• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which soundcard to decode DTS or Dolby Digital?

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
That's not exactly true. The PS3 doesn't support encoding of Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so it can only pass though pre-encoded soundtracks on Blu-ray discs (and only on the slim or super slim models).

That is exactly what I said.

However, all PS3 versions can output LPCM up to 7.1 for both games and Blu-ray discs.

Didn't know some PS3 games support LPCM. I would have thought PCM 5.0 by bypassing the built in DD/DTS encoder. I wonder how many games actually support LPCM.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Didn't know some PS3 games support LPCM. I would have thought PCM 5.0 by bypassing the built in DD/DTS encoder. I wonder how many games actually support LPCM.

All PS3 games have to support LPCM; it was part of the original specifications of the console. 2 channel LPCM is the minimum required, but up to 7.1 is supported. It's up to the game designers as to how many sound output channels they want to support.

There are two possible implementation of DD/DTS in games on the PS3. By default, a game designer programs their game to output just LPCM and then the PS3 system software takes that LPCM and encodes it into DD/DTS if that is the highest supported output (as chosen in the PS3 system software audio settings). But in some higher end games, the game designer can license the DD or DTS encoder software directly, implement it into game code, and tune it specifically to their game so that the best audio quality is possible within the specification. These are the games that prominently display the Dolby Digital or DTS logos in their games. Games that fit into the second case still have to support LPCM though (only two channel is required, but if multi-channel audio is already programmed into the game, it's trivial to tell the software to bypass the encoder).

I have not come across a PS3 game that supports multi-channel audio only though DD/DTS and not through LPCM. As long as you select to prefer bitstreaming (i.e. avoid decoding) in the PS3 system software, you can tell this pretty easily. With this setting, if the only surround format available is DD/DTS, the PS3 will always choose to bitstream DD/DTS over decoding it and outputting it over multi channel LPCM; the only way you could get LPCM in this mode is if it was a native soundtrack. So if the PS3 is outputting multi channel LPCM and the bitstreaming option is enabled, then you are not just decoding DD/DTS.

The XBOX 360, in contrast, does not support greater than 2 channel LPCM for games, so it has to output Dolby Digital via HDMI for multi-channel audio (DTS encoding is not supported). It's still up to the game designer whether they just want to use Microsoft's built in implementation of the DD encoder or to pay to license it directly and get better control over the encoding parameters.

This is, for the few console games I do play, one of the reasons I choose the PS3 versions of games.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
All PS3 games have to support LPCM; it was part of the original specifications of the console. 2 channel LPCM is the minimum required, but up to 7.1 is supported. It's up to the game designers as to how many sound output channels they want to support.

DD and DTS are also part of the specification. Realistically how many games support LPCM 7.1? Personally I'm not a fan of it, requires too much room space for little support. I think game developers know this and cater for DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. I think game developers are lazy so 90% of the time they'll have 5 uncompressed audio channels to fulfil the LPCM obligation and use built in DD/DTS encoder to fill the DD and DTS obligations.

Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Case NZXT Source 530
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Personally I'm not a fan of it, requires too much room space for little support. I think game developers know this and cater for DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1. I think game developers are lazy so 90% of the time they'll have 5 uncompressed audio channels to fulfil the LPCM obligation and use built in DD/DTS encoder to fill the DD and DTS obligations.

The one thing you're forgetting is that Sony has Blu-ray disc in the PS3. On the X360 developers are looking to cut corners to fit games on a minimum number of DVDs, and the sound quality can suffer for that. When you have a multiplatform game designed to fit on DVDs and find yourself with extra space on a Blu-ray disc, one of the easiest ways to use this space is to put less compressed sound files on the disc. Lossless audio isn't likely to be used, but 256/320kbps MP3 samples mixed onto LPCM would sound much better than Dolby Digital.

System Name Blackwidow/
Processor Ryzen 5950x / Threadripper 3960x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair viii impact/ Asus Zenith ii Extreme
Cooling Ek 240Aio/Custom watercooling
Memory 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ Crucial Ballistix / 32gb ddr4 3600MHZ G.Skill TridentZ Royal
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6900xt/ XFX 6800xt
Storage WD SN850 1TB boot / Samsung 970 evo+ 1tb boot, 6tb WD SN750
Display(s) Sony A80J / Dual LG 27gl850
Case Cooler Master NR200P/ 011 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) On board/ Soundblaster ZXR
Power Supply Corsair SF750w/ Seasonic Prime Titanium 1000w
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate wireless/ Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL/ Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Win 10 Pro
That's not exactly true. The PS3 doesn't support encoding of Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so it can only pass though pre-encoded soundtracks on Blu-ray discs (and only on the slim or super slim models). However, all PS3 versions can output LPCM up to 7.1 for both games and Blu-ray discs.

Last I remember the first gen(40&60) ps3 do it was the slimline and the other subsequent models that don't.

To the OP, have you also checked out AVForums?

There are two possible implementation of DD/DTS in games on the PS3. By default, a game designer programs their game to output just LPCM and then the PS3 system software takes that LPCM and encodes it into DD/DTS if that is the highest supported output (as chosen in the PS3 system software audio settings). But in some higher end games, the game designer can license the DD or DTS encoder software directly, implement it into game code, and tune it specifically to their game so that the best audio quality is possible within the specification. These are the games that prominently display the Dolby Digital or DTS logos in their games. Games that fit into the second case still have to support LPCM though (only two channel is required, but if multi-channel audio is already programmed into the game, it's trivial to tell the software to bypass the encoder).

I have not come across a PS3 game that supports multi-channel audio only though DD/DTS and not through LPCM. As long as you select to prefer bitstreaming (i.e. avoid decoding) in the PS3 system software, you can tell this pretty easily. With this setting, if the only surround format available is DD/DTS, the PS3 will always choose to bitstream DD/DTS over decoding it and outputting it over multi channel LPCM; the only way you could get LPCM in this mode is if it was a native soundtrack. So if the PS3 is outputting multi channel LPCM and the bitstreaming option is enabled, then you are not just decoding DD/DTS.

The XBOX 360, in contrast, does not support greater than 2 channel LPCM for games, so it has to output Dolby Digital via HDMI for multi-channel audio (DTS encoding is not supported). It's still up to the game designer whether they just want to use Microsoft's built in implementation of the DD encoder or to pay to license it directly and get better control over the encoding parameters.

This is, for the few console games I do play, one of the reasons I choose the PS3 versions of games.

I think GOW3 for the ps3 do...don't quote me though.

Case NZXT Source 530
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Last I remember the first gen(40&60) ps3 do it was the slimline and the other subsequent models that don't.

The first generation "fat" PS3s removed a lot of features during their lifetime, but none of them supported bitstreaming DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD; they can still decode it to LPCM though. Only the "slim" and "superslim" PS3s can bitstream those two formats. Maybe you're thinking of SACD support, which was present in the initial models but not the later ones?