• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird little problem...not really little...

System Name The blob!
Processor Intel Core i7 4770k @ Stock clocks!
Motherboard ASUS Z87-Pro V-Edition
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper N520
Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Ti
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1,000W
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Hey guys & gals, so yesterday...I put in some upgrades my machine had been long over due for. I installed an ASUS Z87-Pro V-Edition Mobo, 16gb of Patriot Viper 3 2133mhz RAM, an Intel Core i7 4770k, a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and last but not least, a EVGA Geforce GTX 780 Ti SC.

Now, I had written on the forums yesterday for having a little bit of trouble installing the OS, which is Windows 7 Pro, along with an old 1TB HDD, but I finally got all that taken care of and into the OS I was! So, I continued to install all the drivers and what not that I had aquired from ASUS' website for the ASUS Z87 Pro...couldn't find the V-Edition, so I just took all the drivers and what not from the website for that Mobo. Installed all of those drivers that I had downloaded the night before and burned on to a DVD disc and saved as that USB setting the DVD drive lets you make when you finalize the disc with the files you want to be written. I installed the drivers, my video card drivers (lastest up-to-date ones), that I had also downloaded the night before and placed on the DVD, and a couple of other programs, like, GPU-Z, CPU-Z, EVGA Precision, and a few others. After the installation of all the drivers, I went to download Steam and installed the game Hawken, because I wanted to test out the new beastly GTX 780 Ti, along with my old GTX 580 under Physx. Things...didn't go quite well....I get into the game, set everything to Ultra on 1920x1200, and enabled Physx: High (requires an Nvidia card blah, blah). I go into the training...and the game...just does not look right....it looks like I'm playing on the lowest settings possible, muddy textures, HORRIBLE low non-dedicated Physx poppin' off on screen and just an all around huge disappointment...so, I'm, like, let me go and try that 4-Way optimization feature that is part of the Mobo. I get that started up, and it instantly BSODs at 4.1Ghz on the core from Stock. It restarts, comes back up with the 4-way optimization thingy, finalizes its settings, sets my RAM to 2000Mhz and at the 11-11-11-2-30 timings, and I go about my merry way thinking I have an okay and stable OC'd board!

I go back to steam, install another Physx enabled game, because that's about all I was worried about at the time to try and Warframe finishes downloading...I start up the launcher, it begins updating and half way through...it BSODs...and I was, like, okay, well....maybe it was the recent OC the board did for me. Go into the UEFI, restore the defaults, CPU back at stock and the RAM switches itself over to 1633Mhz, and I go back into the OS. Try to launch Warframe and it instantly crashes...over and over and over again. I do a verify all files through Steam on Warframe and it being updating again for about another 2 GB...it's only about a 3GB install. It finally finishes and I hit launch on the game, launcher pops up again doing the 700MB update it crashed on before....and CRASHES AGAIN.....on Stock settings. At this point, I'm just like what the heck, man? Once my computer is back up, I re-launch the game again, it updates, I click launch and it instantly crashes...alone with Hawken that doesn't even launch anymore...?

At this time, I just went and wiped the drive clean and did a clean reinstall of the OS with all the settings at stock with only the RAM on its XMP setting, and once Windows was done installing, I started installing the drivers and utilities from the disc. So, my huge question here is...what in the heck was going on with my two attempts at playing games!? One...wasn't even reading that I had set all the settings on Ultra and the other was just crashin' my computer up a storm. By the way, after the installation of the Geforce Drivers, I went ahead and in the settings made my old GTX 580 the dedicated GPU for Physx. Could the latest drivers not be compatible with my set-up and the GTX 580, might have not caught that I had it installed for dedicated Physx, and in turn gave me ultra crappy visuals/Physx eye candy in Hawken? Could it have been the reason why Warframe wasn't even getting past the launcher screen? Could it have been to do with it being a very...very fresh install of Windows 7 and not having any updates installed whatsoever?

At the moment, I feel like this was an unneeded $1600.00 upgrade just to get frustration in return...If anyone can shed any light/tips/tricks on what the problem might have been/what you think I could have been doing wrong, I'd seriously....seriously....appreciate it.

By the way, I also went back into my system and reseated the DIMMs, both of my video cards, and disconnected/reconnected all my most important cables. Then continued to re-install Os 7 for the 2nd time last night.

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You never mention your power supply. Crashing while starting games could be because of the PSU.

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
I'm sorry, it's a Cooler Master Silent M Pro 1,000W. 4 Years old from my last build, but I thought it was still going on strong.

I'm sorry, not sure if I clarified, but I don't BSOD when launching a game, the game itself just crashes.

Last edited:
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I'm sorry, it's a Cooler Master Silent M Pro 1,000W. 4 Years old from my last build, but I thought it was still going on strong.

Oh, it should be fine then.

I would start with stock settings and testing single graphics card in different PCI-e slots to check if motherboard has all PCI-e slots functional.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Lost me after the 15th sentence. If you have a spare video card, wipe drivers install spare and try again.

Check the HDD(s) with WD Diags, SeaTools or CrystalDisk

Memtest

Sounds like you have your work cut out to narrow it down.

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Great, lol....I wanted this to go as smoothly as possible, but of course...it never is. I'll go ahead and uninstall the GTX 580, try it only with 780, see if I get the same performance in Hawken with all the settings I had before I wiped it clean, and reinstalled Windows, if that works, I'll pop in the 580, compare the two and then I'll go on and check the SSD and RAM...All I wanna do is a game! ='(

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Might I suggest your problem is with your mainboard drivers, of course the wrong chipset drivers will effect your performance and have an impact on gfx performance, you say you couldnt find the Pro V editon drivers so used the vanilla pro, are you aware of the differences? I just did a compare for you and the V has more PCI-E lanes and slots and a host of other differences including a completely diffferent audio chip (Asmedia as opposed to Realtek on the straight Pro), at a guess that is your problem. Think about it, the V has multiple PCI-E slots but your driver is for just one single slot, hence the double card issues you have.

I suggest you do a clean uninstall of all the drivers incuding your NVida drivers and start again, if you go to the Asus UK site you will see they have all the Pro V drivers..... they can be found here........

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z87PROV_EDITION/#support

Good Luck!

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Tatty, I really appreciate the find, man. I really, really do! :D
Not so tech savvy here, but I do understand my way around a few things. Glad there's places like this, with people like you guys and gals, for people like me. What would I do without y'alls knowledge! Lol, I'll go ahead and give that a shot, Tatty, thanks again!!!

I shall post again once I'm out of work and have had the time to actually try this suggested solution, Tatty!

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Ahhh, might've been a little too quick to jump on that one, Tatty, I just checked out that Z87 Pro-V link you sent me...they're exactly the same as the drivers I downloaded the night before my upgrade and put on a CD. Let me show you the ones I downloaded.

http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z87PRO/#support

I think the only difference between the two is that one is wireless and one is not. Back at square one...='(

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Software Win 10 Home x64
Hmmmm I am stumped, do you happen to know what the differences between the 2 boards are then? Same drivers for 2 different boards seems odd, maybe try a support ticket to Asus to ask, in the meantime, try the other suggestion, take out the 580 and start again from the beginning..... checking of course that on board graphics is disabled in Bios.

Processor Intel Core i9-13900K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt Z690-CREATOR WIFI
Cooling Custom water
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32GB DDR5-6400 CL32
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 4090
Storage Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus
Display(s) LG 27GN950-B
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL (Dark Tint)
Power Supply SAMA XP1000W
Mouse DAREU EM901
Keyboard RK ROYAL KLUDGE RK100 (white with blue switches)
[...] Could it have been to do with it being a very...very fresh install of Windows 7 and not having any updates installed whatsoever?

Did you at least have SP1 installed? If not, that could be the issue right there.

By the way, you can integrate all of the latest updates using DISM or a third-party tool such as Win Toolkit. So next time you won't need to wait hours downloading and installing all of those updates.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to update your BIOS/UEFI. ;)

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Thank you, SimpleTech, I appreciate that! I didn't know anything like that existed, lolol, would help ave hours and days! And nope, didn't have SP1 installed.

Also, I checked the BIOs firmware and it's actually the lastest one according to ASUS' website, so might've gotten lucky with that one. :)

Another thing, I just did another fresh install of Windows this morning and so far, no BSODs or anything of the sort, GTX580 is still in there with the GTX780, unplugged the HDD, left me SSD in there by itself, reseated my GPUs and RAM, made sure they were in nice and snug. On my lunch break, I just installed all the drivers/utilities straight from the disc that came with my mobo, since the ones I downloaded I was having a hard time installing...trying to think of what else....I have yet to try any games on it, but another thing I did this time was disable the Integrated Graphics. When I get home, I'll pop in all the windows updates, install Steam and try again.

I wanna try the auto over clock again...but I feel like that would just lead to more problems than I need. =////// I wanna go fast, though!

System Name Ryzen 2023
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700
Motherboard Asrock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory G Skill Flare X5 2x16gb cl32@6000 MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6950 XT Nitro + gaming Oc
Storage WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 64MB 7k SATA600 Blue WD10EZEX, WD Black SN850X 1Tb nvme
Display(s) LG 27GP850P-B
Case Corsair 5000D airflow tempered glass
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-850W
Mouse A4Tech V7M bloody
Keyboard Genius KB-G255
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name EVGA-FX | Lenny (Lenovo Y480)
Processor AMD FX-8320 @ 4.5GHz 1.416v | i7 3610qm
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 | 8gb DDR3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX780 Classified @ 1228MHz 1.615v | GT640m LE
Storage Crucial M500 480GB, WD Caviar Blue 500GB, WD Scorpio Blue 750GB | Samsung 250GB 840
Display(s) Qnix QX2710 1440p | 42" Vizio 3D LCD TV 1080p
Case CoolerMaster HAF XB Evo
Power Supply Seasonic G-650
Software Windows 6.3.9600
Thank you, SimpleTech, I appreciate that! I didn't know anything like that existed, lolol, would help ave hours and days! And nope, didn't have SP1 installed.

Also, I checked the BIOs firmware and it's actually the lastest one according to ASUS' website, so might've gotten lucky with that one. :)

Another thing, I just did another fresh install of Windows this morning and so far, no BSODs or anything of the sort, GTX580 is still in there with the GTX780, unplugged the HDD, left me SSD in there by itself, reseated my GPUs and RAM, made sure they were in nice and snug. On my lunch break, I just installed all the drivers/utilities straight from the disc that came with my mobo, since the ones I downloaded I was having a hard time installing...trying to think of what else....I have yet to try any games on it, but another thing I did this time was disable the Integrated Graphics. When I get home, I'll pop in all the windows updates, install Steam and try again.

I wanna try the auto over clock again...but I feel like that would just lead to more problems than I need. =////// I wanna go fast, though!

Overclocking is best done by reading overclocking guides along with other's successes and failures. Once you feel you have a good understanding of what you need to do, start working on overclocking little by little and testing for stability while watching temps and voltage.

Auto Overclocks can sometimes be good for a quick fix but if you truly want to go fast you need to do it yourself.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Yeah, they definitely are...and I believe they're the ones I've installed. I went about reinstalling everything and not overclocking just yet, system seems more stable than it did yesterday, but now...I seem to have a new problem? In the game Hawken, I have the Physx set to High, not on "On", or "Off", but High...and it acts, I'm guessin', like it's just set to "On".

When I set it to High and jump in a match to test out the Physx, I shoot the ground with a rocket expecting to see a little debris...there's like, one rock that'll pop out of the ground. When an enemy has been defeated their mech is supposed to explode into a glorious ball of this red turbulence light plus debris...and there's nothing of that.

I'm more than sure it's working though, because I tried PLA game which is a DX11 and Physx benchmark, I even installed Fluidmark. I wonder if it would have something to do with only just Hawken? Anyone else running into this problem?

GTX 780Ti is main and my GTX 580 is for Physx, latest drivers installed and all.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
Simple solution..... sell the 580! There is absolutey no need at your res to have a dedicated Physx card with a 780Ti :)

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Lolol, thanks, Tatty! I'll keep that in mind! I just got done playing Warframe...and my god...Physx effects in that game are so awesome!

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Lolol, thanks, Tatty! I'll keep that in mind! I just got done playing Warframe...and my god...Physx effects in that game are so awesome!
You don't need a dedicated physx card to use physx. I would pull that 580 out.

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
I agree with Tatty and Aquinus. At 1200p with a 780ti, you do not need a dedicated PhysX card, that's coming from a ti owner that games at 1600p.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
With the power it pulls and the heat it produces its probably doing more bad then good

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
Really, guys? Dang...good to know...I just wanted to be on the safe side, lol. No dips anywhere in a Physx enabled game is what I wanted, but now....I dunno what is going on...can't seem to game for no longer than a few minutes with it randomly crashing...on different games...could it be a driver issue? I have the latest installed....my PSU is more than adequate enough for the amount of power I'm pullin' from the cards...umm....I can't really think of anything else right now...games are just crashin' left and right now, lol.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
So you have on board IGP graphics disabled and the correct "primary" PCI-E slot correctly identifed in the Bios to match where the 780 is located? Does the same problem exisit without the 580 with Physx enabled?

System Name The blob!
Case AZZA Hurrican
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores WHAT!?
IGP is disabled, yes, and I believe I do...it's in the upper most slot of the PCI-E lanes, and other than that, I have yet to mess with anything in the BIOs, all default, 'cept for the XMP settings for my RAM.

And to be honest, Tatty....I haven't even had the time to try that. >_<!!!! I'll be getting out of work late today, but as soon as I get home, I'll go ahead and test that.

Plus, one more thing, would anyone know the difference in the Nvidia Control Panel under the Physx settings, it has a tick box, that says "Dedicated Physx GPU" ? In the drivers I used to have, that option ha never been there before...and was wondering what the difference between having that box ticked and unticked but still have the GTX580 selected for Physx...what the difference was there...?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Software Win 10 Home x64
IGP is disabled, yes, and I believe I do...it's in the upper most slot of the PCI-E lanes, and other than that, I have yet to mess with anything in the BIOs, all default, 'cept for the XMP settings for my RAM.

And to be honest, Tatty....I haven't even had the time to try that. >_<!!!! I'll be getting out of work late today, but as soon as I get home, I'll go ahead and test that.

Plus, one more thing, would anyone know the difference in the Nvidia Control Panel under the Physx settings, it has a tick box, that says "Dedicated Physx GPU" ? In the drivers I used to have, that option ha never been there before...and was wondering what the difference between having that box ticked and unticked but still have the GTX580 selected for Physx...what the difference was there...?
With the box unticked in the control panel it should only use the 780 and not the 580.