• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wooden cases

PatrickHuynh

Hello TechPowerup Community!
My name is Patrick, I'm 17 years old and for my final year of D&T in secondary school and inspired by all of the beautiful wooden cases out there already, I will be making a wooden PC case. I have not yet designed anything and am just trying to figure out what people like about any wooden cases they have seen out there already. Any amount of input would help and even information on features of metal cases that you particularly like would be helpful! I would also like to know if owning a reasonably priced wooden case appeals to people in general. I'm sorry that the questions I'm asking are quite vague but I'm trying to set as little restrictions as possible!
Thanks in advance!
Patrick

System Name Daedalus
Processor AMD FX 6300
Motherboard ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 8GB Kingston HyperX Genesis (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) MSI R9 270X Gaming 2GB
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) LG Flatron E2442 (main - 24in 1080p)
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal Edition)
Power Supply XFX Pro 650W
Mouse Steelseries Siberia [RAW]
Hello TechPowerup Community!
My name is Patrick, I'm 17 years old and for my final year of D&T in secondary school and inspired by all of the beautiful wooden cases out there already, I will be making a wooden PC case. I have not yet designed anything and am just trying to figure out what people like about any wooden cases they have seen out there already. Any amount of input would help and even information on features of metal cases that you particularly like would be helpful! I would also like to know if owning a reasonably priced wooden case appeals to people in general. I'm sorry that the questions I'm asking are quite vague but I'm trying to set as little restrictions as possible!
Thanks in advance!
Patrick

How weird. I know a guy the same age who is making a wooden-based case for their final year (A2-level here in the UK) of Product Design. I could consult him if you like, see what his thoughts are. What size are you thinking?

Layton

PatrickHuynh

How weird. I know a guy the same age who is making a wooden-based case for their final year (A2-level here in the UK) of Product Design. I could consult him if you like, see what his thoughts are. What size are you thinking?
Layton
What a coincidence, I would definitely be interested in finding out what he has to say! I am considering designing a case based around a micro-ITX small form system, however I have not produced designs yet and currently, I only have ATX mobos at my disposal to be used at the testing stage... I will produce designs of all conventional sizes though so I'm trying not to focus on one size just yet.

Last edited:
System Name Daedalus
Processor AMD FX 6300
What a coincidence, I would definitely be interested in finding out what he has to say! I am considering designing a case based around a micro-ITX small form system, however I have not produced designs yet and currently, I only have ATX mobos at my disposal to be used at the testing stage... I will produce designs of all conventional sizes though so I'm trying not to focus on one side just yet.

It may be an idea to set-up a thread seeing if people have some spare, older parts that they can donate or that you can borrow for sizes. I think I may do this on behalf of my friend at some point. You could always piggy-back the thread too.

Layton

PatrickHuynh

It may be an idea to set-up a thread seeing if people have some spare, older parts that they can donate or that you can borrow for sizes. I think I may do this on behalf of my friend at some point. You could always piggy-back the thread too.

Layton
I definitely didn't think of that, it would be really helpful if I could get an old micro-ITX mobo if someone is willing to donate one. I will have to wait 14 days before I can post in the trading section though!

System Name Daedalus
Processor AMD FX 6300
I definitely didn't think of that, it would be really helpful if I could get an old micro-ITX mobo if someone is willing to donate one. I will have to wait 14 days before I can post in the trading section though!

Where you based? Are you in the UK? I am able to post in the B/S/T/G section, but you probably have enough time, as the sizing of most components is fairly standardised these days. You can then show it off with components when its finished.

Layton

PatrickHuynh

Where you based? Are you in the UK? I am able to post in the B/S/T/G section, but you probably have enough time, as the sizing of most components is fairly standardised these days. You can then show it off with components when its finished.

Layton
Yes, I live 20 minutes from central London! I have a good IT department in my school so I should be able to get lots of parts from them, however I don't think any PCs in our school use anything other than ATX mobos so I'm a bit limited in that respect. I would definitely post pictures here on completion, but that's a good few months away :)