• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Highest safe temperature for laptop GPU

hypr

I'am wondering if any1 know which is highest safest temperature for laptop graphic card nVidia Geforce GT 635M ddr3 2gb? When im playing GTA4 it gets up to 75 or 80 degrees. Thats the highest temperature i had till now and i want to know if its safe or not?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'am wondering if any1 know which is highest safest temperature for laptop graphic card nVidia Geforce GT 635M ddr3 2gb? When im playing GTA4 it gets up to 75 or 80 degrees. Thats the highest temperature i had till now and i want to know if its safe or not?

Perfectly safe and normal for a laptop GPU. :)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
You're close. 95c tops. The GPU will begin to throttle itself once it gets too hot. If you're really concerned about it, you could try applying new thermal paste/cleaning/blowing out dust. Or get yourself a laptop cooler for your laptop to sit on.

hypr

You're close. 95c tops. The GPU will begin to throttle itself once it gets too hot. If you're really concerned about it, you could try applying new thermal paste/cleaning/blowing out dust. Or get yourself a laptop cooler for your laptop to sit on.

Laptop is new =) i have cooling fan too

hypr

is there any possibility to speed up cooling fan?

DizzyIntel

On a related note, my GPU, also a GEForce 635M, was running a temperature at 105C under a furmark stress test. Scored 57 on a bench mark and I was getting about 3FPS. That ok too? :/

I'm guessing new thermal paste may not be enough to fix that, but I will try. It's a mission disassembling the laptop but doable.

Does anyone know if there any other reasons why a GPU could get so hot? and can it damage the GPU? (how much)? I know the card is a few years old, but I'm loathe to buy a new one just for the sake of it. It still works barely! maybe not much longer if I can't fix the temp issue.

Power supply issues maybe? The battery for example lasts for about five minutes if I take the power lead out. Should probably replace that too.

ASUS N75S with an i5 CPU under windows 10. Has the latest Nvidia driver, but I uninstalled all the bloatware from nvidia because I figured it wasn't doing anything for me.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
is there any possibility to speed up cooling fan?
Perhaps, you can download nvidia Inspector and click 'show overclocking'. If it's supported you can control fan from there. Also you can even reduce voltage to reduce temperature further. If it isn't you can try Speedfan to control fanspeed.

On a related note, my GPU, also a GEForce 635M, was running a temperature at 105C under a furmark stress test. Scored 57 on a bench mark and I was getting about 3FPS. That ok too? :/

I'm guessing new thermal paste may not be enough to fix that, but I will try. It's a mission disassembling the laptop but doable.

Does anyone know if there any other reasons why a GPU could get so hot? and can it damage the GPU? (how much)? I know the card is a few years old, but I'm loathe to buy a new one just for the sake of it. It still works barely! maybe not much longer if I can't fix the temp issue.

Power supply issues maybe? The battery for example lasts for about five minutes if I take the power lead out. Should probably replace that too.

ASUS N75S with an i5 CPU under windows 10. Has the latest Nvidia driver, but I uninstalled all the bloatware from nvidia because I figured it wasn't doing anything for me.
I would strongly suggest to avoid Furmark for testing GPU since the program is power virus putting unusual amount of load to heat up the GPU. You better test with Heaven, 3DMark, Catzilla or whatever games you play.

105C is reaching thermal limit for laptop GPU, it will throttle it's clock and voltage when it reach the temperature to prevent permanent damage to the GPU. Before doing anything you better check temperature with program or games first for the reason I give above. A heatsink fan cleanup and repaste is a good start to reduce temperature. You could try nvidia Inspector like suggested above to further reduce temperature.

DizzyIntel

Many thanks Apocalypsee. Very useful tips.

Perhaps, you can download nvidia Inspector and click 'show overclocking'. If it's supported you can control fan from there. Also you can even reduce voltage to reduce temperature further. If it isn't you can try Speedfan to control fanspeed.

Downloaded Nvidia inspector. I can't control fan speed and I will delay mucking around with overclocking until I've sorted the basics.

I would strongly suggest to avoid Furmark for testing GPU since the program is power virus putting unusual amount of load to heat up the GPU. You better test with Heaven, 3DMark, Catzilla or whatever games you play.

Thanks for the tips and leads. I have uninstalled furmark and installed 3DMark, for directX11.3 which I'm running under windows 10 64 bit. First bench mark I got was about 20. Which was better than 0% of other people! FPS: 0.5 in one of the tests!

105C is reaching thermal limit for laptop GPU, it will throttle it's clock and voltage when it reach the temperature to prevent permanent damage to the GPU. Before doing anything you better check temperature with program or games first for the reason I give above.

During the benchmark the temp got up to 105C! I got hold of some thermal paste, and with a tutorial from you tube on how to dismantle my laptop I was able to reapply the thermal paste to the CPU and GPUs, and successfully reassembled laptop into functional state! That's a win for a start! New temp during 3Dmark test was stably oscillating between 95 and 96C. Didn 't go above 96C. I suspect there is some throttling going on. FPS was about 10 (which is a HUGE improvement on 0.5, and I got a bench mark of 1085. Which is in the 8% percentile.

I've also ordered a new battery. The voltage (VDDC) seemed to oscillate between 0.82 and 0.9. I will report again when I have the new battery. I suspect that a more stable power supply will help.

I'm not sure that going straight into overclocking from here is the right way forward. Recently I had a clean up and got rid of a load of services that I thought were bloatware. Some of them were factory installed, and after that the graphics issues began. I thought I'd postively Id'd every service online before I stopped it but maybe some were essential after all. Maybe I need to do a complete strip and reinstall of the PC with latest drivers etc. I should also speak to the manufacturers to see if I can get the low down on what factory installed services might be vital and specific for my PC, which is an Asus N75SL.

Any further tips regarding drivers and software ? I'll report back again when I've got new power supply and had a muck about with the services and software.

After that, I'm into overclocking which is a new sport for me... :D

D

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MHz CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock

I wouldn't overclock that poor GT635M, it's already running very hot, you will kill it if you overclock it.
If you want to benchmark/heavy gaming, buy a decent gaming laptop or better yet use a desktop.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M-S2H
Cooling Scythe Kotetsu Mark II
Memory 2 x 16GB SK Hynix OEM DDR4-3200 @ 3666 18-20-18-36
Video Card(s) Colorful RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Storage 250GB WD BLACK SN750 M.2 + 4TB WD Red Plus + 4TB WD Purple
Display(s) AOpen 27HC5R 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case COUGAR MX440 Mesh RGB
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD + Kurtzweil KS-40A bookshelf
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Cougar Attack2 Cherry MX Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 22H1 x64
Many thanks Apocalypsee. Very useful tips.

Downloaded Nvidia inspector. I can't control fan speed and I will delay mucking around with overclocking until I've sorted the basics.

Thanks for the tips and leads. I have uninstalled furmark and installed 3DMark, for directX11.3 which I'm running under windows 10 64 bit. First bench mark I got was about 20. Which was better than 0% of other people! FPS: 0.5 in one of the tests!
During the benchmark the temp got up to 105C! I got hold of some thermal paste, and with a tutorial from you tube on how to dismantle my laptop I was able to reapply the thermal paste to the CPU and GPUs, and successfully reassembled laptop into functional state! That's a win for a start! New temp during 3Dmark test was stably oscillating between 95 and 96C. Didn 't go above 96C. I suspect there is some throttling going on. FPS was about 10 (which is a HUGE improvement on 0.5, and I got a bench mark of 1085. Which is in the 8% percentile.

I've also ordered a new battery. The voltage (VDDC) seemed to oscillate between 0.82 and 0.9. I will report again when I have the new battery. I suspect that a more stable power supply will help.

I'm not sure that going straight into overclocking from here is the right way forward. Recently I had a clean up and got rid of a load of services that I thought were bloatware. Some of them were factory installed, and after that the graphics issues began. I thought I'd postively Id'd every service online before I stopped it but maybe some were essential after all. Maybe I need to do a complete strip and reinstall of the PC with latest drivers etc. I should also speak to the manufacturers to see if I can get the low down on what factory installed services might be vital and specific for my PC, which is an Asus N75SL.

Any further tips regarding drivers and software ? I'll report back again when I've got new power supply and had a muck about with the services and software.

D
You're welcome. Try to download and install SpeedFan. Perhaps it could control your fanspeed. The temperature is still very darn hot. I looked at your laptop, that ASUS chassis is very bad, I have one of those few years back and the temps are ridiculous. If you into modding perhaps you could cut some ventilation holes to cool down the laptop. ALso check HDD temperature, I vaguely remember it reach ridiculous temps for HDD. Don't touch overclocking yet, if nvidia Inspector list any voltage slider try to reduce it and run benchmark again. Every hardware have at least a little bit undervolting possibilities[/QUOTE]