• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

help me my comp loads bios then restarts

Q

quasar923

help me when i started up my computer this morning after it was working last night 12 hours ago it wont start up. it loads bios and then it spins the disks and then it restarts what should i do?????

Namslas90

help me when i started up my computer this morning after it was working last night 12 hours ago it wont start up. it loads bios and then it spins the disks and then it restarts what should i do?????

How long have you let it spin, it may be trying to repaire self.
Press F8 at startup and see if you can boot into safe mode. Then use checkdisk or system restore to repair. If that don't work try to reset the CMOS jumper.

System Name W.I.P.

Start with resetting the bios and see if it will boot, I noticed that your system is overclocked, and maybe it has become more hungry for voltage?

Q

quasar923

yes i resoted the bios and all to defaults and right now im doing a repair through the windows xp cd and its taking a longgggg time and is still only 3 percent done and its beeen like 35 mins. but i havnt tried he cmos jumper yet i was thinking of that. but when i press f8 at start up it doesnt display safe mode it says which divice would you likke to boot from and it shows my dvd drive, my hdd, floppy drive, and thats it no safe mode.

Q

quasar923

yea and when ilet it spin it spins for like 5 seconds then it atomatically restarts

Q

quasar923

no i restarted it bc it was taking so long

but im doing it again

Q

quasar923

do u think i should just reinstall windows bc i had to do this once before like 2 weeks ago bc of daemon tools and i had my freind save all my music and movies on 2 dvds and ive only gottten like 5 new movies off of ares and i could get those again bc it could save some time doing it taht way

System Name Clarise
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Toledo) @2.8 (255 X 11)
Motherboard Asus A8v Deluxe rev 2
Cooling Gigabyte 3D Cooler Pro + 5 Case Fans
Memory 2GB G-Skill (2.5-3-3-6 1T) @ 467mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 @ 640-814
Storage Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB (Sata) Maxtor 120GB (Sata) Western Digital 120GB (ide)
Display(s) 19" HP Pavilion M90 / 33" Sony Wega Trinitron
Case Antec Lanboy with a few mods :0)
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 4 Pro - Bose Free Style 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply Rosewill Extreme Edition 500W 34A 12V rail
Software Windows XP Pro & Vista Ultimate
it sounds like the only way you will be able to get the movies off is to put the hard drive back in your friends computer and do it that way again. when you reset the CMOS what did it do when you tried to boot?

Q

quasar923

it said cmos error defaults loaded and then at the botton it said press f1 to continue and delete to enter setup

Q

quasar923

i dont really care about those 5 movies bc i have everything else on those dvds but the thing taht pisses me off is seting up the drivers and reinstall ing my software like anti virus stuf and aim and all the windows updates it takes like 3 hours so if it would just resotre itslef it would begreat but i could reinstall it if worst comes to worst

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
ive done exactly what you did lol.. you started messing with stuff didnt u? lol.. have u tried the repair? i wouldn't.. I would install the OS again and wipe the HD clean before i did because you corrupted you sys 32 files somewhere im willing to bet. change your boot options in bios to boot from cd and put in the os cd.. remember to reformat the hd 1st if you don't mind doing it..
if you do mind doing it then idk what to tell you lol.. this is what worked for me.. and trying to repair it once u messed it up this bad can lead to you double installing your os and causing large configuration errors and missing file errors and copy file errors.. i'd wipe and reinstall.. but thats me..

ps.. so what software was it you installed that made it crash? lol.. you know the one you installed that made you say to yourself "hey why does this seem like it's running slower" yea, don't install that again.. do not use ntunes auto optimiser either.. and make sure if your using riva that you don't have apply setting at start up checked in open gl and low level hard ware at the same time.. it will cause conflicts.

Q

quasar923

no this time i didnt change anything in bios or nything it just didnt start thats y im confussed

System Name HAL
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
no this time i didnt change anything in bios or nything it just didnt start thats y im confussed

didnt start? like a black screen and it wont reboot it's self now? if so let it keep doing that.. even if it takes an hour... but you don't see any bios screen or anything to get into config?
oh I see what you mean. your still talking aboutt he same issue.. i was thinking this may be a new issue.. i see now. you overclocked something to highly likely.. but odds are you still corrupted files. also I would wipe my HD just because you said this is something that keeps happening.. you corrupted files somehow.. you downloaded something thats conflicting with your hardware or software.. try not installing to many tools, their great at skrewing your comp up.. and things like animated screen savers of the universe..lol fyi.. i went thru that..

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
D007, Im impressed. You've come a long way from our PM sessions ::rofl::

I sort of had this problem before, and it was because of my ocing. Id drop it down a little on the overclock and see if that helps. As LiNKiN said, it may be now wanting more juice from your PSU, and even though your PSU is a nice one, it might not have enough AMPS on the 12V rail to support the oc's you have.

Q

quasar923

yes well right now i have it set at stock speeds and everything defaulted in bios but it still wont start. and if i wanted to wipe my hdd i just put in the windows cd and it does it for me correct bc thats wat ive always done.

System Name HAL
yes well right now i have it set at stock speeds and everything defaulted in bios but it still wont start. and if i wanted to wipe my hdd i just put in the windows cd and it does it for me correct bc thats wat ive always done.
yep, that'll do it.. just make sure you wipe the hd clean and dont try to repair.. you want to reformat the whole HD not just reinstall windows.. especially if this happened before.. it'll likeley just happen again unless you get rid of whatever is hiding on your hd causing conflicts.Hmm i remember before typing /format c: when i did that i can't remember.. or where.. sorry.. but i think the install cd negates the need for that because it allows you to do that while installing by installing a fresh copy..Heres a link to a step by step..

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/reinstall-reformat-winxp/index.html#reinstallxp you have xp right?

System Name HAL
D007, Im impressed. You've come a long way from our PM sessions ::rofl::

I sort of had this problem before, and it was because of my ocing. Id drop it down a little on the overclock and see if that helps. As LiNKiN said, it may be now wanting more juice from your PSU, and even though your PSU is a nice one, it might not have enough AMPS on the 12V rail to support the oc's you have.

Hey Thanks for the compliment, trust me it's nice to know I finally actually know something lol.. :D

lol u like that buddy? I promise yas I never try to get something for nothing.. I intend on helping out quite a few people around here :D Learned a hell of alot over the past month lol.. I can build a computer from nothing and get it to run from nothing now.. sweet..lol.. and even do raid set up now..
hey it's thanks to you guys I can do it in the first place :toast:

yea I agree with ya War, the OC'n can do it easily.. but his stalling and lagging while booting and rebooting just screams simliarities to me.. I did the same thing when I got overzealous with Oc'n lol.. installed a bunch of software and it didnt happen immediately but the software seemed to set its roots in over a day and it completely crashed me..

I tried reinstalling the os and it just caused more problems than i could imagine due to some corrupted sys 32 files. and some of the stuff didnt delete once i reinstalled windows. effectively leaving me with windows xp one and a half times.. which conflicted like crazy and made no sense that it even did that in the 1st place.. it actually left files duplicated in another folder system with config files side by side with the new config files.. but duplicates.. was a nightmare..lol.. took me days to figure out how to fix it.

word to the wise.. don't install multiple OC'n software.. thats a nice and easy way to cause conflicts if your not paying attention.

Last edited:
Q

quasar923

well i did the repair and im on my comp now and everything was like i left it. do u think ares got it a virus or something?

System Name HAL
and how would i o'c my comp more i cant get past 2.66 ghz

i'd worry more about getting my computer working stable and less about Oc'n right now..lol does it work yet? .. oh, it works now apparently, good good.. I told you I wouldn't of done the repair though..lol..

ok see in a few days when u crash again..lol.. u said u didnt care about the 5 movies so why try to repair a HD that has fatal errors? i would of reformatted it. It would of cleaned the drive and helped stabilise the system by removing all the junk on it and letting you start fresh.. but if your to nervous to do that then you should call tech support or print a walkthrough..

I can't believe your going right back to doing what crashed your system withouth even trying to figure out what caused the problem in the first place..lol your so asking for it.. something that is on your system right now crashed it.. you did a repair.. windows was fine until it crashed.. some 3rd party software will corrupt your files again I'm willing to bet. also your on dual A 64's not quad cores and your running 1 gb not 2..

don't push it to much man your gonna fry your stuff.. 2.6 is very respectable you don't need to be able to say "yay I have 3.0 ghz" it amounts only to you following that statement up with "aww man my system crashed" just like now for example lol.. if you really want to push it.. up the voltage.. but you better be sure your system can handle it and the temperatures it will cause.. or you will most certainly be looking like hell in the face when you fry your system.

It's almost certainly not a virus.. more than likely it's a system configuration corruption due to conflicting software.

Last edited:

Sh00t1st

System Name Battlefield 3
Processor Phenom II x3 715 heka unlocked to x4 3.3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE ga-ma785g-ud3h
Cooling arctic cooling freezer 64 pro
Memory 4 gig ddr2
Video Card(s) saphire 5770
Storage 60gb mushkin ssd,120 and 160 gig ide
Display(s) 1 19" crt, 2 17" crt
Case 30 dollar gaming case with fan grills removed
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 450 corsair
Software windows 7
Benchmark Scores Plays battlefield 3 well enough that i was ranked 1st globally in vehicles for november and december
im willing to bet it was a bad boot sector, or something along those lines. and D007 :toast: , im glad you have the pass it on mentality, as i impart knowledge to you, you than impart knowledge to others :), oh and take some pics of your computer :cool: and pm them to me or something.

System Name HAL
im willing to bet it was a bad boot sector, or something along those lines. and D007 :toast: , im glad you have the pass it on mentality, as i impart knowledge to you, you than impart knowledge to others :), oh and take some pics of your computer :cool: and pm them to me or something.

yea i definitely will spoot.. it looks so cool with the clear side panel and blue light up fans..lol im so loving it.. i just need to get pics from my phone to my comp or find a digital cam to use. which of course i dont have lol..

and yea I intend on helping alot of people out if i can.. I can't promise I'm the best at anything yet, but at least I can help with what I know :D.. wouldn't be fair of me to let you guys show me so much then not at least do the same for others.. thatd be selfish.. and as long as your not trying to reach into my bag of uhm.. "cheetos".. i aint selfish..lol..

Sh00t1st

System Name Battlefield 3
Processor Phenom II x3 715 heka unlocked to x4 3.3ghz
Motherboard GIGABYTE ga-ma785g-ud3h
Cooling arctic cooling freezer 64 pro
Memory 4 gig ddr2
Video Card(s) saphire 5770
Storage 60gb mushkin ssd,120 and 160 gig ide
Display(s) 1 19" crt, 2 17" crt
Case 30 dollar gaming case with fan grills removed
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 450 corsair
Software windows 7
Benchmark Scores Plays battlefield 3 well enough that i was ranked 1st globally in vehicles for november and december
heard anything from your brother about getting his old card to me ? :p if not thats cool, im a nice guy and tend to do things for free :) when it comes to helping someone.