• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New here and seeking for help: problems with graphic card

Shuyin03

Processor Intel Pentium CPU G860 @ 3.00 GHz
Motherboard P8H61-M LE R2.0
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Audio Device(s) NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Hi everyone. My name is Rick. I just found this forum and I noticed there are a lot of nice people willing to help others. Kudos for that.

To start talking about my problem, there are two things that you should know about me:

1) I know close to nothing about PCs and Hardware etc.
2) If you are willing to help me, please avoid acronyms as I've no idea what they mean.

My issue is the following:

Every once in a while, while playing, my graphic card stops working for a couple of seconds. When this happens, my screen turns black and when it returns to normality, I have to close and open again the game because it turns white. On my pc, this is the message I get when this happens:

"The driver video NVIDIA Kernel Mode Driver, Version 311.06, has stopped answering and it has been correctly restored".

Few notes:

h) I've updated the drivers regurarly to the latest version avaible everytime and this STILL happens at the version 320.49
i) My graphic card is a GeForce GTS 450 on this computer
l) It does not happen in every games
m) It DOES happen (althou less frequently) even when not playing and just browsing google chrome
n) I've already trying searching with google. Haven't had any luck or/and if there is something they tried, I couldn't do it because it wasn't explained how to do it.
o) Sometimes it does not turn back to the normality and I have just to reset my pc.

Now, I've no idea what these infos are or if they are helpful but I'll list them here:

ACPI x64 based PC
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G860 @3.00GHZ
RAM 4.00 GB
64-bit

If you need to know more, please tell me where to get the info you need and I'll list here. If I need a tool to get you more infos, I'll download it and copy-paste everything you need. I'm really desperate, help me please.

EDIT: I've download also GPU-Z so if you need something from that, let me know.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
you said you updated the drivers. When you did this, did you uninstall the previous drivers, or just install the new ones over top of the old ones?

Shuyin03

you said you updated the drivers. When you did this, did you uninstall the previous drivers, or just install the new ones over top of the old ones?

Unistalled.

System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Welcome to TPU

Use an older driver that was stable while testing

Test with a spare cable from the graphic card and connect to the monitor
Test with a spare monitor and or borrow one from a friend

nb: Maybe video memory failing
Test with spare graphic card and or borrow one

atb (all the best)

Law-II

Last edited:
Step one is to fill out your system specifications under your profile. That's the minimum amount of information we generally ask for if somebody has a problem. It is a necessity given how many different hardware combinations are out there.

What your system is telling you is that the graphics driver is faulting, and killing your video signal. Because the fault is generally only minor, the automated recovery function of the drivers is kicking in, and restarting them.

If this were just gaming, I'd say that you've got some overheating issues and were pushing your graphics card too hard. Given that it is not limited to graphics intensive programs, you're likely experiencing some conflicts with older and newer components of various drivers.

The first thing you need to do is start from scratch, and isolate if it is drivers.
1) Download the latest driver package from Nvidea (http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2256/nvidia-forceware-320-49-vista-w7-64-bit/ if you're running windows 7 64 bit).
2) Go to the device manager (right click on My Computer and choose manage, or type device manager into the windows search bar). Choose Display Adapters, right click on the appropriate graphics card, and disable.
3) If this requires a restart do so.
4) Now go into the programs menu, and uninstall the Nvidea components.
5) Restart as necessary. Note that this will make your resolution go wonky, but that's a sign that the drivers have been properly removed.
6) Use the driver package you got in step 1, and reinstall. This should clear out all old components and leave only a clean install.

Run the games, and confirm whether this fixed the problem or not. If you're still getting the error the next step is to check the connections inside the computer. Shut everything down, unplug the computer from the outlet, and wait 2-3 minutes. Now crack open the case, and get ready for some cleaning. The three things you need to check are extra power cabling, the PCI-e slot interface, and the cleanliness of the cooling device. Let's look at each of these separately.
1) Recent cards require more power than the PCI-e bus can provide. Look to see if the graphics card has any large wires running to it, and confirm that they are well seated. If they aren't, seat them and reboot the system, testing if this solved the issue. If it didn't move on to cleanliness.
2) Invest in a soft rubber eraser. This is an odd thing to say, but the connection between the motherboard and the card (a PCI-e slot) sometimes starts to oxidize. The copper rust will impede signals, and cause occasional crashes. Making sure the power is off, disconnect the stuff holding you graphics card in place. This is usually a couple of screws to the case, and the slot will have some sort of locking device. Gently pull on the card, until it frees and you can hold it. Run the eraser along the copper tabs that used to be in the motherboard, making sure the gunk doesn't go back into the computer. Once this is cleaned up, move on to step 3.
3) With a freed graphics card you can inspect the cooling. Fans tend to build up dust over time. Get some compressed air, pin the fan in place so it doesn't spin, and blast that sucker. Once everything is clean, put everything back together, making sure it is installed exactly like it looked before step 2. Test again, and make sure whether this did or didn't solve the problem.

Assuming the issue isn't drivers or cleanliness, the only remaining issue is hardware. The most likely culprits are a power supply (PSU) or faulty Graphics Card (GPU). If the warranty is still valid on the GPU, I would RMA it (Return Material Authorization, return it to the manufacturer for testing and replacement if necessary). If you don't know, the cheapest solution is a new PSU, then a replacement GPU. You have to play this one by ear, unless you've got another PC to test the GPU in.

If you've got additional questions shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help wherever I can.

Shuyin03

Thanks very much lilhasselhoffer. I'll start doing what you suggested step by step.

One question thou: you suggested me to Download the latest driver package from Nvidea. However, the link you posted is for the newly released GeForce GTX 760? Am I supposed to download the drivers for that card?

Sorry for my questions. As I said, I'm not an expert at all.

Shuyin03

I don't know which OS you've got, so I recommended the latest package. It'll contain enough drivers to get you up and running. The Nvidea website is where you might want to get the specific ones you need: http://www.geforce.com/drivers

I guess OS is Operating System? In that case, I'm using Windows Vista 64-bit and the GPU is a GeForce GTS 450.

Small note: I tried to put my System Specs in my Profile but I've no idea where to get the exact infos of my specs.

EDIT: Just searched in the site. The one you gave me is exactly the same if I search under the GeForce GTS 450 category. So, I'll start my reinstall today.

EDIT2: Just finished my first step. Thou, instead of installing the most recent drivers (320.49), I've installed some older ones (310.xx). This because I remembered that when I first got this GPU (with the 310 drivers), I wasn't suffering of this problem.

EDIT3: Where can I see my PSU and Cooling specs? Can't find them anywhere.

I will let you know if with these drivers, I'll still encounter this problem.

Last edited:
System Name H2o Box
Processor Intel(R) Xeon e5-2690 v2 Stock 3.300 GHz stock
Motherboard MSI X79A-G43 Plus (MS-7760) v3
Cooling CPU EK & Phobya G-Changer 360 V2.0 RAD H2o VGA "AlphaCool M18" Hybrid [pump replaced 18/8/21]
Memory G.Skill TridentX 16Gb 11-12-12-32 2T @ 1866Mhz [locked]
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX 1080ti AMP EXTREME
Storage HyperX Fury 120GB & Savage 480GB SSD, Seagate 250GB,250GB 7200rpm Kingston 64GB SSD
Display(s) Asus TUF Gaming VG32VQR 2560*1440 165Hz VA Panel
Case Corsair O-800D
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Be Quiet! [Dark Power Pro 11] 1200W CM replaced [7-4-2017]
Mouse Zelotes T-90
Keyboard K66 Mechanical US Layout
Software Win 10 Pro 64Bit v 20H2 / OS [build 19043.1237] WFEP 120.2212.3530.0
Hi

Where can I see my PSU
Will be on one of the sides of the PSU (Power Supply Unit) [may need to power down the PC (Personal Computer) and unplug it from the wall wait a couple of minutes remove the computer cover/side panels to see this information]
Example:
PSU Example.jpg

Cooling specs
This refers to the cooling for the CPU (Central Processing Unit) this may just be a generic heat sink and fan that came with the CPU
Example:
Intel Heatsink and Fan.jpg

Note: Is there a manufacturers name and model number on the computer [this will assist other member of TPU]

atb

Law-II

Last edited:
System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
I would suggest that you run GPU-z on the "sensors" tab 'Check' the "log to file" box

note the location of the log file so you can recover it later to read & post. Then try to repeat the
"The driver video has stopped answering and it has been correctly restored".
error several times. Having done that take a look @ the log file & see if the card is overheating to the point of shutdown causing the error. Most likely 60/65c .

Shuyin03

I would suggest that you run GPU-z on the "sensors" tab 'Check' the "log to file" box

note the location of the log file so you can recover it later to read & post. Then try to repeat the
"The driver video has stopped answering and it has been correctly restored".
error several times. Having done that take a look @ the log file & see if the card is overheating to the point of shutdown causing the error. Most likely 60/65c .

I will try that. So far, today it hasn't happened at all.

Shuyin03

Just happened again. I will try to clean the PC.

Btw, I've read somewhere that it might be a voltage problem. Just putting it there in case someone might think of something else.

EDIT: This one happened when the PC was on, I was away for like 1h and when I came back it gave me the error. It wasn't doing anything, I had just one page of Chrome opened.

EDIT2: Added everything I could find to my Specs. Can't open the PC so can't tell the PSU.

Last edited: