• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Pulls a Fast One with E3 Xbox One Demos

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The Alpha dev kits were using similar components. The game will look the same. It's a common practice in the INDUSTRY!

You guys are killing me with your ignorance. This happens at EVERY LAUNCH E3, it is standard stuff.

They are not trying to trick anyone. E3 is at a weird time of the year when the code is not finished or even near finished. All the developers are still working on the game while E3 is going on, they just needed to provide a stable branch of code and probably used a development kit or a pseudo development kit to run the code.

Every person here should

1) learn how to code games
2) Should go behind the scenes at E3 and find out what is really going on behind the curtains.

E3 is really an awkward time for developers because they are still using old hardware and still providing either demos to take time out of coding for the game for weeks to just provide a simple demo that may not be in the final game and is on old pieces of hardware.

that doesnt make it fair. stop your arrogance please. before someone reports you.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The Alpha dev kits were using similar components. The game will look the same. It's a common practice in the INDUSTRY!

I don't see how you are getting that these are Alpha dev kits with similar component so the final console. These aren't alpha kits, and the hardware is no where near similar components. A GTX780 isn't similar to a HD7850, and an i7-3930 isn't similar to a 8-Core Piledriver Piledriver. I've owned dev kits, even alpha dev kits, from previous generation systems. I have never seen a dev kit that use parts so drastically different from the actual console's. There is no way these were dev kits.

You guys are killing me with your ignorance. This happens at EVERY LAUNCH E3, it is standard stuff.

It is standard practice to use dev kits to demo games, Sony did it, these are not dev kits. Your ignorance is killing me. I can't believe someone would look at the systems used at E3 and claim they are dev kits that are similar to the final console, and then have the arrogance to say others are ignorant.

They are not trying to trick anyone. E3 is at a weird time of the year when the code is not finished or even near finished. All the developers are still working on the game while E3 is going on, they just needed to provide a stable branch of code and probably used a development kit or a pseudo development kit to run the code.

If they weren't trying to trick anyone they would have actually used similar hardware to the final console and not the top of the line GPU on the market. They could have very easily gone with systems that were at least partially similar to the final specs. They could have use an 8-Core AMD processor, and an AMD GPU with similar(but slightly better even) specs. But they didn't, they went with PCs that were totally balls out top of the line and nothing even close to what the final console will be. That is deceptive, and I have a hard time believing that the games will look as good, or run as smoothly, on the final hardware which will be radically different from and about half as powerful as the systems used to demo games at E3, I just don't see that happening.

Last edited:
System Name Monster Gaming PC
Processor [Intel] Core i5 3570K
Motherboard [ASRock] Z77 Extreme4
Cooling [Cooler Master] Hyper 212 EVO
Memory [Corsair] 8 GB (2 X 4 GB) Vengeance Low Profile
Video Card(s) [ASUS] GTX 670 OC 2GB (GTX670-DC2OG-2GD5)
Storage [WD] Caviar Blue 1TB SATA III 7200RPM
Display(s) [Dell] UltraSharp 2407WFP (24" 1200x1920)
Case [CM Storm] Scout 2 Black
Power Supply [OCZ] ZT Series 750W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate,
Why would they do that???? :O . They've used a nvidia card and intel cpu, when the Xbox uses all AMD parts.Would AMD feel betrayed, or does microsoft just see those parts as superior to AMD. I also question why they would use a fancy case if it is supposed to be hidden, with a liquid cooler which isn't even ENTIRELY necessary.

You all all newbies......I love how everyone is trying to turn this into bad news. The amount of ignorance is staggering. There is more ignorance and scare tactics than actual facts.
Please forgive us, it's just mass overconfidence, nothing more really. Since we have you among us, we just stopped thinking altogether, it would be useless since you know everything anyway, so we just listen and learn.

Try to do some research first before putting out some article that is meant as a scare tactic instead of understanding that this is how alpha development kits can be used.
PS4 games were running on actual devkits.

System Name Lailalo
Processor Ryzen 9 5900X Boosts to 4.95Ghz
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WIFI
Cooling Noctua
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) XFX 7900XT 20GB
Storage Samsung 970 Pro Plus 1TB, Crucial 1TB MX500 SSD, Segate 3TB
Display(s) LG Ultrawide 29in @ 2560x1080
Case Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Power Supply XPG 1000W
Mouse G602
Keyboard G510s
Software Windows 10 Pro / Windows 10 Home
It isn't the first or the last time better hardware has been used to demo something. But the fact that M$ did not use actual dev kits makes me think the games just were not all the way there yet. I'd guess not totally optimized and it would be an embarrassment for M$ to have previewed them under that. So they instead toss in a gaming PC and just let the raw performance carry it.

You got both makers literally turning the industry on it's head and forcing it to adapt to multithreading beyond 3-4 cores which did not carry over into PC gaming very well aside from a few titles. That is something that won't happen as easily. Specially with M$ gimping their hardware so much compared to PS4. Optimization is going to have to be key to run on those weaker CPUs and also handle all the excess background tasks. They aren't server based CPUs, they are stuff made to combat netbook CPUs. Which is what concerns me about the PS4's social media features. It is useless frills. I'd rather all computing tasks being directed to games, not keeping tabs on Facebook/etc.

System Name Red Babe
Processor i7 2700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximous IV
Cooling Custom Water Cooling
Memory 16GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 679 DCII
Storage 1TB Black 1TB Green 120GB GT SSD
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q
Case Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Z
Power Supply Enermax MODU87+ 900W
Software Ubuntu + Windows 7
linux gaming

I believe that we gamers should support more linux gaming. Microsoft is getting worse over the years in the gaming environment for windows although they made it better for the some consumers and we have to pay for the software.If games would run smoother in linux we would see many many consoles using linux since it is opensource and many companies would make their own consoles customizing the linux software as they want to and the prices would go down.But the best thing is that the game developers would make only one version of the game since pc and consoles will have identical environments so they would sell games cheaper too. So we will have cheaper and more consoles free pc software and cheaper games.

YogurtMaster

I don't see how you are getting that these are Alpha dev kits with similar component so the final console. These aren't alpha kits, and the hardware is no where near similar components. A GTX780 isn't similar to a HD7850, and an i7-3930 isn't similar to a 8-Core Piledriver Piledriver. I've owned dev kits, even alpha dev kits, from previous generation systems. I have never seen a dev kit that use parts so drastically different from the actual console's. There is no way these were dev kits.

It is standard practice to use dev kits to demo games, Sony did it, these are not dev kits. Your ignorance is killing me. I can't believe someone would look at the systems used at E3 and claim they are dev kits that are similar to the final console, and then have the arrogance to say others are ignorant.

If they weren't trying to trick anyone they would have actually used similar hardware to the final console and not the top of the line GPU on the market. They could have very easily gone with systems that were at least partially similar to the final specs. They could have use an 8-Core AMD processor, and an AMD GPU with similar(but slightly better even) specs. But they didn't, they went with PCs that were totally balls out top of the line and nothing even close to what the final console will be. That is deceptive, and I have a hard time believing that the games will look as good, or run as smoothly, on the final hardware which will be radically different from and about half as powerful as the systems used to demo games at E3, I just don't see that happening.

They probably didn't have time and so they had to use what they have. A lot of things are like this at E3. I don't see your point. You think that it's not going to be like that with the XB1. When you use the XB1 you can use the cloud as well (or limit the FPS to a frame rate), so it's not such a one to one answer.

This happens at E3 often, it's not like its something new.

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Did it occur to anyone that the Xbox OS actually runs inside a VM? And the games are most likely hard-coded to the specifications the Xbox OS environment provides? It is probably likely that there wasn't enough late prototype or early production models of Xbox One available for E3, or that the code for the Xbox One hasn't been completed to a acceptable level for demonstration ,(or a bit of both), thus MS sort to use these PCs for the demo. Whilst I think it may be possibly for these machines to run the VM faster, until production code is complete, I don't think they'll run games with misleading visuals.

Mckertis

Unfortunately, as long as some exclusives are released for consoles only, there's no other way you can enjoy great games like Forza, Uncharted, The Last of Us
Hey, if those games were any good - they'd port it on PC. Never played Uncharted, and really not suffering from it, i already have a 20+ title backlog of great games on PC.

nisen

You all all newbies. This is what happens at E3 at every launch. Xbox 360 was launched at E3 running on Power PC Macintosh computers.

I love how everyone is trying to turn this into bad news. The amount of ignorance is staggering. There is more ignorance and scare tactics than actual facts.

still seems beyond reasonable advertising deception showing fake gameplay when one of the main purposes is showing how well the hardware itself does.

coincidentally came across a vid yesterday comparing PS3 trailers at E3 to how they turned out irl

PlayStation® 3 'E3 '05 vs NOW'

System Name SIGSEGV
Processor INTEL i7-7700K | AMD Ryzen 2700X
Motherboard QUANTA | ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
Cooling Air cooling 4 heatpipes | Corsair H115i | Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC Fan 3000RPM
Memory Micron 16 Gb DDR4 2400 | GSkill Ripjaws 32Gb DDR4 3200 3400(OC) 14-14-14-34 @1.38v
Video Card(s) Nvidia 1060 6GB | Gigabyte 1080Ti Aorus
Storage 1TB 7200/256 SSD PCIE | ~ TB | 970 Evo
Display(s) 15,5" / 27"
Case Black & Grey | Phanteks P400S
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Li Battery | Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
Mouse g402
Keyboard Leopold|Ducky
Software LinuxMint KDE |UBUNTU | Windows 10 PRO
Benchmark Scores i dont care about scores
Hey, if those games were any good - they'd port it on PC. Never played Uncharted, and really not suffering from it, i already have a 20+ title backlog of great games on PC.

i hope someday you'd port the god of war III on PC ;)

System Name "Big E"
Processor I5 2400
Motherboard Intel DQ67OW
Cooling Scythe Samurai ZZ
Memory 4 X 2 Gb Kingmax 1333
Video Card(s) MSI RX470 gaming x 4gb
Storage samsung F3 500 GB
Display(s) Acer S271HLBbid
Case "Big E"
Power Supply Gembird 450 W
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Generic
Software W10 LTSC
Benchmark Scores Nothing worthy to mention
Look They even used a system with Windows 7 .
Oh the fail level is at 10000 :roll:

SmG

So even microsoft uses windows 7 instead of windows 8 for their desktops. :laugh:

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I've never been to E3... and maybe its just a code showoff... but they are using hardware that is 3x the power of what this software will actually run on.

And lets face it, MS is on a roll. Lately they make shit OSes and they make shitty phones and tablets... is it really that much of a stretch to imagine that they will make a shitty console? Will we all be surprised when the XB1 is just absolutely terrible?

I almost feel bad for the marketing guys:

"HERE MAKE PEOPLE WANT THIS!"

"But, sir, these are dog feces"

"TELL THEM THAT THEY WANT IT AND THAT THEY PREFER IT OVER GOOGLE"

"But, sir, no one wants this, especially over Google!!!"

"DO IT, AND THEN TELL THEM THAT THEY CAN STILL DO THE THINGS THEY DID WITH THE START MENU WITH ONLY 13 MORE CLICKS AND SOME TYPING!!!"

"Sir, please, have a snickers!!!"

"PUT METRO AND BING ON EVERYTHING! LET ALL THE ELECTRONICS FEEL THE WRATH OF METRO!!! AND BING! AND CUT THE POWER OF THE CONSOLES BY 1/3, AND DON'T LET THEM PLAY GAMES UNLESS WE ALLOW IT! DO THIS --- AND MAKE THEM BUY IT!!!"

System Name It's a box, it games, what more do you want?
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling EVGA CLC 240 Liquid
Memory 2 x 16 Gb DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z Neo @ 3600Mhz CL14
Video Card(s) XFX AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT MERC310
Storage WD BLACK™ SN770 Gen.4 1TB NVME M.2, Crucial MX300 275 GB M.2 2280, WD Red 4TB SATA-III 256M
Display(s) Dell Alienware AW3423DWF
Case Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital RGB Black
Power Supply SuperFlower Legion GX Pro 850W
Mouse Mionix Naos QG
Keyboard Logitech G513 Carbon RGB Romer-G Tactile
Software Windows 11 x64
I am just plain shocked, I mean I have seen this kind of thing before, example, at the PS4 reveal (not at this E3m the one that was a couple of moths ago) where they showed a new Watch Dogs trailer, Ubi admitted that the demo was actually running on a PC, and not on the PS4, but at least in that case they didn't try to fool anyone, they came out and said it straight up that it was a PC build (basically Ubi juts hijacked the PS4 conference to market Watch Dogs a bit more :p), but what Microsud is doing is borderline fraud.

Last edited:
System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. The Alpha dev kits were using similar components. The game will look the same. It's a common practice in the INDUSTRY!

Alpha Dev kits are completely different from finished product then? they don't even use the same manufacturer. I don't see how intel + Nvidia could be an alpha dev kit when Xone is using AMD.

Edit - It seems the Dev kits are NVidia hardware. Strange.

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Dango-Durango-Next-Gen-Xbox-developer-kit-wild

Last edited:
lol the fact that bugs me is that they didn't even bother to lock the box or at least keep someone guarding it :laugh:

there are not ethics profession anymore.
and yeah the PS is going to be the one for a lot of people XD specially after this.

just the fact that sony is using GDDR5 over the crappy DDR3 is reason enough to believe that sony is going to be atleast 20-30% better performing.

the ps4 is going to be more powerful, but i wouldn't really address that to the Ram but more to the GPU since it should be quite more powerful on the ps4

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
I learn 2 things from this:

1) Even AMD partners don't use AMD!
2) Even Microsoft doesn't use Windows 8!

Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LX (B3)
Cooling Intel stock HSF
Memory 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3
Display(s) HP W2072a 20"
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 Black
Audio Device(s) Integrated (Realtek ALC887)
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
System Name My PC
Processor i7 4790k @4.4ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte z97m-d3h
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 4x4GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133-9-11-11-31-1T
Video Card(s) GTX970 Stric oc
Storage Samsung 840Pro 512GB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT
Case Lian Li 359
Audio Device(s) Denon DA-300USB / Denon AH-D5000
Power Supply Corsair AX860
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure Optical
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win10 64-bit home
I learn 2 things from this:

1) Even AMD partners don't use AMD!
2) Even Microsoft doesn't use Windows 8!

I learned exactly the same thing from this.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
VR HMD ;_;

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
VR HMD ;_;
the ps4 is going to be more powerful, but i wouldn't really address that to the Ram but more to the GPU since it should be quite more powerful on the ps4

RAM is also as important as the cores.. just go and buy the same GPU, but different versions of RAM, DDR3 and DDR5, you will feel the difference.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Ha! Who thought of that brilliant idea?!

Processor Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8H61-M LX (B3)
Cooling Intel stock HSF
Memory 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon HD 6750 OC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3
Display(s) HP W2072a 20"
Case Cooler Master Elite 430 Black
Audio Device(s) Integrated (Realtek ALC887)
Power Supply Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64
lol, linus? HAHAHA i guess i have nothing more to say.

If you watch the video long enough, you will understand why Microsoft use LGA2011 platforms.