• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Rust (Discussion)

So those houses I started raiding last night, those 3, they didn't put the door back on that 1. 1 more charge took down that wall and jackpot. :D Got a bunch of weapons, some clothing, gunpowder, etc. Good find. Gonna create more charges and go get the other houses there. I also found another in the mountains that just might be choochoos/MCL.

MCL has been on all morning like me too. I think he blew up a wall to get into my house. Did him a whole lotta good. Lol.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 10 Pro
I have several bases on the map. 3 actually. One is very well hidden and holds a lot of my loot.

My big metal tower....holds almost nothing. I did this purposfully because I know eventually someones going to just have to raid it. It must be tempting but if they do it will cost a lot of c4. and they'll find almost nothing. lol

I mule my resources to another base of mine often which will be almost as difficult to raid. but they have to find it first.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
The server is based out of Los Angeles, California. (about an hour from my home)
The server provider: FPSplayers

I was in my metal tower last night when all of a sudden I see in chat: Alex: "Anyone live in this metal building?" followed immediately by C4 exploding. I'm up in my tower and about ready to rush down and kill him when he realizes its my base. In voice chat he proceeds to say how sorry he is over and over. lol It was funny and since it was a mistake I left him alone.
You need a lot more than 1 C4 if you are going to raid my base.
If you build your base right it will be so costly to raid that its not worth it. Right now the biggest weakness for any base are the windows.
I just can't wait for the bars for windows feature to be implemented.
Hey do you guys think day time should be longer? It seems like as soon as dawn appears and I try to run somewhere I always have to camp out in the wild due to the day ending so quickly.
Lol, "anybody live here?" BOOM. Oh shit, that's the admin... "SORRY!"
I haven't even played it yet, but it does sound like if you're trying to explore and keep getting caught out in the wilderness exploring when it goes dark, then at least experiment with the time settings a bit.
I have several bases on the map. 3 actually. One is very well hidden and holds a lot of my loot.

My big metal tower....holds almost nothing. I did this purposfully because I know eventually someones going to just have to raid it. It must be tempting but if they do it will cost a lot of c4. and they'll find almost nothing. lol

I mule my resources to another base of mine often which will be almost as difficult to raid. but they have to find it first.
From what I've gathered from your guys' conversations so far, this is the best option to protect your loot, and I will be doing the same. I'll set up a decoy base near one of you guys and find a nearby hidden spot for a small fortress (once I can build a metal structure, that is). Until I can do that, however, I'll likely not have much loot or have one of you guys store it for me.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
Build a medieval scale castle. Whitenoise would be king as he is admin. The rest of you surfs can live in the courtyard with your own less grand towers.

Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
lol thats funny.

Some people know I'm admin but I don't try to let everyone know. I don't want people to fear raiding or attacking me just because i'm admin. If someone kills or raids me its all part of the game. I may go hunting for them but even then they could still take me out.

I hate admins that abuse their power. I'm not one of those guys.

When I have grouped with others or in the future groups I run in; i want to be treated like any other guy. everything should be a democracy. equal say in all things you know.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
Lol, "anybody live here?" BOOM. Oh shit, that's the admin... "SORRY!"
I haven't even played it yet, but it does sound like if you're trying to explore and keep getting caught out in the wilderness exploring when it goes dark, then at least experiment with the time settings a bit.

From what I've gathered from your guys' conversations so far, this is the best option to protect your loot, and I will be doing the same. I'll set up a decoy base near one of you guys and find a nearby hidden spot for a small fortress (once I can build a metal structure, that is). Until I can do that, however, I'll likely not have much loot or have one of you guys store it for me.

Well you will get caught in the dark often and in those moments I just craft a wood shelter and door. Sit in it till morning.

Yeah if you build down by me and erocker...(I think guitar is fairly close by) you at least dont have to worry about us raiding you. I can't speak for erocker and guitar but I figure we will all support each other. In this game having a few friends is important.

Since I can see erockers base from mine...if I'm on and I see someone trying to raid him I will defend his base.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Software Win 10 64
lol thats funny.

Some people know I'm admin but I don't try to let everyone know. I don't want people to fear raiding or attacking me just because i'm admin. If someone kills or raids me its all part of the game. I may go hunting for them but even then they could still take me out.

I hate admins that abuse their power. I'm not one of those guys.

When I have grouped with others or in the future groups I run in; i want to be treated like any other guy. everything should be a democracy. equal say in all things you know.
Respectable. Back in the day when I would spend hours playing CS, I frequented custom servers (surf, glass, gungame, scouts/knives, RPG, etc.) and a lot of them had admins that would abuse their powers. It pisses you right the hell off when you know for damn sure you headshot a guy with the scout only to get killed and find out he has invulnerability turned on, or you shoot out the glass floor beneath one of them and they just float there because they've turned noclip on. BS.
Normally I would say that if you're not going to abuse the powers, then there's no harm in people knowing you're an admin, but in this game, I can see how it would drastically change the experience.
Well you will get caught in the dark often and in those moments I just craft a wood shelter and door. Sit in it till morning.

Yeah if you build down by me and erocker...(I think guitar is fairly close by) you at least dont have to worry about us raiding you. I can't speak for erocker and guitar but I figure we will all support each other. In this game having a few friends is important.

Since I can see erockers base from mine...if I'm on and I see someone trying to raid him I will defend his base.
That was the plan ;)
Much easier to keep your base(s) defended when you're in a small group of allies.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
here is a good example why I don't tell everyone I'm admin.

Last weekend in the A.M. RCoon and his goon's raided bumblebee's base. Then right around the same time one of RCoon's friends left their base door open and another guy SGT walked into their base. I guess some fighting went on and then RCoon and goons went after SGT at his base. They may have been using their brand new bolt action rifles. I guess they killed SGT who immediately stated something about them being admin. I don't know the details but I watched this all happen in chat and kept quiet.

So there will always be that guy that gets owned and automatically assumes he was owned due to a cheating admin.

On a side note I talked to some other guys a day later and I guess because RCoon and Goons were rubberbanding really bad and SGT thought it was some admin cheating feature.

It of course wasn't. they were rubberbanding bad and shortly afterwards decided to play on a UK server instead.

I have not seen SGT since then. Or Bumblebee for that matter. I think they may have rage quit not realising that RCoon and Goons already left the server.

Day/Night is working fine.

We got MCL/ChooChoo's base! We raided the shit out of it, and they had a LOT. He came in and we killed him and even got stuff off his body. :D Then we destroyed/dropped the stuff we didn't need, and I put walls all throughout his house. :D They got what they deserved.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
I forget...what did they do to you guys?

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
ahhh okay. Well it would seem they will either hit you back or avoid you going forward lol!

And you got them damn good too!

My only real enemy is bumble but he hasn't been on. I want to kill that guy. I went to his base last night to raid it but someone beat me to it.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
Day/Night is working fine.

We got MCL/ChooChoo's base! We raided the shit out of it, and they had a LOT. He came in and we killed him and even got stuff off his body. :D Then we destroyed/dropped the stuff we didn't need, and I put walls all throughout his house. :D They got what they deserved.
I had the exact face as your avatar as I read that you guys put up walls in the base. :roll:

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I wasnt trying to advocate abusing admin powers. I was more describing you guys all building towers near each other and putting a communal wall\barrier. Since your admin t seemed natural that you would get the center kingly tower.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
actually james I have thought about putting a wall up around my base. Funny you brought that up. If I put a wall up using foundations then no one will be able to put stairs up my tower. The foundation just needs to be placed close enough to my base that it doesn't touch it but is 4-5 feet apart. I think it would work good for helping to keep raiders out. I might just wait and see if its really needed though.

Also guys I have set the server to not allow degrading. I'm not 100% sure but I hope this means spike walls wont fade away over time. Then people will have to use explosives on them to get rid of them and we don't have to keep building spike walls all the time. If spike walls are perm. then I may forgo the walls around my base and just set spike walls out at a distance that I can see people at them from my tower.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
Last night was fun playing with you guys. I didn't see much of anyone from here except for Erocker... who killed me on sight as I was still trying to get my bearings.
I managed to make some enemies already, trolled them pretty hard.
Didn't manage to make much progress or figure out my location; three hours in and all I have is a wooden shack, a hatchet, and some grilled chicken. I'm in the middle of a forest, but hell if I know where that is in relation to you guys.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Last night was fun playing with you guys. I didn't see much of anyone from here except for Erocker... who killed me on sight as I was still trying to get my bearings.
I managed to make some enemies already, trolled them pretty hard.
Didn't manage to make much progress or figure out my location; three hours in and all I have is a wooden shack, a hatchet, and some grilled chicken. I'm in the middle of a forest, but hell if I know where that is in relation to you guys.

Near any irradiated towns?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Sounds like Don't Starve, but with others and fancier. I shall have to consider it.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
Near any irradiated towns?
No idea. Didn't have much time to explore after setting up camp, I still needed to gather some resources and cook some food before going to bed.
Next time I log on, I plan on rebuilding my shack (aforementioned enemies probably broke down the door already) and exploring around it to ascertain my location. All I can tell you right now is it's a small, thick forest and I have a mountain on either side of me.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

apparently, he thought were the one who killed his parents....

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
No idea. Didn't have much time to explore after setting up camp, I still needed to gather some resources and cook some food before going to bed.
Next time I log on, I plan on rebuilding my shack (aforementioned enemies probably broke down the door already) and exploring around it to ascertain my location. All I can tell you right now is it's a small, thick forest and I have a mountain on either side of me.

I came on when they were all pissed off and threatening you. I'm "Chuck" in game. They did agree to call you guys even for now considering they already killed you. But who knows how they will act.The main guy was MickeyMCMickey right? Well after you logged out of the game they soon logged out as well. I was on till 1am there abouts and they never came back.

If erocker killed you then you might be somewhere down south near us. Not sure though.

The only thing I have to complain about is with players that rage quit. They get raided, lose all their hard work and then instead of just rebuilding they chose to leave the server...which forces them to rebuild anyway.
No matter what server you play on you will always have people raiding your base and stealing your shit. Even a PVE server has this. Its part of the game.

You just have to find a place to build that is really out of the way and or hidden. If anyone can see your base from theroad...well its now a target. You have to get off the beaten path and build something somewhere where it can't be seen easily.

Now I didn't do that but I wanted a base that overlooked the area I live in. I do have two other smaller bases though and one of which is hidden pretty well.

Last night a new player logged in to the server...was killed fairly quickly. He then built a shack w/ door and then placed a storage crate in it and tossed all his stuff in it. Then he realized that the crate he place was placed in front of his doorway. lol He was stuck in his shed with no way out. Teleporting doesn't seem to work on the server so I couldn't get him out. He then decides to destroy his crates with his axe. which in turn he does. But he left all of his shit in the crate!! lol

So I decide to help him out and tell him if he finds me I will hook him up. I gave him a full cloth armor set, shotgun, some ammo, some wood and ore. He then proceeds back to where his shack is...tries jumping up onto some rocks and falls to his death losing everything. LMAO he's like, "Chuck yer gonna be mad." I almost thought maybe he thought I'd give him more shit. I was like hell no. I don't mind helping out fellow players but I'm not a charity. I have to draw the line somewhere. (Unless its someone from here though)

erocker incognito....funny as shit. I look forward to seeing what happens on that front. lol

Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It should be fun! He he.

Last edited:

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
Software Win 10 64
I came on when they were all pissed off and threatening you. I'm "Chuck" in game. They did agree to call you guys even for now considering they already killed you. But who knows how they will act.The main guy was MickeyMCMickey right? Well after you logged out of the game they soon logged out as well. I was on till 1am there abouts and they never came back.
Yeah, it was a group of three. NickMcMickey, Walrus, and Masterful Assassin. And I know you're Chuck, I sent you a tell, remember?
If erocker killed you then you might be somewhere down south near us. Not sure though.
I was at the base Erocker posted a pic of yesterday, until he killed me. Now, after respawning multiple times, I haven't the slightest idea.

The only thing I have to complain about is with players that rage quit. They get raided, lose all their hard work and then instead of just rebuilding they chose to leave the server...which forces them to rebuild anyway.
No matter what server you play on you will always have people raiding your base and stealing your shit. Even a PVE server has this. Its part of the game.

You just have to find a place to build that is really out of the way and or hidden. If anyone can see your base from theroad...well its now a target. You have to get off the beaten path and build something somewhere where it can't be seen easily.

Now I didn't do that but I wanted a base that overlooked the area I live in. I do have two other smaller bases though and one of which is hidden pretty well.
I can understand getting frustrated and quitting for a while, but not rage quitting altogether.
And not that it'll be my permanent house, but my shack is in a thicket of trees and impossible to see unless you run into the forest specifically looking for it. I even lost track of it while being chased by a wolf.

Last night a new player logged in to the server...was killed fairly quickly. He then built a shack w/ door and then placed a storage crate in it and tossed all his stuff in it. Then he realized that the crate he place was placed in front of his doorway. lol He was stuck in his shed with no way out. Teleporting doesn't seem to work on the server so I couldn't get him out. He then decides to destroy his crates with his axe. which in turn he does. But he left all of his shit in the crate!! lol

So I decide to help him out and tell him if he finds me I will hook him up. I gave him a full cloth armor set, shotgun, some ammo, some wood and ore. He then proceeds back to where his shack is...tries jumping up onto some rocks and falls to his death losing everything. LMAO he's like, "Chuck yer gonna be mad." I almost thought maybe he thought I'd give him more shit. I was like hell no. I don't mind helping out fellow players but I'm not a charity. I have to draw the line somewhere. (Unless its someone from here though)
Lol.
Yeah, all I have right now is a hatchet, some grilled chicken, and a full cloth armor set. I have a few resources, but not enough to really build anything.
At this point, I'd just be happy finding you guys again. I'll worry about gearing up later, meeting up with you guys is my top priority. I'll have to in order to survive. Unless E kills me again :p

erocker incognito....funny as shit. I look forward to seeing what happens on that front. lol
I know. Even though he killed me, I was still laughing my head off. Classic E.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
When you log out of the server can people just come and take your stuff? Is there no way to secure the stuff you get?

Build a medieval scale castle. Whitenoise would be king as he is admin. The rest of you surfs can live in the courtyard with your own less grand towers.

it is spelled serfs not surfs.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 10 Pro
When you log out of the server can people just come and take your stuff? Is there no way to secure the stuff you get?
it is spelled serfs not surfs.

Depends on the server. our server is a NO sleep server. what that means is when you log out, anything in your backback logs out with you. No one can find your sleeping body and kill you then steal your stuff.
BUT you can't carry everything in your backpack when you log so anything you leave at your base in a crate can be looted when you arent playing. They have to break into your base first.

You can use "small stash bags" and store items in it. Only three slots in a stash bag but the nice thing about it is once placed somewhere it becomes invisible; even to you. someone has to walk right up on it for the bag to become visible again. So you can hide these in your base in odd spots or even outside in places no one will ever find.

SLEEP servers mean when you log out of game your in game character lays down and goes to sleep. Anyone can find your sleeping character and kill him which allows them to steal anything in your backpack. I don't like this way of playing because there are many times I can't play and i think its lame that anyone can find my sleeping body and kill me. Some people think this adds realism but not to me. In real life if I'm sleeping and someone c4's my door...I'm waking up and defending myself. lol

Designing your base to thwart would be raiders is your number one priority. But if they have enough c4 then nothing you do can keep them out. c4 is really expensive though.

I'm tossing around the idea of making c4 even more rare. but I wont do it if everyone is against that. atm it seems like there is an awful lot of people with plenty of c4 and that seems strange to me.

Last edited: