• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Real-time video encoding and streaming over home network?

• Thread starter Deleted member 106413
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 106413

Hello everyone, a weird idea is walking around my brain these days... :laugh:
I recently got a Raspberry PI model B, which I currently use to stream movies from an ext4 HDD connected to it. The issue is, some movies are really big and have a high bitrate (20-24Mbps) so it stutters a bit when streaming over wifi. Some movies are unfortunately unwatchable due to this and I have to re-encode them (I use MediaCoder with CUDA and my GTX680 to reduce the bitrate to 8-10Mbps).
What I was wondering is, since my gaming pc is connected via ethernet and I get full 100Mbit speed to the raspberry, could I:
1) Get the movie file streammed by the raspberry
2) Encode it in real-time to 8-10Mbit/s
3) Stream it in live to the laptop connected via wifi
I know it seems really complicated and probably impossible, but I'd like to know your opinions about this, and maybe a better and easier method it there happens to be one.
Thanks in advance.

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Re-encoding is the only reliable option. The other option (way less reliable) is to cough up cash (because the free ones never work correctly and format compatibility is nill) for a DLNA media server software and stream from the PC leaving the raspberry as a table wedge.

D

Deleted member 106413

Re-encoding is the only reliable option. The other option (way less reliable) is to cough up cash (because the free ones never work correctly and format compatibility is nill) for a DLNA media server software and stream from the PC leaving the raspberry as a table wedge.

Is there any way that you know of to encode and stream a file in real time? And what would be the advantages of having a DLNA server? How would that solve my problem?

D

Deleted member 106413

I *might* have solved using XBMC and putting this code in the Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml file:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <network>
    <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>  
  </network>
</advancedsettings>

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
Isn't this exactly what PS3 Media server does? Basically take any sort of movie from your PC and encode on the fly to a format and bitrate that's playable on PS3. The bitrate and other codec-specific parameters can even be adjusted in the expert mode menus.

D

Deleted member 106413

Isn't this exactly what PS3 Media server does? Basically take any sort of movie from your PC and encode on the fly to a format and bitrate that's playable on PS3. The bitrate and other codec-specific parameters can even be adjusted in the expert mode menus.

Thanks for the info, but thinking again I didn't need to change the bitrate, as I can play about any 10-15GB 1080p movies I throw at it. The issue was that MPC-HC didn't keep as much buffer as XBMC with the advancedsettings tweaks does. Basically with this tweak, XBMC downloads the entire file on the go and plays it while doing so. This way, I always have 1-2 minutes in the cache ready to be streammed, even when there is a lot of action.