• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Strange A/V problem...

Rookie

Hey.

I've just experienced a rather odd problem. Whilst playing Half-Life 2 (this was almost directly after a level change) the ingame sound suddenly became horribly corrupted - static, fluctuation, the works. I figured it might be a problem with my audio drivers or something, so I closed HL2 and quit back to the desktop. Now I start to get worried - the desktop is flickering in a very odd manner. Not artifacting, just flickering, kind of like a bad signal on a TV. At this point I did a hard reboot and it seems to be back to normal. The only hardware change I've made recently is the installation of a new X1950GT, and it hasn't done this on any game before. I took some GPU readings after I quit, and they read at around 40 degrees C, which doesn't seem too bad. I don't overclock (CPU or GPU), and I have plenty of case cooling. Any ideas what might be up?

Specs:

• AMD Athlon64 3700+ @2.2GHz
  • 1gb OCZ Gold
  • ASUS A8S-X
  • Sapphire Radeon X1950GT 256mb
  • SoundMax AC'97 Audio
  • 2x 160gb HDDs (One Maxtor, one Seagate)
  • 1x 36gb WD Raptor
  • Samsung LightScribe DVD+/-RW
  • Enermax NoiseTaker 480w PSU
  • 19" Daewoo WS TFT @ 1440x900
  • CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Case

Cheers.

ex_reven

I doubt that you would experience a audio and visual problem at the same time. It seems unlikely. My first guess would be ram, and are you using enough?

If your running HL2 on max settings, chances are your ram is maxing out. Ive had HL2 run into heaps of memory problems on 1GB, but nothing like yours.
It would definately explain the audio though...

Zalmann

System Name HP Pavilion dv6
Processor Intel Core i7-2630QM
Memory 8GB (2 x GEIL 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM C9 1333MHz)
Video Card(s) ATI Mobility Radeon HD6570
Storage 750Gb WD 2.5" WD Scorpio Black
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Also do a general check for malware (virus/spyware) just in case. Doesn't hurt.

ex_reven

Also do a general check for malware (virus/spyware) just in case. Doesn't hurt.

aka run spybot, adaware, hijackthis, ccleaner, antivirus scan and whatever other tools you got :). OR check for a heap of background tasks that might have been running while you were gaming. Games hang when something else starts using too much of the systems resources.

Rookie

I doubt that you would experience a audio and visual problem at the same time. It seems unlikely. My first guess would be ram, and are you using enough?

If your running HL2 on max settings, chances are your ram is maxing out. Ive had HL2 run into heaps of memory problems on 1GB, but nothing like yours.
It would definately explain the audio though...
Yeah, I run it maxed out. That said, I've been playing Source engine games with 1gb of RAM for the last year or so with zero problems - I've never seen this happen before today.

I just completed a two-hour run of the game (from the beginning up to Black Mesa East) and so far so good. I might run a MemTest+ later on just to be on the safe side though.

As regard system processes, I only have the essentials - Steam, avast!, MSN and my Apache test server running at any one time. Depending on how demanding the game I'm playing is, though, I sometimes disable the lot. Ran a virus scan a few days ago which turned up zilch, but as you say it can't hurt to check.

Cheers for the suggestions. :)

ex_reven

Yeah, I run it maxed out. That said, I've been playing Source engine games with 1gb of RAM for the last year or so with zero problems - I've never seen this happen before today.

I just completed a two-hour run of the game (from the beginning up to Black Mesa East) and so far so good. I might run a MemTest+ later on just to be on the safe side though.

As regard system processes, I only have the essentials - Steam, avast!, MSN and my Apache test server running at any one time. Depending on how demanding the game I'm playing is, though, I sometimes disable the lot. Ran a virus scan a few days ago which turned up zilch, but as you say it can't hurt to check.

Cheers for the suggestions. :)

your welcome, with the counter strike source games - they are less demanding than HL2.
Think about it, when your playing online, your CPU doesnt need to work as hard as it doesnt have to generate Non Player Controlled Entities (eg bots, combine characters etc). Counterstrike source was also designed with just the basics, as they didnt want online play to suffer from too much lag. HL2 is alot more demanding, with more bots, more graphics rendering occurs as well as more sound, more triggerable events, more physics objects etc.

Rookie

your welcome, with the counter strike source games - they are less demanding than HL2.
Think about it, when your playing online, your CPU doesnt need to work as hard as it doesnt have to generate Non Player Controlled Entities (eg bots, combine characters etc). Counterstrike source was also designed with just the basics, as they didnt want online play to suffer from too much lag. HL2 is alot more demanding, with more bots, more graphics rendering occurs as well as more sound, more triggerable events, more physics objects etc.
I also play a lot of Garry's Mod. That's a tad more demanding than even HL2 itself, what with the innumerable idiots spawning massive physics props every 10 seconds on online servers. ;)

System Name Half-fucked overclockedd
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz @ 4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2O 920
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB X2 1866Mhz (Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / Western Digital Black Cavier 2TB X2
Display(s) Dell U2715H 2560X1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
Mouse Logitech G510
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur Spectrum
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
Dying psu.....?

Rookie

Unlikely. I replaced it not 2 months ago.

I've since formatted (the drive needed a good spring cleaning anyway...) and I've not had the problem since. Very odd. I'll post again if it does show up.