• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Z97 GAMING 5 (Intel LGA 1150)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Test System says: Memory:16 GB DDR3 (4x 4 GB) Avexir Blitz 1.1 TechPowerUp! Edition ???
Picture says G.Skill TridentX.........
Yep. What does the CPU-Z say? :p

What exactly are you on about?

System Name Commercial towing vehicle "Nostromo"
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard X570 Unify
Cooling EK-AIO 360
Memory 32 GB Fury 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) 4070 Ti Eagle
Storage SN850 NVMe 1TB + Renegade NVMe 2TB + 870 EVO 4TB
Display(s) 25" Legion Y25g-30
Case Lian Li LanCool 216 v2
Audio Device(s) B & W PX7 S2e
Power Supply HX1500i
Mouse Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition
Keyboard Scope II 96 Wireless
Software Windows 11 23H2
CPU-Z says Avexir. ..so it is All about the looks I presume

cadaveca

My name is Dave
CPU-Z says Avexir. ..so it is All about the looks I presume

Yeah, that was just for pictures I had the G.Skill in. I do tend to test every board with multiple memory kits, and whatever kit is there when I snap pics, which is usually G.Skill, get in the review. Itest both 2-stick and 4-stick configurations with most common IC types, looking for issues that might be present so I can report those to the OEM so they can tune the BIOS if needed.

The Avexir sticks actually suit the board a bit better esthetically, I think, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to take more pics, edit them, upload, etc, when I paid out of pocket for that memory kit. They'll make it into the review of the Z97I GAMING that is on my test bench right now! :)

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Yeah, that was just for pictures I had the G.Skill in. I do tend to test every board with multiple memory kits, and whatever kit is there when I snap pics, which is usually G.Skill, get in the review. Itest both 2-stick and 4-stick configurations with most common IC types, looking for issues that might be present so I can report those to the OEM so they can tune the BIOS if needed.

The Avexir sticks actually suit the board a bit better esthetically, I think, but I wasn't going to go out of my way to take more pics, edit them, upload, etc, when I paid out of pocket for that memory kit. They'll make it into the review of the Z97I GAMING that is on my test bench right now! :)
Never used that brand before, how are they? (Avexir)

I love red and black color schemes on motherboards, GPU's, and Ram. Hence why I currently have a Crosshair-V board, Gskill Trident X, and some EK waterblocks that are black for my 290X cards.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Never used that brand before, how are they? (Avexir)

I love red and black color schemes on motherboards, GPU's, and Ram. Hence why I currently have a Crosshair-V board, Gskill Trident X, and some EK waterblocks that are black for my 290X cards.

Even my socks are black and red. There's pics of them here somewhere. :p

Avexir is good, a bit pricey, but I got exactly what I expected with these kits I ordered recently, and I don't mind paying a bit more to get exactly what I want.

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Even my socks are black and red. There's pics of them here somewhere. :p

Avexir is good, a bit pricey, but I got exactly what I expected with these kits I ordered recently, and I don't mind paying a bit more to get exactly what I want.
Well heres a pic of my system so you can take a guess what my favorite colors are :p
image (2).jpeg image (3).jpeg
I call it Alucard

But those MSI dragon symbols on the south bridge and the beautiful build quality and color scheme have been making me so compelled to go MSI this year with my next motherboard and processor. I am waiting to see how the MSI Big Bang 3 X99 board is because the previous one even though it was straight up black had a minigun on the VRM. Nuff said.
Im liking these Z97 boards alot because they all have some real nice looks for the enthusiast gamer compared to the bland past. MSI especially has stepped up to the plate!

DwightEnglish0318

It seems like the motherboards get better and better every generation. The Gaming 5 seems like a replacement for the G45 and it's better all around with more features.
Audio is better, POST code is nice addition, LAN is a bit better and M.2 is better than mSATA

Only things I don't like are the heatsinks and badge.

Nice review Dave!!!

well, agree it, MSi doing better and better on the MB, not only the quailty, also the design and the color
for the heatsink, I think claw is look better than the big red dragon head
but it kinda funny, they still put a silver-colored dragon on the side of heatsink

Processor Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
Cooling Corsair Hydro H150i Pro
Memory 2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3000 Mhz
Video Card(s) Inno3D iChill GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB
Display(s) Asus RoG PG279Q Swift
Case Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II (Sennheiser HD 650)
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Black)
Software W10 x64
I have 5 other boards sitting here, and am expecting quite a few more. Should have at least one a week for the next month or so.

You should include the quality of the actual hardware components like capacitors, inductors and what not.
Take a look at http://sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png
- http://sinhardware.com/index.php/vrm-list
- http://sinhardware.com/index.php/vrm-articles/82-vrm-guide

I think this could really get your already awesome reviews to the next level.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Actually, I read Sin's stuff myself. He does have an account here as well. He does provide excellent information, for sure, and has been doing so for many years.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do about that. :rockout:

harleyguy

I purchased a X97 Gaming 5 mb from Newegg. The first board I received would not boot if I put memory in slots 2, 3, or 4.

Also the bios could not be upgraded. It would read the new bios file, reboot, say it was loading and stall at 100% (the MSI tech support guy said it should have rebooted). After waiting 5 or 10 minutes, I reset the system but the old bios was still installed.

Returned the board to Newegg and got a new board. Works fine except I still can't update the bios (same symptoms as above).

Did anyone else try to update the bios successfully?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hrm, I didn't have any issues, but I had mine before the launch (obviously).

Did you use the flashing method included with download, or did you use Live Update?

harleyguy

Hrm, I didn't have any issues, but I had mine before the launch (obviously).

Did you use the flashing method included with download, or did you use Live Update?

I was in the BIOS and used the M-Flash method: Select one file to update bios and mb. Tried several time and once with the MSI tech support guy on the phone. (BTW the tech support people were very helpful.)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I used Live Update from within Windows8 without problems. You may want to give that a try if you haven't already.

harleyguy

I used Live Update from within Windows8 without problems. You may want to give that a try if you haven't already.

Can't do that cause I'm running Linux (Mint) on it but good to know. BTW: Don't recommend Linux for this MB for other reasons too, the network adapter and on board sound don't have linux drivers yet. Had to add some cards.