• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking cpu on Gigabyte ga-b75m-g3h

I've read a whole bunch about how the b75m's don't really support CPU overclocking. I've gotten my i5 3570k (stock cooled) running smoothly at 3,8GHz, but I'd love to get it a bit higher to increase my performance in newer games such as the oncoming BF4. I realise that I'll eventually have to replace the CPU cooler to a more high-end one, but other than that, are there any risks to the other components?

Thanks in advance!

best regards
Belzer

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
I'm not familiar with that board in particular, but the issue with many motherboards not meant for overclocking is that the VRMs on the motherboard that supply and regulate voltage to the CPU may give out and burn stuff up. It'll help if you can keep them fairly cool. Just raising the frequency shouldn't put too much extra strain on them, but it's something you'll want to keep an eye on if you raise voltage much at all. If they don't have heatsinks on them already, you might see if you can stick something (generic little RAM heatsinks with the double-stick tape might not be a bad option) on them and/or position a fan over them. It's normal for them to be quite hot to the touch, so it may be hard to judge if your motherboard doesn't have a temperature probe near them.

I'd recommend looking up what wattage of processor is supported by your board and comparing that against the CPU section of power supply calculator such as this one. You should have a little headroom over what it's rated for, but this is seriously at your own risk.
Edit: Looks like you've gone from 77w stock to 86w assuming you haven't changed voltage (or your mobo hasn't changed it automatically).

Also, welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that board in particular, but the issue with many motherboards not meant for overclocking is that the VRMs on the motherboard that supply and regulate voltage to the CPU may give out and burn stuff up. It'll help if you can keep them fairly cool. Just raising the frequency shouldn't put too much extra strain on them, but it's something you'll want to keep an eye on if you raise voltage much at all. If they don't have heatsinks on them already, you might see if you can stick something (generic little RAM heatsinks with the double-stick tape might not be a bad option) on them and/or position a fan over them. It's normal for them to be quite hot to the touch, so it may be hard to judge if your motherboard doesn't have a temperature probe near them.

I'd recommend looking up what wattage of processor is supported by your board and comparing that against the CPU section of power supply calculator such as this one. You should have a little headroom over what it's rated for, but this is seriously at your own risk.
Edit: Looks like you've gone from 77w stock to 86w assuming you haven't changed voltage (or your mobo hasn't changed it automatically).

Also, welcome to the forums!

Thanks for a very thorough answer! Turns out, my girlfriend needs a new mobo as well, so figured the easiest option would be to spend some money on a new one so that she can have my current one. Found the Gigabyte G1 sniper M3 on a great cut, will it do for overclocking my i5 3570k to an estimated 4,3-4,4?

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Thanks for a very thorough answer! Turns out, my girlfriend needs a new mobo as well, so figured the easiest option would be to spend some money on a new one so that she can have my current one. Found the Gigabyte G1 sniper M3 on a great cut, will it do for overclocking my i5 3570k to an estimated 4,3-4,4?

Assuming you didnt get a overclocking turd of a cpu you can get to 4.3 quite easily on most boards.