• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Biostar Hi-Fi A88W 3D (AMD FM2+)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
We take our first look at AMD's FM2+ platform with a value-oriented product from Biostar that boasts some upgraded audio abilities. The Biostar Hi-Fi A88W 3D comes with the focus and feature set that has become Biostar's calling, as the company has its own take on entry-level enthusiast designs.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:

GLD

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X, AMD Wraith Prism.
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570-Plus (Wi-Fi).
Cooling Antec 120mm RGB case fans.
Memory 4x8gb, G.SKILL F4-3600C16D-16GVKC.
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6700.
Storage PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB 4.0x4 NVMe ssd with Vantec ICEBERQ heat sink.
Display(s) ASUS VP278QG 27", 1080p, 75hz, FreeSync.
Case Antec GX202.
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound, Logitech Z625 THX 2.1's, Logitech G430 headphones.
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750.
Mouse Logitech G203 Prodigy.
Keyboard Logitech G213.
Software Windows 11 Pro, @ Day 1.
I liked the review, but really think the board should have been tested with a Kaveri chip as that is what the board is, a FM2+ board.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I liked the review, but really think the board should have been tested with a Kaveri chip as that is what the board is, a FM2+ board.
Take that up with AMD. :p I did ask Biostar about using A10-6800K, too, since I feel as you do, but they preferred timely review rather than waiting for AMD to send me a chip.

If you want to send me one, I'll gladly re-bench. :roll:

Seriously. ;)

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
One of the better looking chipset/VRM heatsink designs out there. I like it.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
I still don't understand why they still add PCI to modern motherboards. Not only do they have to use PCI-E anyways, they need to use a PCI-E-to-PCI bridge to make them work... and it's not even that. You also need more traces through the motherboard for 62-pin connectors (PCI) than 18-pin connectors (PCI-E 1x).

I would like to start seeing more PCI-E 1x slots and no more PCI slots. It seems like a waste of space and money when most could settle for just PCI-E.

Other than that, it looks like a pretty nifty board. Good review, Dave.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
I still don't understand why they still add PCI to modern motherboards. Not only do they have to use PCI-E anyways, they need to use a PCI-E-to-PCI bridge to make them work.

I would like to start seeing more PCI-E 1x slots and no more PCI slots. It seems like a waste of space and money when most could settle for just PCI-E.

cause there are addon cards (like sound cards) that are diesing and manufactured still for pci

dave are you sure missing sli should be added in cons for this mb. cf is more suitable there.
otherwise great review.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
cause there are addon cards (like sound cards) that are diesing and manufactured still for pci

dave are you sure missing sli should be added in cons for this mb.

There are also a lot of audio cards that use PCI-E. It's not like you're limiting your options by leaps and bounds by not having PCI. The last time I used PCI was for an 802.11b adapter almost a decade ago I think. o_O

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
There are also a lot of audio cards that use PCI-E. It's not like you're limiting your options by leaps and bounds by not having PCI. o_O
well that is the problem. wth when pci-e is avialable aib partners still design pci audio (or any other type) cards. :confused:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

dave are you sure missing sli should be added in cons for this mb. cf is more suitable there.
otherwise great review.

I do not feel that APUs are slow, and that they are good for lightweight usage. As such, building a smaller SLi pair with an APU is just like using Crossfire with an APU, so it would be nice if it was offered, since there is no other similar solution for NVidia users.

I mean, my 780 paired with the APU managed to hang out with the Intel rigs in quite a few tests....

One of the better looking chipset/VRM heatsink designs out there. I like it.

Personally, I love the fact that the design for this board almost feels like a $200 or so product, but it should cost half as much. Bringing that level of design and esthetics to cheaper products doesn't cost OEMs much, and really completes the entire package. It's a good-looking board with really decent audio that's light on the wallet, for a value-oriented platform...or in other words...perfect. ;)

I still don't understand why they still add PCI to modern motherboards. Not only do they have to use PCI-E anyways, they need to use a PCI-E-to-PCI bridge to make them work... and it's not even that. You also need more traces through the motherboard for 62-pin connectors (PCI) than 18-pin connectors (PCI-E 1x).

Since it is an audio-focused board, and many devices for audio still use PCI, I really cannot have any issue with them including PCI slots here. I could think of many a DAW out there that could use this board and a new card for multi-monitor.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
I do not feel that APUs are slow, and that they are good for lightweight usage. As such, building a smaller SLi pair with an APU is just like using Crossfire with an APU, so it would be nice if it was offered, since there is no other similar solution for NVidia users.

I mean, my 780 paired with the APU managed to hang out with the Intel rigs in quite a few tests....

hm i skipped first few pages yesterday and missed those 2x pciex16 but it is kind of strange to have cf support but to dont have sli. what is that difference between sli and cf that prevents to have both avialable if one of them is already avialable. thay have made cf support (both apu+gpu or 2x gpus). why not sli too? :confused:

Since it is an audio-focused board, and many devices for audio still use PCI, I really cannot have any issue with them including PCI slots here. I could think of many a DAW out there that could use this board and a new card for multi-monitor.
point here was why there are still so many devices for pci yet. we have pcie for 10 years but addon cards are still designed for pci. cutting pci controller from sb will make sb cheaper or it can be relpaced with something usefull like additional usb 3 or sata.
takes too much time to drop support for obsolate tech. same was with pata and ddr2 (remember ddr2+ddr3 on same board).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
hm i skipped first few pages yesterday and missed those 2x pciex16 but it is kind of strange to have cf support but to dont have sli. what is that difference between sli and cf that prevents to have both avialable if one of them is already avialable. thay have made cf support (both apu+gpu or 2x gpus). why not sli too? :confused:

Theyy have to pay Nvidia a liscencing fee, as far as I understand, which allows them to add code to BIOS which allows SLi when the system powers up.

point here was why there are still so many devices for pci yet. we have pcie for 10 years but addon cards are still designed for pci. cutting pci controller from sb will make sb cheaper or it can be relpaced with something usefull like additional usb 3 or sata.
takes too much time to drop support for obsolate tech. same was with pata and ddr2 (remember ddr2+ddr3 on same board).

The PCI controllers often used today are PCI-to-PCIe bridges, which means that there is no PCI support in the chipsets made by AMD and Intel. This is why I have no problem with PCI still being in use...since it's actually fairly rare, and usually only included in boards that are targeted at users that will need it, like this one. Far too many MIDI audio devices use PCI still.

shjipmaker50

Ive bought the new a10 7850k fm2+ socket . so far no luck getting it to work. even though the board is supposed to support an FM2+ socket . Amd no help. Biostar is working on it . we'll see. May have to get different processor to use board for now . if anyone knows anything to help would be apprecited