• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

gigabyte hd6950 sensors suddenly dead?

lordofscones

The fan on this card suddenly ramped up to 100%--noisy as anything!
After multiple restarts the fan remained at 100%. Looking in catalyst, there is no sensor information at all, except the temperature listed as -128 degrees c.
I am guessing my sensors have died and the card is maxing out the fan as a safety precaution?
Attempts to manually adjust fan speed have no affect (via several fan utilities I tried.)
There are no other graphical glitches or problems apart from the fan speed and apparent lack of sensor info.

Anyone have any experience with this, advice or information that might help?

Just some further info: catalyst drivers are up to date. Haven't checked firmware on card recently, but it would seem strange it would suddenly be affected like this. No other changes on computer recently I can think of that might affect it.

Many thanks in advance.-

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
The fan on this card suddenly ramped up to 100%--noisy as anything!
After multiple restarts the fan remained at 100%. Looking in catalyst, there is no sensor information at all, except the temperature listed as -128 degrees c.
I am guessing my sensors have died and the card is maxing out the fan as a safety precaution?
Attempts to manually adjust fan speed have no affect (via several fan utilities I tried.)
There are no other graphical glitches or problems apart from the fan speed and apparent lack of sensor info.

Anyone have any experience with this, advice or information that might help?

Just some further info: catalyst drivers are up to date. Haven't checked firmware on card recently, but it would seem strange it would suddenly be affected like this. No other changes on computer recently I can think of that might affect it.

Many thanks in advance.-

Your username is awfully British. You should slink right into the TPU UK Clubhouse ;)
With regards to the 128 degree temps, do you have any access to the GPU fan header? Should be at the far end of the card with 4 cables. You could solder that into a molex adapter and use different resistors to tame it down anywhere between 1v and 12v to control the speeds. It's done on some of the Arctic Accelero Extreme custom coolers.

EDIT: And yes, your sensors are dead, unless you flashed your BIOS.

Last edited:

lordofscones

Your username is awfully British. You should slink right into the TPU UK Clubhouse ;)
With regards to the 128 degree temps, do you have any access to the GPU fan header? Should be at the far end of the card with 4 cables. You could solder that into a molex adapter and use different resistors to tame it down anywhere between 1v and 12v to control the speeds. It's done on some of the Arctic Accelero Extreme custom coolers.

EDIT: And yes, your sensors are dead, unless you flashed your BIOS.

Thanks for that. Whether or not I have have access to the fan header, I'm probably not skilled enough to fiddle with it, so I'll call it "dead".
It seems an awful waste for a whole card to now be useless because of such a tiny failure. I might try get on to gigagbyte and whinge in their ear a bit. (not that I think it will do any good)
Thanks again for your response.
(I'm not British, but was desperate for a username no one else had...and this was the first one that was accepted.)

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Thanks for that. Whether or not I have have access to the fan header, I'm probably not skilled enough to fiddle with it, so I'll call it "dead".
It seems an awful waste for a whole card to now be useless because of such a tiny failure. I might try get on to gigagbyte and whinge in their ear a bit. (not that I think it will do any good)
Thanks again for your response.
(I'm not British, but was desperate for a username no one else had...and this was the first one that was accepted.)

It's not useless at all! All you have to do is unplug the fan cable from the GPU PCB on the card and plug it into a normal molex power connector. You can buy little resistors, say 7v, and it will tone the fans down a bit.

lordofscones

It's not useless at all! All you have to do is unplug the fan cable from the GPU PCB on the card and plug it into a normal molex power connector. You can buy little resistors, say 7v, and it will tone the fans down a bit.

Ah, yes...I will give that a shot first. Thanks.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Or, as a alternative, download something like Afterburner, ensure in settings it is set to start up with windows, manually set the fan speed because often Afteburner will override CCC settings, may be a longshot but worth a try!

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Or, as a alternative, download something like Afterburner, ensure in settings it is set to start up with windows, manually set the fan speed because often Afteburner will override CCC settings, may be a longshot but worth a try!

If that doesn't work, this is the cable I was talking about, it's just a standard 4 pin fan header, you might be able to get an adaptor to plug it into a molex

lordofscones

Just as an update:
I ended up opening the card (it is surrounded by one of those plastic all-encasing sleeves) and a part (what I assume to be the sensor) dropped straight out. It was a flat little circular piece, a but like a small coin or battery. I located where it had come from (right next to the fan) and made a rudimentary attempt to solder it back into place--which failed (I can solder big clunky stuff, but this was a pretty fine job).

So I have ended up just plugging in the existing fan to a chassis fan plug on the motherboard, which seems to do the job. I'll just have to monitor the heat for a while and make sure the card doesn't melt.
Cheers!

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Glad you have resolved the issue, if the solder is difficult, just get a very small piece of electrical tape and stick the sensor on......... if that does not work I still think the software control through an aftermarket app like MSI Afterburner "could" give you more control.