• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

poopiepants

I think I have everything setup properly, but my realtek audio devices are listed as 2 channels.
I have tested 5.1 using battlefield and it sounds like 5.1.
Is there anyway to test and make sure the game is really using 5.1?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• dolby.jpg
    dolby.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 4,548
Last edited:
I think I have everything setup properly, but my realtek audio devices are listed as 2 channels.

You can test this video

It's Dolby Digital 5.1 Channel Check Video (FL,FC,FR,BL,BR,LFE)

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Asus said to me that the DTS Interactive works only through HDMI and that I have to change the S/PDIF setting in bios to HDMI. I doubt this because in my knowledge DTS Interactive encodes the audio into DTS 5.1, 48 khz, 1506 kbps and normal S/PDIF (coaxial or optical) can transmit that. My receiver only has optical and coaxial digital inputs (no HDMIs) so I can't even try that.
I'm really tired of this thing. Asus says on its' website that my motherboard has a native support for DTS Connect. So it should work with normal drivers. Seems to me they don't know a thing about the hardware they manufacture. Maybe this motherboard nowadays contains ALC892 and not the ALC892-DTS-CG (which is DTS compatible) due to saving in manufacturing costs... who knows... and it's impossible for customer to check it....

DTS is compatible via any digital cable, this includes HDMI-out, Fibre or Digital Coaxial.

Maybe that specific ASUS board has an obscure limitation as far as SPDIF. But in general it should work.

You can test this video

That won't help much. That file is already pre-encoded in Dolby Digital. It won't prove that his games is running Dolby Digital correctly.

Check your AV receiver, is the Dolby Digital light on!

poopiepants

DTS is compatible via any digital cable, this includes HDMI-out, Fibre or Digital Coaxial.

Maybe that specific ASUS board has an obscure limitation as far as SPDIF. But in general it should work.

That won't help much. That file is already pre-encoded in Dolby Digital. It won't prove that his games is running Dolby Digital correctly.

Check your AV receiver, is the Dolby Digital light on!

I am plugging it into an Astro A50 headset via the Digital optical in the back.
It doesn't have any type of display information information.

After I unlocked my driver (R2.72)

I uninstall it. Thin installed the original R2.73. After that replaced the original RtkAPO64.dll by the unlocked RtkAPO64.dll. Finally I reboot it and BOOM it's still working on R2.73!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
After I upgrade my system to 8.1, I get "failed to play test tone".
So what the problem?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update1: I fix it with R2.71. And it Work again.
ALC898
Win 8.1 Pro
64Bit

This is the method that I used:
1. Uninstall the old driver (R2.71, R2.72 or R2.73).
2. Reboot your PC with "disabled driver signature enforcement".
3. Install the Unlocked driver: R2.71 in This Link or R2.72 in This Link. It will ask you to continue because it's not signed, just continue.
4. Reboot your PC with "disabled driver signature enforcement" again.
5. Open Realtek HD Audio Manager, And choose what you want [DDL or DTS].

--------------------------------------

But there is a problem.
Every time you should boot with "disabled driver signature enforcement", Or you will have no sound at all.

Update2: I fix it by using these commands

In Command Prompt (Run As Administrator)
Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON

Now my pc work with driver R2.72.

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
I am plugging it into an Astro A50 headset via the Digital optical in the back.
It doesn't have any type of display information information.

Think its an obscure limitation of the motherboard. I did a quick google search and many other people have managed to get Dolby Digital Live working with the Astro A50 headset. Also found a review that got Dolby Digital Live working with the Creative Soundblaster Z Soundcard. So the blame is likely pointing to your motherboard's audio.

http://www.forgegaming.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=728

Think its an obscure limitation of the motherboard. I did a quick google search and many other people have managed to get Dolby Digital Live working with the Astro A50 headset. Also found a review that got Dolby Digital Live working with the Creative Soundblaster Z Soundcard. So the blame is likely pointing to your motherboard's audio.

http://www.forgegaming.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=728

Actually I use this driver (The unlocked R2.72) with the Astro A50 Headset. With Dolby Digital Live. And working perfectly.

Asus P6T (x58) with ALC1200. Windows 7 64bit
R2.73 - DTS Interactive
Thx 4 all!

:peace:

Last edited:

bsletu

-------------------------------------- [COLOR=#ff4d4d said:
Update2: I fix it by using these commands[/COLOR]

In Command Prompt (Run As Administrator)
Code:
bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON
bcdedit /set nointegritychecks ON

Now my pc work with driver R2.72.

Not work with windows 8.1 .

potatogod

OK it does work r2.71

Was trying to change to DDL too early.

Sounds really good on games. But my mobo already had an option for DTS interactive, but this sounds better.. I think..
Stick with DTS, it's the better one of the two. DTS uses the full 1536kbit/s bandwidth of SPDIF/optical, while DDL only uses 640kbit/s.

bsletu

I only get 2.0 channels on Naruto.Shippuden . DDL not working in cutscene of many games . In Lords of shadow , Front channels was wrong with Rear channels .

System Name My baby
I only get 2.0 channels on Naruto.Shippuden . DDL not working in cutscene of many games . In Lords of shadow , Front channels was wrong with Rear channels .

The content you're playing has to be 5 channel PCM for DDL to output accurate DDL 5.1, otherwise you'll only get DD 2.0 outputted to the speakers.

LordLeech

I created an account JUST to post. Thank you SO much for this! I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and I can confirm that this works great! I also patched the official 6559 driver from the website and that works fine.

For those having trouble:
1.) Download the Realtek driver and it extract it to a folder (anywhere, just remember WHERE)
2.) Download the patch that relates to YOU - 32 bit or 64 bit. (You can right click on Computer and left click on Properties. Look at SYSTEM TYPE (win 7) )
3.) extract the patch to your newly downloaded driver folder - (Mine went here -> Realtek_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(6559)\Audio(6559)\Vista64 )
4.) Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and uninstall the old Realtek driver. (You can run Driver Sweeper at this point as well)
5.) Reboot, but press F8 while booting so you see the Start Up menu. Choose "Ignore driver signing"
6.) Once Windows loads, install the patched driver. If it complains about the driver, tell it to install anyway.
7.) Reboot once more, same as #5 above.

I have an older Sony home theater receiver that came from Wal-mart in 2004. It has DTS and that's what I am using.

So far, I have tested it in Far Cry 3 and it works AWESOME.

*Note*
I found a utility on NGOHQ that helps with the driver signing issue. I am new to these forums, so I dunno if I am allowed to post this. Thanks!

http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Last edited:

bsletu

I created an account JUST to post. Thank you SO much for this! I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme4 and I can confirm that this works great! I also patched the official 6559 driver from the website and that works fine.

For those having trouble:
1.) Download the Realtek driver and it extract it to a folder (anywhere, just remember WHERE)
2.) Download the patch that relates to YOU - 32 bit or 64 bit. (You can right click on Computer and left click on Properties. Look at SYSTEM TYPE (win 7) )
3.) extract the patch to your newly downloaded driver folder - (Mine went here -> Realtek_Win7-64_Win7_Vista64_Vista_XP64_XP(6559)\Audio(6559)\Vista64 )
4.) Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features and uninstall the old Realtek driver. (You can run Driver Sweeper at this point as well)
5.) Reboot, but press F8 while booting so you see the Start Up menu. Choose "Ignore driver signing"
6.) Once Windows loads, install the patched driver. If it complains about the driver, tell it to install anyway.
7.) Reboot once more, same as #5 above.

I have an older Sony home theater receiver that came from Wal-mart in 2004. It has DTS and that's what I am using.

So far, I have tested it in Far Cry 3 and it works AWESOME.

*Note*
I found a utility on NGOHQ that helps with the driver signing issue. I am new to these forums, so I dunno if I am allowed to post this. Thanks!

http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo
what's your OS ?

Smyegel

Hey just a Question to you guys , i have followed the guide and installed the drivers but when i try to run a test it just says failed to play test tone...
I have the ALC982 ... What can i be doing wrong ?
I Have a Astro A40 Connected to Optical btw...

Thank You For all help :)

Attachments

• ALC892.png
    ALC892.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 1,459
Set the audio output to DTS, then do not click 'test' as this will cause issues.
Simply follow the instruction provided to swap the driver files over to enable DTS output.

Once it is set you can then use alternative applications and audio sources to test its working correctly, using the test button in the audio properties will cause it to fail.
As posted previously, you could use the AC3 audio test files....

You can test this video

Jarriaga89

I created an account just to post in this thread.

First of all, thank you very much for the discovery and the hard work. I'm amazed the sound processing features are actually locked by drivers and manufacturers don't even let you pay for the licence if you want it.

I have the Asus H87I-Plus motherboard using the Realtek ALC887, and Windows 8.1 x64.

I can confirm the full modified driver installation (Disabling driver signature verification) works for me, but nothing else works. Having to restart disabling driver signature verification every time is a pain though, but that's because of the needlessly long process you need to follow on W8.1 to trigger this mode. The start/stop bat that replaces the unlocked driver with the default one is not working on my system (Unless I'm doing something wrong).

Last edited:

RockLoi

For the past year at least I was using Dolby Digital Live for games, just with the normal Realtek drivers. Last week I upgraded to 2.73 and DDL options just disappeared. Now I'm left only with SPDIF passthrough, which doesn't work for games.

Is the need for this hack new? It's pretty irritating that I'm going to have to restart in unsigned driver mode every single time I use my computer when it was working a week ago.

W8.1 64bit
Using onboard audio on Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3 P67

System Name My baby
For the past year at least I was using Dolby Digital Live for games, just with the normal Realtek drivers. Last week I upgraded to 2.73 and DDL options just disappeared. Now I'm left only with SPDIF passthrough, which doesn't work for games.

Is the need for this hack new? It's pretty irritating that I'm going to have to restart in unsigned driver mode every single time I use my computer when it was working a week ago.

W8.1 64bit
Using onboard audio on Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3 P67

Why don't you uninstall the drivers and reinstall the old ones. Or do a system restore.

maksimlya

Hi, registered just to reply here. Confirmed the unlocked drivers to be working on my asus maximus vi hero motherboard with alc1150 on R2.73 8.1 64-bit version.
So far it seems to be fully working with my phillips hts3538 dolby home theater(optical in). thanks alot to the publisher. cheers.
121.jpg

maksimlya

why can't I hear sound from rear speakers when watching youtube/ect? shouldn't my receiver convert the stereo signal to surround?

System Name My baby
why can't I hear sound from rear speakers when watching youtube/ect? shouldn't my receiver convert the stereo signal to surround?

Why would you? Most YouTube videos are people talking, speech should be coming out of the center speaker predominantly.

maksimlya

well, even watching movies online output only to front speakers. when i used normal stereo output, the receiver converted it to surround sound. with ddl only the front speakers work with stereo.

System Name My baby
well, even watching movies online output only to front speakers. when i used normal stereo output, the receiver converted it to surround sound. with ddl only the front speakers work with stereo.

There is definitely a problem then in movies, most of the audio is from the center speaker only. Only partial ambient noises are supposed to be from the fronts and rears.

Within the Realtek panel is there a Prologic IIx feature? You should be able to apply Dolby Digital Live and Prologic together.