• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I got a mechanical keyboard

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
EDIT: since I got o rings for this it's not so bad. Still wish I had gone for a different switch though.

And here I am typing on my sidewinder x4. I gave it to my mom.

I wanted to try one to see if my typing would get better. I bought http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162028.

I knew that it would be noisy, but I had no idea just how loud it would be. My mom is in the other room and I can hear her typing over my music playing and through the wall.

The illumination on it is crap. The top of the key gets all the light while the symbol at the bottom of the key gets almost none. The icons above the numpad will burn your retinas even on the lowest light setting.

The keys do feel better than this x4, but at what cost? I thought I could deal with having to press the func key to use the multimedia keys but it was annoying very quickly. I listen to music whenever I'm not watching a show or playing a game so I use them a lot.

Overall I don't recommend that one unless you don't use the func key and you don't use the backlight.

Last edited:
System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Mechanical keyboards can be a bitch, deal with it. However pressing the function key to use multimedia keys is indeed ridiculous, but what are you gonna do when it has no dedicated multimedia keys? If you use them that much, I wouldn't have compromised there. Pressing a button to press a button is always annoying, has always been and always will be. See laptops.

Unless keys are individually illuminated, it ain't gonna look ideal.

About the noise, its a preference thing, really... I also didn't expect my keyboard to be that loud but I got used to it quickly.

Overall, I recommend trying out mechanical keyboards in a shop if you have the chance. They differ greatly in look and feel, and also noise, as mentioned.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Unfortunately, you got sucked into the marketing.

It seems like mechanical keyboards are the trendy thing to market nowadays; I haven't seen a vendor in recent history advertise a membrane keyboard no matter what features it had. Despite the large number of people unequovically praising mechanical keyboards, it's definitely a personal preference and they are not clearly superior to membrane keyboards. Many keyboard reviewers are biased towards recommending mechanical keyboards. Their reviews always imply that if you care at all about typing, you get a mechanical keyboard since they are a "vastly superior" typing experience. It's definitely not that clear cut. I guess it comes down to that the only people who review mechanical keyboards are the ones who enjoy using them; there is no group of people who actively advocate other keyboard technologies.

I was curious and went to a local Micro Center to try out a few mechanical keyboards. I couldn't stand the noise and didn't notice enough of a difference in the tactile experience to justify it. I agree there are some models that are quieter than others, but the idea of a "silent" mechanical keyboard is an oxymoron to me. I do a lot of typing, but mechanical keyboards are not the ultimate typing experience they are frequently praised to be. I just hope that there aren't many others who get fooled by the marketing.

Last edited:

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
It isn't marketing, it is a whole different feel to keyboards, and with the right switch, both comfort and speed can be improved. The trick isn't to go "push some keys in a store", you have to actually use it for a few hours or days and get completely used to it. Then go back to your rubber dome and you will see the mush you have been putting your fingers through.

Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Case NZXT Source 530
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
It isn't marketing, it is a whole different feel to keyboards, and with the right switch, both comfort and speed can be improved. The trick isn't to go "push some keys in a store", you have to actually use it for a few hours or days and get completely used to it. Then go back to your rubber dome and you will see the mush you have been putting your fingers through.

I can see your point about needing to get used to one for a while before making a judgment. However, I have been using one of the old IBM mechanical keyboards at the lab where I work (it's an old piece of equipment and it was the only PS/2 keyboard I could find lying around). I find no improvement in my typing over the membrane keyboard that I use at home other than the IBM keyboard being monstrously loud. I know some people prefer the "click," both audible and tactile, that confirms that a key was pressed. I don't find myself needing that tactile cue in order to type, so all I notice is the noise. I suspect I'm not the only person who feels that way.

It's all about different priorities for different people, and it's unfortunate that most of the recent keyboard reviews tout mechanical as clearly better than membrane keyboards when it really comes down to personal preference. The reviews should be comparing mechanical to mechanical and membrane to membrane, not intermixing the two like is done in most of them.

System Name Better than before
Processor 10400
Motherboard B460 Pro4
Cooling Id-Cooling 224
Memory 16 GB
Video Card(s) 1650 Super
Storage Swordfish 500 GB
Display(s) AOC G2
Case Coolermaster Ammo 533
Audio Device(s) Micca MB42X
Power Supply Pure Power 11
Mouse G403
Keyboard Sidewinder x4
Software Windows 10 (ugh)
Mechanical keyboards can be a bitch, deal with it.

Deal with it? I did, by getting rid of it.

However pressing the function key to use multimedia keys is indeed ridiculous, but what are you gonna do when it has no dedicated multimedia keys? If you use them that much, I wouldn't have compromised there. Pressing a button to press a button is always annoying, has always been and always will be. See laptops.

Well now I know not to compromise...

Unless keys are individually illuminated, it ain't gonna look ideal.

That's the thing, every key has an LED light under it. I looked it up after seeing it lit up. The problem is the light is above the switch and it shows...

About the noise, its a preference thing, really... I also didn't expect my keyboard to be that loud but I got used to it quickly.

I wish I would've gotten brown switches.

Overall, I recommend trying out mechanical keyboards in a shop if you have the chance. They differ greatly in look and feel, and also noise, as mentioned.

My town is small and I don't have stores like that here. With that said, my mom seems to like it.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
The reviews should be comparing mechanical to mechanical and membrane to membrane, not intermixing the two like is done in most of them.

So where do we put Topre keyboards then, since they are hybrids...lol

D

Deleted member 24505

Most of the sites recommending mechanical keyboards are just shills for the companys, of course they are going to recommend them, imagine some gaming website saying they are noisy and crap, aint gonna happen.

I'm happy with my Roccat Arvo.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Most of the sites recommending mechanical keyboards are just shills for the companys, of course they are going to recommend them, imagine some gaming website saying they are noisy and crap, aint gonna happen.

I'm happy with my Roccat Arvo.

Wait wait wait.....so I am a stooge because I prefer mechanical's and voice my opinion to that? Seems sort of harsh. While I get that some are very happy with their rubber dome keyboards, I for one am converted. Not by marketing, not because a company told me to, because it is what works for me, and with the place reviewers have, it is our job to voice our opinion based on our experiences, not because a company told us to. Also I have no issues failing a product that is not worthy of people buying it!

System Name main/SFFHTPCARGH!(tm)/Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Samsung Galaxy S23/Ally
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D/i7-3770/S905X/Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/Ryzen Z1 Extreme
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk/HP SFF Q77 Express/uh?/uh?/Asus
Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
Keyboard Endorfy Thock 75% <3/none/touch/virtual
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Software Win10 64/Win8.1 64/Android TV 8.1/Android 13/Win11 64
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
i got the luck to try a G710+ in my local shop and i didn't liked it, actually i use a Gigabyte Aivia K8100v2: Membrane but different pressure level per key, i have to say it's the best keyboard i had since a long time, feel good while playing and while typing, i thought first the range of pressure needed (50g>60g>70g) would be a problem for typing but no: pretty comfortable.

after all it is just a matter of personal liking.

But the most important thing: is to test it before buying ... that's mainly why for keyboard and mouse i shop locally and not online (unless i tested it and i find one cheaper at my fav etailer )

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I assume that has to be some sort of spring assist (hybrid) switch. What do you see under the key caps on that board? Can you provide an image?

D

Deleted member 24505

Wait wait wait.....so I am a stooge because I prefer mechanical's and voice my opinion to that? Seems sort of harsh. While I get that some are very happy with their rubber dome keyboards, I for one am converted. Not by marketing, not because a company told me to, because it is what works for me, and with the place reviewers have, it is our job to voice our opinion based on our experiences, not because a company told us to. Also I have no issues failing a product that is not worthy of people buying it!

Not saying anyone is a stooge, but lets face it, most tech sites are recommending them now, if they get one to test they are gonna say it's good, don't want to bite the hand that feeds them eh?

If people like them it's fair enough, marmite syndrome.

Case NZXT Source 530
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Not saying anyone is a stooge, but lets face it, most tech sites are recommending them now, if they get one to test they are gonna say it's good, don't want to bite the hand that feeds them eh?

I think this is more due to marketing being focused upon mechanical keyboards as opposed to to bias. The only review samples sent out are mechanical. When was the last time you saw a membrane/rubber dome keyboard being reviewed?

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11

I bite that hand all the time! If a product is not worthy, it fails. The companies learn from it and we both move on. Not like they are going to quit sending products to an honest and truthful reviewer. At least it has not been my experience.

I think this is more due to marketing being focused upon mechanical keyboards as opposed to any other technology. The only review samples sent out are mechanical. When was the last time you saw a membrane/rubber dome keyboard being reviewed?

There are rubber domes being sent out, but the real issue is until mechanical's got so prevalent, companies were charging near $100 for a gaming dome board. Now if I can get a better feel and more productivity for say $20 more, why is that not the better deal, assuming the software allows the same functionality? For instance I have the SteelSeries APEX color keyboard to review. It is about to get failed simply because the software is dysfunctional.

D

Deleted member 24505

I think this is more due to marketing being focused upon mechanical keyboards as opposed to to bias. The only review samples sent out are mechanical. When was the last time you saw a membrane/rubber dome keyboard being reviewed?

Exactly, the companys making them want people to buy them, so why would they send out rubber dome ones. mechanical ones are expensive, so why would they recommend rubber dome ones when they have expensive mech ones to shift.

No onje complained that rubber dome ones were crap when that was all that was available, now mech ones are available rubber dome ones are crap funnily enough.

If you have a more expensive product to sell, why would you recommend the cheaper one over your more expensive product.

Fair enough mech ones might be good, but there is nothing wrong with dome keyboards.

It is all down to personal preference i guess. And i am not knocking no one for buying one or preffering one. All i am saying is, of course these companys are going to recommend the more expensive product as they have to sell them.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
I don't speak for anyone else, but for me, mechanical is my preference. I've used several membrane keyboards, my current laptop has one. Seems I always have issues with not hitting a key hard enough with the membrane keyboard, there by missing keystrokes while typing. I've even tried replacing my current mechanical with a Razer Lycosa. I returned the Razer within 2 weeks and went back to my 7 year old mechanical Logitech Elite LE. I just don't like the feel of membrane keyboards. I'd replace my laptops keyboard with mechanical one if I could buy a mechanical replacement.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Exactly, the companys making them want people to buy them, so why would they send out rubber dome ones. mechanical ones are expensive, so why would they recommend rubber dome ones when they have expensive mech ones to shift.

I'm a passionate hater of mechanical keyboards. It took me 2 years to find one I could stand, during that time I found a new love for membrane after being driven to insanity. Rocca Isku membrane was nice, but nothing compared to my glorious Dell QuietKey from the late 90's.
I was saved by the opportunity to get a K90 with MX reds for cheap though. Every other mechanical keyboard I've tried just gave me bloodrage to go and murder some cookie salesmen.

Cooling Enermax ETS-T50 Axe aRGB /basic HP HSF /errr.../oh! liqui..wait, no:sizable vapor chamber/a nice one
Memory 64gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3600mhz DDR4/8gb DDR3 1600/2gb LPDDR3/8gb LPDDR5x 4200/16gb LPDDR5
Video Card(s) Hellhound Spectral White RX 7900 XTX 24gb/GT 730/Mali 450MP5/Adreno 740/RDNA3 768 core
Storage 250gb870EVO/500gb860EVO/2tbSandisk/NVMe2tb+1tb/4tbextreme V2/1TB Arion/500gb/8gb/256gb/2tb SN770M
Display(s) X58222 32" 2880x1620/32"FHDTV/273E3LHSB 27" 1920x1080/6.67"/AMOLED 2X panel FHD+120hz/FHD 120hz
Case Cougar Panzer Max/Elite 8300 SFF/None/back/back-front Gorilla Glass Victus 2+ UAG Monarch Carbon
Audio Device(s) Logi Z333/SB Audigy RX/HDMI/HDMI/Dolby Atmos/KZ x HBB PR2/Edifier STAX Spirit S3 & SamsungxAKG beans
Power Supply Chieftec Proton BDF-1000C /HP 240w/12v 1.5A/4Smart Voltplug PD 30W/Asus USB-C 65W
Mouse Speedlink Sovos Vertical-Asus ROG Spatha-Logi Ergo M575/Xiaomi XMRM-006/touch/touch
VR HMD Medion Erazer
Benchmark Scores bench...mark? i do leave mark on bench sometime, to remember which one is the most comfortable. :o
I assume that has to be some sort of spring assist (hybrid) switch. What do you see under the key caps on that board? Can you provide an image?
from http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...d-with-variable-keystroke-sensitivity.132791/

doesn't seems so, removed S V X,
S: 70g V: 60g X: 50g
IMG_20140109_132045.jpg

now that make me want to remove all the key and give a good vacuum cleaning on that keyboard ...

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
Great points tigger, but this is where trust comes in, at least in my opinion. If a guy like me has been using rubber domes for years, then gets into mech's and praises the benefits, you either trust I am telling you the truth, or you trust I am a sheep. I never said it was wrong to like domes, it is just that to me, the feel, longevity, solidity, and the fact that everything that comes on a $90 rubber dome board can be found in most $120-140 mech offerings. Plus I know it matters very little, but there are mech boards being run over by cars and still going, let me see that happen with the weakly constructed and very flexible dome offerings. While running it over with a car is sort of irrelevant as a test, if it were to drop off the desk, the mech will survive much longer than the dome. Just saying there are more factors at play to a recommendation than the feel of the switches ;)

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Funny you can pay as much for a rubber dome. Anyways it's down to preference how ever you look at it, i for one like mech over dome the feel is much more positive and i dislike the spongy feeling of domes..

Build quality will effect the sound of the keys too, i hate to think what blues sound like on a cheap plastic based keyboard. And sound levels go down after a while too as you learn not to bottom out the key + you can get o rings to improve on that.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Great points tigger, but this is where trust comes in, at least in my opinion. If a guy like me has been using rubber domes for years, then gets into mech's and praises the benefits, you either trust I am telling you the truth, or you trust I am a sheep. I never said it was wrong to like domes, it is just that to me, the feel, longevity, solidity, and the fact that everything that comes on a $90 rubber dome board can be found in most $120-140 mech offerings. Plus I know it matters very little, but there are mech boards being run over by cars and still going, let me see that happen with the weakly constructed and very flexible dome offerings. While running it over with a car is sort of irrelevant as a test, if it were to drop off the desk, the mech will survive much longer than the dome. Just saying there are more factors at play to a recommendation than the feel of the switches ;)

I think there's a mechanical keyboard out there for everyone. Sometimes the one for you is harder to find than for everyone else.

D

Deleted member 24505

Tbh the Roccat Arvo i am using sounds quite clicky, but it is rubber dome. Plus the fact that i just dont have £90 to spend on a keyboard that essentially does exactly what my rubber dome one does, and will not make me better at typing or at playing games.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Software Windows 11
I think there's a mechanical keyboard out there for everyone. Sometimes the one for you is harder to find than for everyone else.

This is exactly my feeling as well. but it takes time to see if reds are strong enough or if greens are too tough, then of course there are hybrids like Topre, or even Alps switches to look at. Even those little key chain switch testers are not what I would consider a good solution to testing, it can take a week or two to know for sure if you have the right mechs or not. For me I have fat fingers, and press multiple keys at once on softer mechs and domes, moving the Cherry MX greens has eliminated that issue for me all together.

@ tigger, the right mech switch for you can make you more productive at typing, not so much at gaming unless it is because of NKRO support or Macros.

VR HMD Medion Erazer
luckily the K8100v2 received pretty good review and feel nothing as cheap, plus here in switzerland it was 61chf instead of 129.90 to 219.90chf for a mech (Ryos MK to Ryos MK Pro), the dollar actual change is 1.01$ for 1chf so the comparison is pretty easy :D :roll:

my two previous keyboard where Logitech G15 (1st serie) and Razer Lycosa, which i didn't liked due to the fact that the key marking is dark and i had to keep it lighted all the time, i don't have to do that on the Aivia. so i guess im a membrane addict.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
It's also worth noting that a lot of the sound the blues make isn't actually the key hitting the switch, but rather the key bottoming out on the keyboard. O-rings make a huge difference for how loud the keyboard is. There is a really good bet that if you do fine with dome keyboards, you may be hitting the keys on mechanical keyboard too hard. If you press a key slowly and wait until you hear the switch go off, it's only a soft ping that it makes. Domes are traditionally quiet because they sit on top of a rubber dome, activation comes when you bottom out the key, mechanical keyboards don't work that way.

I like mechanical keyboards because the amount of force to push down any key is about the same. I've have a lot of dome keyboards where certain keys might need more force to push them down and it would slow me down when I would "miss" a key because I didn't fully activate it. So, at least for me, the blues have done wonders for me and my typing. With this all said though, I don't mind the domes in Apple keyboards, keys are typically easy enough to push down and they don't have very far to go.

Edit: I should also note, that I was not thinking about gaming at all when I wrote this post.

This video is a comparison.

Last edited: