• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces the Crossblade Ranger FM2+ Motherboard

Up until now FM2+ has been for entry to mid-level applications. That will change in the not too distant future as more powerful AMD APUs for socket FM2+ become available. Yes this mobo is a little ahead of it's time - for a reason. Asus always wants to get the maximum sales by being "first" to market when a new opportunity presents itself.

Contrary to many false reports and speculation, AMD has NOT discontinued development of high end discrete desktop CPUs. They will come along next year but in the meantime the FM2+ platform will get another performance boost. The fact that existing AMD APUs OC so well is good news as AMD slowly ramps APU performance.

Note: Don't expect AMD to give away their APUs as you are getting a competent CPU and GPU for the price of one processor. The value proposition is quite high and will continue to improve over time as new APUs show up.

Up until now FM2+ has been for entry to mid-level applications. That will change in the not too distant future as more powerful AMD APUs for socket FM2+ become available. Yes this mobo is a little ahead of it's time - for a reason. Asus always wants to get the maximum sales by being "first" to market when a new opportunity presents itself.

Contrary to many false reports and speculation, AMD has NOT discontinued development of high end discrete desktop CPUs. They will come along next year but in the meantime the FM2+ platform will get another performance boost. The fact that existing AMD APUs OC so well is good news as AMD slowly ramps APU performance.

Note: Don't expect AMD to give away their APUs as you are getting a competent CPU and GPU for the price of one processor. The value proposition is quite high and will continue to improve over time as new APUs show up.
yea they might NEXT year but in the meantime i'm upgrading THIS year so while i'll get a rp-290/290x i'll be going with a intel 4770k/4790k CPU

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
yea they might NEXT year but in the meantime i'm upgrading THIS year so while i'll get a rp-290/290x i'll be going with a intel 4770k/4790k CPU

Well more power to you. No need to bitch and moan when your decision was made awhile ago. Go back to the cave you came from troll.

Last edited:
There's certainly no reason to buy some "high-end" motherboard based on speculation that in the future there might be an AMD FM2+ chip that would make a high-end motherboard make sense. If such a CPU actually materializes, there will be new "high-end" motherboards too. I'm not really convinced that AMD is still interested in or even capable of developing a CPU/APU that will move them up the food chain. What they do say they are building ends up late, and their future stuff is foggy and not exactly talking

ASUS of course just wants to sell you stuff. Obviously they think the FM2+ gamer segment has a few followers who will buy a color-coordinated, feature-packed mobo.

Last edited:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Fm2 is a mainstream market platform. Pretty much this is the test bed for future amd products. The Gpu on the apu is still far more capable of running games and movies,doing cad and can be combined with a card to increase machine capability compared to the igpu in intel parts. But with whats going on you might aswell say there is no need for high end motherboards on 1150 when the perf delta between 1155 and 1150 isnt considerably better. I see more sb and ivb users keep their cpus and boards than jumping to haswell. These boards are a niche market part just like the Tuf/rog intel boards. Just because it isnt an intel doesnt mean people are not getting the platform and modding or gaming on them. They do hold their own in gaming...

There's certainly no reason to buy some "high-end" motherboard based on speculation that in the future there might be an AMD FM2+ chip that would make a high-end motherboard make sense. If such a CPU actually materializes, there will be new "high-end" motherboards too. I'm not really convinced that AMD is still interested in or even capable of developing a CPU/APU that will move them up the food chain. What they do say they are building ends up late, and their future stuff is foggy and not exactly talking

ASUS of course just wants to sell you stuff. Obviously they think the FM2+ gamer segment has a few followers who will buy a color-coordinated, feature-packed mobo.