• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

BenQ XL2420G 'Hybrid Engine' G-SYNC Monitor Coming This Fall

BenQ, a world-leading human technology and solutions provider and professional gaming monitor pioneer, unveiled today the world's first hybrid engine G-SYNC gaming monitor: the XL2420G. Engineered to push the limits of display technology with market-driving innovation, the XL2420G is a solid successor of all the best of BenQ and a true game changer in the midst of a G-SYNC revolution.

Unlike any G-SYNC gaming monitor in the market, this brilliant creation gives gamers the freedom to switch between BenQ's proprietary Classic Mode, which offers unmatched maneuverability to customize every gameplay to your liking, and the G-SYNC Mode, which utilizes NVIDIA's G-SYNC technology to deliver unprecedented speed for buttery smooth on-screen action. Brilliant and fierce, the XL2420G is by far the best gaming monitor for those seeking to own the best of both worlds.

"Following the launch of NIVIDIA G-SYNC, we learned that the anticipation is soaring for a BenQ G-SYNC monitor. But we didn't just want to build a G-SYNC monitor. We wanted to build one that's the best out in the market, for every BenQ gaming monitor is aimed to bring the best gaming experience," said Peter Huang, General Manager of BenQ Technology. "So with the XL2420G, we challenged ourselves to something radically new, a hybrid engine design executed to perfection to offer the best of BenQ and the best of G-SYNC."

Boasting a pioneering hybrid engine design, the all-new XL2420G has everything you can ask for in a gaming monitor - world-leading BenQ display craftsmanship and the irritable smoothness of NIVIDIA G-SYNC technology on top of a stunning 24" 1 ms GTG LED display. All it takes is a simple switch of input cables to match your choice of gameplay.

NIVIDIA-powered G-SYNC Mode
NVIDIA's G-SYNC technology puts the GPU in charge for unprecedented buttery smooth, ultra-responsive gameplay. The G-SYNC Mode synchronizes the monitor's display refresh rates to the GPU to ensure images appear instantly the moment they are rendered, effectively eliminating frame rate artifacts seen in high-motion gaming, like screen tearing, display stutter and input lag. Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) is also at your disposal to smooth the way for a near-zero motion blur performance.

Proprietary Classic Mode
A hybrid engine design enables BenQ to infuse its state-of-the-art design DNA into the XL2420G. The Classic Mode brings total display maneuverability to gamers in favor of customizable gameplay and ensures the best gaming experience is delivered for games unsupported by G-SYNC. The extensive customizable display settings include: Motion Blur Reduction and Gaming Refresh Rate Optimization Management (100/120/144Hz) for Perfect Motion and Fast Gaming; Black eQualizer and Smart Scaling for being Precise in Control; S Switch and Display Pilot for the most Intuitive Experience; and Gaming Eye-Care with BenQ's Low Blue Light and Gaming-comfort Flicker-free technologies.

The launch of the XL2420G hybrid engine G-SYNC monitor marks a new breakthrough in gaming display technology and a substantial step forward for BenQ. As the company continue to perfect its gaming display design, more best-of-class monitors can be expected sweep pro gamers and gaming enthusiasts off their feet.

The XL2420G will be available worldwide in Fall 2014.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name OLD TRUSTY PC
Processor Intel i3-530 @3.7Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte H55-USB3M
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
Memory Avexir Core Series 1600Mhz 4GB X 2
Video Card(s) Asus R9270-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 128GB+2TB WD Blue
Display(s) AOC 2236vw
Case Corsair Carbide 200R
Power Supply Acbel 550W 80plus
Software Microsoft 7 Ultimate 64bit
i thought hybrid as in G-Sync and Freesync together in one monitor. guess i think to much...

I'd be cautious either way. Might want to check out the OCUK and ASUS ROG forums for the issues people are dealing with ASUS ROG SWIFT and see if its manageable for you before purchasing one.

System Name ICE
Processor AMD 1090t
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Thermaltake MaxORB EX
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4Gb DDR3@1866
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX670 OC
Storage SSD 128Gb Samsung 840 pro + 2x500Gb sata HDD
Display(s) Samsung 2233RZ@120Hz
Case CM Storm Enforcer
Power Supply Corsair AX760 80Platinum
Software Win 7 - 64 bit
Is this yet another 1080p 16:9 labeled as "gamer monitor"? :rolleyes:

Processor Ryzen 7 1800x
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Corsair H115i
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Rx 480 Gaming X
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB
Display(s) ASUS MG279Q
Case Corsair 600Q
Power Supply Corsair RMi 1000
Mouse Logitech G403 Wireless
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB
Software Windows 10 Home
Freesync won't be available until display port 1.3 comes out I think

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
My computer case is not "Hybrid" because it allows me to turn it off with a power button. God I hate these companies so much. Take them out the back and shoot the marketing team in the head.

This is cool!!! I am currently using the XL2720Z monitor and it is a fantastic gaming monitor. BenQ's built in motion stabilizing firmware is great, especially being adjustable with Blur Busters BenQ utility.

http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/

What the "Hybrid" gives you is the option to choose an input other than just a monitor with 1 single DP input. Naturally G-Sync works only over DP, but you have the option to use alternative inputs as well at the sacrifice of G-Sync. But if your gaming at 144FPS, then G-Sync doesn't matter to you anyways. That is when BenQ's firmware would be more beneficial.

Last edited:
Interesting. ULMB on the Swift doesn't work in conjunction with Gsync. Now it looks like Gsync doesn't play well with BenQ's extra monitor features either. I wonder if it's because nVidia limits them to running vanilla settings with Gsync to make support from their end simpler, or if it's an actual hardware/software limitation?

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
Freesync won't be available until display port 1.3 comes out I think
DP 1.2a has the ability now to run FreeSync, its just now a monitor needs to come out and support it.

i thought hybrid as in G-Sync and Freesync together in one monitor. guess i think to much...
I was under the same impression, after reading I find this interesting in what it really means to BenQ to be a hybrid lol.

System Name GSYNC
Processor i9-10920X
Motherboard EVGA X299-FTW
Cooling Custom water loop: D5
Memory G.Skill RipJawsZ 16GB 2133mhz 9-11-10-28
Video Card(s) (RTX2080)
Storage OCZ vector, samsung evo 950, Intel M.2 1TB SSD's
Display(s) ROG Swift PG278Q, Acer Z35 and Acer XB270H (NVIDIA G-SYNC)
Case 2x Corsair 450D, Corsair 540
Audio Device(s) sound blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power
Mouse Logitech proteus G502
Keyboard Corsair K70R cherry red
Software WIN10 Pro (UEFI)
Benchmark Scores bench score are for people who don't game.
What happen to the XL2702H 27" that was suppose to have released back in June?

Freesync (as part of the DP spec) isn't ready yet. That's a year from now.
DP1.2a is done. Has been for a few months now. According to AMD on their Freesync FAQ page we should see monitors 4thQ this year or 1stQ next.

AMD has undertaken every necessary effort to enable Project FreeSync in the display ecosystem. Monitor vendors are now integrating the DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync specification and productizing compatible displays. AMD is working closely with these vendors to bring products to market, and we expect compatible monitors in the 4Q14-1Q15 timeframe.

So, soon(ish), maybe?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Indeed, the issue now is "Project Freesync", whatever that means.

I'm hoping AMD can persuade my monitor manufacturer they don't want to sell me a new monitor at all, but rather give me a free firmware update instead.

Interesting. ULMB on the Swift doesn't work in conjunction with Gsync. Now it looks like Gsync doesn't play well with BenQ's extra monitor features either. I wonder if it's because nVidia limits them to running vanilla settings with Gsync to make support from their end simpler, or if it's an actual hardware/software limitation?

ULMB is not variable. They would need to have both hardware/software to be aware of the on going changes in the monitor to sync and properly work.

ULMB is not variable. They would need to have both hardware/software to be aware of the on going changes in the monitor to sync and properly work.
That was what I figured, but it seems to not play nice with any additional features.

That was what I figured, but it seems to not play nice with any additional features.

They need something like what eDP 1.3 can provide where the panels TCON can be communicated with and can control the backlight. I think some dude posted a pic once...hehe

It's rumored that DP 1.3 will set standards for this and with AMDs specs being submitted to VESA and incorporated into DP 1.2a. It might be a good possibility we'll see it sooner rather then later.