• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stable, lower temp, modded ATI drivers?

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Processor 7700k @5.0 delid
Motherboard Rog Maximus IX Code
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Memory 32 GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3200 xmp
Video Card(s) MSI RX 480 Gaming x 8G
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Display(s) Viewsonic XG 2701 Freesync
Case Corsair Crystal 570x
Audio Device(s) On board Supreme FX
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
Benchmark Scores 11+12=19?
So don't get me wrong I love my Sapphire 7870 xt. What my issue is, The bloody drivers. There was a time where beta and rc drivers actually added something to the table performance or stability wise inc temps.
That seems to be all hogwash of late. Performance gains and crossfire profiles for the latest cards (R9) are fine for people that have them, but why update from the 13.??'s if all the 14's are so sketchy. The latest I have installed is 14.20.1004-140620a1-173243E and I have gained on average 8 degrees c higher temps. And every time I exit a game windows pops in with a "Hey there Mr. ATI looks like your having issues running Aero, wanna adjust to Nvidia?" lol.
Minus the rant, Are there any trustworthy teams out there modding ATI drivers and or fixing what is overlooked by Ati? They don't have to be the latest releases but bringing more stability and better behavior is what I am after.
Yes I could just roll back to an earlier release but that isn't per say what I am after. More of all the benefits with none of the oh yeah, oops!

System Name The FlaMING Flogger
Processor Devil's Canyon i7 4790k @ 4.7
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Cooling Corsair H100i (CPU) Kraken G10 with Corsair H55 (GPU)
Memory 16 GB G Skill Trident 2400
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 970 Reference running at 1500MHz Core / 1950MHz memory
Storage OCZ 248 GB SSD X 2 in RAID 0
Case NZXT H440 Red / Black
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX On board
Power Supply OCZ-ZT 650W Bronze Rating
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
So don't get me wrong I love my Sapphire 7870 xt. What my issue is, The bloody drivers. There was a time where beta and rc drivers actually added something to the table performance or stability wise inc temps.
That seems to be all hogwash of late. Performance gains and crossfire profiles for the latest cards (R9) are fine for people that have them, but why update from the 13.??'s if all the 14's are so sketchy. The latest I have installed is 14.20.1004-140620a1-173243E and I have gained on average 8 degrees c higher temps. And every time I exit a game windows pops in with a "Hey there Mr. ATI looks like your having issues running Aero, wanna adjust to Nvidia?" lol.
Minus the rant, Are there any trustworthy teams out there modding ATI drivers and or fixing what is overlooked by Ati? They don't have to be the latest releases but bringing more stability and better behavior is what I am after.
Yes I could just roll back to an earlier release but that isn't per say what I am after. More of all the benefits with none of the oh yeah, oops!

Mate i hear you there regarding the temps. I'm running the latest 14.7 beta's and have gained around 5-7 degrees c since moving away from 14.4. I really noticed the difference as iv'e happily been using the Kracken G10 + H55 to cool my R9 290 and I was like "WTF is this ?" :banghead:

System Name The FlaMING Flogger
Processor Devil's Canyon i7 4790k @ 4.7
Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger
Cooling Corsair H100i (CPU) Kraken G10 with Corsair H55 (GPU)
Memory 16 GB G Skill Trident 2400
Video Card(s) Galaxy GTX 970 Reference running at 1500MHz Core / 1950MHz memory
Storage OCZ 248 GB SSD X 2 in RAID 0
Case NZXT H440 Red / Black
Audio Device(s) Supreme FX On board
Power Supply OCZ-ZT 650W Bronze Rating
Software Windows 8.1 Pro

I forgot to add something (thought i'd double post in case you didn't see the edit). The guys over at Tweak Force do modded AMD drivers. You can find them over here (modded 14.4) http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=28

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
2004 called, They want their Omega Drivers back...

Sadly afaik there are nobody out there who are modding GPU drivers anymore, At least not after Nvidia filed a lawsuit & attempted to go after the guy from Omega Drivers who was doing all the tweaks. ATi was very supportive and they allowed their drivers to be tweaked & modded by the community but after the whole lawsuit thing with Nvidia, there were no more modded drivers.

Its pretty much the whole Creative vs. Daniel K thing. Daniel K modded creative drivers to been less fail bait - This was back in the days when creative drivers were monumentally bad. Daniel K released some tweaked/modded drivers and Creative went after him even though he was doing what he was doing for free (not for profit) Creative went after him HARD & even announced it publicly like they were naming & shaming him.

Im not too sure if this happened at the end of it as my memory is going but there was huge backlash among the Creative Community which Daniel K's drivers helped out alot and Creative backed down a little and even offered Daniel K a job which he turned down (and rightly so i might add)

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Storage Samsung960evo250GB os Samsung 860 evo 500GB (Games)Samsung 840 120 (Storage)
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
I forgot to add something (thought i'd double post in case you didn't see the edit). The guys over at Tweak Force do modded AMD drivers. You can find them over here (modded 14.4) http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=28

2004 called, They want their Omega Drivers back...

Sadly afaik there are nobody out there who are modding GPU drivers anymore, At least not after Nvidia filed a lawsuit & attempted to go after the guy from Omega Drivers who was doing all the tweaks. ATi was very supportive and they allowed their drivers to be tweaked & modded by the community but after the whole lawsuit thing with Nvidia, there were no more modded drivers.

Its pretty much the whole Creative vs. Daniel K thing. Daniel K modded creative drivers to been less fail bait - This was back in the days when creative drivers were monumentally bad. Daniel K released some tweaked/modded drivers and Creative went after him even though he was doing what he was doing for free (not for profit) Creative went after him HARD & even announced it publicly like they were naming & shaming him.

Im not too sure if this happened at the end of it as my memory is going but there was huge backlash among the Creative Community which Daniel K's drivers helped out alot and Creative backed down a little and even offered Daniel K a job which he turned down (and rightly so i might add)
http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6551
So these modded 14.4's are not advisable?
Edit: To answer my own question, Nope. Wonkie as ole heck. 10 fps in Valley with these and display corruption. Trix will not work and neither will gpuz. Oh well headed back to 14.4 whql. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I just wish they'd ever fix the damn HDMI Audio lagging my entire system and friggin 144Hz actually working properly after system wakes up from sleep instead of getting constantly stuck in fixed 85Hz mode. The rest is great but they just can't and can't fix this damn crap.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
I just wish they'd ever fix the damn HDMI Audio lagging my entire system and friggin 144Hz actually working properly after system wakes up from sleep instead of getting constantly stuck in fixed 85Hz mode. The rest is great but they just can't and can't fix this damn crap.
Quite a few months ago now Vario told me he was switching to the green team and told me I should have followed suit. Word is he is quite impressed. Guess I may make the leap after all.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
For one thing, you can't expect your card to gain performance from driver updates indefinitely. Your card is not old, sure, but still. The second thing, you don't HAVE to update your drivers. Use whatever is working best. If the latest drivers does not work well, roll back. It's a pain, but it has been like that since the dawn of time.

Quite a few months ago now Vario told me he was switching to the green team and told me I should have followed suit. Word is he is quite impressed. Guess I may make the leap after all.

If i'm honest, i'm thinking the same lately. The HDMI Audio problem is so bad i have to manually disable that device in Device Manager for it to work right. And now the idiotic refresh swithcing to 85Hz after every system wake. As far as i like the rest of AMD, these two problems are totally pissing me off and even though i've reported the HDMI Audio thingie like decades ago, they have solved exactly nothing. Have reported the 144Hz switching and i think it will never get fixed, because out of all users 20 of us have 144Hz monitors and out of these 20 i bet 15 don't even know it's not even running at 144Hz after sleep on DisplayPort. This is a rare moment where i'm willing to switch camps for something totally not related to anything 3D whatsoever. I just hope NVIDIA doesn't have same moronic problems...

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
@RejZoR Do many people have the same problems as you?

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI MEG UNIFY
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 360mm
Memory 4x8GB 3600c16 Ballistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage 1TB SX8200 Pro, 2TB SanDisk Ultra 3D, 6TB WD Red Pro
Display(s) Acer XV272U
Case Fractal Design Meshify 2
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky One 2
To be fair, I've had some issues with my green team drivers. I do a ton of OpenCL compute and anything after 327.xx really crapped on that. I've also had assorted problems with fan speeds and clocks, even corruption and black screen when I stream.

@RejZoR Do many people have the same problems as you?

I have no idea as not many people actually own a 144Hz monitors. Most are stuck on 60Hz with cheap monitors or using 60Hz IPS's, and i bet many of those that have 144Hz don't even notice they are actually running in 85Hz and not 144Hz. I clearly notice the difference because this is how i spotted this bug.

Woke up the system, started a game and after playing it a bit it always felt weird. Checked monitor info in OSD and it was 85Hz. Went to Windows and there was 85Hz as maximum. Had to unplug DisplayPort cable, reconnect it and boink, 144Hz is all of the sudden available on the list. And this is 100% reproducible.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Have you submitted a bug report?

I have an issue with my 5870 (but I know its old and don't complain) where HDMI wake up doesn't work when my TV powers up, I have to unplug the HDMI cable for 7 seconds or so and then plug it back in or shut off the TV then restart it to get it to pickup the signal, but I also did a firmware update on my TV so perhaps it may be the cause. I have also not tried the other HDMI ports.

**Edit** For a lower temp you can write a new BIOS with better clock, power and fan control for your card and temps. Or force the fan to a static speed and use the profile launcher to return the fan speed to auto or a higher manual speed.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
I have no idea as not many people actually own a 144Hz monitors. Most are stuck on 60Hz with cheap monitors or using 60Hz IPS's, and i bet many of those that have 144Hz don't even notice they are actually running in 85Hz and not 144Hz. I clearly notice the difference because this is how i spotted this bug.

Woke up the system, started a game and after playing it a bit it always felt weird. Checked monitor info in OSD and it was 85Hz. Went to Windows and there was 85Hz as maximum. Had to unplug DisplayPort cable, reconnect it and boink, 144Hz is all of the sudden available on the list. And this is 100% reproducible.

Have you submitted a bug report?

I have an issue with my 5870 (but I know its old and don't complain) where HDMI wake up doesn't work when my TV powers up, I have to unplug the HDMI cable for 7 seconds or so and then plug it back in or shut off the TV then restart it to get it to pickup the signal, but I also did a firmware update on my TV so perhaps it may be the cause. I have also not tried the other HDMI ports.

**Edit** For a lower temp you can write a new BIOS with better clock, power and fan control for your card and temps. Or force the fan to a static speed and use the profile launcher to return the fan speed to auto or a higher manual speed.
Oddly enough, When I plug in my hdmi from my tv I have to restart the pc with it plugged in for the hdmi audio to work. Dos'nt matter if I have restarted the pc or not. If I unplug it at any point I have to restart every time. It is minor and dos'nt bother me but....................

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
That was an issue but they fixed it in a later driver, it is caused by windows trying to remap the audio when the default device disappears or gets unhooked, the ATI driver has to reclaim it, MS had the best setup in XP where you could map audio, Vista broke it and you had to switch, then switch back, my ex would watch netflix with HDMI audio and I would use my USB mic/audio for gaming at the same time and I would have to switch it if she closed netflix/WMC. 7 continued this, and 8 I am guessing.

Go into windows and reassign the HDMI as the default device and see if it fixes your issue.

Tallencor

TPU's First Patreon
Supporter
System Name Francis
Cooling Corsair H100i V2
Power Supply Evga 850 G3
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Logitech G810
Software Win 10 Home 64
That was an issue but they fixed it in a later driver, it is caused by windows trying to remap the audio when the default device disappears or gets unhooked, the ATI driver has to reclaim it, MS had the best setup in XP where you could map audio, Vista broke it and you had to switch, then switch back, my ex would watch netflix with HDMI audio and I would use my USB mic/audio for gaming at the same time and I would have to switch it if she closed netflix/WMC. 7 continued this, and 8 I am guessing.

Go into windows and reassign the HDMI as the default device and see if it fixes your issue.
I have tried this. The windows volume slider crashes to the bottom and stays there. Restart with hdmi plugged in and it fixes the issue. I could leave it plugged in at all times I guess and just switch between displays as needed really.