• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD R9 290X CFX Coil Whine, interfering with the game sound.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
It's how you tries to help others. Instead of just telling them to do this and do this, explain more. It would help allot more.

But I have ordered 2 Ground Loop isolators, and will test it. But I think it's a blank shot in the dark.

Going too try a USB sound card later.

Do not double post, by the way coil whine is very common with many cards, if you had read my link properly youd understand, by the way respect the forum users here otherwise youll stop getting help from anyone here, Rcoon has some really good advice so id highly suggest using it.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I have nothing useful to say, but if I could I would thank this a million times.
I would thank you but can you google how to do it for me?

Seriously though, the cutout is probably being caused by capacitive buildup, make sure to ground your case, and the cards directly to the case through the EMI/interface bracket. I had issues with a turtle beach card when the paint in/on my case prevented a good ground through the board standoffs and other parts, scraping a bit of paint off the case around the mount did wonders.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Another note make sure the pci cards brackets are not touching the edge of the motherboard and case at same time (pretty much causes a electromagnetic/frequency bridge- past experience is what i have on that lol) card bracket should only touch case bracket mount.

I would thank you but can you google how to do it for me?

Seriously though, the cutout is probably being caused by capacitive buildup, make sure to ground your case, and the cards directly to the case through the EMI/interface bracket. I had issues with a turtle beach card when the paint in/on my case prevented a good ground through the board standoffs and other parts, scraping a bit of paint off the case around the mount did wonders.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
Really simple question - are you using the headphones through the front jacks on the case or the rear jacks on the motherboard? Front panel audio jacks are well known for interference and I gave up using mine for that exact reason (my heaphones plugged into the rear jacks are noise free).

System Name Smaller one :)
Processor Intel i7 13700KF.
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790 Edge WiFi m-ITX.
Cooling Lian-Li Galahad II Trinity 360.
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4080 Suprim X
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade x2 2TB, KC2500 2TB, Silicon Power A55 2TB.
Display(s) Viewsonic XG270QG
Case Asus AP201 White.
Audio Device(s) Fiio K5 Pro, Klipsch R-51 PM / R-100SW
Power Supply Asus Loki 850w White
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight.
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Origins 60 Pink
Software Win11
I still think people need to be encouraged to google certain things that could easily be worked out by themselves in seconds. You obviously want to ask forums how to build a PC and what parts to use, but when it comes to wondering say, what VRAM is, it's possibly easier to ask google.

First of all, most people Google their problems before they seek help on forums. And that is what I did. I tried many different questions just for getting the answer I needed, but there was no luck at all. And when someone post a lmgtfy I get a little pissed off. I do not post on forums just for fun, only here seeking help form other users that has the knowledge and can give me the help I need. I have never had coil whine, and not a coil whine that hammer out on my sound card. And when you posted a Gound loop, I whould have been more appreciated that you took you time to explain how it would fix the problem with the sound issue. Since you use Ground loop ur self.

try to fix clock if that doesnt fix problem try changing clocks with 1mhz (up or down depending when you will see impovement) till whine stop or is reduced at acceptable lvls.
you have ref cards right

I'm going try this later this night, and see if it's helping isolate the coil whine.

Coil whine (or choke rattle) affects almost every card these days it seems. I had a very bad Powercolor 7970 that i did RMA because of it and the replacement had coil whine too. I had 2 7970's in crossfire and they sang with lovely coil whine. I replaced that set up with a Titan and it had coil whine also! My 780ti classified can whine but it depends on load and fps (and the whine is negligible to be fair). Most folk notice coil whine when they put a water block on as the sound output from the card's fan is removed. The reason you have less coil whine when crossfire is disabled is the fact the second card is idling. Only load will cause bad coil whine and the higher the load combined with higher clocks and voltage will do it too. As will very high fps (the closing title screen in Unigine Heaven is a doozy for it).

Unfortunately there is very little you can do about the coil whine. Reference cards are by far the worst culprits.

Some people are lucky with their cards and get a card with no coil whine at all, and some are not that lucky. All I know is that coil whine is not an warranty issue, so it is hard to RMA for that kind of an issue. But I did not have coil whine when I got my cards, it came after a while, and it sucks. Listing to that whiny sound and almost sing along haha.
I have to reference card from AMD them self.

Do not double post, by the way coil whine is very common with many cards, if you had read my link properly youd understand, by the way respect the forum users here otherwise youll stop getting help from anyone here, Rcoon has some really good advice so id highly suggest using it.

Did read it twice. Yeah RCoon did come with some good advice, but lmgtfy is kind of stepping on someone's toes, especially when that person has done his job and used google before seeking help on forums. I should have been more clear in the first post I made. That I have been searching google up and down for more info.

Another note make sure the pci cards brackets are not touching the edge of the motherboard and case at same time (pretty much causes a electromagnetic/frequency bridge- past experience is what i have on that lol) card bracket should only touch case bracket mount.

I do not think the bracket is touching the MB and case at the same time, but it's easy to find out if they are. If it's touching I have some thin thermal pads I can use between them. But thanks for sharing this.

Really simple question - are you using the headphones through the front jacks on the case or the rear jacks on the motherboard? Front panel audio jacks are well known for interference and I gave up using mine for that exact reason (my heaphones plugged into the rear jacks are noise free).

No, using jacks back on the sound card.

Last edited:
System Name Mi Negra
Processor Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processo
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 with 92mm PWM Fan
Memory Patriot Viper Xtreme Series DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Founders Edition GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card
Storage Samsung 750 EVO 250GB 2.5" 250G SATA III Internal SSD 3-D 3D Vertical Solid State Drive MZ-750250BW
Display(s) Samsung UN40JU6500 40" Class 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV
Case In Win 303 Black SECC Steel/Tempered Glass Case ATX Mid Tower, Dual Chambered/High Air Computer Case
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz P
Power Supply Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Yes, High Cur
Mouse Logitech G700s Black 13 Buttons Tilt Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
the only way I solved coil wine on my system was when I went from an Antec 750 bronze psu to a Antec 1200 gold psu.

Toothless

Tech, Games, and TPU!
Supporter
System Name Veral
Processor 5950x
Motherboard MSI MEG x570 Ace
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Powercolor 7900XTX Red Devil
Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB, Samsung 980 1TB, Teamgroup MP34 4TB
Display(s) Acer Nitro XZ342CK Pbmiiphx + 2x AOC 2425W
Case Fractal Design Meshify Lite 2
Audio Device(s) Blue Yeti + SteelSeries Arctis 5 / Samsung HW-T550
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Corsair Nightsword
Keyboard Corsair K55
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores PEBCAK
But... lmgtfy is funny...

You might want to invest an a noise-cancelling case, or try placing it in a way that the noise is going away from you. Just my couple of pennies.

Case Asus AP201 White.
Software Win11
the only way I solved coil wine on my system was when I went from an Antec 750 bronze psu to a Antec 1200 gold psu.

It could work if you swap out our PSU, but in my case. I have tried 3 PSU's. The 1 I'm using now is a platinum PSU.

But... lmgtfy is funny...

You might want to invest an a noise-cancelling case, or try placing it in a way that the noise is going away from you. Just my couple of pennies.

lmgtfy is stepping on toes or telling a person that your dumb as f***. I have no problem using Google, and use Google daily. :)
I don't care about the coil whine at all, all i care about is that coil whine is screwing with my sound card. I use headset when I game so I will not hear it anyway :)

Just an small update.

I have now overclocked the GPU's and the sound issue is less problematic, now it only disappear on one ear, so I'm going to bump it up a few more and se.

Ground loop isolator did not work, because it all happens inside my case, so it was a blank shot in the dark. But I have tried.

System Name Red Radiance l under construction
Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Memory TridentZ Neo rgb 3600mhz (2x8 kit)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Audio Device(s) sennheiser's pc323d usb soundcard
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse roccat burst pro
Keyboard roccat ryos mk fx
Software windows 10
if you find that changes in clocks of vga has no effect anymore try to change voltage too. smallest possible steps up or down depending on effect. there should be combination of frequence&voltage where resonans is minimal

Case Asus AP201 White.
Software Win11
if you find that changes in clocks of vga has no effect anymore try to change voltage too. smallest possible steps up or down depending on effect. there should be combination of frequence&voltage where resonans is minimal

Been testing since early today, and no luck. going to start from scratch and instead of raising the voltage, I'm going to see how far I can lower it and then take it from there. If this is not going to help, I'm going to see if I have some thicker thermal pads and throw it on the gpu instead. Was reading on some other forum that increasing the thickness of the thermal pads could work.

I'm not going for a single card yet, have to wait for the USB sound card to arrive and do some testing. If this does not work either, it's out with 1 card and run with a single card config.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
lmgtfy is stepping on toes or telling a person that your dumb as f***. I have no problem using Google, and use Google daily. :)

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, I feel like an idiot when someone posts lmgtfy and it answers my question. But conversely I think they're an idiot when it doesn't. It's not stepping on anyone's toes. and if my question could be easily answered by google and I haven't yet recognized that, then I would prefer to know the search terms used for future reference.

that being said, I normally post just that. A link and the terms used to find it, however that takes more effort and when you run into questions everyday that could easily be answered by a google search, it's too much effort imo.

just because you use google, and used it before asking the question - doesn't mean you're done using it. you should be googling any term mentioned in a response, and any potential solution. in that way I think RCoon was right in his answer to that specific question, if a little too brief ;)

System Name As Himself
Processor 2700X
Motherboard Asrock 370X ThaiChi
Cooling Custom Liquid
Memory 4133MHz Team
Video Card(s) Radeon VII
Storage Samsung 512 SSD's
Display(s) Asus "24 144Hz
Case Tt P5
Audio Device(s) Asus Essence One Muses/Sparkos
Power Supply EVGA 1200
Mouse RAT ProX
Keyboard Drop CTRL
Software W10 steam futuremark
just for shits and grins, why not head to the hardware store pick up some lead flashing and some elec-tape (to wrap lead to keep from arcing) and try to isolate the sound card from any electrical interference.....

it would be a cheap test anyway......

System Name Desktop | Laptop
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Intel Core i7 7700HQ
Motherboard MAG X570S Torpedo Max| Neptune KLS HM175
Cooling Corsair H100x | Twin fan, fin stack & heat pipes
Memory 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C16-8GVK @ 3600MHz / 16-16-16-36-1T | 16GB DDR4 @ 2400MHz / 17-17-17-39-2T
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB + Kingston KC3000 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 970 Evo 500GB
Display(s) 32" Dell G3223Q (2160p @ 144Hz) | 17" IPS 1920x1080P
Case Fractal Meshify 2 Compact | Aspire V Nitro BE
Audio Device(s) ifi Audio ZEN DAC V2 + Focal Radiance / HyperX Solocast
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 1000W | 150W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate | Logitech MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 Optical (Linear Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
It maybe be a long shot, and I have heard mixed outcomes regarding them in the past, but maybe the use of a ferrite core wrapped around the audio cable (internal). Obviously this may only help if you are using front jacks on case. Usually the audio cable is heavily shielded anyway, so may not work to begin with. Just a suggestion. It may or may not be related directly to your issue.

EDIT: Just saw you said you are using rear jacks. Disregard this post.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
how many fans attached to mb do you have?

Case Asus AP201 White.
Software Win11
4 and a Swiftech Apogee Drive II.

I had 6 before I went for water cooling :)

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
hm
try to hock fans directly to psu.
resently i got 2 jetflows for my side panel and when i pluged them to mb (+cpu and top fan) i got noise in sound (i use usb sound card). noise has gone when i connected top fan directly to psu

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
A dab of glue gun kills coil whine.

I did this to a 5770 of mine it works

Case Asus AP201 White.
Software Win11
hm
try to hock fans directly to psu.
resently i got 2 jetflows for my side panel and when i pluged them to mb (+cpu and top fan) i got noise in sound (i use usb sound card). noise has gone when i connected top fan directly to psu

I have this I can connect my fans to http://www.bitspower.com/html/product/pro_show.aspx?num=81091022&kind2=46 Don't have molex to fan pin connectors, but I'm going to test this out when I'm back from the beach :)

A dab of glue gun kills coil whine.

I did this to a 5770 of mine it works

Yeah for some it works :) I'm glad there are more solutions posted. Going to test this if moving the fans from the MB does not work. I have also heard that electrical liquid tape also work. Or let a game with high fps on start menu stay over night.

Processor 5800x
Motherboard x470 taichi
Cooling stock wrath
Storage 970 evo nvme
Display(s) lc27g75tq
Case tt core x5 tge
Mouse roccat burst pro
Software windows 10
I have this I can connect my fans to http://www.bitspower.com/html/product/pro_show.aspx?num=81091022&kind2=46 Don't have molex to fan pin connectors, but I'm going to test this out when I'm back from the beach :)
this hub will do it as well as soon as you make sure it takes power from psu not from mb.
i needed to swap only one fan from mb to psu to get rid of the noise. you can try it by just disconnecting one of the fans. if that fix the problem then you will need only to find where to hock that fan (molex to fan isnt expensive but is ugly).

Case Asus AP201 White.
Software Win11
This is what I have tried to do:

Remove fans from HK to a Fan controller, did not work.
Isolate the sound card with some Liquid tape ( Electrical tape).
Run all fans at 100% speed from the fan controller on the HK.

This is what I have not testet, switching the bios from quiet to uber mode. Could this work? Quiet mode the GPU will jump up and down when it comes to clocks. Uber mode is fixed clocks and the TDP is rising for more OC.

Some says it's recommended to switch to uber when running CF/CFX for stable clocks and TDP limit, some says it's not helping. Don't know what to think, but I'm going to test this later today since it's just a switch to toggle.

I'm running water cooling on my cards, so the noise is not a problem :)

Case Asus AP201 White.
Software Win11
A funny update.

Coil whine is still there but it's less whine.

Problem is gone haha.

I came home from work last week, and found out that my PC had frozen in windows. (I do not use screen saver, but when to turn off the screen). It would not power up my screen so I had too power off the PC and then on again. If I use reset button, my GPU will not start up. But the sound issue is gone and now I can play game without it been lost a left or right ear.

I did use some platidip on the sound card in case the bracket did touch the motherboard, but it did not.