• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

QNAP TS-470

QNAP recently released their new TS-x70 line, and in this review, we are going to take a look at the TS-470, a 4-bay NAS suitable for SMB (Small and Medium-sized Business) environments. QNAP even claims this server to be capable of offering higher than 400 MB/s read and write speeds.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
Fort that price you can get a WD MyCloud EX4 with dual eth and dual PSU AND 4 * 2 TB WD RED disks........

if they decide to send it I would be really glad to compare it with QNAP's offering and see how it scores.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Seems a bit expensive. Doesn't appear to have true raid. So for $1000 I won't even consider it. Really the only selling point for me is the built in XBMC. Currently I have a ZBOX that runs XBMCBuntu and then a NAS that hosts the video files. Combining the two really is appealing.

Are there any off-the-shelf NASes that support the ZFS filesystem and have ECC RAM? At these kind of prices, I'd expect to see features like this, but I haven't found anything yet.

For ZFS you need a very strong CPU and lots of RAM so the price bar will be too high for a ready solution NAS and it surely won't adress home users, but strictly large business environments.

Did you get a chance to test the SSD caching feature?
How is the RAID container recovery ability? If you pull out a disk to simulate a failure, can it recover when provided with a new disk?
What version of SMB is it running?

Excellent review, thank you!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Seems a bit expensive. Doesn't appear to have true raid. So for $1000 I won't even consider it. Really the only selling point for me is the built in XBMC. Currently I have a ZBOX that runs XBMCBuntu and then a NAS that hosts the video files. Combining the two really is appealing.
I completely agree. For $1,000 without drives I could build a much better proper server. The whole point of these types of NAS devices is that they are inexpensive, QNAP seems to have forgotten that with this.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I completely agree. For $1,000 without drives I could build a much better proper server. The whole point of these types of NAS devices is that they are inexpensive, QNAP seems to have forgotten that with this.

I do like the form factor though and the ability to hotswap drives without having to take apart a case. I wonder how many of these types of units get sold and who buys them?

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
SSD caching is pretty nice. I use it on my TS-470 Pro with a 256GB Micron C400

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
too bad it's a celeron. those won''t do so well with plex+roku transcoding, however is better then an ARM based CPU. PLEX+ Roku should have been tested, as this config is extremely popular!

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Should also mention, the processor is socketed. You can throw whatever 1155 you want in it, I have a Quad core in mine. ;)

Did you get a chance to test the SSD caching feature?
How is the RAID container recovery ability? If you pull out a disk to simulate a failure, can it recover when provided with a new disk?
What version of SMB is it running?

Excellent review, thank you!

Nope didn't check the SSD feature because I didn't have an available SSD at the time of the review.

The recovery works fine but it needs quite some time for the volume to be rebuilted. It depends also on the used RAID level.

The version of the QTS was the newest (4.0.5) and is written on the test system specs page.

Should also mention, the processor is socketed. You can throw whatever 1155 you want in it, I have a Quad core in mine. ;)

You must keep the TDP however low at least in the TS-470 because I don't think that its cooling will easily handle much stronger CPUs. Haven't checked the Pro model but it might have a better heatsink.

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
The TS-470 and Pro are the same internally. The stock chip is a 65 watt Celeron G550, That leaves the door open for the entire Core i3 Sandy range, I haven't tried to install an Ivy chip yet but I have a 3570K that I will try as soon as my 3770K arrives.

I don't think that during normal transfers even with multiple clients a stronger CPU would give noticeable higher performance. BUT if in the same time the NAS is doing other tasks as well then surely a stronger CPU would help significantly.

I am really currious to see the temperatures of the 3570K in the TS-470 once you install it :) You may need to install an additional cooler. Just for the heads up there is a vacant fan PWM header on the mainboard, given that the TS-470 and the Pro model use the same mainboard.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
QNAP are quite restrictive to what CPU's work as they have very basic BIOSes in these things and presumably so does most if not all of their competitors. These things aren't meant to be user upgradable, foolishly enough. The memory slot location is proof enough of this.
QNAP makes pretty solid hardware, but the software is cobbled together of too many old bits. They're slowly trying to migrate to newer things, I've heard some models are now shipping with SMB 4.0...

You must keep the TDP however low at least in the TS-470 because I don't think that its cooling will easily handle much stronger CPUs. Haven't checked the Pro model but it might have a better heatsink.

I wish you reviewed the TS-470 Pro, that's the range I'm most interested in...

Nice, I have an old Core i3-530 lying around (can't recall what socket it is), I wonder if it's usable.

The TS-470 and Pro are the same internally.

Are you absolutely sure? Source for this?

The stock chip is a 65 watt Celeron G550, That leaves the door open for the entire Core i3 Sandy range, I haven't tried to install an Ivy chip yet but I have a 3570K that I will try as soon as my 3770K arrives.

So you reckon even the newest Ivy range might be usable? Have you confirmed yet, man that'd be so sweet!

Just for the heads up there is a vacant fan PWM header on the mainboard, given that the TS-470 and the Pro model use the same mainboard.

Are you absolutely sure, exactly the same in every way? Source? Thank-you.

QNAP are quite restrictive to what CPU's work as they have very basic BIOSes in these things and presumably so does most if not all of their competitors. These things aren't meant to be user upgradable, foolishly enough.

I really hope there's a healthy hacking community in this area ensuring that there's "unofficial support" of much better CPU's than the Celeron!
Getting quite excited now, it's sounding like the the non-Pro 470/670/870 are exactly the same in every way, & the only difference is the Celeron.
If that truly is the case, then I can buy a non-Pro version, save a sizable chunk of $, and then upgrade CPU/RAM etc. later!

Last edited:
"Just for the heads up there is a vacant fan PWM header on the mainboard, given that the TS-470 and the Pro model use the same mainboard."

I am afraid I am not sure of this. I just make the assumption since AthlonX2 stated this. He has a Pro model so apparently he figured it out from my internal shots of the plain 470 model.

I am afraid I am not sure of this. I just make the assumption since AthlonX2 stated this. He has a Pro model so apparently he figured it out from my internal shots of the plain 470 model.

Okay, I hope AthlonX2 can answer that Qn to you then, & hopefully he/TheLostSwede can address the other points/Qns raised, thank-you!

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Nice, I have an old Core i3-530 lying around (can't recall what socket it is), I wonder if it's usable.

No, the 530 is 1156.

Are you absolutely sure? Source for this?

Yes, with Qnap the pro and standard models have always used the same internals, they just add LCD screens and locking drive trays to pro models.

So you reckon even the newest Ivy range might be usable? Have you confirmed yet, man that'd be so sweet!

no haven't confirmed. Be smart about it though, the NAS is a SFF pc running Linux and such cant handle high TDP CPUs with the included cooling solution. I would say you might get lucky with a quad core ivy but i wouldn't try anything with HT.

I really hope there's a healthy hacking community in this area ensuring that there's "unofficial support" of much better CPU's than the Celeron!
Getting quite excited now, it's sounding like the the non-Pro 470/670/870 are exactly the same in every way, & the only difference is the Celeron.
If that truly is the case, then I can buy a non-Pro version, save a sizable chunk of $, and then upgrade CPU/RAM etc. later!

Please realize that this is obviously not supported by Qnap, in fact you can consider your warranty gone once you open the NAS. The Pro versions of the 470/670/870 also use the Celeron processor. I upgraded mine to a Pentium dual core with a slightly higher clock speed and more cache.

No, the 530 is 1156.

Ah that's right...

Yes, with Qnap the pro and standard models have always used the same internals, they just add LCD screens and locking drive trays to pro models.

Hmm, I actually like those little extra things, I wonder if folks are adding "after-market" touches like that to their cheaper "non-Pro" TS-x devices
?
Is that definitely the only difference; LCD display & drive locking mechanisms?

no haven't confirmed. Be smart about it though, the NAS is a SFF pc running Linux and such cant handle high TDP CPUs with the included cooling solution. I would say you might get lucky with a quad core ivy but i wouldn't try anything with HT.

Oh yeah don't worry, I've quite a lot of experience in this area (thermodynamics, not so much with NAS's -appliance or otherwise), I won't go crazy.

Please realize that this is obviously not supported by Qnap, in fact you can consider your warranty gone once you open the NAS. The Pro versions of the 470/670/870 also use the Celeron processor. I upgraded mine to a Pentium dual core with a slightly higher clock speed and more cache.

Yes I realise, can you point to any great communities doing all sorts of after-market hw/sw hackz/modz/twks to these NAS appliances?
Eh, isn't the i3 CPU they're advertising for their Pro range using Core2+ based (codename nowadays escapes me) micro-architecture?
If so it can't be a "Celeron", unless they've changed their naming rules fundamentally in the last yr or 2, haven't been following closely for a while.

Last edited:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
You are correct on the i3 in the pro models. i wasn't aware they were using those now.

You are correct on the i3 in the pro models. i wasn't aware they were using those now.

Thanks, that addresses the last point/Qn, I don't suppose you can address the final 3 points/Qns that came before it?