• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

A list of MMO's and my thoughts, which one to invest time in... hmm

Ephremius

Processor 2500k @ 4.7
Cooling Noctua NH-D14, with IC Diamond 24 carat on GPU + CPU
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600 X.M.P.
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200 core 1500 mem
Display(s) 2560 x 1440 27" 5ms @ 105hz
Software Windows 8 Pro
I have played just about every MMORPG since Open Beta in World of Warcraft. WoW was fun the first year but I quit at the end of 2005 due to to many changes, but it was a great time while it lasted.

Rift was actually quite fun, however, the idea of Rifts always popping up just turned me off to the game, I didn't feel drawn into a deeper story, oh look another random Rift just opened up, lets go... (I didn't last very long to say the least as I am drawn to deep storytelling)

Tera's combat was a real eye opener, I bought it the day it came out, but lack of a community on the server I was on made me quit, alongside I am just so tired of seeing women made out as sex objects, that one race in Tera looks like a underage prostitutes and there is no denying it. I mean come on guys... seriously...

SWTOR I played a Jedi Sentinel to level 34, and while it was fun at the time, it still left me feeling empty, and the boss battles at the end of instances just felt like tank and spank all the time, very disappointing in the amount of skill or awareness that was needed to defeat bosses.

FFXI was fun, I played a Galka Monk to level 31, but no one wanted a Monk in there group, or perhaps the server I was on was just dead... but I ended up fishing for Moat Carp a lot which actually became quite fun, I made lots of Gil, and ended up giving it away to random people when I quit.

FFXIV huge disappointment, got to level 4 and quit like most people... but I just pre-ordered A Realm Reborn and played the beta, and it is vastly superior... so hopefully this is my new MMO for awhile, still trying to decide if I want to take a Paladin to 50 or a Black Mage to 50. ^^ kupo

Ragnarok 2 F2P on Steam recently, I gave this a shot and it was actually very enjoyable, there just was not enough depth for me to really stick around.

Many others... feel free to add your thoughts on what MMO I should give a shot (or another shot)... but ALSO TELL ME WHY and why you recommend this MMO... thanks kupo!

KillerWRabbit

Processor AMD 1090T (OC 3.8ghz)
Motherboard M4A79T Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2
Memory 12 gig DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) 7970
Storage 1 TB 32mb sata
Display(s) LG 22" HD LCD monitor
Case CM Trooper
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi pro gamer
Power Supply CM 850w
Software Win 7 64 bit
You should give Neverwinter a try, to be able to create your own adventures is a nice idea. I found some MMO's lacking in staying power, either there was not many fun things to do or the game was too much a theme park. Hopefuly by making your own content, Neverwinter should keep me happy for the long term. Also it's D&D and free to try, what's not to like.

Though SWTOR was fun (new FP or operations have added better fights), it was too much a theme park for me in the end. I felt that you either rolled a new char to see the other story lines or spend most of the time on fleet waiting for a FP,Op, or WZ to pop. There was nothing in the world(s) that was fun to do apart from FP, Ops, or WZ's.

Guild Wars 2 is also fun if you like wondering around the landscape in search of wonders. Also some of the design elements are nice. Being able to come across a event that it happening, and to able to join in the fun..... is well fun.

I havn't heard bad things about Star Trek online and you can make your own content. I watch a friend via Skype share screen have a space battle and it reminded me of Starfleet Command style of combat. The ground combat maybe be not to everyones taste though

Last edited:

AlienIsGOD

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Aliens Ryzen Rig | 2nd Hand Omen
Processor Ryzen R5 5600 | Ryzen R5 3600
Motherboard Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (F61 BIOS) | B450 matx
Cooling DeepCool Castle EX V2 240mm AIO| stock for now
Memory 8GB X 2 DDR4 3000mhz Team Group Vulcan | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 8GB | GTX 1650 4GB
Storage Adata XPG 8200 PRO 512GB SSD OS / 240 SSD + 2TB M.2 SSD Games / 1000 GB Data | SSD + HDD
Display(s) Acer ED273 27" VA 144hz Freesync |TCL 32" 1080P w/ HDR
Case NZXT H500 Black | HP Omen Obelisk
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek | Onboard Realtek
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650w 80+ Gold | 500w
Mouse Steelseries Rival 500 15 button mouse w/ Razor Goliathus Chroma XL mousemat | Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spark RGB w/ Romer G tactile keys | Logitech G513 Carbon w/ Romer G tactile keys
Software Windows 10 Pro | Windows 10 Pro
if you havent played WoW since 2005, it may be worth picking up the exp packs on sale this summer. 7 years away from WoW means you may come back to a completely different game.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
Yea FFXIV ARR is something to look forward to.
Totally different game.
I have been playing it. Got beta access for being a 1.0 player.
Definitely worth checking out.

Also if you haven't seen this topic I posted about Star citizen, an upcoming game.
TBA like 2014 but this is a top notch, super high production value crew here.
Talking Old school game makers with tons of industry respect and 3d modelers from star wars and Avatar.
Star Citizen: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183531

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Have you tried "the secret world"? I have heard good things.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
That is a long time from WoW, I still say Vanilla was the best by far, but it would give you a lot of new content to look at.

Also like said, check out Neverwinter, I didn't find the world all that engaging, but the dungeons are the best I have ever seen in an MMO.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Last edited:
System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.

Ephremius

Processor 2500k @ 4.7
Cooling Noctua NH-D14, with IC Diamond 24 carat on GPU + CPU
Memory 16gb DDR3 1600 X.M.P.
Video Card(s) Sapphire 7950 @ 1200 core 1500 mem
Display(s) 2560 x 1440 27" 5ms @ 105hz
Software Windows 8 Pro
James, I will wait for the Open Beta July 9th, I am busy working 12 hour shifts each day pretty much until then anyway. Thanks for the heads up though.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
From a PvP'rs perspective guild wars 2 was quite poor compared to their first game. GW2 seems to be more about the PvE than PvP.

GW1 might be old but I prefer it, not just for the PvP but because of the fact you can completely make your own builds for PvE or PvP. There is some level of customisation available when it comes to builds but you are stuck with whatever limited skills are available depending on your weapons and that just bores me to death on an entirely different level.... the build you use for PvE is viable in PvP and all the fun, hard work and sense of achievement when coming up with a build that works and synergises well and totally original as opposed to the millions of others out there who run the exact same combination of skills albeit with a different attribute spread.

I played GW2 for a few weeks. really tried to get into it but from Day 1 it was still buggy as hell. Maps were bugged, quests and events were bugged - all that and a huge dislike for enemies that turn into sponges the moment a crowd has gathered to take it down.

As someone who pre-ordered the game well ahead of its launch date, it was not the promised lands I was looking for. There is only so much PvE I can take

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I played WoW from vanilla until the damned Pandaland update, and god knows I've tried to get into other MMO's since. Nothing compares to WoW when you've played it for so long, its been refined. It has also however, been sh*t upon by blizzard over the recent years so I'll never go back.
GW1 captivated me for 3 years, now the community has disappeared. GW2 is a polished turd, played it for a month then quit because you can complete the game (what kind of MMO can you COMPLETE FFS?) I played SW:TOR and it was cool, then they rolled back a month, so I quit.
Then I played Neverwinter, had huge amounts of fun, and then PAY2WIN. And dont tell me its not. You can pay for diamands, and diamonds get you top end gear ten times faster. That is Pay2win.
I quit MMO's and took up CS:GO and LoL.
I patiently wait for Roberts Space Industries coming Messiah.

D

Deleted member 24505

Trouble is, a lot of MMO's have a pay2be a dick thing now, which puts me off. I also played WOW a lot, 5lvl 85's but not played since the panda came out, keep getting tempted though I must admit.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Trouble is, a lot of MMO's have a pay2be a dick thing now, which puts me off. I also played WOW a lot, 5lvl 85's but not played since the panda came out, keep getting tempted though I must admit.

It's filled with 14 year olds. Who queue as tanks as a DK in full PVP DPS gear.
Oh, DK's are even more faceroll now, by the way.

D

Deleted member 24505

It's filled with 14 year olds. Who queue as tanks as a DK in full PVP DPS gear.
Oh, DK's are even more faceroll now, by the way.

I remember the times, queue for ages, only to get a dktard who doesn't know what the feck he is doing.

Shame it's a bit fecked up now, cause it is a good game sometimes.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I remember the times, queue for ages, only to get a dktard who doesn't know what the feck he is doing.

Shame it's a bit fecked up now, cause it is a good game sometimes.

I used to play horde, on and off since before Burning Crusade. I was never that into doing anything with others, but in late 2012 I did play quite a bit with dungeons and PvPing. Now I have a new account, figured I'd go with alliance to see the other side of the story sort of thing, and for some reason the difference between the players are immense. It's even the same server I used to be on, and when I played as horde most players I encountered were serious and pretty decent people, and if they weren't good they totally tried to be. Now though ... I have turned off all chats everywhere because every single channel wherever you go is filled with the inane chatter of 14 year olds thinking they are funny. I tried to do some dungeons but it was no point as everyone was asshats. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I have encountered the argument that horde players generally are more mature and I always thought "that sure is stupid". Now I'm not so sure.

With that said, I have heard good things about the Secret World.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
warhammer online was good one at the beggining but after land of dead mythic took very wrong development path and now game is playerd only by die hard fans.
that was most briliant concept for pvp game miserably failed by stupid dev decisions for balance/game evolving and not fixed day one bugs.

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I used to play horde, on and off since before Burning Crusade. I was never that into doing anything with others, but in late 2012 I did play quite a bit with dungeons and PvPing. Now I have a new account, figured I'd go with alliance to see the other side of the story sort of thing, and for some reason the difference between the players are immense. It's even the same server I used to be on, and when I played as horde most players I encountered were serious and pretty decent people, and if they weren't good they totally tried to be. Now though ... I have turned off all chats everywhere because every single channel wherever you go is filled with the inane chatter of 14 year olds thinking they are funny. I tried to do some dungeons but it was no point as everyone was asshats. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

I have encountered the argument that horde players generally are more mature and I always thought "that sure is stupid". Now I'm not so sure.

I also switched to Horde, because they had the best progression and won 67% of the PVP matches (i was big on BG's and Arena) on my server.

D

Deleted member 24505

I always played Horde, and there was a general consensus that Alliance was all snot nosed kids, you seem to have just proved that to be true.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
The market is currently hurrendously over-saturated with MMO's at the moment, you have to wade though a lot of sh*t to find something decent now. Planetside 2 is a good bit of fun if you join the RPS Journalist guys on their Mumble. Alternatively buy BF3 and join the TPU teamspeak server and play with us every night.
I now generally avoid 99% of Free2Play titles, there are a couple of great ones, but the rest are god awful.

D

Deleted member 24505

The market is currently hurrendously over-saturated with MMO's at the moment, you have to wade though a lot of sh*t to find something decent now. Planetside 2 is a good bit of fun if you join the RPS Journalist guys on their Mumble. Alternatively buy BF3 and join the TPU teamspeak server and play with us every night.
I now generally avoid 99% of Free2Play titles, there are a couple of great ones, but the rest are god awful.

Generally free2play=pay2win

From a PvP'rs perspective guild wars 2 was quite poor compared to their first game. GW2 seems to be more about the PvE than PvP.

GW1 might be old but I prefer it, not just for the PvP but because of the fact you can completely make your own builds for PvE or PvP. There is some level of customisation available when it comes to builds but you are stuck with whatever limited skills are available depending on your weapons and that just bores me to death on an entirely different level.... the build you use for PvE is viable in PvP and all the fun, hard work and sense of achievement when coming up with a build that works and synergises well and totally original as opposed to the millions of others out there who run the exact same combination of skills albeit with a different attribute spread.

I played GW2 for a few weeks. really tried to get into it but from Day 1 it was still buggy as hell. Maps were bugged, quests and events were bugged - all that and a huge dislike for enemies that turn into sponges the moment a crowd has gathered to take it down.

As someone who pre-ordered the game well ahead of its launch date, it was not the promised lands I was looking for. There is only so much PvE I can take

I have to agree with you on how GW2 WAS. All of your points were valid previously.

The difference is that Anet has had months to iron out all of the stupid crap. 95% of events are operational now, with the rate of fixes approximately matching the rate of break-downs. The PvE is an initial focus, but if you missed WvW you were missing a huge chunk of the game. Level scaling is more reasonable in PvE, and the enemies are less spongy for the sake of extended beatings.

PvP is still kinda broken. The skilled players do very well, but I generally can't say I like it.

Anet has also begun to expand their content output. We've seen a whole new area unlocked (Southsun Cove), multiple large story events, and a crap ton of balancing done. It isn't still the game that launched.

I'd recommend you come back and say hello. The game is better than it used to be, though it is still improving. Considering that it's free to play (the good kind, not pay to win), the most you could be out is the cost of any other game.

System Name Windforce
Processor i7-4790K @4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Gene VII
Cooling Swiftech H220X
Memory 12GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming
Storage 1x Western Digital 160GB 1x OCZ ARC 240GB SSD
Case Corsair Carbide Air 240
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Coolermaster CM Storm Quickfire TK
Software Windows 10

Im pretty tired of wow and league of legends but im a horrible fps player if u won't mind having me on bf3

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I've been playing EVE Online almost exclusively for the last couple of months. I spent years playing WoW and quit after Cataclysm.

UO is still my favorite MMO by far, only it's far too hard to look at these days.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Generally free2play=pay2win

The problem with Free 2 Play is this. There's only two ways the system can work. The first is that the game is immensely popular, so much so that people are willing to spend money on purely cosmetic items, and the amount they are willing to spend is more than enough to keep the studio afloat (only good example I can think of is League of Legends). Or two, the game is decently popular, but not enough where cosmetic only items are enough to keep the studio up, so they must introduce killer items or shortcuts to loot that really interest people.

Most F2P games just don't have the audience to run the cosmetic system, so they have to introduce great items or shortcuts to great loot for cash. That can be attributed to a studio issue (people could say, "well they just need to make a better game"). But for the most part, it just simply is what it is, they obviously don't make enough off just cosmetics so they need to run a pay 2 win model, or the game will most likely go bust. And running a pay 2 win model then pushes more people away, compounding the issue, and the game will most likely never be able to run the cosmetic only systems, it's a vicious cycle.

Top dog (MMO or MOBA) gets the cake, everyone else gets table scraps. WoW gets a sub model, everyone else mostly runs F2P because most people aren't will to invest $15 a month for numerous games, or invest the time for both, but if ones free they will dabble around in it and at least try it. Where as League has a huge following, and gaming tournaments, and a successful pay model, others are left kind of struggling (though the effect here isn't nearly as bad as the MMO side).

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
Rift has gone free 2 play this past month. Definitely one of the better models out there.

A level 60 150% speed mount only costs $5. compare that to LOTR's $20. It'll probably take you a month or two casual playing to get that high, too.