• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New build for XP replacement

jamesa917

I'm planning to build my parents a new PC to replace their old Windows XP machine (AMD Athlon XP 3000+, ASUS K8N motherboard, 2GB RAM, 1TB Western Digital HDD, Radeon X800 GTO, Corsair HX520 PSU). I haven't built a PC in over five years so I wanted to check I'm not missing anything/making any bad choices.

My parents will probably want to keep this computer for as long as possible, so I want it to be future proof, but they only use it for web browsing, occasional video streaming and their photos (Google Picasa), so it doesn't need an amazing graphics card etc.

Here's what I was planning:
...which comes in at £420 + buying Windows 8.1 (hopefully I can get that cheap as I'm a student).

What do people think/anything at all I've missed? (I think the motherboard comes with a couple of SATA cables and I'll get a few screws). I'm planning to use the integrated HD4600 for now as I can always add discrete graphics in future if necessary - I'm assuming this motherboard/CPU combination will work for that? Things like front & back USB 3.0 are good for keeping it future proof.

I considered reusing the current HDD but that's getting a bit old too so probably best to replace. Thanks for any advice.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Sometimes Amazon isn't always cheapest. As a UK member, I recommend you check PCPartPicker UK, as well as:
OCUK, Aria, Novatech, Dabs, Ebuyer, Scan, CCL Online

As for the main topic, I recommend a lesser version of that i5, which is cheaper. The extra 100mhz won't make much difference to web browsing. You could also consider a Kaveri FM2+ system.

@ne6togadno @BarbaricSoul

System Name Barb's Domain
Processor i9 10850k 5.1GHz all cores
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool Assassin III
Memory 2*16gig Corsair LPX DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4080 FE
Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Case SilverStone Fortress FT04
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion II speakers, Corsair - HS70 PRO headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (2021)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech Orion Spectrum G910
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/34962882
You have gone way over-kill. For what you parent will be using the computer for, they will never need a i5 CPU. Give me a few minutes and I'll post a suggested build, plus a couple of my build buddies will be long, like opps, my buddy RCoon is already here

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
You have gone way over-kill. For what you parent will be using the computer for, they will never need a i5 CPU. Give me a few minutes and I'll post a suggested build, plus a couple of my build buddies will be long, like opps, my buddy RCoon is already here

WTF i literally just typed your name and you posted. Like the goddamned candyman.

Also, on a side note, OP - you can probably afford to drop down to 300W 80Plus Bronze rated or less. A system running without a dedicated GPU will consume almost nothing in terms of power, maybe as little as 150W if that. Web browsing/youtube doesn't require a dedicated GPU at all, not even in the future. It would provide no benefit.

Storage 500gb Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, 500GB WD Blue SATA SSD, 2TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Display(s) Dell - S3222DGM 32" 2k Curved/ASUS VP28UQG 28" 4K (ran at 2k), Sanyo 75" 4k TV
Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
You did the exact samething to me

Hey jamesa917, this build will do what you want and is considerable less expensive than what you are looking at- http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3lesk

+1 to this build, awesome budget case, nice PSU. OP could switch to intel if he so desired and drop the GPU for integrated, entirely down to whether he wants dedicated GPU and what not. CPU is nice and GPU is pretty awesome for what it's worth xD I'd be half tempted to up the motherboard, but that's coming from a gamer's point of view.

Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
+1 to this build, awesome budget case, nice PSU. OP could switch to intel if he so desired and drop the GPU for integrated, entirely down to whether he wants dedicated GPU and what not. CPU is nice and GPU is pretty awesome for what it's worth xD I'd be half tempted to up the motherboard, but that's coming from a gamer's point of view.

here's a Intel build suggestion- http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3leze

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
So jamesa917, you are being kinda quiet there. Do you have any questions about the build suggestions?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
With all of that savings from @BarbaricSoul rigs that he threw together, you should probably invest in an SSD. I think it's worth it and that is the next gift from me to my parents for their computer... or laptop.

jamesa917

Thanks for the replied RCoon/BarbaricSoul - I agree that it is overkill, but bear in my parents are likely to keep this PC for about 10 years like they did with the XP machine! I'd rather it was more powerful than they need and snappy for everything than a bit laggy in three years time.

Ebuyer and Amazon seemed more or less the same price so I chose Amazon for better customer service as I'm not too worried about a price difference £10-20 overall, but I will shop around a bit (I hadn't heard of PCPartPicker so thanks for that).

The XFX PSU you've chosen isn't for sale from Maplin anymore but I'll definitely check something a bit less powerful like the Corsair CX 430. AMD vs Intel doesn't matter too much to me, but I get the impression Intel are pretty dominant again nowadays so naturally went for them. What's the performance difference between Pentium, i3 and i5?

Is there any particular reason for the NZXT case over the Gigabyte one I chose? I'm not too fussed about it so I chose a cheap one from a brand I recognised. I'd go for 8 GB of RAM as it's fairly cheap anyway, although I admit that 4GB would probably be enough.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Thanks for the replied RCoon/BarbaricSoul - I agree that it is overkill, but bear in my parents are likely to keep this PC for about 10 years like they did with the XP machine! I'd rather it was more powerful than they need and snappy for everything than a bit laggy in three years time.

Ebuyer and Amazon seemed more or less the same price so I chose Amazon for better customer service as I'm not too worried about a price difference £10-20 overall, but I will shop around a bit (I hadn't heard of PCPartPicker so thanks for that).

The XFX PSU you've chosen isn't for sale from Maplin anymore but I'll definitely check something a bit less powerful like the Corsair CX 430. AMD vs Intel doesn't matter too much to me, but I get the impression Intel are pretty dominant again nowadays so naturally went for them. What's the performance difference between Pentium, i3 and i5?

Is there any particular reason for the NZXT case over the Gigabyte one I chose? I'm not too fussed about it so I chose a cheap one from a brand I recognised. I'd go for 8 GB of RAM as it's fairly cheap anyway, although I admit that 4GB would probably be enough.

If your parents don't do much more than watch video, browse the web, use office, do email, and manage photos (like mine), you don't need more than a Pentium. Almost any CPU will do fine. For tasks like these, performance issues tend to be memory capacity or disk I/O related. So with that said, consider an SSD and a Pentium will work just as well as an i7 for these purposes. Actually, an APU would probably be the better deal, maybe one of those new low-tdp APUs? :)

Edit: Ugh, I think those low-tdp CPUs never made it to market. Where the heck are there? :confused:

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

The i5 I'm not sure will be worth it, as in 10 years time, the issue will not necesarrily be the amount of threads, as oppose to the speed of the individual threads. You'd be better off financially going to the i3/pentium with a reasonable core speed. That plus an SSD would make this system run like a trooper.

As I said before, if you skip out on a GPU entirely, you will need 300w MAX on your PSU. A good quality Antec Earthwatts 300W Bronze would be perfect.

As for the case, the NZXT Source 210 is the greatest budget case ever made ever ever. We always recommend it for it's excellent layout and cooling potential.

I feel the SSD combined with a high clocked i3 would last the longest. 8GB is a wonderful idea however.

EDIT: There's a nice offer on amazon for the new Crucial M500 SSD's, you can grab a 240GB SSD for a bargain, or a 120 for even less. Check it out. £84 for 240GB SSD!

Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
With all of that savings from @BarbaricSoul rigs that he threw together, you should probably invest in an SSD. I think it's worth it and that is the next gift from me to my parents for their computer... or laptop.

Both my build suggestions have a SSHD. I have one in my main rig and while it's not as fast as a actual SSD, it is quite nice and fast.

Exactly like Aquinus and RCoon just posted, your parents will be better off focusing on RAM and a fast hybrid SSHD or a SSD/HD combo. For what you said your parents will be using the computer for, a Pentium CPU or any AMD quad core will be more than enough.

As for the difference between Pentium, i3 and i5, and i7 for that matter

Pentium= 2 cores, 2 processing threads, no hyper-threading
i3= 2 core, 4 processing threads, hyper-threading enabled
i5= 4 cores, 4 processing threads, no hyper-threading
i7= 4 core, 8 processing threads, hyper-threading enabled

Almost forgot, about the NZXT case, it is just a very good budget case that has good cable management abilities. I have one myself, and for $40, the thing is about the best bang for the buck case available today.

jamesa917

Thanks for all the advice so far! I'll need to double check how much space my parents are using at the moment before going for an SSD as 500GB drives still seem pretty pricey, so SSHD seems a good compromise.

I'll definitely drop the i5.

jamesa917

One question about dual channel RAM:

I know some motherboards can be picky about non-identical sticks of RAM. If I get a motherboard with four RAM slots, and buy one matched pair now, would it be ok to buy a different matched pair later and still have dual channel working?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
One question about dual channel RAM:

I know some motherboards can be picky about non-identical sticks of RAM. If I get a motherboard with four RAM slots, and buy one matched pair now, would it be ok to buy a different matched pair later and still have dual channel working?

If the RAM is CL9 1600mhz then all you need to do is buy ANY RAM that is 1600mhz CL9 and it will match each other regardless of brand. Ensure the voltage is the same too.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
My 2 cents including OS, SSD, 8GB
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3lfai

EDIT: OP, I have 150 x 250GB HDD's sat next to me. I'll send you a couple for free (only because you're in the UK) if you just pay the postage. Ranging from Maxtor, Hitachi, WD and Seagate

Last edited:

jamesa917

My 2 cents including OS, SSD, 8GB
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3lfai

EDIT: OP, I have 150 x 250GB HDD's sat next to me. I'll send you a couple for free (only because you're in the UK) if you just pay the postage. Ranging from Maxtor, Hitachi, WD and Seagate

Thanks for the offer - I always have the 1TB drive in the old PC so I can use that if necessary!

I'm thinking a build along the lines you just chose would be ideal; I just have to decide on the hard drive. A 240GB drive might be enough for my parents, but my mum has an ever growing collection of photos and videos of her grandchildren so I need a decent overhead. Dual hard drives is an option but will inevitably lead to problems when my parents manage to save everything on the wrong drive!

Mouse Logitech G502
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Thanks for the offer - I always have the 1TB drive in the old PC so I can use that if necessary!

I'm thinking a build along the lines you just chose would be ideal; I just have to decide on the hard drive. A 240GB drive might be enough for my parents, but my mum has an ever growing collection of photos and videos of her grandchildren so I need a decent overhead. Dual hard drives is an option but will inevitably lead to problems when my parents manage to save everything on the wrong drive!

with that in mind, I recommend the same SSHD drive I'm using- http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st2000dx001

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
dual hard drives will inevitably lead to problems when my parents manage to save everything on the wrong drive!

Set defaut shortcut location for Documents and Windows' Libraries to the Data drive. Also set default Download location in browser to data drive ;) Granted, where there's a will to bugger up, they will find a way.

In case anyone is wondering why I have so many HDD's - feelsgoodtobegypsy. Either way I can't legally sell them on through work, but I can't use them as all machines in my workplace use SSD's only. Literally we hand them out to anyone who asks.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
I think that'll end up being the best balance of space/speed/value.
and you will make a mistake.
for about 20 more you can have 120gb ssd+2tb hdd
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3lg0W
sorry for delay but i didnt got tagging notification

edit:
if you really want snappy system for long time invest in 8gb+ ram and make ramdisk.

System Name WorstEVER
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E
Memory G.Skill 8GB (2x4GB) Sniper, DDR3 1600MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.35V
Video Card(s) 7970 Matrix Platinum
Storage Samsung 840EVO / Samsung F1
Display(s) Crossover Blacktune 2763 AMG "PP"
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 Gold
Software Win7 x64 ultimate
Benchmark Scores over 9000
oh dam some of those pc components are expencive in uk if I pay attention to exchange rate of the euro