• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GPU-Z ASIC quality readings changed!

I searched through google using various different wordings and have found nothing to help nor anyone with this same thing happen.

When I first got my Powercolor R7-265, GPU-Z read the ASIC quality as 78.6%. Fairly good, I thought, from a budget manufacturer! But just now when I ran a 40 minute Furmark test I decided to check again, and GPU-Z reported an ASIC quality of 73%. Has anyone had this happen to them? The card still runs it's stock settings all the same, and I can overclock as well as underclock to the exact same limits. But the reading of the ASIC quality has changed! From GPU-Z's update documentation and posts I read that they read the BIOS values which, presumably, are set in stone upon being tested by the chip manufacturer. So how could it possibly go down, or up, or change at all? I haven't flashed a BIOS or modded the card in any way besides overclocking.

Not that it matters to this discussion, but my OC/UC stats are as follows:
Preferred OC profile: 1125 boost/1088 standard, 1.2Vcore, 1500memory, +11 power limit
Maximum overclock (verified by a 9 hour Furmark run while I was at work): 1215 boost/1188 standard, 1.225Vcore (might actually be too aggressive but I haven't run something like 1.21vcore for a few hours yet), 1550 memory, +20 power limit
Underclock: Can do 800Mhz @ 1.05Vcore with no artifacting or freezing during 6+ hour tests

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
It has happened after several months of intense mining on my rigs, usually no more than a percentage point though. I think it may be heat related. It's not much to worry about I would imagine but basically indicates you were pushing your card a bit too hard.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
The card still runs it's stock settings all the same, and I can overclock as well as underclock to the exact same limits. But the reading of the ASIC quality has changed!

And there you have it. The ASIC reading is pretty useless to be honest. Overclocking is still hit and miss, as is everything else. It might be related to power consumption though, but the differences is not that big anyway.

Don't think about it too much, just watch the temps.