• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8, cant install updates properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
I too have had my share of issues with W8 and 8.1 updates. Even through 3 reinstalls and one refresh. This last round has been the most pleasant, but I do have to surmise, MS "broke" something on Windows updates with W8 series. The internet has too many threads devoted to it vs W7 updates for it not to be a problem. While I know it doesn't happen to everyone, it's still very common.

That said, I've stuck with it, and pushed through, never once rage-quitting and swearing to reinstall W7, so I think I am giving a very honest assessment of W8 and updates. Besides, there are too many improvements in W8.1 vs 7 to not like it overall!

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming.
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Air Cooler 6 heat pipes.
Memory Patriot Viper 32gig dual channel 3600mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor HellHound RX 7900 GRE OC
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Display(s) Panasonic 40-inch 4k TV
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G6 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Some cheap wireless thing
Keyboard Razer Cynosa lite
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2 128gig version
Software Windows 11 pro 64bit
agreed. as for updates I realized it's because they take a LOOONG time to unpack and install, and windows sometimes installs critical updates with no notification. so then if you try to do windows update at the same time it fails. my solution was to just wait 40~ mins or so and windows finished it's backround updates (again no notification) I went to restart and lo and behold it says update & restart. after that regular updates worked fine.

I ended up just downloading 3 or 4 of the big updates first and letting them install then i will keep doing it till 8.1 is offered.

It also seems to be internet explorer that causes most my issues, It's as if it trys to install fixes for IE9/10 or what ever while trying to install IE11 and it just fails badly lol.

If i don't allow IE to be installed i have a much better experience with updates.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
erm, no it doesn't.

regardless, I was just pointing out how ridiculous your comment was. It's not healthy to get that worked up over software bud. I couldn't even read your last post it was rather stream-of-consciousness rant-like and i've seen enough w8 rant posts.

Nope not really just facts and proof nothing more and if people cant handle that then its not my problem sorry :)

Im not going to continue with this, the people/community have spoken and thats that.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
the people/community have spoken and thats that.
right, but only the people that you agree with. everyone else is wrong.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Storage 2X Samsung 860 EVO SSD's 500gig / 2TB crucial P3-NVME / WD-BLUE SN550 1TB M.2 / SP A55 512gig
Case Modded NZXT H510
Audio Device(s) Realtek S1220A - Yamaha A-S501 AMP - 4 x Wharfedale diamond 9.1 speakers - Wharfedale SW150 sub
Nope not really just facts and proof nothing more and if people cant handle that then its not my problem sorry :)

Im not going to continue with this, the people/community have spoken and thats that.

And it's not our problem you don't like windows 8/8.1 and at the end of the day many people use it and have no issues so why does it have to bother you so much?

Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
right, but only the people that you agree with. everyone else is wrong.

Yep only the majority of the population agrees with me compared to the few that don't, guess you didn't read my other post correctly?, glad your finally realizing it though lol.

And it's not our problem you don't like windows 8/8.1 and at the end of the day many people use it and have no issues so why does it have to bother you so much?

I didn't say it was, facts are facts, just google it boys its not that hard lol. and again I guess you skipped my other post? go back have a read and you might learn something. It doesnt bother me at all it makes me money!! so I dont care, but at the end of the day facts are facts boys W8 just isnt a step in the right direction and most agree, thats just how it is, period! If it was as good as you both claim it to be (and yes I have Windows 8 on a PC here) then WHY isnt everyone jumping to it?

If you guys don't know how to use google then you got alot to learn, im sorry. *shrugs*

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I didn't say it was, facts are facts, just google it boys its not that hard lol. and again I guess you skipped my other post? go back have a read and you might learn something. It doesnt bother me at all it makes me money!! so I dont care, but at the end of the day facts are facts boys W8 just isnt a step in the right direction and most agree, thats just how it is, period! If it was as good as you both claim it to be (and yes I have Windows 8 on a PC here) then WHY isnt everyone jumping to it?

If you guys don't know how to use google then you got alot to learn, im sorry. *shrugs*

The reason they jump on it is because it is Windows 8. It IS like Vista in that it has gotten a bad name, everyone hates it even if they have no idea about anything about it. Everyone says it sucks because that is the way it's supposed to be. Vista wasn't terrible, but people thought it was. If you replaced all "Vistas" in Vista with "7" people would not complain. If MS made a custom Windows 8 that said "Windows X" or something and showed it to people they would like it better than they would if it said Windows 8. It has problems sure but if you look beside the UI complaints it is probably a better OS than Windows 7. And if you have problems with the UI, use one of them things that brings back the start meny and you're golden.

The updating process could probably be improved though, that is true.

And besides, Googling ANYTHING related to Windows 8 will bring biased results, because everyone hates it BECAUSE everyone hates it. Complaints (no matter if the cause is real or imagined) is always louder than praise.

EDIT: Wait why did this turn to this again? Windows 9 will be out next year and we're still on this crap? :(

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Yep only the majority of the population agrees with me compared to the few that don't

oh so it's a numbers game then? how many do you need to win?

if only 49% agree do you lose? 51% wins? how many people have to agree with you before you're right? conversely, how many have to disagree before you even consider the possibility that you are wrong?

the majority of people are stupid, so excuse me if I don't take your generalization of their thoughts as law.

The reason they jump on it is because it is Windows 8. It IS like Vista in that it has gotten a bad name, everyone hates it even if they have no idea about anything about it. Everyone says it sucks because that is the way it's supposed to be. Vista wasn't terrible, but people thought it was. If you replaced all "Vistas" in Vista with "7" people would not complain. If MS made a custom Windows 8 that said "Windows X" or something and showed it to people they would like it better than they would if it said Windows 8. It has problems sure but if you look beside the UI complaints it is probably a better OS than Windows 7. And if you have problems with the UI, use one of them things that brings back the start meny and you're golden.

The updating process could probably be improved though, that is true.

And besides, Googling ANYTHING related to Windows 8 will bring biased results, because everyone hates it BECAUSE everyone hates it. Complaints (no matter if the cause is real or imagined) is always louder than praise.

EDIT: Wait why did this turn to this again? Windows 9 will be out next year and we're still on this crap? :(

That makes no sense, who is they? because there isnt many that have jumped to Windows 8, thats already a no brainer, people have tried it, didnt like it, found it was just a step backwards, not as good as there current Winodws 7 machine so people avoided it. i should know I run a business selling and fixing computers, people avoid windows 8, even without me saying anything, its just a fact. Exactly right it IS like Vista, and what happened to Vista? people went straight back to XP, same thing here, no different they go find or go back to W7. But why do they hate it Frick? you can say they hate it all you like but to give no reason doesnt make it right, its becasue it was a terrible, slow, crash alot OS, thats just some reasons why. If you say Vista wasnt terrible then why did everyone avoid it? you are making no sense at all. People thought the same about Windows 7, after Vista, but look what happened, its now the most used OS on the planet, why? becasue it didnt suck, even though people thought it would after Vista, so what your saying just doesnt add up.

And why do you think that Frick if you google anything about Windows 8? because it is bad, its not biased if there are millions of people saying the same thing now is it? its people that say it is good is the ones that are biased because they cant handle the facts, period! Your statement makes no sense what so ever sorry :S Would you say the same thing about Windows 7 then? the answer is no.

oh so it's a numbers game then? how many do you need to win?

if only 49% agree do you lose? 51% wins? how many people have to agree with you before you're right? conversely, how many have to disagree before you even consider the possibility that you are wrong?

the majority of people are stupid, so excuse me if I don't take your generalization of their thoughts as law.

Of course its a numbers game, if you ever worked in business then its always a numbers game, Ive already won, I dont "need" to win, facts are facts, if you cant see them and decided to avoid the facts then its your lose not mine.

lol your not very bright I can see that, maybe if you looked at the actual numbers then you might see the light, ill give you a test see if you know how to use google, go look on google and tell me the numbers of people using Windows 8 vs 7 heck lets add in Vista also, and tell me what those numbers are, then tell me WHY those numbers are like that.

Yes majority are stupid but obviously smart enough to avoid the bad operating systems hey? like Vista vs XP and W7 vs W8, numbers dont lie, facts are all there for everyone to see. IF W8 was a good OS then people would jump to it, like they did 7, but they didnt, people arnt that stupid after all it seems?

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
That makes no sense, who is they? because there isnt many that have jumped to Windows 8, thats already a no brainer, people have tried it, didnt like it, found it was just a step backwards, not as good as there current Winodws 7 machine so people avoided it. i should know I run a business selling and fixing computers, people avoid windows 8, even without me saying anything, its just a fact. Exactly right it IS like Vista, and what happened to Vista? people went straight back to XP, same thing here, no different they go find or go back to W7. But why do they hate it Frick? you can say they hate it all you like but to give no reason doesnt make it right, its becasue it was a terrible, slow, crash alot OS, thats just some reasons why. If you say Vista wasnt terrible then why did everyone avoid it? you are making no sense at all. People thought the same about Windows 7, after Vista, but look what happened, its now the most used OS on the planet, why? becasue it didnt suck, even though people thought it would after Vista, so what your saying just doesnt add up.

And why do you think that Frick if you google anything about Windows 8? because it is bad, its not biased if there are millions of people saying the same thing now is it? its people that say it is good is the ones that are biased because they cant handle the facts, period! Your statement makes no sense what so ever sorry :S Would you say the same thing about Windows 7 then? the answer is no.

Again, they hate it because that is what they are supposed to do. That's the point. Some have reason, and good reason, but plenty just hate it for the sake of hating. I know tons of people (anecdotal evidence is the only real evidence on the internet) who absolutely HATED Vista and refused to touch it with a ten foot pole ... without ever even trying it, at all. They refused, because ... that was Right. It's the same with Windows 8.

Aside from UI complaints, some of those are totally valid. And others too obviously, but it doesn't deserve the venom it's getting.

System Name PC-Chips
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Case Modded NZXT H510
So what i can gather from reading all this stuff thats been posted is people who use windows 8.1 are stupid and bias and not very bright.

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
This thread has served it's purpose, it has already managed to become a Win 7 versus 8 and that aint happening any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.