• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Alternative to powering my hard drive that has a broken power pin?

pizza

Does your board have a ide port to begin with ? If yes try that .Those ide to sata converters always seemed fishy when i used one to get data off an old maxtor 200 gig drive i had.One time it would show up then reboot 3 times and it would work.I would use the ide and lay the drive down on a static bag inside the case so the bottom is facing up.

You say that Windows is (7/8) is telling you the folders or corrupt could it be that you pulled the power plug when the psu was still plugged in ?

Yes changing the board would be good,But finding one that would match up to his drive that is not in use still will be hard (2007) is not that old of a drive and most users (like me that still have an old 200gig) usually use them for storing music- backups of main drive.....It is worth a shot though.

(Sorry if it makes some sense and then not ,Just woke up and need my coffee :twitch:)

yea actually i did take the power cord out out the drive with out shutting down windows but i thought it was different this way? now my drive is saying 96 gb unallocated in disk management, even though its a 160 gb drive. The 2 partitions are not showing up anymore is the drive slowly falling apart ?

pizza

Buy a Identical drive used on e bay and switch the boards. I really doubt its the adapter

ok, so i am going to try and replace the board and i found a very similar pcb board online.
but i have a question, i have heard that with recent hard drives you cant just replace the eletric board but you have to take some of the chips off? im not sure if that is true in my case but here is my drive "WD1600AAJB-00PVA0" it came out in 2007 so i hope not. But if its true then i guess it is but is there a way that i can find out ?

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
yea actually i did take the power cord out out the drive with out shutting down windows but i thought it was different this way? now my drive is saying 96 gb unallocated in disk management, even though its a 160 gb drive. The 2 partitions are not showing up anymore is the drive slowly falling apart ?

Well you fried the drive when you did that.

winofiend

actually in disk management its saying 149 gb again so i guess that was temporally.

From the sounds of it, after reading this, it seems you were doing everything in a Live system. Touching live wires with solder and so on? Oo

And I bet you plugged the HDD back in, Live too?

I did that by accident once with a non hot-swappable drive caddy on an old 80gb drive. It showed up as 80gb in devices, but everything on it was kaput.

Good luck!!

oO

pizza

From the sounds of it, after reading this, it seems you were doing everything in a Live system. Touching live wires with solder and so on? Oo

And I bet you plugged the HDD back in, Live too?

I did that by accident once with a non hot-swappable drive caddy on an old 80gb drive. It showed up as 80gb in devices, but everything on it was kaput.

Good luck!!

oO

yea i did and i stopped doing that and the drive seems like its trying to go back to normal after i stopped.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
yea i did and i stopped doing that and the drive seems like its trying to go back to normal after i stopped.

Never seen a drive with corrupted data heal itself on a regular consumer drive...

Try and get your data, you wish to save, off the drive now.
If it is corrupt... run a disk check on it to fix it, as much as possible.
And, try again.

Sounds like you are going to end up frying something... unless, that is your goal; then, go for it.

pizza

Never seen a drive with corrupted data heal itself on a regular consumer drive...

Try and get your data, you wish to save, off the drive now.
If it is corrupt... run a disk check on it to fix it, as much as possible.
And, try again.

Sounds like you are going to end up frying something... unless, that is your goal; then, go for it.

OK, so i took the advice to swap my pcb board with a working pcb board and i finally got one. So im going to see if it just works so here goes nothing!!

Last edited:
System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
if it doesn't work buy an molex splitter cable and insert one plug into the broken hard drive then cut and strip a wire from the other plug to solder where the broken pin was.

take it to a mobile phone technician they should be skilled enough with a soldering iron to put the wire on without destroying the hard drive.

pizza

if it doesn't work buy an molex splitter cable and insert one plug into the broken hard drive then cut and strip a wire from the other plug to solder where the broken pin was.

take it to a mobile phone technician they should be skilled enough with a soldering iron to put the wire on without destroying the hard drive.

yea it did Not work, i was hopping it would but it sucked. Now its making a power failure noise in the drive with both pcb's boards. :banghead: It starts up and shuts itself off i hope my data is not fried.

System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
yea it did Not work, i was hopping it would but it sucked. Now its making a power failure noise in the drive with both pcb's boards. :banghead: It starts up and shuts itself off i hope my data is not fried.

Honestly you've most likely lost your data as beyond your means of recovery. It sounds like you may have damaged something inside the drive at this point.

If the data is important enough to you, it's time to send it to an expert.

Otherwise, use this as a lesson to always have multiple copies of data you care about. 1 is none - 2 is one, etc.

pizza

Honestly you've most likely lost your data as beyond your means of recovery. It sounds like you may have damaged something inside the drive at this point.

If the data is important enough to you, it's time to send it to an expert.

Otherwise, use this as a lesson to always have multiple copies of data you care about. 1 is none - 2 is one, etc.

Even though the drive is damaged i cant believe the pcb board swap worked because data pros said it wouldn't. I put the damaged pcb board from my drive and put it on the replica drive that i got and it put up in windows.

Last edited:
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Great, Its work many time for me

pizza

Great, Its work many time for me

yea my damaged drive is not working and is clicking but the pcb board thing for this western digital drive works. Honestly i thought it wouldn't