• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

VBE7 - vBIOS Editor for Radeon HD 7000 series cards

What's the purpose (and tangible effects) of adjusting the "TDP (W)" value?

I understand the TDP setting as a percentage -- allowing the card to drive itself harder/hotter before downclocking -- but what's setting TDP as a (W) do vs. as a percentage?

charly77

I flashed it with 20% higher tdp but same result, the core still fluctuate, if I set +20% in msi ab it's fine.
Another flash with 20% more tdp and same result, even set it to 300 tdp and still the same result :( not working

What's the purpose (and tangible effects) of adjusting the "TDP (W)" value?

I understand the TDP setting as a percentage -- allowing the card to drive itself harder/hotter before downclocking -- but what's setting TDP as a (W) do vs. as a percentage?
0% on the slider is halfway between upper and lower 3D clock power limits. So if a card has 150W min 300W max TDP, and a PowerTune limit of 50%, then 0% would be 225W. Because it's halfway between 150 and 300. I said 50% limit because my math sucks and it's easier than trying to calculate 20% hiher and lower.

I flashed it with 20% higher tdp but same result, the core still fluctuate, if I set +20% in msi ab it's fine.
Another flash with 20% more tdp and same result, even set it to 300 tdp and still the same result :( not working
What's wrong with using Afterburner?

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
PowerTune only affects 3D clocks so the slider will always be sitting at 0% when Windows boots up.

And yeah, increasing the min and max TDP parameters should stop the card from throttling even if slider is at 0%.

cheers for the app op, and cheers for this pill monster ive got a fair bit more free stable performance for nowt here:toast:

charly77

0% on the slider is halfway between upper and lower 3D clock power limits. So if a card has 150W min 300W max TDP, and a PowerTune limit of 50%, then 0% would be 225W. Because it's halfway between 150 and 300. I said 50% limit because my math sucks and it's easier than trying to calculate 20% hiher and lower.

What's wrong with using Afterburner?

Like I said before, I save a profile with +20% but the profile is not constant, sometimes it is using 0%. So I now have to check everytime when I startup my pc if its at 20%.
Just want to avoid that..

What's a tentative "max" limit for the memory clock? For example, it seems that, on average, 1200 is the rough "max" that most people stay under for the core clock -- what would the rough equivalent be for the memory clock?

I know it's said that increasing the memory clock doesn't bring returns like core clock. But I seem to get more and more FPS as I push the memory clock up... All the way to 1675 (1700 is unstable).

Am I actually seeing performance benefits from driving the memory up there, or is something else happening behind the scenes? I worry when I see most other people setting their memory clocks so far below what I am. It makes me think I must be in the wrong :)

vidlak

@darkhmz (and others):

darkhmz: 1st HUGE thank you for creating, sharing and supporting this wonderful tool. I haven't thought it was possible to make with AMD HD 7000 (and later) series for some reason.

Now for some Q's:

Any chance to add 2D mode voltage changing? I have it @ 825mV currently, but would like to change it to 800mV (or lower if possible) permanently. I can do it via software only currently (like with ASUS GPU Tweak). Why is it not possible it change currently (what is the limitation)?

also, I have Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB and my VRM is listed as unknown (but I can change VDDC in steps). Default value for VDDC in 3D mode is 1210mV and I can set it to 1225mV maximum (with software like Afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak etc), but I can't lower it below 1210mV (ie. undervolting) via said software. It just stays @ 1210 no matter what. Is my VGA BIOS voltage-locked, and would modding my VBIOS (with lower VDDC) and reflashing the card help getting lower voltage for undervolting purposes?

I have flashing problem also: when I try to flash my card with ATIWinflash, I get "ROM not erased" error, and old (unmodded) VBIOS gets unchanged. Any way to get around this error? I'm using latest ATIWinflash found here:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/BIOS_Flashing/ATI/

Should I try to use Atiflash in DOS mode, or will I get identical error there most likely as well?

Any links to guides how to create bootable CD with DOS environment and ATIflash and .rom file? Don't have USB pendrive at hand right now :(.

guys, how do you flash your HD 7000 cards: which program, program version, and exact command line? Do you get the error like above?

@HD7850 owners: any success (or not) stories flashing your cards with VBIOSes modded by VBE7? Any improvement (in o/c etc), side issues etc?

Last Q: is 1225mV max possible limit on my card? Is anything higher not possible?

Here's a link to my exact VBIOS image:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/129257/Sapphire.HD7850.2048.120817.rom

Could you look into it, please?

Last edited:
Any chance to add 2D mode voltage changing? I have it @ 825mV currently, but would like to change it to 800mV (or lower if possible) permanently. I can do it via software only currently (like with ASUS GPU Tweak). Why is it not possible it change currently (what is the limitation)?
When i tried 0.800 on my card i got an instant crash. I dont think its possible to lower idle voltage very much anyway.

also, I have Sapphire Radeon 7850 2GB and my VRM is listed as unknown (but I can change VDDC in steps). Default value for VDDC in 3D mode is 1210mV and I can set it to 1225mV maximum (with software like Afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak etc), but I can't lower it below 1210mV (ie. undervolting) via said software. It just stays @ 1210 no matter what. Is my VGA BIOS voltage-locked, and would modding my VBIOS (with lower VDDC) and reflashing the card help getting lower voltage for undervolting purposes
It means your VRM is unknown. In that case VBE7 uses predetermined steps when setting the voltage. Only way you could get full voltage control is if darkmzh adds your voltage controller to the list of supported controllers.

guys, how do you flash your HD 7000 cards: which program, program version, and exact command line? Do you get the error like above?
I use ATIFlash. I dont trust flashing in windows. Too many things that can go wrong.
atiflash -ai 0
atiflash -t 0
atiflash -unlockrom 0
atiflash -f -p 0 mod.rom
atiflash -reboot

Only the last two lines are really nessesary. First three are just in case. And if im not mistaken -f paramater may no longer be nessesary as VBE7 now saves the vBIOS with correct checksum removing the need to force flash vBIOS (modded) with incorrect checksum.

vidlak

> atiflash -unlockrom 0

what does this command do? could it help with my 'rom not erased' error message in winatiflash? Which atiflash version do you use?

I don't know which voltage controller my card has. I'd have to take whole cooler off, and I'm not very experienced in that. It's Sapphire Radeon HD7850 2GB 860/1200MHz (not the o/c version), with product number: 11200-07-20g, and this exact original bios rom:

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/129257/Sapphire.HD7850.2048.120817.rom

which voltage regulator model do Sapphire HD7850 cards typically have? Anyone knows?

Kasmeri

Thank you darkhmz!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is by far the greatest tool ever in graphics cards!

It allowed me to turn my two Sapphire 7970s (blue PCB) that required forcing constant voltage via Trixx to raise voltage stably, into normal cards that overclock extremely well. Being able now to set OC voltage and clocks as defaults in the BIOS is just brilliant!!!

That also allows me to keep ULPS enabled if I want to - only problem with that in my system is the occasional 99% utilization bug, something which at some point will be sorted out. Everything else is fine, and having only one card operating @0.945v at idle while the other shuts off makes for a completely silent pc when surfing etc.

So no need to disable ULPS to raise voltage via software, no need to also force constant voltage to raise voltage stably (with those cards), no need to raise clocks via software, and thus NO NEED TO USE ANY SOTWARE OCing PROGRAM, including Catalyst!!!!!

Someone mentioned earlier that this is how OCing is meant to be done, through the BIOS to keep any future software changes (updating drivers etc) irrelevant to the OC. I couldn't agree more, and now it's possible!

I used atiflash to save my original BIOS and then flash the modded ones. I strongly advise anyone interested in trying this tool out to not save or flash in Windows. Take the extra minute to create the bootable usb flash disk and keep your peace of mind.

My 24/7 settings: 1180-6000/1.256v, TDP=250

Original BIOS settings: 925-5500/1.175v, TDP=217

Last edited:
> atiflash -unlockrom 0

what does this command do? could it help with my 'rom not erased' error message in winatiflash?
Unlocks the ROM if locked. It should not be by default.
Rather old guide: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57750
Screens from my flash:

Which atiflash version do you use?
4.07:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2230/atiflash-4-07/

which voltage regulator model do Sapphire HD7850 cards typically have? Anyone knows?
I was unable to find out. Most reviews do not strip the card of the cooler. Usually only TPU does (read w1zzard) and he has not reviewed this model. I did find OC model stripped but the image was too low res to make sense of the VC onboard.

vidlak

"Unlocks the ROM if locked. It should not be by default."

by locked you mean, can't br erased/is write protected?

what are other general precautions/steps involved when flashing HD7xxx in DOS with atiflash? I've heard I should uninstall AMD GPU drivers in Windows first? Why so, and is it needed/necessary? Anything else?

by locked you mean, can't br erased/is write protected?
what are other general precautions/steps involved when flashing HD7xxx in DOS with atiflash? I've heard I should uninstall AMD GPU drivers in Windows first? Why so, and is it needed/necessary? Anything else?
bs, just flash the bios with winflash and restart
Some GfxCard's are write protected, my old 6950HD "was". If you cant flash after the -unlockrom command than your card is write protected, to bypass this you will need to solder 2Pin's on the Bioschip. Just solder GND-Pin and Write-Protect-Pin with a small isolated wire. (Pin assignment my var from chip to chip)

I flashed the [URL="http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/145837/asus-r9280x-3072-130828.html]R9 280X (ASUS DC II TOP) [/URL] bios to my 7950 (HD7950-DC2T-3GD5-V2). The memory chip of my 7950 is similar to the 280X, I just needed to reduce the mem clock from 1k6 -> 1k5 or else my card would freeze in 3D mode. The different mem timing are bit noticeable. Shader count is still the same.

Last edited:
Two questions:

1.) Theoretically, could you obtain a higher overclock by overclocking through editing your card's BIOS over software overclocking via Afterburner?

2.) Does it matter which manufacturer's BIOS you use for your card? If I have a Sapphire 7950 Dual-X, and I want to get rid of the Boost-stupid'ness, would it be better for me to find a different BIOS from Sapphire? Or are there BIOS' from other manufacturers that would be even better to use (like reaching a higher overclock)?

All I care about is getting the highest, most stable overclock. I'm not worried about staying super-low with voltage.

^
1) not sure, i managed to oc my 7950 to 1,2GHz @1,28V or 1,3V(cant remember anymore) stable in AB. The fan noise gets annoying at this point and not to mention the power draw, my Wattmeter went rocket high. Flashing the new clocks on the card is IMO just more comfortable

2) yes, if the boards are reference boards. compere the GPU Device ID's and memory chip, i most cases is should work

im running a modified r9 280x bios on my 7950

System Name Trixeon
Processor Xeon E3-1230-V2
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Coolmaster EVO
Memory Gskill 2133 8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9-290 Tri-x o/c bios 1000/6000MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD, 3TB HDD, 1TB HDD
Display(s) 3x 22" 1050 monitors 16:10
Case Xigmatec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Xigmatec 800W centurio
Software Win7 64bit
Two questions:

1.) Theoretically, could you obtain a higher overclock by overclocking through editing your card's BIOS over software overclocking via Afterburner?

2.) Does it matter which manufacturer's BIOS you use for your card? If I have a Sapphire 7950 Dual-X, and I want to get rid of the Boost-stupid'ness, would it be better for me to find a different BIOS from Sapphire? Or are there BIOS' from other manufacturers that would be even better to use (like reaching a higher overclock)?

All I care about is getting the highest, most stable overclock. I'm not worried about staying super-low with voltage.

1) the overclock should be the same using BIOS or AB. You are doing the same thing.

2) It's easier and probably less risky to extract your current BIOS with GPU-z, edit it with VBE and reflash. Finding a BIOS from elsewhere risks it being incompatible.

I've edited my BIOS's dozens of times, but no way would I try to flash with one I found on the net.

To remove the boost function, just change the bottom 2 performance states (#6 and #0) in VBE to be the same.

You'll also find that a boost 7950 for example, uses 1.25v to boost to 925MHz. Generally this is ridiculous because typically you can achieve 1GHz at just 1.1v. Play around in AB first, but ensure you watch the GPU-z sensors as not all o/c s/w actually changes the voltage! Use GPU-z to ensure it is changing. When happy, change and flash the BIOS, done.

I typically use around 1030MHz core, 6500MHz mem at 1.1v. 1150MHz core on a 7950 will match a GHz 7970 or R9-280x.

System Name Trixeon
Processor Xeon E3-1230-V2
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Coolmaster EVO
Memory Gskill 2133 8GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire R9-290 Tri-x o/c bios 1000/6000MHz
Storage 128GB SSD, 256GB SSD, 3TB HDD, 1TB HDD
Display(s) 3x 22" 1050 monitors 16:10
Case Xigmatec
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Xigmatec 800W centurio
Software Win7 64bit
So in my case I should change the tdp from 250 to 300 and after flash I don't have to set msi ab to+20% anymore ?

@phill
But then I also have to set it "everytime" if for example I uninstall ccc/drivers.
I made a profile with +20% powerlimit with every startup, but is somehow bugged sometimes it is ok and sometime it is set to 0%.

That's correct. I found I had to significantly increase the TDP when o/c to 1200MHz @ 1.3v when benchmarking as it was throttling. I wouldn't recommend long term at 1.3v though. 1.1v-1.15v seems good for reasonable o/c/temps/noise.

ntrader

Hi. How about to make possible changing memory timings?
For example - this function is realized in Nibitor for Nvidia, or in RaBit (for old Radeon Cards)

Last edited:
Hi. How about to make possible changing memory timings?
For example - this function it is realized in Nibitor for Nvidia.

http://img.techpowerup.org/071111/nibitor better timings.jpg

I'm curious about this, as well -- I've read that the benefit of using another card's BIOS, like a 7970 BIOS on a 7950 -- is that you get access to tighter memory timings, thereby leading to improved FPS and performance.

Any merit or truth to this?

charly77

That's correct. I found I had to significantly increase the TDP when o/c to 1200MHz @ 1.3v when benchmarking as it was throttling. I wouldn't recommend long term at 1.3v though. 1.1v-1.15v seems good for reasonable o/c/temps/noise.
I've flash it with 300tdp but still throttling, maybe it is because I use crossfire and turned off ulps? I'm still using msi ab for the +20% powerlimit.