• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Time for an Upgrade! Appreciate ALL help!

System Name The Terminator.
Processor Intel i7 950 3.06Ghz.
Motherboard Asus P6X58D-Extreme
Cooling Stock.
Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Dominator-GT Memory Kit CL8 (8-9-8-24) 1.65V
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5.
Storage WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s / OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD.
Display(s) 24'' Widescreen Samsung 1080p.
Case Antec 1200 Gaming Case.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Power Supply TX 650W Corsair
Software Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
Hello all,

Been a while since i posted round these boards, how are ya'll?

Well I'm back for another upgrade so i've come back here for some advice as the people here are usually very helpful!

CURRENT RIG
Motherboard:
Nforce 4 Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra SKT 939 6.70 nForce drivers.
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE_Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+ San Diego Chip - 2.26GHZ
RAM: Corsair 2048MB - 2X512 Sticks 1X1GB Stick - DDR400 - PC3200 - DIMM - 2X184Pinn - Unbuffered.
Hard Drive: 80 Gigabyte MAXTOR 6L080M0 (SATA)
Power Supply: Hiper Technology Type R(Blue) - 580 Continuous Wattage.

HOPEFUL RIG
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....rodid=CP-128-IN

Intel Extreme D975XBX2KR BAD AXE 2 975X (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard - Retail
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....id=5&subcat=174

Now, my QUESTIONS:
1) What would be the best ATi-Crossfire card to get? Was thinking the master edition X1950XT bla bla bla but i was thinking should i wait for their new DX10 card?
2) What RAM would you recommend? Not too expensive but decent!
3) Would my PSU be good enough still to sustain a new system like that?
4) Any Hard Drive manufacturer recommendations?
5) Any other recommendations or comments?

My PC knowledge has gone so rusty since its been a while since i upgraded and i've found myself forgetting stuff / not knowing what i should be doing ha.

Thanks a LOT guys appreciate all help.

Hux.

If you want to save some money of the processor then you could get an E6420 processor and just OC it (it has the same amount of cache, but lower clocks).

Also, instead of the bad axe maybe you want to look at the 680i boards (they are a bit cheaper and offer similar functionality) or if you dont want to go SLI/Crossfire check out the Gigabyte DS3 board.

As for Hard Drive, I usually go either Western Digital or Seagate since (to me) they offer the higher quality hard drivers. Usually local retail stores have good deals that are sometimes cheaper than newegg.

As for your PSU, how many amps do you have on the 12V rails. If there is around 38A then I would say its pretty good, but you wont be able to SLI the new DX10 cards. If you want to take a look at a PSU check out one of the best on the market, the Corsair HX620W.

As for RAM, the prices have dropped very nicely. You can now get a good 2GB kit for the low to mid $100s. May I suggest going for Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1GB set of either DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 (which ever is cheaper). These sticks use Micron D9 chips and OC very well. Take a look at the Hot Deals section, there is a deal with these on buy.com (ends the 7th so hurry - I believe its $99 for 2GBs of this).

As for the GPU, I would suggest to wait for ATI to launch their 10 DX10 cards. This should make Nvidia lower their prices and you could have a killer card. But if you need to get one now I suggest looking at the 8800GTS 320mb card. I have seen them for around $250 online AR.

Cooling Stock.
Memory Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000MHz Dominator-GT Memory Kit CL8 (8-9-8-24) 1.65V
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
If you want to save some money of the processor then you could get an E6420 processor and just OC it (it has the same amount of cache, but lower clocks).

Also, instead of the bad axe maybe you want to look at the 680i boards (they are a bit cheaper and offer similar functionality) or if you dont want to go SLI/Crossfire check out the Gigabyte DS3 board.

As for Hard Drive, I usually go either Western Digital or Seagate since (to me) they offer the higher quality hard drivers. Usually local retail stores have good deals that are sometimes cheaper than newegg.

As for your PSU, how many amps do you have on the 12V rails. If there is around 38A then I would say its pretty good, but you wont be able to SLI the new DX10 cards. If you want to take a look at a PSU check out one of the best on the market, the Corsair HX620W.

As for RAM, the prices have dropped very nicely. You can now get a good 2GB kit for the low to mid $100s. May I suggest going for Crucial Ballistix 2 x 1GB set of either DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 (which ever is cheaper). These sticks use Micron D9 chips and OC very well. Take a look at the Hot Deals section, there is a deal with these on buy.com (ends the 7th so hurry - I believe its $99 for 2GBs of this).

As for the GPU, I would suggest to wait for ATI to launch their 10 DX10 cards. This should make Nvidia lower their prices and you could have a killer card. But if you need to get one now I suggest looking at the 8800GTS 320mb card. I have seen them for around $250 online AR.

Wow VERY insightful Bruins, thanks a lot, i will go check out your recommendations now! Note though: I am in the UK, which means my retailers and prices will differ greatly!

I'll let you know how i get on mate.

Hux.

Wow VERY insightful Bruins, thanks a lot, i will go check out your recommendations now! Note though: I am in the UK, which means my retailers and prices will differ greatly!

I'll let you know how i get on mate.

Hux.

Ahh yes that could def. differ slightly.
But I do know that DDR2 RAM has fell in prices all around so at least it will be cheaper :)

Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Okay i went and searched for the ram you proposed! I couldn't find a better deal than 99$ (Which is superb) but i did find this; http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-093-CR at £126.

Unless Buy.com ship to the UK?

I've noticed a lot of bad reviews floating around Crucial ram, i usually stick with Corsair as they have always worked for me *Touch wood* straight off the bat. What do you make of this too; http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC ?

Also, the Processor advice you gave was great, ill save a bit of cash on relatively the same CPU!

The thing is, im not so confident with overclocking a CPU or RAM, never have infact.

Let me know what you think mate.

Hux.

EDIT: Also, i think ill stick with the BAD motherboard - i like the sounds of it and its ATi Crossfire compatible, i'm an ATi man so just incase for future reference Crossfire mode may appeal to me. Is this mobo compatible with the ram i currently have and/or the new RAM we've been looking at? I've totally forgotten what to look for, feel like a newblet. :(

EDIT AGAIN: Sorry, just checked, says it only supports DDR2 SDRAM? Does it have to be SDRAM?

Last edited:
Okay i went and searched for the ram you proposed! I couldn't find a better deal than 99$ (Which is superb) but i did find this; http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-093-CR at £126.

Unless Buy.com ship to the UK?

I've noticed a lot of bad reviews floating around Crucial ram, i usually stick with Corsair as they have always worked for me *Touch wood* straight off the bat. What do you make of this too; http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC ?

Also, the Processor advice you gave was great, ill save a bit of cash on relatively the same CPU!

The thing is, im not so confident with overclocking a CPU or RAM, never have infact.

Let me know what you think mate.

Hux.

Some of the bad reviews about Crucial has come up bc there was a bad batch of RAM that was sent out.
However, they have a lifetime warranty and have the most OCable chips in the RAM you listed.

As for the OCZ RAM, they use Epilida or Promo chips, which are not very OCable.
They are good, but you wont be able to squeeze too much more performance out of them.
Also, when you first boot your computer, you might have to use 1 stick and then set the voltages.
The reason for the is bc the OCZ RAM uses high voltages to work properly (like 2.1V).

Corsair is an OK brand.
However, I dont suggest them anymore since they recently changed their chips from Micron Ds to Epilida chips without telling anyone.
So I dont use them bc of that (however their PSU is excellent).

However, a better bet than that OCZ RAM is if you can get any Corsair XMS RAM.
This RAM is very stable, but wont OC that much.

If you want to OC the proc, then you should get DDR2-800 RAM and above.
If not then you can get DDR2-667 RAM.
With prices recently dropping, you wont save that much between DDR2-800 and DDR2-667, but you do save some money.

Also, if you want to save money, then take a look at the mobos I suggested :)
That should save you a pretty penny

From what I have seen thats not a bad price for 2GB of Crucial RAM in the UK.

Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Some of the bad reviews about Crucial has come up bc there was a bad batch of RAM that was sent out.
However, they have a lifetime warranty and have the most OCable chips in the RAM you listed.

As for the OCZ RAM, they use Epilida or Promo chips, which are not very OCable.
They are good, but you wont be able to squeeze too much more performance out of them.
Also, when you first boot your computer, you might have to use 1 stick and then set the voltages.
The reason for the is bc the OCZ RAM uses high voltages to work properly (like 2.1V).

Corsair is an OK brand.
However, I dont suggest them anymore since they recently changed their chips from Micron Ds to Epilida chips without telling anyone.
So I dont use them bc of that (however their PSU is excellent).

However, a better bet than that OCZ RAM is if you can get any Corsair XMS RAM.
This RAM is very stable, but wont OC that much.

If you want to OC the proc, then you should get DDR2-800 RAM and above.
If not then you can get DDR2-667 RAM.
With prices recently dropping, you wont save that much between DDR2-800 and DDR2-667, but you do save some money.

Also, if you want to save money, then take a look at the mobos I suggested :)
That should save you a pretty penny

From what I have seen thats not a bad price for 2GB of Crucial RAM in the UK.

You definitely seem to know your stuff mate, cheers. I would like to let you know now though that i most likely won't be overclocking any of this stuff in a hurry, if at all. I'm not so confident with overclocking CPU's, RAM and fiddling with the BIOS as of yet.

Anyway, I have just found this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-090-CR. The same RAM you found on Buy.com but about 50$ more expensive which im willing to pay since you say its good RAM. £100 for 2GB of 800Mhz DD2 ram really aint bad so this is making me reach for my wallet. Will this stuff work on the motherboard im looking to buy? The Mobo is DDR2 SDRAM compatible but im not sure this ram is 'SDRAM' or am i being stupid?

Motherboards:
I did take a look at the Motherboards you suggested but they were all SLI based and i think I'm set on getting the original BAD motherboard i had in mind. It would be great if you could perhaps link me to one of your cheaper recommendations and i may reconsider but from what i've found so far i'm happy with the BADX.

Thanks again for your help mate!

Hux.

You definitely seem to know your stuff mate, cheers. I would like to let you know now though that i most likely won't be overclocking any of this stuff in a hurry, if at all. I'm not so confident with overclocking CPU's, RAM and fiddling with the BIOS as of yet.

Anyway, I have just found this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-090-CR. The same RAM you found on Buy.com but about 50$ more expensive which im willing to pay since you say its good RAM. £100 for 2GB of 800Mhz DD2 ram really aint bad so this is making me reach for my wallet. Will this stuff work on the motherboard im looking to buy? The Mobo is DDR2 SDRAM compatible but im not sure this ram is 'SDRAM' or am i being stupid?

Motherboards:
I did take a look at the Motherboards you suggested but they were all SLI based and i think I'm set on getting the original BAD motherboard i had in mind. It would be great if you could perhaps link me to one of your cheaper recommendations and i may reconsider but from what i've found so far i'm happy with the BADX.

Thanks again for your help mate!

Hux.

Yes that memory will work with that motherboard.
All it is saying is that it needs DDR2 RAM.

You seem pretty content of getting that mobo so I wont try to sway you any way on that.
As for the GPU I would say stick with what you have for now.
Since you arent looking to go SLI your PSU should be pretty good to run any GPU at the moment.

Cooling Stock.
Audio Device(s) Realtek.
Okay Bruins thanks for the help matey! Im sure you will be hearing from me in the future, ill let ya'll know how i got on.

Cheers,

Hux.