• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is there no Final Fantasy on PC?

System Name PATATAS-3XTR3M3
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 240MP
Memory 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG STRIX RTX 3080 Ti UV:850@1850
Storage Boot Drive: ADATA XPG SX6000 256gb, Storage Drive: 1TB Samsung 980 x2
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Audio Device(s) Samson SR850 connected to a Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Akko MOD006, Durock POMS
Just a silly question running in my mind. I don't really know why SquareEnix even has other games on PC besides the FFVII "HD" remake; I've read an article that SqureEnix said that the "Technology was too advanced for PC's" to run FF's

Is it really true? Or are they just avoiding the prevalent piracy issues regarding PC games?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
that complexity stance is bullshit, 7 and 8 are on PC, and now you can emulate everything up to 11 on pc anyway but I think the reason square does not do more pc releases is that ff is a jrpg and when it comes down to it there are very very little in that genre on pc, most stay on consoles and most don't even leave japan ftw and get translated. The only decent JRPG's I have played are the The Last Renmant, Breath of Fire IV, Grandia 2 and Ys, thats it. So its not only square-enix that does this its just how JRPG's most of the time.

I don't think its piracy driving that, I think its more that the developers and publishers of these titles believe the experience would be better on consoles and porting and translating to PC would not be worth it.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Ahh I think I kinda get it now. They're mostly accommodating the Japanese audience for their games.

But in my logic (prove me wrong if I am) aren't most games made in PC? then they just code it to to run specifically on consoles? So that means they have to recode the whole game again to make it run on PC?

Also why focus primarily on the japanese audience if they could make more profit targeting bigger audiences? (I'm no businessman here)

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
EDIT: double post

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
You need to remember that these games are made in Japan and the games when brought overseas need to be translated and then voice acted for then bug fixed all over again(for smaller teams/studios this is impossible) and that a traditional RPG and JRPG are very different, much less porting to PC, in the past we have seen that many JRPG's sell very very poorly unless they have a huge name like Final Fantasy because many western players(UK and US) play more western styled games and the overall style is alot different but Square has really been trying to accomodate western playstyles into the overall gameplay of their RPG games.

For Example: Final Fantasy 13(which was actually the cancelled X-3 pushed to 13, sound familiar right) was originally on the Playstation 2 and it was a straight shot cliche filled JRPG, in the middle of development, one of the bosses over at square came and scrapped the development and made the team start from scratch and make a more western oriented game on Playstation 3 instead which is what we got.(sadly)

Last edited:
Processor Intel Core 2 QX6850
Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Cooling Zalman CNPS-9900 MAX-R
Memory Patriot PDC24G6400LLK (4x 2 GB)
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Light Turbo
Storage Not Enough!
Display(s) Samsung T240HD
Case NZXT Zero
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Thortech Thunderbolt Plus TTBPK00G 1000W
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Keyboard CM Storm Trigger (Cherry MX Brown)
Software NOT Windows 10
Ahh I think I kinda get it now. They're mostly accommodating the Japanese audience for their games.

But in my logic (prove me wrong if I am) aren't most games made in PC? then they just code it to to run specifically on consoles? So that means they have to recode the whole game again to make it run on PC?

Also why focus primarily on the japanese audience if they could make more profit targeting bigger audiences? (I'm no businessman here)

The PC market for such is not as big in Japan as it is in the West. Likely due to a traditionally much stronger console market.

Japanese game developers tend to focus on the Japanese market because it's what they know best. Tastes across regions vary greatly. Square Enix has publicly acknowledged that recently. Sorry, weeaboos, but you are not as numerically significant of a market in the West as you lot would like to think. It's also much easier to work with: no translations to worry about, no licensing issues, no worrying about hitting foreign cultural taboos, etc.

That said, I really wish Final Fantasy IX got a PC port. It was the only PS1 FF game not to get one.

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
Actually, there is a huge japanophile gaming and anime/manga audience in the west. Unfortunately, most of them are pirates and don't pay to support the industry that they love so much.
I have a Final Fantasy 7 PC copy that I received as a gift years ago, never finished it. In my opinion it is a hugely overrated game, but many gamers grew up with it and consider it one of the seminal games of the genre.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
There are a bunch of indie rpg's on pc most are sprite based graphics.

Square/enix buried themselves because they set unreal expectations with some of there latest games. Now I read they cancelled just about everything that was in development.

Asian Corporations are stubborn/greedy basically.

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Final Fantasy XI and XIV are available for PC too :)

Squenix has been giving the same BS excuse since the days of the PS1 but somehow ports of VII and VIII made to the PC back then, here's hoping XV is released for PC too as it looks really sweet and it seems like they completely overhauled all the gameplay mechanics for that game.

It looks like the blood transfusion the series desperately need, and since Eidos was behind the previous PC ports, and is part now of Squenix, I hope they see that there's a big market opportunity by targeting the PC crowd :)

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Weren't there some news about FFXV having a potential PC port?

Asian All Corporations are stubborn/greedy basically.

FTFY.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
There are a bunch of indie rpg's on pc most are sprite based graphics.

Square/enix buried themselves because they set unreal expectations with some of there latest games. Now I read they cancelled just about everything that was in development.

Asian Corporations are stubborn/greedy basically.

i see console gaming still dominating the market here. most friends i know dont game on the ppc but have a console. hell, even i came to pc from console

Let's break this down into the three questions that it actually entails.

1) If consoles are just very restricted computers why don't all console games get a PC port?
In the loosest sense, consoles are PCs. They have the same basic hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, ROM, etc..). The big difference is that consoles run both different instruction sets, and have different structures.
It's possible to take a language written on a PC, that won't run on it, and send it onto a console that can actually understand the language and run it. This is why developer consoles exist, and the console isn't just emulated on a PC. Rewriting the language to a different one is a time consuming task, as some features that are easily used on a console might not be there on a PC, and vice-versa.
PowerPC architecture, a common component of older consoles, isn't x86. If the CPU is structured differently it doesn't matter that all of the components are the same otherwise. It's a lot like language. English stole a lot from German, and some words are an exact duplicate of one another. This doesn't mean an English speaker can converse with a German speaker.

2) Why aren't there many PC games from Square Enix?
Seriously? Have you seen their online store? It's arranged in the most bass-ackwards fashion possible, but just look around a bit http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/list/ThemeID.29853700/categoryID.57606100/size.46/startIndex.0/. Square Enix has tons of PC games. They don't promote them well, they support them worse, but they do have them. The FF7 ultimate edition from the 90's still worked on my XP x64 system (boy, did it take a lot of work to get it running though). On the other hand, Deus Ex and Supreme Commander. Enough said.

3) Why aren't there any JRPGs coming out?
There are three reasons. The JRPG lost itself, tools were developed to pump out low budget releases, and the gaming target market doesn't have the time investment available for a JRPG any more.

In the 8 bit days the JRPG ruled the world. They were developed in the one country that loved them to death, and they were the only way to get a huge story onto a piece of silicon (text was king here). As the gaming industry grew, so too did the storage capacity and tools for the medium. Most games moved from having no plot, into having a story. Racing games got drivers, shooters got distinct heros, and games developed to where a cohesive narrative was possible. The JRPG did not respond to this, it just used the extra room to make bigger battles, bigger worlds, and prettier graphics. As the years passed, the JRPG decided to catch up to the times by introducing quick time events, moody "mature" characters, and grind. This method ignored a complex and engaging narrative, which is where the JRPG lost what made itself special.

RPG maker, a Japanese tool if I remember correctly, proved that the formula for a JRPG had become stagnant. A decent coder could set up a game akin to FF6 or lower in a month. That kind of depressingly easy curve has led to larger companies deciding that the JRPG market isn't profitable. A thousand JRPGs cranked out by a hundred companies over-saturates a market, to the point where nobody wants to buy the latest release. It isn't pretty, but developers are to blame for this practice killing the market.

Let's spend just a moment looking at what a time investment that a JRPG is. Assume the average 20+ year old has about 3 hours an evening to play games (1 hour for people working, 5 hours for college/unemployed). This means an average week is about 15 hours of gaming. Let's also assume that the average JRPG requires about 75 hours to complete. You're looking at a five week investment. For the very busy, an entire year or more. I've never been able to tell what I ate for dinner 2 weeks ago, let alone a minor plot point from a game that I played five weeks ago. As the target demographic for video games relocates, so too does the available time. Fast paced, bite-sized, experiences sell better. The latest FF games, versus the latest CoD games, are accurate proof.

So I think the question you really wanted to ask was "How do we get more JRPGs to get onto the PC?" There's a simple way, buy them. Steam has a plethora of these games. Cthulu Saves the World is 100% pure awesome JRPG. Go out and buy that game. Additionally, write Square Enix. A letter saying that you will not purchase another FF13 spin-off would be great. Perhaps suggest that you don't want an MMO, a shooter, or a linear battler. Writing to these companies seems archaic, but considering the lack of QA on FF13, the written word may matter. If you don't like FF, then write to them about one of the other dozen JRPGs they've got. I'd personally love to see a new Chrono game.

Another note, support what the JRPG has become. Monster Hunter is a very good riff on the old tropes, without losing itself to slavish reproduction. Dragon Quest is another great modern JRPG. Tell these companies, with your dollars, that good quality JRPGs will see financial success. Also, don't buy remakes. FF7 was great, because we had nothing to compare it to. Playing it again a decade later was...unfullfilling. Poor character design, terrible dialogue, and a broken pacing system do not a great game make. When the emulated FF9 is miles better than the PC native 7, you've got to put your foot down.

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Thank you llilhasselhoffer for the very informative post :D

So Now I get why you can't just run willy nilly console games on PC and you have to have an emulator of the Console.

Although I grew up with JRPGs (primarily the FF series) it was just a pain to see me shift from Console to PC because of the PS3 release (I remember the PS3 was released for about $700/ PHP 35000 here in the Phil... waaay out of budget)

I'm actually playing Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts 2 on my Laptop again (using the Emulator and my old CD's) and I have to say the experience is quite satisfying. Although there are bugs here and there..... and emulating the PS controller to the keyboard is a pain (Playing KH on keyboard is hella hard)

with the release of the PS4 for about $400... I might consider it. or you know just play over at a friends house.

Such a sad thing to see that SquareE is losing its touch, hope they could do something to get back in the game. If I were filthy stinking rich I'd support them, but it seems that writing a letter is all I can do now...

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
Such a sad thing to see that SquareE is losing its touch, hope they could do something to get back in the game. If I were filthy stinking rich I'd support them, but it seems that writing a letter is all I can do now...

Thats completely true, square has lost touch with their games that they make themselves like final fantasy, it kinda makes me sad when I think about it because I love JRPG's like Grandia, FF, ARF, and the like but I really do hope they go back way they were in the old days popping out good game after good game and making new IP's that rock.

System Name -aLiEn beaTs-
Processor Intel i7 11700kf @ 5.055Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z490 Unify
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro RGB
Memory G.skill Royal Silver 4400 cl17 @ 4403mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 980TI AMP!Omega Factory OC 1418MHz
Storage Intel SSD 330, Crucial SSD MX300 & MX500
Display(s) Samsung C24FG73 144HZ
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932 USB3.0
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD @ 2.1 Bose acoustimass 5
Power Supply CoolerMaster 850W v2 gold atx 2.52
Mouse Razer viper 8k
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 11 Pro 21h2 64Bit
Benchmark Scores ► ♪♫♪♩♬♫♪♭
I just got a beta invite 9days ago for FFXIV reborn

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
good for u, I haven't been able to get in to beta test xiv but I beta tested all the other ones, even xi when they sent the retail looking beta boxes with the discs in them years ago.

Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Storage Not Enough!
Case NZXT Zero
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Software NOT Windows 10
System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
I had a little chuckle at "the complexity is too hard for a PC but not to hard for a playstation.."
They have just been lazy with it imo.
They really shouldn't be.
It's hurting their revenue.

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
get emulator. download ff6. profit.

Seriously though, I guess they don't find the time spent porting it to be worth the money. I'm sure if they thought they would make money on it they would do it.

I owned 7 and 8 on pc when they came out. I remember I pulled an all day'er with ff8 and ate an entire bag of the family size doritos.

No, I'm not fat.

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
square needs to make better rpg games and support western developers under them while keeping true to their rpg audience, they have good rpg's also, but they don't push them enough, I mean FF T-0 is a much better game than 13, I would say Type-0 is better than 10(and thats saying something) and for it still not to have been released in the US or UK is just . . . . . . bad decisions at square have been happening for a while and they need to get their act together or they will stay in the red.

Ketxxx

Heedless Psychic
System Name Ravens Talon
Processor AMD R7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.3v
Cooling Modded 240mm Coolermaster Liquidmaster
Memory 2x16GB Klevv BoltX 3600MHz & custom timings
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil
Storage 250GB Asgard SSD, 1TB Integral SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 27" BenQ Mobiuz
Case NZXT Phantom 530
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E
Power Supply 1000w Supernova
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Fast. I don't need epeen.
In all honesty I've been very underwhelmed by the FF series since FF11. I loved FF7, really liked FF8, FF9 had its moments and was generally good, FF10 I would say was a landmark, first voice acted FF game and it was a lot of fun, after that... its all been downhill. Personally I think they could make a new FF game with a whole new story of its own but battling a "old threat" from a previous FF game. For example, FF8 hints at the "all" materia just before you battle ultima weapon, Squall looks at the rock wall and comments on the blue rocks that are "resonating". Then in FF9 Zidane at the weapon shop in (I think) Lindbum comments on a sword that looks a lot like the Buster Sword and he says he used to know somebody who carried something a lot like that.

So to my mind, those couple nods there is enough for a new FF game that say takes place 100 years after Clouds adventure, the main character could be a relative/son/daughter of Zidanes son/daughter or something like that and the game could kick off with your homewtown being attacked by some "ancient evil" (maybe ultima weapon, omega weapon, ruby weapon, or something like that) that is being controlled / manipulated by Sephiroth from the lifestream or something and thus your adventure begins and along the way you get back stories of what Cloud got up to after his adventure. Nanaki (Red as others probably know him) could even make a return, at least as a support character you get info from as he has a lifespan of hundreds of years (as you would of found out if paying attention in FF7).

Thats my idea anyway, and its a reasonable one IMO.

System Name 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.100
Processor AMD Ryzen5 5600G.
Motherboard Gigabyte B550m DS3H.
Cooling AMD Wraith Stealth.
Memory 16GB Crucial DDR4.
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1080 OC (Underclocked, underpowered).
Storage Samsung 980 NVME 500GB && Assortment of SSDs.
Display(s) LG 24MK430 primary && Samsung S24D590 secondary
Case Corsair Graphite 780T.
Audio Device(s) On-Board.
Power Supply SeaSonic CORE GM-650.
Mouse Coolermaster MM530.
Keyboard Kingston HyperX Alloy FPS.
VR HMD A pair of OP spectacles.
Software Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.
Benchmark Scores Me no know English. What bench mean? Bench like one sit on?
Most people I've spoken to about the FF series say the last good one was either FF9 or FF10... and I'd agree with that assessment.

Perhaps I'm forcing my opinion on others with this thought, but I've always doubted anyone preferring FFX to the rest. Dropping open world gameplay practically killed the game for me. The voice acting and narration were horrible IMO, compared to XII (which was surprisingly good voice acting-wise, among other things. But then again, jRPGs aren't exactly known for theatre-grade dialogues). The battle-mechanisms, story and concept/art were its saving grace.

Dunno why 9 is so underrated though (from what I've seen, that is).

and ate an entire bag of the family size doritos.

No, I'm not fat.

What? That's not normal? :eek:

I'm... somewhat... :D

Motherboard ABIT AB9 Pro
Storage Not Enough!
Case NZXT Zero
Mouse Elecom M-DUX70BK
Software NOT Windows 10
Perhaps I'm forcing my opinion on others with this thought, but I've always doubted anyone preferring FFX to the rest. Dropping open world gameplay practically killed the game for me. The voice acting and narration were horrible IMO, compared to XII (which was surprisingly good voice acting-wise, among other things. But then again, jRPGs aren't exactly known for theatre-grade dialogues). The battle-mechanisms, story and concept/art were its saving grace.

Dunno why 9 is so underrated though (from what I've seen, that is).
The Japanese voice acting of FF10 wasn't that bad from what I remember. I've been told the English voice acting was horrible though. I might go find a copy and see for myself. I personally preferred FF9 but didn't think FF10 was bad. It might also have to do with when the game came out. It was an early era PS2 game and dialogue may have been worked to facilitate the voice acting. Also, JRPGs were still big then and "Square can do no wrong" mentality was abound. But as you said, the battle mechanics, story, concept/art, and all the other stuff were still really good. That's probably why it was the first FF game to get a real sequel.

I think FF9 was underrated because of its "return to roots" fantasy style. As others have said, FF7 was when the series became mainstream and FF8 followed the "modern" style of FF7. So FF9 became a WTF to many. Still sucks that FF8 and FF10 are getting HD remakes while FF9 gets passed over again.

Actually, there is a huge japanophile gaming and anime/manga audience in the west. Unfortunately, most of them are pirates and don't pay to support the industry that they love so much.
Piracy is another reason why the weeaboo demographic isn't as significant as its constituents would like to think. They get their fix of anime and manga by downloading fan translations and so they never complain about the lack of official releases for those. Video game translations require more technical work (normally, translators are in the shortest supply; for games, it's finding someone who can hack the game data) and so are less common. Weeaboos like to whine about Japanese games not getting an English release and how Japanese companies don't want to make money. In reality, what most of them are really whining about is not having an English version of a game to pirate and have to hope that someone will do an English fan translation.

I'd be conservative about the population of a sub-culture, weeaboos or otherwise. The Internet, despite (or perhaps, because of) its ability to reach far and wide, is just as self-isolating if not more so than real life. Whatever niche interest you have, you can easily find others who share that. Take a look at TPU; it's a huge gathering of computer enthusiasts. Coming in here, you'd think there must be millions of such people around the world. Going back to real life, you know that most people can't tell the difference between RAID 0 and RAID 1, think that 1080p is a huge resolution for a 55" screen (or know what the 'p' means), and don't even spare a thought about mechanical keyboards.

There's an interesting Ars Technica article about 7th-gen console sales. The X360 is about to pass the Wii in total consoles sold in the West (US and UK) with the PS3 a distant third. However, console sales in Japan and the rest of the world follow a different trend: the PS3 is a close second to the Wii while the X360 is a distant third (Japan's case is hilarious). Weeaboos may not likely pay for games, but they still need the hardware since it's... harder to pirate. Even the existence of Dolphin, a VERY functional Wii emulator (surpassing base console capabilities and being released in the heydays of the 7th-gen, no less), hasn't really dampened Wii sales. Weeaboos would more likely go for a PS3 (many Japanese games) than a Wii (can be emulated) or an X360 (few Japanese games). Thus if weeaboos were significant, the X360 would have a much smaller lead over the PS3. Clearly, this is not the case, particularly in the US. Also keep in mind that the rest of the world is generally less likely to get all those non-flagship Japanese games.

Going back to Final Fantasy on PC, the first FF7 PC release was made for Westerners. It was not released in Japan. So yes, Japanese game companies actually do market research. Speaking of which, Cave, a Japanese developer of shoot-em-ups, is aware of their foreign fans. Since an overseas version would not be fiscally sane, Cave did the next best thing: they made their games import-friendly by making them region-free (the shump genre not demanding Japanese literacy also helps). Going back to the Ars article, while the US and UK make up more than half of worldwide console sales (except for the PS3), sheer numbers cannot make up for taste. Index, the parent company of Atlus (of Persona and Shin Megami Tensei fame), has filed for bankruptcy. One of the reasons cited was lackluster sales in foreign markets. For those not in the know, Atlus has had a long history of porting its games to the West. Perhaps Square Enix really is onto something with its new "regionality" strategy.

TL;DR version: Weeaboos, please stop being self-entitled whiners. There aren't enough of you for companies to feel confident targeting. Go learn Japanese and then you can import (or more likely, pirate) the games you want without having to worry about a language barrier ever again. いい方法だね?

Processor Ryzen 5800X
Case Lian Li O11D Mini
Wow, surprised that people are still giving their opinions on the dying franchise (from what I think)

Currently replaying FFX on an Emulator, and playing Dissidia Duodecim on a PSP emu ( I don't have a real PSP :C )

I'd have to say the FFX voice acting was alright, but there were moments that it really sucked.

as of new FF's, There's a FFXIV beta testing application that I've been thinking to sing up for, but I don't know if I have to pay anything for it. I know you have to create a squreEnix account for it, but afterwards the application do I have to pay to play Beta? or they would just give me a key and I could play right away (without paying anything)?

Really wish they would just make FFXIV a free to play genre so more players could get into it, and also consider Western players (even If I'm asian myself); I mean look at Kingdom Hearts, you merged east and west ideas and you ended up with unlimited profits (although it went downhill with Birth by sleep IMO)

anyone else trying out the FFXIV beta? did you pay anything for it?

EDIT: Read reviews online, they say it sucks :/ although I would like to see it myself

Case Phanteks P500A
Software Windows 10
its a dying franchise in the west, not in the east, Most of my favorite rpgs were not even released in the US or UK, one game im thinking of getting imported is Zillions of Enemy X but I can't find much info on it but am hearing good things

no you don't need to pay to play FFXIV beta(I got a key 2 days ago myself) but if you want to try now you might end up with a uk key(like me) but you can still play fine and you do need a key to play right now, no key, no game.

its not that bad, a little boring at first but it evens out.

yup, FF9 was also the best FF9 to me also.:eek:

and Index filing for bankruptcy,thats terrible man, terrible, they make some good games(better games than square anyway) If atlus goes down, I would be so sad man.

this is where I got my FF XIV RR key from ftw
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/416801/free-final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-beta-keys/

Last edited: