• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First SSD

System Name Computer of Theseus
Processor Intel i9-12900KS: 50x Pcore multi @ 1.18Vcore (target 1.275V -100mv offset)
Motherboard EVGA Z690 Classified
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S, 2xThermalRight TY-143, 4xNoctua NF-A12x25,3xNF-A12x15, 2xAquacomputer Splitty9Active
Memory G-Skill Trident Z5 (32GB) DDR5-6000 C36 F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce 3060 XC Black Gaming 12GB
Storage 1x Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe (OS), 2x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (data 1 and 2), ASUS BW-16D1HT
Display(s) Dell S3220DGF 32" 2560x1440 165Hz Primary, Dell P2017H 19.5" 1600x900 Secondary, Ergotron LX arms.
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Audiotechnica ATR2100X-USB, El Gato Wave XLR Mic Preamp, ATH M50X Headphones, Behringer 302USB Mixer
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W 80+ Platinum White
Mouse Zowie EC3-C
Keyboard Vortex Multix 87 Winter TKL (Gateron G Pro Yellow)
Software Win 10 LTSC 21H2
Thanks, $15 is Nice.

I hope Amazon will honor the price or cancel the order tho, because chargeback (here in the EU) sometimes takes weeks if not months, and I just ordered three of these :>

You might not want to tell anyone else about this, or maybe just delete the post in this thread because amazon frequently will cancel orders when its widely abused.

You might not want to tell anyone else about this, or maybe just delete the post in this thread because amazon frequently will cancel orders when its widely abused.

Nah, it's already one of the top selling computer hardware on Amazon, so it would be too late by now, (and I love to share with my fellow enthusiasts anyway :p).

edit: I just talked to Amazon, and they are going to physically inspect the item in their stock and will mail back to me on this one, but the support representative assured me that it a legit and genuine Samsung 250GB SSD for sure.

Last edited:
System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Good points. However, I have not heard of recent advances in Sandforce being unreliable.

And you're not likely going to hear it from review sites that merely test short term. No matter how much you stress test an SSD, you can't really get an idea of how well it will hold up like you can torture testing a PSU. What you linked to are overall performance charts, not specifically reliability charts based on 1yr + use.

I basically look at review sites for performance and design (because the better ones tear them apart, detail all the hardware and software features, and have the means to test thoroughly), and customer feedback from those whom have owned and used them quite a bit for reliability. Between the two you get a good idea of what features they have to keep them running reasonably fast and trouble free, and whether those features work in real world performance and reliability over time. Those charts aren't going to tell you the latter.

I've come to find the uber fast SSD drives are a bit of a gamble on longevity. On something like a drive that is going to run the OS and store regularly used programs, I feel reliability is every bit as important as speed. So I feel it's best to look for a balance of the two.

Last edited by a moderator:
And you're not likely going to hear it from review sites that merely test short term. No matter how much you stress test an SSD, you can't really get an idea of how well it will hold up like you can torture testing a PSU. What you linked to are overall performance charts, not specifically reliability charts based on 1yr + use.

I basically look at review sites for performance and design (because the better ones tear them apart, detail all the hardware and software features, and have the means to test thoroughly), and customer feedback from those whom have owned and used them quite a bit for reliability. Between the two you get a good idea of what features they have to keep them running reasonably fast and trouble free, and whether those features work in real world performance and reliability over time. Those charts aren't going to tell you the latter.

I've come to find the uber fast SSD drives are a bit of a gamble on longevity. On something like a drive that is going to run the OS and store regularly used programs, I feel reliability is every bit as important as speed. So I feel it's best to look for a balance of the two.

The v300 series are good to go.

migel_7prado

Kingston is known for their compatibility and XMP profile testing in system RAM, beyond that I don't think they're really doing anything miraculous regarding SSDs. SandForce controllers may have gotten better since the high failure rate days, but they still don't seem to be as reliable as other controllers built specifically FOR reliability. SF is still used with the impress with the initial speed spec marketing angle, but even the new ones can and have failed within a year or less.

Nowadays, the sandforce's reliability is un-questionable & I can see many happy users associated with this. According to me, the performance has never dropped except for few rare cases which could have been influenced by other non-sandforce parameters. The good news is the wrong perception which was pervalent earlier on is gradually fading out!

Processor Intel 13700K
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Sorry, I go by testimonials from customers that have owned them a while, and across the board I see more complaints about the SF drives than others, even with the latter gens of the controller. Nothing that's been posted here proves any long term reliability or performance consistency in them whatsoever.

OP, just saw the Plextor M5P 128GB on Newegg's email promo deal for $100 btw. I have that drive and it's very good, and you'll see the same feedback from pretty much every customer and site that reviews it.

Chris_Ramseyer

Phison Rep
That's because controller wise, SF sold more drives. It only makes sense that you will hear about more issues from SF because more are floating around.

Just try to get one with 25nm IMFT or 19nm Toshiba / SanDisk flash. You don't really want a 20nm flash drive.

Processor Intel 13700K
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
That's because controller wise, SF sold more drives. It only makes sense that you will hear about more issues from SF because more are floating around.

I'm not talking more in general, I'm taking more complaints per number of people reviewing them. For something as critical as an OS drive, I see no sense in taking any unnecessary chances, and the Plextor drives just don't exhibit that level of complaints.

You guys buy whatever you want, but for now I'll steer clear of anything SF.