• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DayZ (Mod for ARMA II: OAH) Clubhouse

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
Good, the only bad thing is I logged out at NWAF and ai shootedmy heli

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Nope. AI is still everywhere and is completely OP.

Hmmm thats odd. I did what the readme says to create custom triggers but maybe I missed something. I will research more today.

*EDIT*

Ok I fixed it! Turns out I edited the wrong file so now the only AI spawns are the ones I previously mentioned. I tested by fast traveling to all the cities on the coast and looting for a little bit checking the map for AI to spawn and there is no triggers on the map for any of the coastal cities except balota airfield.

Last edited:
System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
Have you normalized your database? Like normalization 1-3, 3rd level being ideal

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64
I have no clue

If you normalize the database, you should nto have to restart your server so often. The problem with the Hive DB is that it is a high latency style DB. It also is not normalized in general. it is something each server admin needs to do. This is also why the DayZ devs say they can't add ACRE support. They claim that the radio IDs and stuff are not going to work and all that jazz. If your database is something like DB2 and normalized to level 3, you should have no problem adding in damn near ANY mod. What a DayZ server needs is a low latency SQL server model. The Hive DB is based on a system made by Facebook.called hadoop. Hive SQL statements are actually HQL not SQL. They are similar but are actually very limited. They are useful but not as good as SQL.

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/infosphere/hadoop/hive/ said:
Hive looks very much like traditional database code with SQL access. However, because Hive is based on Hadoop and MapReduce operations, there are several key differences. The first is that Hadoop is intended for long sequential scans, and because Hive is based on Hadoop, you can expect queries to have a very high latency (many minutes). This means that Hive would not be appropriate for applications that need very fast response times, as you would expect with a database such as DB2. Finally, Hive is read-based and therefore not appropriate for transaction processing that typically involves a high percentage of write operations.

If the hive actually uses MySQL and is just called that in the DayZ community then you can and should normalize the database. By normalize I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization said:
the process of organizing the fields and tables of a relational database to minimize redundancy and dependency. Normalization usually involves dividing large tables into smaller (and less redundant) tables and defining relationships between them. The objective is to isolate data so that additions, deletions, and modifications of a field can be made in just one table and then propagated through the rest of the database using the defined relationships.

Take a look at About.com's article about normalization and why it is important.
http://databases.about.com/od/specificproducts/a/normalization.htm

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2012/05/16/sql-server-high-performance-inserts/ said:
Let’s imagine that we’re building the data layer for a multiplayer game. The data layer probably contains tons of different persistent storage devices – user logs, game activity diagnostic data, auction houses, persistent user data, and so on.

If you ever see this kind of code, this is by far the worst thing you can ever do:
Code:
SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(my_connection_string);
conn.Open();
// This is a massive SQL injection vulnerability - don't ever write your own SQL statements with string formatting!
String sql = String.Format(@"INSERT INTO item_drops 
    (item_id, monster_class, zone_id, xpos, ypos) 
    VALUES 
    ({0}, '{1}', {2}, {3}, {4}, {5})", item_id, monster_class, zone_id, xpos, ypos);
SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn);
cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
// Because this call to Close() is not wrapped in a try/catch/finally clause, it could be missed if an 
// exception occurs above.  Don't do this!
conn.Close();

here’s what good code looks like:
Code:
using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(my_connection_string)) {
    conn.Open();
    string sql = "INSERT INTO item_drops_rev1 (item_id, monster_class, zone_id, xpos, ypos) VALUES (@item_id, @monster_class, @zone_id, @xpos, @ypos)";
    using (SqlCommand cmd = new SqlCommand(sql, conn)) {
        cmd.Parameters.Add("@item_id", item_id);
        cmd.Parameters.Add("@monster_class", monster_class);
        cmd.Parameters.Add("@zone_id", zone_id);
        cmd.Parameters.Add("@xpos", xpos);
        cmd.Parameters.Add("@ypos", ypos);
        cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
    }
}

This code, using the SQLCommand and parameters, gets the job done and it’s fast. Running a test on an old laptop I have around, I was able to insert 10,000 records in 7.768 seconds. This kind of performance is good enough for most companies; running on a proper server it would be 3-4 times faster and everyone would be happy. For a business application this code is fine, easy to maintain, and reliable.

That said, we’re a gaming company, and what works for us is a bit different than the code used by an accounts payable system that processes a few tens of thousands of records per day. You’re probably going to put this code up in front of a web service that gets called every time a zone server in your game records a kill, so maybe 10,000 kills in 7-8 seconds isn’t good enough.

hope that quote helped. I kinda pulled from several parts of the post to create the quote.

I have been reading the DayZ forums on the hive database and they mention sql files but not how they are processed or even if they are normalized. But if they are actually using the Facebook based HIVE system, that is not good. It causes so many problems with game servers and latency. The high latency allows you to dupe items since the database can take several minutes to query your items.

I hope that made sense. ^_^

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I haven't seen a private hive not use SQL in some form or another.

•Eliminate duplicative columns from the same table.
•Create separate tables for each group of related data and identify each row with a unique column or set of columns (the primary key).

This is already done in DayZ. There are not duplicative columns and all tables are separate. Most of the folks who have made private DayZ servers (especially with Overwatch) have implemented these things.

Basically these optimizations only apply to someone who is building a server client from scratch.

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Hi guys just enjoyed an hour or so play on this server,Was fun as hell in zed land :roll: If you guys want to check out the this Epoch server your more then welcome to come on in,We run friendly non pvp server and in Epoch you spend more time looking for loot like gold ,also building crafting... and we have towing (only Mi-8-17 helis ch47 for lifting) Bandit Ai that roams but is so turned down not like Sarges AI that uses hax .....LOL So if your in the mood tonight come check it out will post your over-watch one in our server too :):respect:

Link to server info http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/382164

Video one of our players made when we went to Epoch Cypher was his name And you see me in it (MED) NuclearFallOut

DayZ Epoch. A look into the trading side of the ap...

Im also an admin so if you come in when im on just ask for help ,I will come down to coast pick you up and give you some gold(1 Brief case) when we get to traders. :respect:

So i will see you on either server from now on yours Rocks too Take care guys ..:pimp:

System Name The White Breeze||Medion Akoya Ultrabook
Processor i7-3770k||Core i5-3317U
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPOWER||Laptop?
Cooling Custom TEC waterloop||Laptop?
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 2133MHz||8GB SDRAM
Video Card(s) 2X SLI MSI GeForce GTX 680 Lightning||Intel 4000
Storage Corsair GT 120GB, WD Caviar Black 1TB||500GB HDD with 32gb MSATA cache
Display(s) Samsung U28D590D 4k||14" LED
Case NZXT Switch 810||Laptop shell?
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4
Power Supply Seasonic XP-860 Platinum||Laptop Power Brick
Software Windows 7||Windows 8
Where is this mythical "altar" you speak of. I wish to travel there and loot it to hell.
Oh and I think there is another issue with AI.
I was driving around airfield in a BTR 40, just running over AI. For some reason they will not shoot at this vehicle. I do not know if it is the same for *all* armoured vehicles.

Last edited:
System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
Where is this mythical "altar" you speak of. I wish to travel there and loot it to hell.
I was driving around airfield in a BTR 40, just running over AI. For some reason they will not shoot at this vehicle. I do not know if it is the same for *all* armoured vehicles.

true they wont and yes for all armoured vehicles,try to get out next time and see if they shoot you,I did ounce and got it right in the manhood with double barrel shotgun welding lady bandit ....Ironic:banghead::roll:

brandonwh64

Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi surround pro 5.1||Dolby Home Theatre V4

brandonwh64

Its ok ALmost, cause I tried to clean up the DB of destroyed vehicles and managed to delete the weapons crates.

Its ok ALmost, cause I tried to clean up the DB of destroyed vehicles and managed to delete the weapons crates.
Ahh, no problem. Erocker and I were wondering where all the crates were when we got to altar.
We had a lot of fun today driving in a pimped out yellow 350z with some gang art on it. That thing would hit 100+ on the grass.

brandonwh64

For some reason they will spawn when the server is restarted but after the first person opens them they despawn so I gotta do more research. I may take that base out for now.

brandonwh64

Fixed the weapons crates by editing the server_cleanup.sqf and taking out some ammobox protective crap.

brandonwh64

*Exciting NEWS!* 8/28/2013

Release 1.7.7.2 Updated Change log

============
DayZ Mod Changelog
============

Version 1.8 (due to the game changes added version has been updated to reflect)
---------------

* Release Between - 07/09/2013 - 14/09/2013

Affected addons:

* dayz
* dayz_anim
* dayz_code
* dayz_server
* st_bunnyhop
* st_collision
* st_evasive

Serverside affected addons:

dayz_server (server admins only)
Mission (server admins only) (Prerequisites) Downloaded from http://www.silentspy...sion-generator/
BattlEye-Filters (server admins only)
SQL Files (server admins only)

Changes:

* [NEW] - Completely reworked inventory design.
* [NEW] - Spawn selection. (Balota, Berenzino, Cherno, Elektro, Kamenka, Solnichniy and Random) Server admins can choose to enable/disable. (DEFAULT: ENABLED)
* [NEW] - You may now access another player's gear if they are unconscious.
* [NEW] - Medbox1 and foodbox1 found at infected camps.
* [NEW] - Medbox1 added to hospital
* [NEW] - Object orientation system for better placement (will allow more control on object placement tents, stash, camo nets, tanktraps, sandbags, wirefence)
* [NEW] - Added item Camonet. (Helicrash, Military)
* [NEW] - Camo nets will be removed within 24 hours of owners death.
* [NEW] - Loot locations (Land_a_stationhouse, Land_HouseV2_04_interier, Land_Mil_Barracks_i, Land_SS_hangar)
* [NEW] - Log Suspicious weapons, kills with local vehicles and one shoot kills.
* [NEW] - Hold/carry functionality to gear.
* [NEW] - Weapon switch 1, 2, 3 keys function as hotkey. (1 => rifle, 2 => pistol, 3 => melee)
* [NEW] - Added plants model antihack.
* [NEW] - Death screen function. (Player will be moved to lobby after a 5 second timeout.)
* [NEW] - ShackTac Movement addons - This addon causes your weapon collision with the environment to be significantly toned down, meaning that you can now move sideways through doorways and generally find CQB to be enjoyable, versus feel like a rusted robot trying to navigate a terrifying alien world called 'indoors'. Try it out and see, it's simple and very noticeable.
* [NEW] - Vehicle - UH1H_DZ2 with Desert Skin.
* [NEW] - Crafting system implemented (All recipes must be discovered by crafting).
* [NEW] - Fishing has now been added.
* [NEW] - 1 new food item, 1 New melee weapon, New fish models.
* [NEW] - Crafted Traps. (Punji Trap, Tripwire (Cans), Tripwire (Decoy), Tripwire (Flare), Tripwire (Smoke), Tripwire (Grenade), Bear Trap (Grenade), Bear Trap (Flare), Bear Trap (Smoke))
* [NEW] - Crafted Medical. (Makeshift Bandage, Makeshift Splint (Wood), Makeshift Splint (Metal), Bloodbag (Transfusion Ready))
* [NEW] - Crafted Weapons. (Nailed Bat, Barbed Wire Bat, Sledge Bat, Batchete, Chloroform Rag, Makeshift Machete, Makeshift Sledgehammer)

* [FIXED] - Readded Bear trap to loot tables. (TrapBear)
* [FIXED] - Zed direction issue when under chase condition. (should stop them keep turning)
* [FIXED] - Issue where you'd get stuck after the tackle animation.
* [FIXED] - Infection divide by zero error.
* [FIXED] - Updated all zed movement systems to fall in line with the re-added LOS and Angle of attack checks. (This should improve zeds reaction times & make sure target is in hitting range)
* [FIXED] - Balanced Zed damage Normal returned to .7 Viral kept at 50% higher rate. (Both types can still knock players unconscious)
* [FIXED] - Viral zed's base damage updated to be Normal zed's highest damage output.
* [FIXED] - Small updated to overall damage output.
* [FIXED] - Major dupe, reconnect dupe and body dupe.
* [FIXED] - DayZ Loadingscreen if people have ACR.
* [FIXED] - Eating and drinking in vehicles.
* [FIXED] - Infection will now be properly removed at tents after logout
* [FIXED] - Re-added Beartrap to loot tables.
* [FIXED] - Death body doesn't disappear any more if the player disconnected too fast.
* [FIXED] - BattleFieldClearance antihack.
* [FIXED] - Hospital wallhack.
* [FIXED] - Antihack.
* [FIXED] - Removed benches in the middle of the NWAF barracks entrance.
* [FIXED] - Loot will now be more random within the weaponholders. (We wont allow two items of the same type in each pile)
* [FIXED] - Medical actions performed in vehicles now work properly.
* [FIXED] - BIS_Effects AirDestruction bug that sets the world on fire.

* [UPDATED] - Quick switch now has action menu swapping.
* [UPDATED] - PV optimization. (should remove some unwanted traffic)
* [UPDATED] - Czech, German, Spanish, French and Russian stringtable.
* [UPDATED] - Missionfile is now much smaller.
* [UPDATED] - Replaced combat roll with Shacktac Bunny Hop.
* [UPDATED] - Removed attack call from FSM due to latency. Playing who spawned the zed may not be the player the zed is attacking.
* [UPDATED] - Security updates.
* [UPDATED] - Updated hospital loot.
* [UPDATED] - Increased angle of attack.
* [UPDATED] - Infection base chance.
* [UPDATED] - Removed all trash items from building loot tables and replaced with a generic table (better organisation)
* [UPDATED] - Viral Workers have now been assigned home locations. (MilitarySpecial, Military,Industrial) (harder to spot)
* [UPDATED] - Viral Villagers have now been assigned home locations. (Supermarket,Farm,Residential) (easy to spot)
* [UPDATED] - Max smoke target range to 50.
* [UPDATED] - Loot spawning radius reduced from 120 to 70.
* [UPDATED] - Spawn delay reduced from 300 to 150.
* [UPDATED] - Humanity gain over time for bandits.
* [UPDATED] - Auto continue when mission loads for first time.
* [UPDATED] - Antiwallhack.
* [UPDATED] - Land_Mil_Guardhouse Now spawn's a max of 3 zeds down from the default of 6
* [UPDATED] - Players may now administer antibiotics to other players
* [UPDATED] - Players may now switch seats while in a helicopter (back seat, gunner, pilot).
* [UPDATED] - Removed non SD mags from SD weapons, Removed SD mags from non SD weapons. (weapon configs)

* [REMOVED] - Vehicle damage spam log.
* [REMOVED] - Collision system from tents, stash's, camo nets (Should allow storage system to be placed in better locations)
* [REMOVED] - Difficulty system due to issues with official hive. (Official hive cant hold multiple difficulty levels)
* [REMOVED] - Removed ArmA 2 squad command menu (0-9 or F1-F12)

Above is the proposed change log for release between - 07/09/2013 - 14/09/2013
Change log has already been passed by Rocket. Hopefully the next release's should follow pretty fast.

Source: Dayz Forums/R4Z0R

brandonwh64

Have you ever thought about how DayZ came to be? Here is Dean Halls experience surviving an almost death experience that fueled his idea for DayZ!

Dean Hall was close to death in the jungles of Brunei. It was December 2010 and the officer cadet in the New Zealand army was alone on a survival-training mission. Given only two days’ worth of food for 20 days, he supplemented his diet with raw fish and ferns. He slept on a bed of sticks, and by the end of the mission he’d lost 44 pounds from his already lean frame. There were other trainees out there, and he started to plot raids on their food supplies. He thought of himself as an honorable person, but he was too hungry for honor. As he approached one man’s camp, the guy spotted him and tossed him some rancid ramen. Hall boiled the noodles and wolfed them down.

That night, as water pooled around his bed and ramen roiled his stomach, he imagined himself inside his favorite videogame, a military simulation for PCs called Arma 2. He had been playing it since its release in 2009 and often spent three to four hours a day on the game. Now, lying on the jungle floor, his feverish imagination turned Arma 2 into something different. He visualized a new kind of game, one in which there were no missions, no objectives, and no ability to simply be respawn when killed. You had one life, and if you lost it, you lost everything.

Physically, Hall was a mess when he emerged from the jungle — he underwent emergency surgery for an intestinal blockage. But intellectually, he was energized by his visions and inspired to build a new Arma 2 modification. Amateur game mods have been popular since the 1990s, when players adapted first-person shooters like Wolfenstein 3D and Quake to create entirely new games. Mods can’t run on their own — they operate in conjunction with the underlying game — and are usually given away online by the \0xFCberfans who code them. The high-water mark came in 1999, when two gamers turned the science fiction world of Half-Life into a terrorist-versus-soldier battle zone called Counter-Strike. It was so popular, gamemaker Valve bought it in 2000 and released it as a stand-alone title, eventually selling more than 25 million units.

A savvy programmer, Hall had created lots of Arma 2 mods, adding new weapons and vehicles to the game, and even new missions. But what he had in mind now was fundamentally different. Typically, games try not to frustrate players; if your character is killed, you aren’t forced to start over from the beginning. But Hall thought this stripped gaming of emotion and drama. He wanted to reproduce what he had experienced in the jungle, something filled with agony, frustration, and fear. “I wanted it to be brutal,” he says.

In a hotel room in Singapore, Hall began coding. In his new game, players would begin with almost nothing, stranded in the middle of a barren land, forced to hunt for supplies. If they were killed, they’d lose everything and have to start over. The only mission: Survive.

“HALL WANTED TO REPRODUCE WHAT HE HAD EXPERIENCED IN THE JUNGLE: AGONY, FRUSTRATION, AND FEAR.”

Eventually he hit on the idea to replace Arma‘s terrorists with zombies, but the undead would actually be the least of a player’s concerns. Hall was designing the game as a social experiment: Every time a player logged in, they’d be pitted against other players also hunting for supplies. Players would compete for limited food, water, and weaponry, and their anxiety would make them more deadly than the brain-eaters. The gameplay re-created his feeling of isolation in the jungle, surrounded by dozens of starving strangers, any of whom might be plotting to steal his meager supplies just as he was plotting to steal theirs. Hall wanted the possibility of dying and losing everything to drive players to kill other survivors in order to steal their rations. He would call the game Day Z, a twist on D-Day.

Bohemia Interactive, the Czech company behind Arma 2, actively encourages fans to mess with its game, so there were already hundreds of Arma 2 offshoots. When Hall was building a mod, he would frequently contact a Bohemia developer named Ivan Buchta, usually with an esoteric code question. But after returning from the jungle, Hall had become bored, and this time, while working to finish Day Z in his spare time, he wrote to ask whether Bohemia was hiring. “I was impressed with the mods he’d made in the past,” Buchta says. “We needed help on Arma 3, so we agreed to bring him on.”

It wasn’t a great deal for Hall. He’d have to buy his own ticket to the Czech Republic, take a leave of absence from the New Zealand army (which allows two-year absences), and be paid less than he had been making as a lowly second lieutenant. But he took the job; he was thrilled at the prospect of being in the birthplace of his favorite game. It was like a die-hard Star Wars fan getting hired by Lucasfilm.

Still, when he arrived at Bohemia, he decided not to tell Buchta or anyone else about what he was working on. “I knew they’d think zombies were stupid,” he says. “They’re all hardcore realism military junkies, so I kind of felt embarrassed that I was making a zombie mod.” He decided just to put Day Z online. He figured a few hundred people would play and no one else would notice.

Within weeks, though, players flocked to the game. By the end of its first month, Day Z had attracted 10,000 users, and Hall decided he’d better mention it to Buchta. Sure enough, Buchta was dismissive. The company was gunning to finish its latest Arma release. He didn’t have time for zombies.

But days later Buchta loaded Day Z to check it out. The game placed him near an old warehouse. He had a baseball cap and not much else. He quickly found an old handgun with no bullets. There were zombies in the distance and the threat of other players killing him for his gun. The scenery was just like Arma 2, but everything seemed different. “I felt really naked,” he says. Most first-person shooters equip newbies with guns and enough ammo to survive a sustained firefight. Now Buchta was scrounging for bullets and counting them carefully. “I’m a professional game developer, but I was immediately scared and tense,” he says. “Games don’t usually work like that on me.”

Buchta messaged Marek Spanel, who co-owned Bohemia with his brother Ondrej, and told them to try the game. The brothers had formed the company in 1999 and spent most of their lives playing videogames together. Now they spawned into the game simultaneously and discovered that they’d been placed miles apart. They began to move toward each other, dodging zombies and other players. It took more than an hour of nail-biting evasion to rendezvous. “Walking for half an hour in a game would usually be boring. But just doing that, I felt stronger emotions than I’d ever felt in Arma,” Marek Spanel says.

To play Hall’s game, users had to buy Arma 2 for about $20. At that point, Arma 2 had been out for three years and was nearing the end of its life cycle. Arma 3 was supposed to jump-start the company’s sales, but suddenly purchases of Arma 2 started ticking up. By June, around 20,000 players were using Arma 2 to play Day Z. By early July, there were 405,000 users, and it didn’t stop there. In August more than 1 million people were playing Day Z. Arma 2 was suddenly a top-selling PC game. In the three years before Hall put Day Z online, Arma 2 had sold 1 million copies. Now it sold a million more in just a few months.

The guy who’d arrived at the company as a junior designer five months before now seemed to hold the keys to its future. Bohemia, meanwhile, had raked in millions from the boom in Arma 2 sales, and Spanel wanted to build on that success. So when Hall said he wanted to turn Day Z into a stand-alone game, Spanel offered him a promotion from junior designer to project lead, the top spot.

Hall was ecstatic. He now had a large team of people implementing his every idea. He requested a discharge from the military and started refining the Day Z world. Originally supplies appeared in the open, lying on the ground. Now those necessities were harder to find, hidden in cupboards or under beds. He also populated the game with hundreds of public domain books like War of the Worlds and Moby-Dick. Maybe players would find a quiet place to read away from the zombie apocalypse.

He had been in the Czech Republic for only a few months — he was still living out of a suitcase — but his signing bonus gave him enough money to buy a house. The problem was, he wasn’t sure where he might settle. His military discharge was pending — he could go anywhere. Plus, he was powerfully interested in collecting experiences that might inform his gameplay. In 2006 he had climbed Mount Cook, New Zealand’s highest peak, and thought that it would be interesting to explore the idea of coding a mountain-climbing game. He also felt he was capable of much more than the lowly 12,316-foot peak, so he decided to pay $100,000 to climb Mount Everest. “Dean is part crazy,” Spanel says. “In the middle of the most successful project of his life, he leaves for two months to climb Everest.”

Using a Sabre portable satellite modem he brought to Nepal, Hall approved design changes and budgets and IM’d with the coders building the game. “So here I am, at Everest Base Camp,” he posted to the Day Z development Tumblr on April 15, 2013, and then, from 17,717 feet, offered a rundown of the new features his team was coding into the game: The world would look more battered, there’d be radios for communicating with other players, and the zombies’ movements would be more, um, realistic. Though he’d arranged the mountaineering trip in a burst of enthusiasm, he tried to convince everyone otherwise. “Although the timing is poor for my sabbatical, it is not something planned on a whim and involves nonrefundable costs of up to $100K.”

On May 16 he began his summit attempt. The weather was clear, and he made good time: By 12:01 am on the 21st, he was less than four hours from the peak. The Hillary Step, a 40-foot wall of rock and ice and the last obstacle before the summit, loomed ahead. He started to move toward it when he heard a distress call from his climbing partner up above. “There’s a guy dying here,” the voice crackled over the radio. “What do I do?”

Hall ascended to the dying man’s position; it was a Bangladeshi climber from another group who had been left for dead. He was clipped into the same rope they were ascending, and he wasn’t moving. Hall’s sherpa grabbed the man’s hand. It was limp; he couldn’t tell if the man was breathing. “His position and posture symbolized absolute desperation and sadness,” Hall wrote later in a blog entry.

They were only an hour from the summit, and they debated whether to abort their climb to try to save the man. Hall’s partner was distraught — he wanted to help even if that meant abandoning the climb. Hall had no such ambivalence. “I thought I would have reacted differently, but when I looked at him, I realized that there was just nothing we could do,” Hall says. “I felt really sad, but I figured he was dead or he was about to die.” Hall persuaded his partner to keep moving, and they scrambled past the dying man. “It was a Day Z moment,” Hall says grimly. The man died, and his body was left behind, encased in snow and ice.

An hour later, Hall reached the summit. “The sight was so breathtaking it was like being slapped in the face,” he recalled on the blog. “I immediately started crying … I’ve thought a lot about how to summarize that feeling, and the best I can do is to say that if there is a God, then it’s like looking upon his face.”

Four days later he was back in Prague, funneling the experience into the haunting, morally fraught environment of the new Day Z. The game, he hopes, will force others to confront their own humanity. It comes out this fall.

Source!

brandonwh64

Dayz overwatch 0.2.4 server back up with the latest update!

205.144.212.5:2302

Changelog

Dayz Overwatch 0.2.4 is now released in download section, should be on Dayz commander shortly.

Changelog 0.2.4

Changed - Loot chance reduced for residential buildings and supermarket.
Changed - A few Public Event Handlers moved client side.
Changed - Unbanned weapons: M110 NV, L115A3 LRR & L110A1
Changed - Biplanes now have a M240 gun on them.
Changed - New Cleanup script, replacing the server_cleanup.fsm

Fixed - CfgTownGenerator
Fixed - V2 Signatures

Added - Weapons: SVDK, Bush ACR Aimpoint, Bush ACR ACOG EGLM Black, Ctar 21 Mars, Ctar 21 ACOG M203, Magp Masada Aimpoint.
Added - New Vehicles: Humvee M2, Humvee M240, MTVR, Ural CDF, Camel US, CPD_DZ & CPD_u_DZ
Added - New ammobox - containing 6.8 Stanag Rounds
Added - Flashlight, chem light, flares and NVGoggles added back in loot table.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I think the AI is messed up again. Any way to "dumb it down"?

brandonwh64

I think the AI is messed up again. Any way to "dumb it down"?

I forgot to import in my original static spawns but I will tonight. Had to pretty much redo the entire server from scratch. Finished adding in the custom AI base at altar at 4:45PM before I left work so I do not know if it works or not.

brandonwh64

New spawn triggers and markers are set for the AI. I am in TS if you want to test out

brandonwh64

If anyone wants to play tonight I found some bad ass servers for overwatch!

208.167.247.35:6666
208.167.247.35:5555
208.167.247.35:4444

Last edited: