• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Black Holes

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
Dark matter is not black holes: Black holes are gravity lenses that bend light. Astronomers do not see enough lensing events to account for the amount of dark matter that must exist. That's what i've read, and If I understand your post correctly, Primordial black holes have weaker lensing? so they are just black holes after all?

That "warp drive" stuff is fishy. Even if that happens it seems that Alcubierre warp drive will annihilate the black hole and it shall not pass like Gandalf says. However others say that 'warp drive' concept is promising than ever before. Read here.

I really hope to be alive when we perfect the warp drive tech and use it for propulsion on manned or unmanned space travel like we use rockets today, I wish China and India would hasten up the development of Space Exploration Technologies to kickstart a new Space Race (it can provoke US and Russia to increase their budgets)

Current estimates says that we can get to this kind of tech in 100 to 1000 years, It could be way earlier though

On Oct. 9, 1903, the New York Times wrote:
“The flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continuous efforts of mathematicians and mechanics in from one million to ten million years.”

Dark matter is not black holes: Black holes are gravity lenses that bend light. Astronomers do not see enough lensing events to account for the amount of dark matter that must exist. That's what i've read, and If I understand your post correctly, Primordial black holes have weaker lensing? so they are just black holes after all?
Black holes bend light's path and create rings and multiple false images of a single object. The article in my OP is just an alternative theory (alternative to the LSP). Neither LSP nor primordial atomic size black holes were ever found, it's just a theory.

Gravitational lensing proved right many times and you're right gravitational lensing of dark matter alone is not well studied/understood yet.

I really hope to be alive when we perfect the warp drive tech and use it for propulsion on manned or unmanned space travel like we use rockets today, I wish China and India would hasten up the development of Space Exploration Technologies to kickstart a new Space Race (it can provoke US and Russia to increase their budgets)

Current estimates says that we can get to this kind of tech in 100 to 1000 years, It could be way earlier though

On Oct. 9, 1903, the New York Times wrote:
“The flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continuous efforts of mathematicians and mechanics in from one million to ten million years.”

I don't know what to say about that warp drive I'm more into wormholes, they're more fascinating. If humankind spent more money on science instead of wasting it on military and surveillance crap this world would've been a better place.

Last edited:
New Zinger Space Image of 3C353 From Chandra's X-Ray Archives

In the center of this image is a galaxy powered by a supermassive black hole, which is transmitting energy across the expanse. Radiation is visible in X-rays from Chandra (purple) and radio from the Very Large Array (orange.)

This image shows a giant jet of particles that has been shot out from the vicinity of supermassive black hole (quasar) called 3C273. The jet is enormous, stretching across more than 100000 ly of space - a size comparable to our own Milky Way galaxy.

A kaleidoscope of colors represents the jet's assorted light waves. X-rays, detected by Chandra, are the highest-energy light in the image are seen at far left in blue (the black hole itself is well to the left of the image). Moving from left to right, the light diminishes in energy, and wavelengths increase in size.

Another black hole discovered!

A team of researchers discovered the first examples of black holes in globular star clusters in our own galaxy, upsetting 40 years of theories against their possible existence.

Globular star clusters are large groupings of stars thought to contain some of the oldest stars in the universe. The stars can collide with one another in that environment. The old theory believed that the interaction of stars was thought to kick out any black holes that formed. They would interact with each other and slingshot black holes out of the cluster until they were all gone. While the theory may still be displaced, it might still be somewhat true. Black holes might still get kicked out of globular star clusters, but at a much slower rate than initially believed.

Fascinating!

Radio image (left) and x-ray image (right). The yellow circle shows the black hole found in the M62 star cluster (which is 23000 ly away from Earth) in our Galaxy. The red circle denotes a neutron star close by.

Amazing discovery:

Heavy atoms help give black hole jets their power

A team of scientists has evidence that the jets of an ordinary black hole – known as 4U1630-47 – contain heavy particles, such as iron and nickel. It helps explain why black hole jets are so powerful. They are powerful enough to recycle matter and energy into space and can affect when and where a galaxy forms stars.

The discovery also suggests that jets are powered by the black hole’s accretion disk – a belt of hot gas swirling around the black hole – and not by the spin of the black hole itself, which would be more likely to produce jets containing only light particles, these scientists said.

Here's a diagram

And more:

An iron atom is about 100,000 times more massive than an electron. When a massive particle is moving it carries more energy than a lighter particle moving at the same speed.

Gamma rays and neutrinos should be generated when black holes’ fast-moving jets, containing heavy particles, smash into matter in space.

Researchers have ruled out a range of primordial black holes as dark matter, but have not ruled them out completely.

Until now, researchers had eliminated the chances that black holes that are approximately the mass of the moon could make up dark matter. Kepler's data show no evidence of black holes between 5 and 80% of the moon's mass, suggesting these black holes could not constitute most dark matter.

However, even smaller primordial black holes, ones less than 0.0001% the mass of Earth's moon, could still make up the entirety of dark matter.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit

I think most scientists ruled out Black Holes long ago. If we had so much matter in black holes than is needed to account for Dark Matter, we'd be able to see the gravitational effects through lensing, or the radiation if stuff is falling in (which has to happen at some point, somewhere, with so many BHs around it should be a uniform radiation).

Anyone know if there are any solid theories for what happens if DM falls into BHs ? It should be able to, right? Because it interacts with gravity.

Anyone know if there are any solid theories for what happens if DM falls into BHs ?

Same what happens to normal matter. BH doesn't give a damn if it's normal or dark matter. Once it crossed the event horizon it's gone.

Amazing news!

Astronomers have found strong evidence Sgr A* (supermassive black hole at the center of the Milky Way) is producing a jet of high-energy particles. The jet appears to be running into gas near Sgr A*, producing X-rays detected by Chandra and radio emission observed by the VLA.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
You know, uranium and most other extremely dense metals naturally give off x-rays (Henri Becquerel discovered this). Sagittarius A* is undeniably very dense. It stands to reason that it would have x-ray emissions regardless if it is or isn't a black hole.

Black holes still don't explain how spiral galaxies can work. Dark matter has to be involved in that phenomena.

Last edited:
lmao you really think that there are gazillions of tons of uranium there? Sgr A* emits every kind of radiation including radio waves, it's definitely a supermassive black hole.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
No, I did the math and uranium isn't dense enough. I don't remember the number I came up with but it really isn't that much denser than uranium. I think it was closer to an atomic weight of 300'ish.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
How to kill a black hole, err, sorta, not quite, hypoothetically.
Be afraid of the dark. Black holes, the insatiable monsters of the universe, are impossible to kill with any of the weapons in our grasp. The only thing that can hasten a black hole's demise is a cable made of cosmic strings, a hypothetical material predicted by string theory.

Read the rest at New Scientist

The black hole in galaxy cluster RX J1532.9+3021 keeps all gas for itself and stops trillions of stars from coming to be. You can see data above from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory (purple) and the Hubble Space Telescope (yellow). The drama is taking place ~ 3.9 billion ly from Earth.

Supersonic jets blasting from the black hole shove the gas in the area away, forming cavities on either side of the galaxy. These cavities, by the way, are immense - at 100000 ly across each, this makes them about as wide as Milky Way.

Perhaps the black hole is “ultramassive” (10 billion times of the sun) and has ample mass to shoot out those jets without eating itself up and producing radiation. Or, the black hole could be smaller (a billion times that of the sun) but spinning quickly, which would allow it to send out those jets.

Whatever that selfish stuff is, it looks so cool.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I can't get over the scale that these things happen over. It really is mind boggling.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
Perhaps the black hole is “ultramassive” (10 billion times of the sun) and has ample mass to shoot out those jets without eating itself up and producing radiation.
Jets are not from inside the event horizon of the black hole. They are from matter falling into the black hole, so they do not reduce its energy/matter.

Astronomers see huge clouds of gas orbiting supermassive black holes at the centers of galaxies. Once thought to be a relatively uniform, fog-like ring, the accreting matter instead forms clumps dense enough to intermittently dim the intense radiation blazing forth as these enormous objects condense and consume matter.

Conceptual computer animation.

Looks pretty cool

New black hole!

Team of Australian and American astronomers have been studying nearby galaxy M83 and have found a new superpowered small black hole, named MQ1

MQ1 is a stellar mass black hole and was likely formed when a star died, collapsing to leave behind a compact mass. It's classed as a microquasar - a black hole surrounded by a bubble of hot gas, which is heated by two jets just outside the black hole, powerfully shooting out energy in opposite directions, acting like cosmic sandblasters pushing out on the surrounding gas.

That's really cool. It ain't big but so powerful! As a comparison, the most powerful microquasar in our galaxy, known as SS433, is about 10 times less powerful than MQ1!

Although the black hole in MQ1 is only about 100 km wide, the MQ1 structure - as identified by the Hubble Space Telescope - is much bigger than our Solar System, as the jets around it extend ~ 20 ly from either side of the black hole.

The spin rate of a supermassive black hole has been measured for the first time

X-ray observations of quasar RX J1131-1231 (located six billion ly away from Earth) show it's whizzing around at almost half the speed of light!!!

“We estimate that the X-rays are coming from a region in the disk located only about three times the radius of the event horizon - the point of no return for infalling matter,” stated Jon Miller, an associate professor of astronomy at the University of Michigan and a co-author on the paper. “The black hole must be spinning extremely rapidly to allow a disk to survive at such a small radius.”

System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.
I was about to post that article. It is amazing how fast it is spinning.

System Name WorstEVER
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
Memory G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Sniper, DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.35V
Video Card(s) 7970 Matrix Platinum
Storage Samsung 840EVO / Samsung F1
Display(s) Crossover Blacktune 2763 AMG "PP"
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 Gold
Software Win7 x64 ultimate
Benchmark Scores over 9000

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Finally, some physics make sense when looking at the black hole problem. The classic definition of them...it doesn't pass the logical test. "Apparent horizon" does.

I still contest that black holes cannot form from dying stars. I suspect they formed not long after the "big bang" itself. Without black holes, how do the gases coalesce to form stars and stars eventually aid the formation of planets? The gases would likely spread out to become as distant as galaxies are today. As such, I believe black holes aren't "star stuff," they're "big bang" stuff. Physicists can theorize all they want about black holes but I think, when we actually get the chance to poke and prod one, we'll have to throw out virtually everything we know about them. I think they're altogether alien and no experiments performed on Earth are going to explain their nature.

We have a pretty good grasp of atoms and radiation yet, quantum mechanics baffle and confuse. What if black holes are the opposite of quantum mechanics--what if they are made of the stuff that exceeds mass and radiation? What if they are the product of everything in the universe compressed into a small space? Would it be mass, radiation, or governed by quantum mechanics or would it be something entirely different? What we need to find out is what happens when two galactic cores (black holes) merge--or do they? Maybe they're solid bodies and they form a non-spherical object. That may also explain why galaxies can take on different shapes than your typical "spiral" galaxy.

In a lot of ways, I don't think theoretical physicists are asking the right questions about black holes.

Still, I think Hawking is on to something here. Black holes could be the furnace heavy metals are forged in.

Last edited:
This is old news but fascinating nevertheless

Using radio telescope, astronomers have produced one of the best images ever made at the lowest frequencies of giant bubbles produced by a supermassive black hole. The observations were performed at frequencies ranging from 20 to 160 MHz which are normally used for communications by airplane pilots. The picture shows what looks like a giant balloon filled with radio emitting plasma, which exceeds the size of an entire galaxy.

Some black holes actively accrete matter. Part of this material does not fall into the black hole but is ejected in a narrow stream of particles, traveling at nearly the speed of light. When the stream slows down, it creates a tenuous balloon that can engulf the entire galaxy. Invisible to optical telescopes, the bubble is very prominent at low radio frequencies.

The result is of great importance. It provides compelling evidence of the close ties between black hole, host galaxy, and their surroundings. Like symbiotic species a galaxy and its central black hole lead intimately connected lives, the galaxy providing matter to feed the black hole, and the black hole returning energy to the galaxy.

The image was made during the test-phase of LOFAR, and targeted the giant elliptical galaxy M87, at the center of a galaxy cluster in the constellation of Virgo. This galaxy is 2000 times more massive than Milky Way and hosts in its center one of the most massive black holes discovered so far, with a mass 6 billion times that of our Sun. Every few minutes this black hole swallows an amount of matter similar to that of the whole Earth, converting part of it into radiation and a larger part into powerful jets of ultra-fast particles, which are responsible for the observed radio emission.

What is particularly fascinating is that the results also provide clues on the violent matter-to-energy conversion that occurs very close to the black hole. In this case the black hole is particularly efficient in accelerating the jet, and much less effective in producing visible emission.

kwangso123

What if...there's a paradise on blackhole...where physics law doesn't need to apply :p