• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD motherboard replacement!

bengraham

Anyone please??
i am new to tech stuff. I used to work on an AMD system built by a friend of mine. I usually like to do audio and video editing. So audio quality is important for me. Are there any recommendations for an upgrade?

I dont mind the price though the quality should pay off!

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
Is it connectivity your looking for or just better sound?

If its just audio quality. I use is the SB0770 XFi extreme OEM PCI This is card can be found real cheap on eBay and has the bonus of optical in and out plus a standard HD audio front panel connector (dell version has different front panel connector but HD version can be soldered on).

Connectivity won't come cheap your then looking at professional audio cards that cost big bucks.

Last edited:
System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
You need to give us more than that. Are you upgrading your current system? If so, what are the specs on it? Or are you looking to build an entire new system and just want some advise on what parts to buy? If so, what is your budget?

bengraham

new system

Thank you for your answers. I want to built up my own system for the first time. I hope its not gonna be so difficult :nutkick:

Until now i used to work on AMD so I think its just fine to stick with their products.

At the moment i am thinking of AMD A8-6600K as processor, but i am not so sure about the power consumption. I think Memory and hard disk are not the big problem to pick, but graphics card and motherboard are not yet fixed. As i understand there is a GPU already included in system, but is it fine for video editing?

For the motherboard i was tending for a cheaper brand. I dont think its worth to pay for a big label at all, or do you disagree with that?

My budget for all was around $500-600.

@Geofrancis: I am not so much into connectivity. Standard connectors will be fine, so i can plug it on my stereo. The soundblaster looks quite ok, but i feel strange putting another soundcard in a system that already offers sound. thats why i am hoping to have good onboard sounds right away :rockout:

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Well if your primary video editor is GPU accelerated and that is what you mostly do, then I would go for an A10 APU like the 6800K or 5800K. The IGP on those have the power of a $70 to $90 dedicated card in most cases and personal experience (thanks to recent strides by AMD with their drivers) do a damn good job with video encoding/decoding. You can then save and add a dedicated card later.

Most motherboards offer good sound and with FM2 socket, you can get their top-tier boards for under $150. I would go with GIGABYTE, ASRock, or ASUS.

The board and APU will run you around $300 which leaves you plenty of room for a case, PSU, DVD burner, HDD, etc.

If your software supports Intel QuickSync, I would go with an Intel build. Use the IGP for just display and use QuickSync for encoding. There is no comparison there.

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
GIGABYTE GA-F2A85X-UP4 - $120
AMD A10-5800K - $130
G.SKILL Sniper Series 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866MHz $130
NZXT Source 220 $40
CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 $70

Total $490

And if you are doing this right now. Almost everything there has a promo for an additional 10% to 15% off Plus $25 shipping (to my location at least) it comes to $469.75.

Another $130 to spend on a HDD and cooler if you need those.

Last edited:

bengraham

Thank you, thats already great stuff. At least i think i can focus on the system first.

I was just browsing your recommendation and found the board for 120 dollars, too.
Anyway i found alternatives that look comparable for a much lower price:

The asrock FM2A85x extreme4 and the biostar hi-fi A85W. Both sell for only 90 dollars.

For me that sounds like a good bargain, especially with the last one having a lot of extra features for good audio quality (Hifi Amp, Resistor, Cap and 192khz sampling according to their website).

Asrocks seems to be more focused on overclocking which is not one of my interests...

I understand gigabyte is a well known label, but as long as there is no objective reason to take it, i would rather save some coins if possible :toast:

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
Well you got a solid starting point and that is what you want.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
System Name TouchNDie
Processor 2.4 GHz Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard Asus P5N32E-SLI
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Memory 6 GB G.Skill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 4850
Storage 500 GB Western Digital Blue
Display(s) Dell SE198WFPv (Primary), Dell 1704FPT (Secondary)
Case Black Antec P180
Audio Device(s) Random VIA-based card.
Power Supply nSpire 650w
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
What program do you use for video editing? If you're using Premiere or any Adobe products an AMD GPU isn't going to do you much good at all, a dedicated GeForce is what you'll want.

For sound quality something such as an old GeForce Audigy 2 ZS usually works fine, a lot better than integrated audio. If you're feeling like you want some insane or just producer audio gear, a used M-Audio card would work.

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
What program do you use for video editing? If you're using Premiere or any Adobe products an AMD GPU isn't going to do you much good at all, a dedicated GeForce is what you'll want.

For sound quality something such as an old GeForce Audigy 2 ZS usually works fine, a lot better than integrated audio. If you're feeling like you want some insane or just producer audio gear, a used M-Audio card would work.

The audigy cards don't really work with 7 and 8 your much better with the xfi extreme oem. It's the top xfi card with all the processing for half the price

bengraham

If audio quality is your main concern, the last thing you want is onboard sound. The Biostar hifi is okay for gaming and one of the better onboard sound devices, it doesn't match a moderately priced sound card. Review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Biostar/Hi-Fi_A85W/11.html

Thanks for that review. And I also thank you all for your other recommendations.

For now i dont wanna think longer about that choice =)

So I just came up with a fair compromise for now. I just found the Biostar A85W for 90 dollars on newegg and will see how it works. As CPU i will take the recommended AMD A10-5800K. If i still dont like the result i think there is no other motherboard that compares with better quality at all. So i will just put more bucks on the table and get one of your recommended audio cards. You will read me again in that case :D

Based on the review and your help i dont think that i am doing a bad mistake here. Cant wait to finally see how it goes :toast:

bengraham

Built up and running

Hello again, i just wanted to give you an update. Thanks again for your good help here :toast:

The motherboard just arrived this weekend and i spend the whole day building up the system and setting up the stuff. At least i could manage everything without reinstalling the whole system.

Finally i can say its all done. I am so tired but happy :p

Just played some rounds of crysis and for me the sound is also really great. Ask my neighbors ;D

Will hand the system next week over, and, finally, i feel confident that he will like it too :cool:

bengraham

Me again. Finally i handed the system over and everything went fine with it. Thanks once more for your help everyone! :toast: