• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Circuit Box - HAF XB mod

I was going to do my next mod in a Switch 810. That was until the HAF XB came out and I HAD to have one. This build will be fully watecooled and build around an i7-3770k and a pair of XFX 6870's and will feature a black and green theme with custom windows and LOTS of sweet laser-cut accessories from my good friend Thomas at White Light Laser.

First off HUGE thanks to my current sponsors Lepa, Enermax and Performance-PCs.com!

I started off by taking out the factory mesh on the top panel and made a window for it.

Next up I started getting some hardware mounted so I could figure out the routing for my tubing. The board shown here is just for mock-up.

Next I drilled mounting holes for the pump mount and mounted the pump.

Then I drilled holes for the reservoir mount. Being that this case is short and fat rather than the typical tall and skinny I decided to mount the res to the back panel.

Here's a shot with the board and GPU's I'll be using. I'll be using my current XFX 6870's paired with their EK blocks. The board shown here I'll be using along with an i7-3770k and the EK block shown here. I still need to strip the block mounting bracket from the last mod and repaint it black for this one. I also plan to remove the MB heatskink setup and paint the blue trim pieces green to match the rest of the mod.

And last up a shot of the green/black paracord I'll be using to sleeve all the cables for the mod.

I've got some Mayhem's pastel mint green coolant mixed up and waiting for the build as well. I think the whole black and green theme will look killer in this.

I'm also debating on adding another 120mm rad in the floor in the 5.25" drive bays for some extra cooling, but we'll see.

Time for an update :D

The two 6870 waterblocks were starting to get slightly stained, so I took them apart and hit them with some Mother's metal polish with the Dremel and buffing wheel and cleaned them up pretty good.

I also cleaned up the nickel on the CPU waterblock as well as stripped the old paint of the retention bracket and re-painted it black

I also got my care package in from Performance-PCs! I got a second XSPC 120mm radiator, some Bitspower fittings and some other assorted goodies.

I decided to mount the second 120mm rad on the bottom of the case in the 5.25" drive bay compartment. I'll be using a fan controller but it's short and won't interfere with the fan/rad setup at all.

I also removed almost all of the 3- and 5-way snake rotary fittings to clean up the overall look. It looks much cleaner this way and the Duralene tubing I'll be using is very flexible so I don't need perfectly straight line-of-sight from one barb to the next.

Next up I drilled a hole at the back of the case for the Bitspower panel fitting. This will allow me to connect the reservoir and pump through the back panel of the case.

I had to notch the motherboard tray support just a tad so the panel fitting lock ring would fit properly.

Then I installed the necessary rotary and barb fittings to line everything up.

I also got my i7-3770K in for the build.

I used my custom fan template from White Light Laser to mark the bottom of the case to cut out for the 120mm intake fan for the lower radiator.

Silly me marked the holes for the 120mm fan but marked (and unfortunately cut) the large hole for the 140mm fan. No worries though, I'll make something to clean it up.

Next I made an accent piece for under the pump mount. This not only gives a little look to the pump mount it also raises it 1/8" so the pump to radiator fittings line up better.

Then I sleeved the pump's wires with the black/green paracord. This was my first time working with paracord and I like it a lot.

And finally I cut a small piece of tubing for the pump intake. The crystal block is a "T" style and the system temp sensor will go into the bottomside opening.

That's it for now!

System Name Workstations
Processor I7 5930k / I7 4820K / I7 4770K
Motherboard ASUS RVE X99 / Sabertooth X79 / ASUS MVIIF
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Triple / Corsair H110 / Custom watercooling
Memory HyperX 32GB 3000MHz / Corsair Vengenance 32GB 1866MHz / HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA SLI GTX780 Classified / EVGA SLI GTX780 ASX / AMD R9 290 Xfire
Storage Crucial M500 500GB SSD / Kingston HyperX 240GB / Kingston HyperX 240GB
Display(s) 2x Qnix 27" 1440p / 3x Dell U2410 IPS 5760x1200 / 3x Dell U2311 IPS 5760x1080
Case Corsair 750D / Corsair A540 / NZXT Phantom P630
Audio Device(s) OB
Power Supply Seasonic X1050 Platnum / Corsair AX1200 / Corsaor AX1200
Software Win 7 on all PC's
Looking Good!

Minor update time.

I got a Bitfenix Recon fan controller to keep the system cool

Next I swapped the small piece of tubing leading into the pump for a Bitspower crystal link to clean things up

Then I got some sleeving done. I sleeved the 120mm and 80mm Lepa fans as well as the wiring for the front panel buttons and LEDs. I also removed the wiring for the front panel audio as I will have no use for it.

Then I cut out all the plastic honeycomb mesh that's molded into the front panel. I'll be keeping the steel mesh that covers the intake but I wanted that plastic stuff gone.

Lastly I drilled and mounted a 16mm Lamptron switch. This will turn on and off the case lighting.

That's it for now!

Update time!

I started off by sleeving all of the cables for the fan controller.

Next I tackled the vortex in the reservoir issue I was getting. I decided to cut a small piece of acrylic and thread it into the outlet.

And it worked beautifully :)

I also scooped up a G1.Sniper 2 from Lee Harrington for the build, this will fit the theme much better.

Next I designed and made the circuit board that will read and display the coolant temp and flow rate. I designed it in Eagle CAD as i do all of my boards. I decided to make it single-sided to it'd be easier to etch and solder together.

I printed the board layouts onto inkjet photo paper with a laser printer. The small boards on the bottom are for something else - I'll get to that in a bit.

Then I placed the printed side down on a piece of single-sided copper board and ran them through the laminator a few times to transfer the toner to the PCB.

Then they went into a warm etchant bath until all of the exposed copper was dissolved.

Then I trimmed the control board to it's proper size.

Next I drilled all the holes and soldered in the components. The ribbon cable is going to connect to the board that will have the LCD mounted to it which I still need to make.

Now most of you probably know that the G1 series of boards come with green LEDs in the heatsink assembly. Well Thomas is cutting me out some custom GPU backplates along with all the other laser-cut parts so I figured I'd like UV LED's to light it up rather than green ones. This is where that small board comes in. I picked up some 0603 SMD UV LED's and resistors and made a replacement PCB for it. These things are TINY!

Here is the board I made next to the one out of the board - looks like I measured the LED spacing correctly.

And a couple shots with the new PCB installed into the motherboard.

And a shot of it with my UV green fan template lit up.

That's all for now!

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Nice work, more skill than average. I haven't done a PCB design since the 1980's ;)

One safety feature I've got on my W/C system (thanks to cannabalizing a Koolance case), is a temp probe on the waterblock. If it goes above 95f, it'll shut the system down using the a power button header bypass.

Nice work, more skill than average. I haven't done a PCB design since the 1980's ;)

One safety feature I've got on my W/C system (thanks to cannabalizing a Koolance case), is a temp probe on the waterblock. If it goes above 95f, it'll shut the system down using the a power button header bypass.

This system will display the flow rate and temp on a 16x2 RGB LCD with a normally green background and if either passes whatever flow/temp threshold I decide on it will flash red and sound the beeper. I'm thinking of adding a button so that I can shut the beeper off and not go insane while I'm trying to figure out the problem lol

Alright it's been a while but I've got a small update. I swapped the Primochill LRT tubing for some E22 10/12 solid tubing. I think it looks much better.

I ran out of the E33 tubing so I just used a BP crystal link fitting for the return line to the res.

And a preview of one of my fan grills from White Light Laser :D

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
nice start
i have xb too, and i love the material
its pretty solid

System Name Gaming rig
Processor Intel Core i5 3750K O/C to 4.4ghz
Motherboard ASrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Cooler Master 212 EVO
Memory 16gb G-Skillz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 SC edition
Storage 120gb SSD and 2TB HDD
Display(s) BenQ XL2420T 120hz Gaming monitor
Case Corsair 300R
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Very nice work.. thats awesome man :toast:

OK so it's been a LONG time but I've been working on getting this done. She's 99% - almost done :D Time to post some long-needed updates!

Here's all the goodies I got from White Light Laser:

Next up I got the side panels done. I measured and cut out the panels for the windows

I opened up the lower guide track and slid a white LED strip into the track to light up the window etchings.

Then I filed the cuts smooth and put some edge molding on then mounted the windows with 3M VHB tape.

Next I got to work on polishing the GPU blocks and the EK bridge link block and got the blocks mounted.

Now for strange unknown reasons EK chose to NOT put a G1/4" threaded hole on the bottom side of the bridge, only the bottom right side. Well that's useless isn't it? With the way the flow is set up I need the flow to enter the left side of the bridge and exit the right. This is due to the universal GPU blocks having a dedicated flowpath.

So I picked up an 11.5mm plastic drill and a G1/4" BSPP tap from McMaster and made my own hole.

Now the topside of the bridge block has one threaded hole recessed into the block while the other is not. Presumably the recess is for the plug to sit flush once it's installed. However this needs to be my exit and because of the recess I can't install a fitting here. So I took the Dremel out and milled out the recess enough to allow the installation of Bitspower's new rigid tubing compression fittings.

After that was done the blocks were all mounted and I got to work redoing the tubing to and from the GPU's.

I also picked up a green Bitspower LED station to make hooking up all my LED's easier. I wired the ground on the LED station's Molex power to the switch I mounted in the front panel earlier. This allows me to turn off all the lights if I want.

Then I installed white LED's into the CPU block, GPU blocks and the bridge block.

And here we are ready to fill!

Next update coming tomorrow :)

System Name MONEY PIT
Processor i7-3770K @ 4800 1.20v batch #3231B415 Delided
Motherboard ASrock Z77 OC Formula w onboard waterblocks
Cooling Apogee HD, MCP655,rad MCR320-XP,Micro Rev2 res
Memory G,skill Trident X F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified with EK nickel/acetal waterblock installed
Storage 2x120gig Wildfire raid0 2x120gig VERTEX3 raid0
Display(s) 3/ Samsung2343bwx + 65in LG 4K
Case NZXT Phantom White w/red
Audio Device(s) ReCon3d fatal1ty pro, Logitech z906 THX
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse Rat7
Software 64bit ++++ win 10
Nice work :toast::respect:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Sub'd for a nice mod:toast:

I filled the loop with Mayhem's Pastel Mint Green. I like it but it's a tad too light for me - I was looking for something a little bit darker...hmmm...will work on that later. ;)

And here's how it looks with the white LED's in all of the blocks

Now while I was taking those last pics I noticed this side of the 5.25" drive bays was in need of something so I made up a cover panel out of black acrylic to make it look better.

Then I decided that the translucent green accents inside weren't as lit up as I'd like from the white LED's so I decided to add a pair of UV LED strips to either side of the top window. It worked but it had the side effect of making the Mayhem's Pastel Mint Green look almost white :O

So back to the light green issue...I had a bottle of Primochill UV Brite Green dye so I decided to squirt a bunch in - I ended up using just about the entire bottle (which dyes a gallon of coolant) but it turned out perfect and now the UV LED's actually make it light up green instead of turn a pasty white color :D

And with the top panel on and UV LED's on:

I like the way the UV LED's light up the top panel etchings purple as well - it sets it off nicely. Next update will be the final update with the final pics!