• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ubisoft and NVIDIA Team Up On Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4 And More

System Name Smooth-Operator
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800x
Motherboard Asrock x570 Taichi
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory 2x16GB 3200MHz CL16@CL14 DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8GB NITRO+
Storage 2x4TB WD HGST 7K6 7200RPM 256MB
Display(s) Samsung S24E370DL 24" IPS Freesync 75Hz
Case Fractal Design Focus G Window Blue
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe x1
Power Supply Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
Mouse Gigabyte Aorus M3
Keyboard Zalman ZM-K300M
Software Windows 10 x64 Enterprise/Ubuntu Budgie amd64
" NVIDIA's GameWorks technology includes TXAA antialiasing, which provides Hollywood-levels of smooth animation" - so do they mean all their games will be running at 23fps? I think fps in movies is not the same what fps in games and it leads me to conclusion: they do not think.

Durvelle27

Staff member
System Name Black Prometheus
Processor |AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard ASRock B550M Pro4|MSI X370 Gaming PLUS
Cooling Thermalright PA120 SE | AMD Stock Cooler
Memory G.Skill 64GB(2x32GB) 3200MHz | 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4
Video Card(s) |AMD R9 290
Storage Sandisk X300 512GB + WD Black 6TB+WD Black 6TB
Display(s) LG Nanocell85 49" 4K 120Hz + ACER AOPEN 34" 3440x1440 144Hz
Case DeepCool Matrexx 55 V3 w/ 6x120mm Intake + 3x120mm Exhaust
Audio Device(s) LG Dolby Atmos 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RMX850 Fully Modular| EVGA 750W G2
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
Software Windows 10 EDU x64
I really wanted to know what the problem people have with watch dogs on the PC. I finished the game with a 3570K and GTX660, setting the graphics to reasonable level (high texture, SMAA, other settings mostly high) and it seems fine.

The only problem I have with the game is that if I alt+tab out and in, there's a huge stutter + freeze but it's fixed if I restart the game.
The problem is

Stuttering, Bad FPS, VRAM hog etc.....

System Name Just A Gaming Rig.
Processor AMD FX-8320 @4.1GHz, 1.268V
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 Evo R2.0
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Club 3D R9 280X 3GB royalQueen, @1115/1615MHz
Storage OS+Often used stuff: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB, Mass storage: WD Blue 1TB
Case Zalman Z3 Plus
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Software Windows 8.1 64-bit
I think Ubisoft is quickly catching up to EA when it comes to being a scumbag company. I really dislike GameWorks, and I disagree with it being the same as Mantle. Mantle doesn't affect Nvidia cards' performance, nor does it give people with AMD cards better visuals.

That being said, Ubisoft also did a pretty shitty job optimizing the game and game engine itself, which also contributed to the problems Watch Dogs has.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
To be honest the graphics in Watch Dogs is not as spectacular as one would have think. Even on ULTRA it looks cartoonish and flat.

" NVIDIA's GameWorks technology includes TXAA antialiasing, which provides Hollywood-levels of smooth animation" - so do they mean all their games will be running at 23fps? I think fps in movies is not the same what fps in games and it leads me to conclusion: they do not think.
Again, you are comparing apples with waffles.

Last edited:
Still promoting the junk called TXAA I see. How can they still pursue this garbage forward, is beyond my understanding....

people calling PhysX junk for years but did it stop nvidia from further developing and pushing the tech to game developer?

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
Let the AMD rage begin......

Let the AMD rage begin......

People are voicing their valid legitimate complaints. It doesn't seem like Game Works is good for anything other than destroying performance. The game is mediocre looking and yet it performs like crap.

Comparing Mantle to Game Works doesn't work. Mantle can be compared to Nvidia's Physix or CUDA as a so-far proprietary API. Having a Mantle renderer doesn't affect performance on Nvidia cards.

Game Works is basically Nvidia-optimized compiled libraries that no other company can look into or optimize their drivers for. It's a violation of the industry's ethics and doesn't help anyone, including Nvidia. I mean the game still runs like crap on Nvidia's cards too.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
AMD hardware is in XBOX/PS4 with Mantle optimizations. That's why NVidia is pushing more and more Gameworks. It's there way to get in the middle and make sure stuff runs well on their discrete gfx cards.

Promoting PC gaming on proprietary hardware is a serious impairment on innovation within gaming houses they’ll all pull from the same graphic libraries… gamers should not be happy with such ideas! Gaming houses will be beholden to waiting for Nvidia/AMD next big graphic source library of innovations running on their latest supposed hardware abilities, then such hardware will want rehashed games there to show-case the hardware. That’s backwards, gaming houses should be in competition to develope innovation(s) and push the hardware to build for that. Open source/cross-platform is in all gamers best interests, and we should resist on a common front, unless you want nothing other the "console" PC’s.

people calling PhysX junk for years but did it stop nvidia from further developing and pushing the tech to game developer?
TXAA, PhysX are junks, but developers still use it because nVidia feeds them with money, a lot. And thanks to nVidia's success in the professional scene, they have enough money to play dirty, and then charge the premium on consumers to get even more money.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
It is interesting reading views around the inter-webs about this. The goal posts do seem to have moved a bit in recent years.

I gather closed and proprietary is just fine now, as long as it doesn't effect their very fiercest rivals who they are in direct competition with.

System Name Cooler GTX660
Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V PRO
Cooling Aero Cool
Memory Cosair 8GB Vengance 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX660
Storage 1TB 2x500GB RAID 0
Display(s) 26 inch Samsung 1920 x 1200
Case Cooler Master
Audio Device(s) Onbord Realtek
Software Windows 8.0 64Bit
I use Ndivia graphics and I have to say that this "gameworks" stuff is just Nvdia saying "hey we sell expensive GPUs and we want people to buy anyway" and Ubisoft helping them, and people do buy and developer use their techs, that's jus the way it is.

"THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE"

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
Radeon users have no TXAA, so we're left with 4x MSAA to have any hope of clean graphics, and 4x MSAA roasts the GPU, leading to throttling and rubber-banding.

So your problem with the game is that AMD can't manage to put out graphics cards that don't overheat and start to throttle, so demanding games run like shit on them, and this is some how the fault of the game developers and nVidia. Wow!

I use Ndivia graphics and I have to say that this "gameworks" stuff is just Nvdia saying "hey we sell expensive GPUs and we want people to buy anyway" and Ubisoft helping them, and people do buy and developer use their techs, that's jus the way it is.

I don't think it's fair to force people to buy high-end graphics cards to play games that could run perfectly well on mid-range $200ish graphics cards. I don't support that and my next GFX ain't gonna be an Nvidia one.

Like last time. Nvidia Closes $5 Million Deal with Ubisoft.

Ubisoft had been using Intels Havok so if switching to GameWorks brings in extra revenue instead of spending money. Its a smart business move for Ubisoft.

We've gone from companies paying for exclusive bundles to exclusive optimization to possibly only me optimization on a standard API.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11

Durvelle27

Staff member
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350
So your problem with the game is that AMD can't manage to put out graphics cards that don't overheat and start to throttle, so demanding games run like shit on them, and this is some how the fault of the game developers and nVidia. Wow!
This post is hilarious

Processor i7-13700k
Motherboard Asus Tuf Gaming z790-plus
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR5 7000mhz
Video Card(s) Asus Dual Geforce RTX 4070 Super ( 2800mhz @ 1.0volt, ~60mhz overlock -.1volts. 180-190watt draw)
Storage 1x Samsung 980 Pro PCIe4 NVme, 2x Samsung 1tb 850evo SSD, 3x WD drives, 2 seagate
Display(s) Acer Predator XB273u 27inch IPS G-Sync 165hz
Power Supply Corsair RMx Series RM850x (OCZ Z series PSU retired after 13 years of service)
Mouse Logitech G502 hero
Keyboard Logitech G710+
This remind me Dirt Showdown and global illumination.

I've seen enough graph's from AMD like this that are complete BS and this looks like another one.

Ignorant as always
Ever occurred to you people might own both ?..
Mantle doesn't affect competitors DX performance. The compiled .DLL issue with GameWorks was raised by developers through social media and how it was bad for the industry before Nvidia partially opened it up to certain features after pressure.

As for saying mantle doesn't effect it? How can you be sure? Since Now these dev's have to work on mantle api in their game debugging and optimizing it that takes away time from working and optimizing game on DX as a whole.

Comparing Mantle to Game Works doesn't work. Mantle can be compared to Nvidia's Physix or CUDA as a so-far proprietary API. Having a Mantle renderer doesn't affect performance on Nvidia cards.
Game Works is basically Nvidia-optimized compiled libraries that no other company can look into or optimize their drivers for. It's a violation of the industry's ethics and doesn't help anyone, including Nvidia. I mean the game still runs like crap on Nvidia's cards too.

Unlike Mantle source for game works is available. Though do need to license it but Least they can get it Unlike Mantle that is completely locked and NO ONE outside few dev's and AMD can get it.

This post is hilarious

It is true, AMD put out a card that has to run 95c and clocked 200mhz higher to even compete.

Besides all that, Sad how Much AMD Whine's about half things nvidia does, Yet you don't seen nvidia whine about AMD. Nvidia calls their driver dev's up and tells them to fix it, AMD just all up their PR tells them to complain.

Last edited:
I've seen enough graph's from AMD like this that are complete BS and this looks like another one.

As for saying mantle doesn't effect it? How can you be sure? Since Now these dev's have to work on mantle api in their game debugging and optimizing it that takes away time from working and optimizing game on DX as a whole.

Unlike Mantle source for game works is available. Though do need to license it but Least they can get it Unlike Mantle that is completely locked and NO ONE outside few dev's and AMD can get it.

It is true, AMD put out a card that has to run 95c and clocked 200mhz higher to even compete.

Do your research. You can register with AMD to get Mantle code, only the SDK requires subscription fee though.

And my 290x run at 55c, you got a problem with that? They save money on ref cooler and I'm fine with that cause I put a block on it anyways. And still cheaper than a vanilla 780Ti, well.

Incase you haven't notice Mantle is a separate API. GameWorks is libraries which cater to Nvidia hardware on current DirectX API. If you feel that way about Mantle you should be more pissed off at Nvidias GameWorks.

Besides all that, Sad how Much AMD Whine's about half things nvidia does, Yet you don't seen nvidia whine about AMD. Nvidia calls their driver dev's up and tells them to fix it, AMD just all up their PR tells them to complain.

Atleast read something and educate yourself on the subject.

Extremetech - GameWorks FAQ: AMD, Nvidia, and game developers weigh in on the GameWorks controversy

Nvidia’s Tony Tamasi acknowledged on the phone that there are some bugs that can only be fixed by looking at the source.

Nvidia: Developers can now license the right to see source code on GameWorks libraries in a standardized fashion (before March this was apparently handled on a case-by-case basis).

Some pointed to the source code difference (keep in mind, you still have to buy/negotiate the right to GW library source code with Nvidia).

Love it or hate it, no one sees GameWorks and Mantle as equivalents.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I always find it laughable, to me it just seems like butt hurt people wanting everything anytime mantel or gameworks comes up.

Can't do xxx because i don't own card from company yyy. A complaint that can easily be summed up because it feels wrong and it feels wrong because a person cannot have both without doing something unreasonable like having two gaming computers.

Trying to blame one or the other while especially absolving the other is just mud throwing and unproductive just encourages more partisan tactics.

Simple truth is AMD pays game companies either literally or with resources such as engineers to get mantel into games. It's the same deal with Nvidia and gameworks they give away their time and resources to get their own product showcased.

Mantel wouldn't be in anything larger than indie without that support from AMD and gameworks wouldn't be a thing if nvidia charged companies to use it.

It's the same idea just different vectors.

Please read into what the devs say about Mantle. Notice that it got msft off of their butts to make DX competitive with Mantle. Notice Also that we have "Metal" a new close to the metal rendering API from Apple now (and Plants vs. Zombies, a Mantle game (hmmm?) the first to be ported to it.). Mantle is the crest of the wave that is building in the gaming industry. Devs aren't supporting it because they are being compensated. Devs have been begging anyone that would listen since DX9 for an API like Mantle. That's why they've embraced it. Someone finally listened to them.

Durvelle27

Staff member
Mouse Logitech Trackman
Keyboard Logitech K350

Where do you get your information buddy

I look forward to more blur filtering by nVidia-exclusive AA's and more Ubisoft lazy porting, which will swiftly be blamed on nVidia despite Ubisoft's long, storied history of lazy porting.

Please read into what the devs say about Mantle. Notice that it got msft off of their butts to make DX competitive with Mantle. Notice Also that we have "Metal" a new close to the metal rendering API from Apple now (and Plants vs. Zombies, a Mantle game (hmmm?) the first to be ported to it.). Mantle is the crest of the wave that is building in the gaming industry. Devs aren't supporting it because they are being compensated. Devs have been begging anyone that would listen since DX9 for an API like Mantle. That's why they've embraced it. Someone finally listened to them.
You know those totally unbais devs that have no connections to AMD and their programs; just like the opinions of the unbias devs who talk about gameworks that have no conflict of interest to nvidia.

Devs been begging for an api that locks them into one gpu or another since dx9? Where did you get that source out of AMD's PR team? Plants vs Zombies from EA who has ties with AMD to push mantle not because they believe in it but they are paid to. Plus the whole thing about how drafts for openGL and directX about changes similar to mantle but gpu agnostic were public months before mantle was public shows this isn't more than AMD PR move. Considering Dx12 is another large rewrite to Dx like DX10 was shows it's something that takes years to develop not just a month or two after mantle's not really public release. The only difference between mantle and gameworks to me is that mantle is less sustainable. Both are piles of shit.

Gameworks is middleware something AMD abandoned for the most part and mantle is just an separate code path for AMD products.

Like i said they are both attempts at showcasing one company's product, not to put the competitors product down but to make theirs seem special. Both are cheats neither is malicious towards the other but cheats none the less.

Last edited: