• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel NIC (Network interface controller) vs Killer E2200

Well, first of all, I m a gamer!!!
just wondering the different between Intel Ethernet vs killer Ethernet
MSI and Giga says Killer is better for gaming, and live stream, and they did show the pic of it
(well, I remember I saw it somewherer....but cant find the pic...)

anyway, what's you guys think??
:peace:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
killer NIC's usually dont do shit. they're no better than any other, they were just bundled with QoS software that could solve internet lag problems if the cause was something like torrents on your PC by sending the game packets first.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
killer NIC's usually dont do shit. they're no better than any other, they were just bundled with QoS software that could solve internet lag problems if the cause was something like torrents on your PC by sending the game packets first.
And what then makes Intel better?

I mean, I agree, it's just the bundled software. And the KillerNic stuff seems a bit better than CFOS depending on your use and how you set it up. Because technically ,that's what we'd really be comparing...CFOS vs KillerNic software. Proprietary vs 3rd party.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
And what then makes Intel better?

I mean, I agree, it's just the bundled software. And the KillerNic stuff seems a bit better than CFOS depending on your use and how you set it up. Because technically ,that's what we'd really be comparing...CFOS vs KillerNic software. Proprietary vs 3rd party.

what makes the intel better? leaner, more stable drivers and a few decades more experience making network cards ;)

and because its software, its useless if the cause of lag is outside your PC. like another PC torrenting, or lag from your ISP or another player.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I did a test with a standard intel gigabit nic card and a Killer nic. After countless ping tests, gaming sessions, and lan speed tests our results showed they do not offer anything more than a cool name. Tested off a 500MB Symmetrical connection.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
what makes the intel better? leaner, more stable drivers and a few decades more experience making network cards ;)

and because its software, its useless if the cause of lag is outside your PC. like another PC torrenting, or lag from your ISP or another player.
It's less CPU utilization that gives Intel the edge, really. That was why KillerNics came on separate cards...as did older Intel ones... However, not all Intel controllers are good...just nearly every single one. :p

But many systems don't have a shortage of CPU power, so this is less and less important today.

Anyway, fundamentally speaking, the KillerNic controllers, as hinted above, are Qualcomm designs which are optimized for GAMING, while the Intel controllers are simply great controllers.

I did a test with a standard intel gigabit nic card and a Killer nic. After countless ping tests, gaming sessions, and lan speed tests our results showed they do not offer anything more than a cool name. Tested off a 500MB Symmetrical connection.

The KillerNic E2205 is pretty much comparable to Intel controllers now, and software does allow KillerNic E2205 to be better at times, but I still feel that the Intel controllers have a better physical design.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
The general consensus is that it is not worth the money.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The general consensus is that it is not worth the money.
Sure, but that general consensus is based upon older controllers, on add-in cards, not the current E2205 that is built into GAMING motherboards from nearly every brand. And nearly every brand will have results showing that for GAMING, KillerNic is better. I'm not saying that is my own opinion... it just is what it is.

Saying KIllerNic sucks, because of an older controller... and not the E2205 that is commonly used today... well... You can do that, sure. :p

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
A while ago, they did tests. The Intel NIC came out on top. But not by much at all. Have they updated those tests to show the Killer NIC now comes out better? It was not in the past.

About the only thing the Killer NIC offers over the Intel NIC is software control to prioritize traffic. If the Intel NIC has that now, its a toss up. Unless you are a 'pro gamer' one wouldn't notice a difference anyway. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
A while ago, they did tests. The Intel NIC came out on top. But not by much at all. Have they updated those tests to show the Killer NIC now comes out better? It was not in the past.

About the only thing the Killer NIC offers over the Intel NIC is software control to prioritize traffic. If the Intel NIC has that now, its a toss up. Unless you are a 'pro gamer' one wouldn't notice a difference anyway. ;)
There are some poopy Intel controllers.

Anyway, a result from another site(not my results):

You have to list specific controller models rather than state general performance metrics with just a brand name, IMHO, so take this result with a grain of salt. You could also say that this might be highly workload dependent. At the same time, if you are someone that STREAMS their gameplay, the kIllerNic software will do you a favor, for sure. At the same time, boards with Intel NICs that have the CFOS software can do the same...but you need to know how to tune the software, FIRST.

brandonwh64

What a lot of people do not realize is that it takes data going from point A to point B and you can have all the best equipment in the world at point A but have weak point along the path to point B and it still ends in the same result.

If I wanted something to prioritize my traffic I would just buy a nice firewall/router or service switch.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
What a lot of people do not realize is that it takes data going from point A to point B and you can have all the best equipment in the world at point A but have weak point along the path to point B and it still ends in the same result.

I agree, and this should be a "given fact", but whatevs. I'm just relaying the info that disagrees with your opinion about KillerNic in general that has some companies saying otherwise, not my own opinion.

Personally, I feel the KillerNIC software is killer as a gamer who streams content live while playing. :p I'm also typing this now from a 4W Bay-Trail Celeron CPU, in a system that uses 25W at max. Dedicated hardware for nearly everything is very much old-school tech.

brandonwh64

I wouldn't discrediting the people that did the testing you posted, I am just merely mentioning our testing here at work. We did not test it with realtek nics only intel gigx.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I wouldn't discrediting the people that did the testing you posted, I am just merely mentioning our testing here at work. We did not test it with realtek nics only intel gigx.

Heh, I think you're taking this a bit too seriously.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

I love you. Oh hey, I finally am using that 250 CFM fan. That thing is just stupid. :roll:

Anyway, as you said, for most instances, the bottlenecks are really out there in the net, not in your system. The actual differences for most users between Intel i217V and KillerNIC E2205 is in single-digit percentiles in my testing, and both trade blows on workloads.

brandonwh64

I love you. Oh hey, I finally am using that 250 CFM fan. That thing is just stupid. :roll:

That fan was my hero. I have two more but I think they are 92MM and they will surely chop your finger off if you aint careful. LOLOLOLOL

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
Well, first of all, I m a gamer!!!
just wondering the different between Intel Ethernet vs killer Ethernet
MSI and Giga says Killer is better for gaming, and live stream, and they did show the pic of it
(well, I remember I saw it somewherer....but cant find the pic...)

anyway, what's you guys think??
:peace:

The Intel one is more dependable and consistent with testing over the years.

Recently the Killer "bigfoot" series gave me trouble on the x79 platform. Glad the mobo manufacturer offered both Intel and Killer LAN options.

Cadeveca, a slide from MSI's marketing is not really unbiased testing.

There are some poopy Intel controllers.

Anyway, a result from another site(not my results):

/QUOTE]

A slide from MSI's marketing is not really unbiased testing.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Sure, but that general consensus is based upon older controllers, on add-in cards, not the current E2205 that is built into GAMING motherboards from nearly every brand. And nearly every brand will have results showing that for GAMING, KillerNic is better. I'm not saying that is my own opinion... it just is what it is.

Saying KIllerNic sucks, because of an older controller... and not the E2205 that is commonly used today... well... You can do that, sure. :p

KillerNIC may be better when built into the motherboard but the general consensus is still that it is not worth the money.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
KillerNIC may be better when built into the motherboard but the general consensus is still that it is not worth the money.
They don't make add-in KIllerNICs any more... except one that is supposed to be WiFi/Wired, but I haven't seen that out in the wild as of yet.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a test from a well known company that refutes the others and is recent ( 11 Apr, 2014 ) : Tried And Tested: Why Intel Ethernet Is Still Better For Gaming.

And, here is one quote from the review:
Online game packets are usually less than 256 bytes (small). Here, Intel Ethernet shows up to 2x performance advantage over a direct ‘gaming’ competitor on small packet sizes. This proves that while ‘course’ testing appears equal, a deeper analysis shows Intel Gigabit Ethernet is clearly better for gaming.

So, it all depends on either, who you believe or your own testing.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Cadaveca, a slide from MSI's marketing is not really unbiased testing.

I know, but they are quoting another site. And just so we are clear, I'm not taking any sides here as to who is better... I think each has it's own pros and cons. I like the Killer software, though, no problems saying it's better...because Intel doesn't offer QoS software directly.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Intel is often preffered for servers because they are more compatible with hypervizors like VMware and hyper-v.

Also generally more stable drivers.

Oh and its always best to just use your router's QoS.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Suppose I am playing an online game while torrenting in the background. Will KillerNIC perform better than the competition in such scenario? I have not seen anyone testing under such scenario, perhaps I have not read all reviews.