK. Although, instead of just scraping the design they trimmed it down to achieve the highest yields (why isn’t there both LE/XT) reduced memory bus, and use it to filled their gap. While not to long ago Nvidia knew what AMD had (purportedly a chip 10% under the 7850.. but it’s not really) they figured there's no reason holding it back anymore and plugged their gap. However they came out on the winning side, being able to hold to good price for them while a value to buyers.

Had AMD actual got Bonaire to be closure to a 7850, we might have seen more movement on prices, but as the way it played out the 7790 has very little bearing on the GTX 650 Boost 2Gb pricing.

Last edited:
lol

Nevermind AMD. The GTX 660 is a better buy.

No, the 660 is just a better card. Or how do you explain that almost all expert on the Interent (including W1zzard) reaches the same conslusion about this card as how is it on this picture? (and let's just not forget that this is the more expensive 2GB version)

No, the 660 is just a better card. Or how do you explain that almost all expert on the Interent (including W1zzard) reaches the same conslusion about this card as how is it on this picture? (and let's just not forget that these numbers are most likely based on the more expensive 2GB version)

Did you bother reading the review ?

That chart is based on GTX 660 @ $215 :rolleyes:

Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB @ $183.99
Its not like there running out of these cards either when there limited to 10 per customer.

Nvidia by introducing the GTX 650 Ti Boost @ $169.99 it just keeps cards above it from droping in price.

Gtpko141

System Name Swagman!!!
Processor AMD FX 6100@4,4 Ghz
Motherboard MSI FXA990-GD65
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212
Memory Corsair vengeance 8gb (2*4gb) 1866 Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte gtx 660 oc
Storage WD caviar blue 500gb
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 933HD
Case Thermaltake commander ms-i usb3
Power Supply Coolermaster gx 550 watt
Not only in newegg i just got the gigabyte gtx 660 oc to replace my 7770 from a local shop at the price of 185$ thats a steal:roll:

Did you bother reading the review ?

That chart is based on GTX 660 @ $215 :rolleyes:

Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 2GB @ $183.99
Its not like there running out of these cards either when there limited to 10 per customer.

Nvidia by introducing the GTX 650 Ti Boost @ $169.99 it just keeps cards above it from droping in price.

NO, that card is 203.99, and I don't even understand anymore why am i arguing with you tbh. Go ahead and hate this great card or Nvidia as much as you like, I'm done.

Gtpko141

System Name Swagman!!!
For now yes but trust me the 180$ price is great for the card gtx 660 is!!!

Gtpko141

System Name Swagman!!!
Also i thing that at 170$ in newegg you can get the msi twinfrozr II wich has one of the best cooling solutions and it must oc's better than the stock one :D

Gtpko141

System Name Swagman!!!
Well i didn't take with a rebate just read my post i took it 185$ cash :laugh:

Gtpko141

System Name Swagman!!!
I bet he didn't noticed that one:roll:

Do you not like reading ?

There is a $20.00 rebate on it right under the price. :laugh:

Take your pic from rebate or none rebate

Newegg isnt the only one selling GTX 660s for under $185.

No it's $200. That's why I'm done with you in this subject. You are seriously want to take special sales and rebates into comparing cards in high quality reviews.I also wonder how much a GTX650ti Boost 1GB gonna cost after you apply some specials, coupons, rebates or whatnot.

No it's $200. That's why I'm done with you in this subject. You are seriously want to take special sales and rebates into comparing cards in high quality reviews.I also wonder how much a GTX650ti Boost 1GB gonna cost after you apply some specials, coupons, rebates or whatnot.

Really ?

If the prices set in the review reflect actual market then I'd agree but they dont.

Just on Newegg alone there 7 cards GTX 660 under the $215 dollar price comparison in the review without a rebate.
5 of those are Overclocked.
4 cards are being sold under $189.99 at the time of the review.
3 of those 7 cards are sold without rebate at $199 & $209.

The review implies a $45 dollar differance when there is a $20 at the time it was published.

Even after the rebate expires there will only be a $30 dollar differance. $169 to $199. So that chart you pointed out is still not inline with the current market.

You have to take the review for what it is.

GTX 650 TI Boost on Newegg. No rebates.

Wow, the pricing used in any review is what either manufacture along with AIB's want you to believe and promote as the long term written record. Only a few pricing sites will maintain the actuals of pricing including rebates, codes, or "add to basket" among other tricks to project prices are still bolstered. While reviews can’t take in account all the regions and deal so they print what manufacture are wanting everyone to believe (it's the party line). But then they all turn around and encourage /supplement movement with rebates, codes, etc, that are sponsored and/or unwritten by them or AIB. Not calculating such offers is not considering the changes and flux that is taking place in the market and not recognizing that as competition between side and between AIB’s.

Use them or not but they are a true barometer to the what is happening in the market no matter what they want you to believe.

Last edited:
Wow, the pricing used in any review is what either remanufacture along with AIB want you to believe and promote as the long term written record. Only very few pricing sites will maintain the actuals of pricing including rebates, or price in basket another trick to project price are still bolstered. While reviews can’t take in account all the regions and deal so they print what manufacture are wanting everyone to believe. But then turn around and encourage /supplement movement with rebates or codes that are sponsored or unwritten by them or AIB. Not calculating such offers is not considering the changes and flux that is taking place in the market and not recognizing that as competition between side and between AIB’s.

Use them or not but they are a true barometer to the what is happening in the market no matter what they want you to believe.
I agree that they shape localized market decisions, but you can't project that to the whole global market. You gonna need to take a mean value from the market, and use that in your calculations. Picking up the best possible price which is a special and some limited sale can't and won't give you objective and correct result imho. (I did not find too many worldwide on pcpartpicker and on other similar online sites), so it's not the major trend atm). The gtx660 is not $183 atm, so you can't treat it like that in comparision, well not yet at least, but let's hope it's gonna be soon;)

System Name NEW
Processor Intel 4770 non-K
Motherboard Gigabyte H81M-DS2V
Cooling CM Hyper 212 plus
Memory 16gb Muskin
Video Card(s) XFX 380X 4gb
Storage Sandisk 120gb plus WD blue 1tb
Display(s) AOC 23.5 LED bl
Case XIGMATEK
Audio Device(s) motherboard
Power Supply Cooler Master 500
interesting all the other reviews i have seen of this card on other sites seem to favor the 7850 in the benchmarks against this card. anandtech had this card beating the 7850 by 3 percent if BF3 but everything else favored the 7850, i think they said by 8 percent on average. don't quote me on that. cursious how this site has the 650 ti boost being better.

Windows 8 and beta drivers would be my guess.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
If the prices set in the review reflect actual market then I'd agree but they dont

I checked prices last week and they were what I used in the review. Apparently NVIDIA reduced GTX 660 non-TI prices. I'm no fortune teller.

For the record. We do not use rebates as these are not available everywhere, and often complicated to get.

What's interresting is every 1Gb 7850 at Egg are $180 and not one with a rebate now... it wasn't uncommon even 10-12 day ago to see two or so at $160 or less after rebate. While appears many of the 2Gb models have moved up in price...