• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it worth upgrading to a 6 core yet?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
You must be kidding me, that benchmark was taken from a SINGLE PLAYER game and has no relevance whatsoever to multiplayer performance.

Ah, I missed that you were talking about multiplayer. I am so sorry I have trespassed on your time.

System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
Right, don't trust one of the biggest, most respected sites for tech in the world. Tell me again how biased they are when they publish their test methods and do everything exactly the same? Also, they used SLI Titans to completely isolate the CPUs unlike most reviews that end up with a GPU bottleneck in some games/resolutions. That article is one of the most honest comparisons that I've ever seen, the fact you're calling it garbage just shows how much your opinion is worth. Please don't bother posting again, you're not adding anything and you're clearly biased.

Edit: Oh, and that video is worthless, it's comparing the 8350 to the previous generation of intel chips...not the current one. Way to cherry pick and not be biased at all -sarcasm-

8350 is closer in generation to the 3570k than the 4670k. You are definitely not biased at all. /sarcasm

Umm you do realize that benchmarks are always single player right? And you do realize that multiplayer performance for framerate will mirror single player performance right? I mean you wouldn't be dumb enough to suggest that a chip that loses in a benchmark is magically going to perform better in multiplayer right? It's all the same engine, the game doesn't magically become more multi-threaded in one game mode vs another. I don't care how long you've been a member of Guru3D, I've been building computers and programming since 1996. I'm a senior systems programmer and I've worked in game development as a side job. I love how engineers think they know everything, I'm betting I could teach you a lot but I get the feeling you wouldn't listen so I won't bother.

Oh and stop talking about the 8350, it doesn't stomp the Intel CPUs in a damn thing. It can't even beat the previous generation Intel single threaded processors in gaming because it's such a gimpy CPU that it needs a heavily threaded application just to keep up. Clock speed > multi-threading for gaming, daily tasks and OS use. The *only* thing that multi-threading is better for is encoding video and high end graphics work or virtualization in software development, that's it. If you argue differently you're an idiot and I'm going to ignore you. Besides, anything the 8350 can do, the 4770k will do better. It's too bad because I used to be a big fan of AMD, but their current CPU lineup SUCKS.

Never mind the fact that there isn't such a thing as a heavily threaded video game. You clearly don't know anything about game development, stick to engineering for Fujitsu, you're out of your element.

Oh, and you couldn't be more wrong. Have a nice day.

Ugh, I really dislike coming across your posts.

Wrong. Multiplayer is more cpu intensive in BF4.
Comparing a >$300 cpu to a <$200 cpu. Might as well say anything a Radeon 7770 will do, a 280X will do better.

I get it, you like Intel. It's just funny how blind it has made you.

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
8350 is closer in generation to the 3570k than the 4670k. You are definitely not biased at all. /sarcasm

Ugh, I really dislike coming across your posts.

Wrong. Multiplayer is more cpu intensive in BF4.
Comparing a >$300 cpu to a <$200 cpu. Might as well say anything a Radeon 7770 will do, a 280X will do better.

I get it, you like Intel. It's just funny how blind it has made you.

I don't care when something came out, I care what is available right now and what it costs. I also don't care what brand it is, I care what performance it gets. When I come into a thread I look at what the conversation is about, what the OP is asking and talk in that context. I've built AMD machines, I've build Intel machines. I've done both in the past 4 years. What I hate is people like the guys who refuse to look at benchmarks and data because of a blind preference. Go look up my posts and filter through them and you'll see that when I'm talking about:

1) gaming, daily use and hobby video editing I generally recommend Intel

2) heavy or professional video editing, software development with VM or heavy graphical work (3d modeling) I recommend higher core counts and multi-threading. I've said very clearly within the past few days in other threads that if you intend to do heavily threaded work on a budget the 8350 is the best CPU for the money. Would an Intel Ivy-E be better? Sure, it's also a LOT more expensive.

People like you piss me off. I'm not biased. I just have very little patience for stupidity when it comes to measurable performance. There is no gray area, there is no "subjective" to CPU performance. You have certain tasks each CPU is more well suited for and when you go to buy a CPU you should figure out what they are and then balance budget vs your uses. Period.

As for the single player/multiplayer thing. Stop it. Games are not more heavily threaded in multiplayer. You are implying that the engine behaves differently depending on whether it is CPU controlled people on the screen or human and that's just plain ignorant. Single player is more controlled because the developers can control exactly how many people are on screen and what they are doing, but if you have two CPUs that get 100fps and 50fps respectively...and you take them into the same situation in multiplayer...chances are that the former is still going to be roughly twice the FPS. They might be closer together because BOTH go down a lot (50fps vs 25fps) but the ratio will roughly be the same.

Otherwise benchmarks would be WORTHLESS. There would be no point in gaming benchmarks for CPUs or GPUs. To imply that is the worst kind of stupid.

Edit: wanted to clarify something. Of course CPU usage is more intensive in multiplayer, the computer has additional information coming in and going out related to the other players. But the engine isn't more heavily threaded...so the extra cores/threads don't make nearly the impact they would in a case where you have a heavily threaded game vs one that isn't at all. The point is the engine is exactly the same. BF4 numbers from multiplayer if you could get the exact same setup would be similar to what you see from the single player benchmarks. If one CPU got 50fps....the others that are the same in the benchmark would also get 50fps.

The entire reason the i5-4670k is better for gaming is because it's more powerful and games aren't very heavily threaded or optimized. It just plain doesn't matter that you have extra cores to split the work load because it doesn't scale very well above 4 cores. It's been proven time and again by reputable experts. You don't have to take my word for it, go READ. I've posted this a dozen times, game developers make games for average, not high end. 6 core is high end, it makes up a tiny part of the gaming community, so they don't optimize for it. It costs to much money for virtually no return.

I've made this comparison before, but more than 4 cores is like 3 and 4 way SLI, you get slightly better performance but it doesn't scale for crap. It's the same reason, no one optimizes engines to deal with more than two GPUs in drivers.

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Nope theres no innovation in the CPU market beyond sandy bridge 2700k on the intel front and Phenom II X6 1100T on the AMD front. CPUs are stagnant. Save money for now. Or buy a used i5 Sandy off ebay and a z68 or z77 mobo.

Agreed. I have a q6600 running at stock with a gtx570 and it loads games just as fast as the i7 920 i sold and plays them nearly as smoothly. It really isn't noticable at 1920x1080. No point in shelling out the cash if you ask me. So no, to answer OPs question , it is not worth upgrading.

System Name Parts Arriving Now...
Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Noctua u14s w/push-pull
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 1866
Video Card(s) 2x EVGA GTX 780ti Superclocked
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD black 2TB
Display(s) QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution II 1440p
Case Corsair 750D
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-FI xtrememusic
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Software Window 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores n/a, system being built this week
I'm sorry if I sometimes come off as rude or abbrasive, I just get really tired of writing detailed posts and backing my opinions up with reviews, benchmarks and technical explanations only to have people come in and be like "nuh uh, you're wrong and you're stupid". It's very, very frustrating. I try really hard not to act like a jerk but it's hard when I see the same threads with the same misleading, or even worse completely false information over and over again. There are a couple people I've noticed here and on other forums who literally have no clue and say some of the most ridiculous things you could imagine...and will argue tooth and nail without saying a single fact or a shred of proof. I'm not saying that is what you're doing I'm just trying to explain. As an example:

How would you respond if someone told you: "I can see a difference between DVD and bluray on a 27" CRT with componant connection. You have to be really close, but it's there" how do you respond to that? I sat there and explained that a 27" crt TV would have been 480p with component because they didn't make CRTs that size with 720p capability. So the picture couldn't have been any better because you're looking at a standard definition picture. The only difference is the picture is progressive scan instead of interlaced, so it will be slightly crisper. But it has nothing to do with the DVD or Bluray, it's how the TV is drawing the picture in one pass vs two.

When someone refuses to acknowledge the FACTS about the situation I can't do anymore. When they constantly make false, often baseless opinionated statements I can't do anything else than try to explain why it's wrong. When I have to do it 20 times a day about the same topics, at some point I get mad. So I apologize if I came off that way in my previous posts.

System Name Queen Bee
Processor 3570k @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte UD3 Z77
Cooling Water Loop by EK
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600 DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming WaterCooled
Storage 1x Western Digital 500GB Black 1x Intel 20GB 311 SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2420G
Case CoolTek W2
Power Supply Corsair 650Watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Every single computer in my house is quad core 3570k/I7 920/Q6600/A8-3850/750k x4/A6-5200. I've gotten my hands on many other CPU's, and OS's, and it's fascinating to watch both synthetic and non-synthetic "benchmarking". Most notable is the AMD Piledriver and Jaguar CPU's.
Skyrim a game I love (and you can watch this with task manager) will utilize core 0 and core 2 on my 750k Athlon, yet on my Jaguar laptop I see all 4 cores light up. Hmm that's a bit mysterious. To further that statement a 8150 I play around with at work (it's a diagnoses machine) will light up again core 0 and core 6 in Skyrim, Battlefield 3 I'll see core 0/2/4/6 light up, finally Crysis 3 all 8 threads run some sort of load but again core 0/2/4/6 are experiencing the largest load. When I let my old 920 run Crysis 3 as an example core 0/2/4/6 are fully utilized core 1 and 3 are running something, and 5 and 7 are just chillin.
I'm not goanna get around to a point I'm just sharing my experience with some machines. However if just 1 game seems to stress a quad core enough that more cores make a difference....

System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
I'm sorry if I sometimes come off as rude or abbrasive, I just get really tired of writing detailed posts and backing my opinions up with reviews, benchmarks and technical explanations only to have people come in and be like "nuh uh, you're wrong and you're stupid". It's very, very frustrating. I try really hard not to act like a jerk but it's hard when I see the same threads with the same misleading, or even worse completely false information over and over again. There are a couple people I've noticed here and on other forums who literally have no clue and say some of the most ridiculous things you could imagine...and will argue tooth and nail without saying a single fact or a shred of proof. I'm not saying that is what you're doing I'm just trying to explain. As an example:

How would you respond if someone told you: "I can see a difference between DVD and bluray on a 27" CRT with componant connection. You have to be really close, but it's there" how do you respond to that? I sat there and explained that a 27" crt TV would have been 480p with component because they didn't make CRTs that size with 720p capability. So the picture couldn't have been any better because you're looking at a standard definition picture. The only difference is the picture is progressive scan instead of interlaced, so it will be slightly crisper. But it has nothing to do with the DVD or Bluray, it's how the TV is drawing the picture in one pass vs two.

When someone refuses to acknowledge the FACTS about the situation I can't do anymore. When they constantly make false, often baseless opinionated statements I can't do anything else than try to explain why it's wrong. When I have to do it 20 times a day about the same topics, at some point I get mad. So I apologize if I came off that way in my previous posts.

You come off as arrogant. You let your opinions get in the way of the facts you point out.

That article is one of the most honest comparisons that I've ever seen, the fact you're calling it garbage just shows how much your opinion is worth. Please don't bother posting again, you're not adding anything and you're clearly biased.

He said he didn't trust them. (Dunno where garbage came from...) As a side note, I must also have a worthless opinion and shouldn't bother posting again because I also don't completely trust their benchmarks.

I love how engineers think they know everything, I'm betting I could teach you a lot but I get the feeling you wouldn't listen so I won't bother.

Oh and stop talking about the 8350, it doesn't stomp the Intel CPUs in a damn thing.

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
The petty squabbling is becoming annoying now, please keep it clean and on topic, opinions are encouraged, facts equally but lets play nice.

coolicool

Generally a 4 core is enough. Still though even a dual core is enough for most things. We need context. What application will you be using it for, gaming?
ssd is better for upgrade. CPU speed is enough.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
ssd is better for upgrade. CPU speed is enough.
SSD only helps loading speed. It doesn't actually make the game perform any better once it is loaded up. Not to say that an SSD is a bad upgrade, but it won't achieve anything other than faster loading times.

Lol..omg you're seriously full of it. I've just had a quick look through your post history and now I see what FX-GMC meant now about your arrogance.. Unbelievable. ..

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
A 6 core amd isn't as good as most quad core Intel's

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast Black 8gb @ 1600 cl8
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply FSP 650w
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
A 6 core amd isn't as good as most quad core Intel's

Blanket statement. Plenty of applications where a AMD 6 core could outperform a Intel 4 core. Depends what you do.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
Blanket statement. Plenty of applications where a AMD 6 core could outperform a Intel 4 core. Depends what you do.

I would be rather surprised if AMD has a 6-core CPU that's faster than a modern Intel quad-core with HT. Maybe not an i5, but HT gives the i7s a little bit of leverage and it tends to have leverage in the right places when you compare it to fairly heavily threaded tasks. I agree though, it definitely depends on what you do when you start talking about 6 or more cores.

Processor Intel i7-4770k
Motherboard ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO
Cooling Deepcool GAMMAXX S40
Memory Kingston HyperX Beast Black 8gb @ 1600 cl8
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 670 POWER EDITION
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar U3
Power Supply FSP 650w
actually 8 core amd is not so fully 8 cores....
the 8 cores are infact mashed down into 4 modules, each module contains 2 small cores, each module contains 1 decoder per 2 cores. The decoder can only supply 1 core information at a time which hinders its speed.
Anyway top amd 8core cpu gets owned by any i5 (4c) in games.
There are many variants of builds but only one of them can contain amd cpu - when you dont have money but you need this only for work with multithreaded applications

Last edited:
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
the 8 cores are infact mashed down into 4 modules, each module contains 2 small cores, each module contains 1 decoder per 2 cores. The decoder can only supply 1 core information at a time which hinders its speed.
Anyway top amd 8core cpu gets fucked by any i5 (4c) in games.
There are many variants of builds but only one of them can contain amd cpu - when you dont have money but you need this only for work with multithreaded applications

Watch the language. While Intel does perform better in single threaded applications, there is no denying the 8350 is a very good gaming processor. I wouldn't buy one myself nowadays, but it is most certainly an option for those that feel the need.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Anyway top amd 8core cpu gets fucked by any i5 (4c) in games.

Actually, IIRC it had 2 decoders and I think Steamroller upped it to 3 but my numbers could be wrong... maybe it was 3 to 4... AMD's 8xxx and 9xxx series FX CPUs have 8 integer cores and 4 256-bit FPUs which can be split apart using something like FMA. AMD is expecting developers to use the GPU for heavy floating point math and keep the CPU good at what CPUs do best, which is integer math. AMD's 8-core CPU is much more a 8-core CPU than it isn't. 1 module isn't too far off from how the Q6600 was made, with two dual-core dies with a shared L2 cache between each two cores. The only difference is AMD added extra hardware where they felt it was needed and removed hardware where it wasn't. Die space is precious because there will come a point where you simply can't make CPUs smaller.

Was there a performance hit on single threaded applications? Sure.
Are they "fucked" because of it? No way.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The petty squabbling is becoming annoying now, please keep it clean and on topic, opinions are encouraged, facts equally but lets play nice.

Bumping this post.