• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Potential security issue

System Name ASUS ROG Strix Scar GL703GS
Processor i7-8750H
Video Card(s) GTX 1070 8GB (Max-P)
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Display(s) 1920x1080 G-Sync
Software Windows 11
Since the tool runs elevated with admin rights, clicking on the Validation tab links may lead to security issues because the opening browser will inherit and go on the net with the same privileges (disabling also Protected mode for example with IE...). The same happens when new versions are found and you're asked to update through a web link...

Please make sure the links are launched with current user privileges, not with the same inherited by GPU-z.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Since the tool runs elevated with admin rights, clicking on the Validation tab links may lead to security issues because the opening browser will inherit and go on the net with the same privileges (disabling also Protected mode for example with IE...). The same happens when new versions are found and you're asked to update through a web link...

Please make sure the links are launched with current user privileges, not with the same inherited by GPU-z.

I don't think you can do that. An application runs as only one users and when the application launches another one it will always be as the current user. I don't see many easy ways to get around this. It is only a security hole if you use that browser after it opens for other things, but I don't think what you asking is easily achievable.

I'm sure W1zz will comment on the matter.

Processor i7-8750H
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Software Windows 11
No.
You can test this yourself:
0. enable UAC if you don't have it enabled, and enable Protected mode in IE 9/10.
1. close all IE9/10 windows.
3. run GPU-z and go to the tab Validation
4. click on the link in blue 'here'. It will open a new IE instance and go to that URL.
5. on an empty page area right-click and choose "Properties":
Area: Protected mode disabled

It's a potential issue as no-one will notice you're running the web "unprotected" after visiting that link (and the web page may be hacked or something else...). I'm sure there's a way to force current user privileges for a launched application, not inherited by parent task, at least I hope so...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-current-user-privilege-from-an-admin-process

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
No.
You can test this yourself:
0. enable UAC if you don't have it enabled, and enable Protected mode in IE 9/10.
1. close all IE9/10 windows.
3. run GPU-z and go to the tab Validation
4. click on the link in blue 'here'. It will open a new IE instance and go to that URL.
5. on an empty page area right-click and choose "Properties":
Area: Protected mode disabled

It's a potential issue as no-one will notice you're running the web "unprotected" after visiting that link (and the web page may be hacked or something else...). I'm sure there's a way to force current user privileges for a launched application, not inherited by parent task.

You clearly didn't read my post.

First of all, what you're asking very well might not be possible.

What's you're describe also (protected mode disabled under UAC admin,) is the default behavior for IE under the admin account. You can't change the settings because this is hard coded into IE. If IE starts was elevated privileges protected mode will be disabled and there is no way to enable it with elevated permissions since nothing is restricting it.

So if you can't start IE as another user and this is default behavior for MSIE, this isn't correctable so you can complain about how bad it is as much as you want, but you're complaining to the wrong people because this is all Microsoft and Windows that is doing that and GPU-Z only shows it because it is required to be run with elevated permissions.

My advice would be: If this really bothers you, then don't use IE, but no one here will be able to fix that for you since it's expected behavior of Windows (not even GPU-Z.)

Your link looks neat, but W1zz still has to implement it which may or may not work. It's a work around for the shortcomings of IE though and I'm not sure if it's worth the time versus just informing people. He'll make that call though, not me.

Processor i7-8750H
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Software Windows 11
You clearly didn't read my post.

First of all, what you're asking very well might not be possible.

What's you're describe also (protected mode disabled under UAC admin,) is the default behavior for IE under the admin account. You can't change the settings because this is hard coded into IE. If IE starts was elevated privileges protected mode will be disabled and there is no way to enable it with elevated permissions since nothing is restricting it.

So if you can't start IE as another user and this is default behavior for MSIE, this isn't correctable so you can complain about how bad it is as much as you want, but you're complaining to the wrong people because this is all Microsoft and Windows that is doing that and GPU-Z only shows it because it is required to be run with elevated permissions.

My advice would be: If this really bothers you, then don't use IE, but no one here will be able to fix that for you since it's expected behavior of Windows (not even GPU-Z.)

Your link looks neat, but W1zz still has to implement it which may or may not work. It's a work around for the shortcomings of IE though and I'm not sure if it's worth the time versus just informing people. He'll make that call though, not me.

What about a launcher task that runs with current-user privileges to start the GPU-z elevated child process, AND handle external links?

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
People use IE other than for downloading a new browser?
Dont use IE?

Processor i7-8750H
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Software Windows 11
People use IE other than for downloading a new browser?
Dont use IE?

Please let's not start another boring flame VS IE... FFox for example does not even have a sandbox like IE and Chrome and has many cirtical vulnerabilities (as for all browsers): http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

I don't think it's a IE-only issue: all tasks and browsers launched within GPU-z will inherit its privileges resulting in a security potential risk on the web...
Other interesting links:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/90713/Run-an-application-under-current-logon-user-s-priv
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2278183
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682429(v=vs.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb625960.aspx

Last edited:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
I'm sure there's a way to force current user privileges for a launched application, not inherited by parent task

couldn't find one.

the most promising solution seems to add a task to task scheduler that runs a program as currently logged in user, now. clearly not a solution

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
What about a launcher task that runs with current-user privileges to start the GPU-z elevated child process, AND handle external links?

good lord. this is a browser/OS security problem. w1z can't be asked to fix something that is Microsoft's problem. i would argue the best course of action is to use an alternative browser and make people aware of the inherent flaws in IE/Windows security design.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
If you are worried about your browsing habits after you have updated, then why not close the browser and re-open? Why click the link to open your browser to obtain the new update if you are worried? I would just become a active member at TPU and grab the new GPU-Z when btarunr posts it in the news section... Err wait I already do that.. ;) Honestly you're worried about your browsing habits after GPU-Z launches your browser for the new update.. I don't see that as being a GPU-Z flaw. ;)

Processor i7-8750H
Storage NVMe 3GB/s
Software Windows 11
couldn't find one.

the most promising solution seems to add a task to task scheduler that runs a program as currently logged in user, now. clearly not a solution
Yes, it's something MS should add to the OS. The "potential problem" is obviously not limited to GPU-z only but to all programs with admin rights able to open a link. There should be an easy way to launch a task with a lower privilege level with Windows, and MS should provide a documented solution.

i would argue the best course of action is to use an alternative browser and make people aware of the inherent flaws in IE/Windows security design.
Happens the same with FFox and other browsers since they'll run with Admin privileges. It's not a IE specific flaw.

If you are worried about your browsing habits after you have updated, then why not close the browser and re-open? Why click the link to open your browser to obtain the new update if you are worried? I would just become a active member at TPU and grab the new GPU-Z when btarunr posts it in the news section... Err wait I already do that.. ;) Honestly you're worried about your browsing habits after GPU-Z launches your browser for the new update.. I don't see that as being a GPU-Z flaw. ;)
Of course I know how to avoid that with a workaround solution :laugh: but many users won't notice this and will be exposed to more potential security risks once their browser will have the highest privileges.

Thank you for your replies...