• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows (10) and BIOS can see only half of the memory (16gb/32gb) only two slots are active at time

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuniyhimik

SUMMARY:

So in the end it looks like the motherboard is faulty. It is unable to work with 2 channels at the same time.
No amount of resets, BIOS upgrades, manual settings could solve the issue. No more than 2 DIMMs would be active.

Thank you guys very much for helping me figure out the cause of my frustrations. I received much more feedback than expected)

I will proceed with purchase of new board and CPU, but I think this is the end of my relationship with ASUS - this is my 3rd board from them, and all had some issues.
Is this the regular occurrence - screwed up motherboards? Is it more like a norm than exception?
Are Gygabyte or some other brand boards better(more reliable)? I don't feel like wasting money every 2 years on a new board...

I still don't get why every software (CPU-z, Speccy) is able to see all 4 slots and calculate the total memory, but BIOS can't see them... Looks like Asus just want to make my life miserable))

Attachments

• speccy.jpg
    speccy.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 1,538
Last edited:
SUMMARY:

So in the end it looks like the motherboard is faulty. It is unable to work with 2 channels at the same time.
No amount of resets, BIOS upgrades, manual settings could solve the issue. No more than 2 DIMMs would be active.

Thank you guys very much for helping me figure out the cause of my frustrations. I received much more feedback than expected)

I will proceed with purchase of new board and CPU, but I think this is the end of my relationship with ASUS - this is my 3rd board from them, and all had some issues.
Is this the regular occurrence - screwed up motherboards? Is it more like a norm than exception?
Are Gygabyte or some other brand boards better(more reliable)? I don't feel like wasting money every 2 years on a new board...

I still don't get why every software (CPU-z, Speccy) is able to see all 4 slots and calculate the total memory, but BIOS can't see them... Looks like Asus just want to make my life miserable))

Np, ASUS make very good mid high end boards but not cheaper units in my experience. You have an LX which is a budget model.

Tbh I've had about 4 ASUS boards die early, out of maybe....15? One was an A8N SLI Premium, which at the time was the most expensive nF4 board available..... I blame Nvidia. :p
The others were cheap.

I keep sticking with them because when they go, they go well.. :)
Right now I have a Sabertooth, M5A97 Evo, and a M4A87....all going strong, all overclocked.

GA are OK, and newer Asrock I guess... brands I wouldn't suggest are MSI/Biostar/Foxconn etc.

Last edited:
System Name The Yellow Box
Processor AMD K5 100
Motherboard Intel 5DVX0130
Cooling A snazzy stock cooler
Memory 64MB EDO SIMM
Video Card(s) ATI Mach 64 4MB + Creative Voodoo 8MB
Storage IBM 1.6GB IDE + IBM 3.2GB IDE
Display(s) 15" AOC CRT (Terrible, terrible POS)
Case Cheapo Yellow Box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster
Power Supply No name 200W
Mouse Microsoft IntelliMouse
Keyboard Cherry G80
Software Windows 98Se
SUMMARY:

My experience with Asus is absolutely abysmal.
Nothing and I do mean NOTHING I ever owned, that had the Asus logo, worked as it should or died in flames.

Graphics cards: fan died fried card; capacitor exploded fried card; sudden death mode; DOA; out of box OC card that artifacted till clocks lowered;
Motherboard: two consecutive DOA; a board that is unstable even after 2 PCB revisions; board that got its support dropped after not even a year; sudden death mode;
CD-RW: DOA; replacement had a faulty eject button;
Screen: backlight died 1 month after warranty;

And many more that I don’t remember at the moment. Luckily the warranty/RMA here is quite pain free, which can’t be said for their US division.
Too bad really, since they do have some nice looking/performing products.

Now I mostly buy Gigabyte/MSI and I’ve yet to have a problem.

So to summarize: Stay away from Asus, especially if you’re from the US and have to deal with their RMA.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Enermax ETX-T50RGB
Memory CL16 BL2K16G36C16U4RL 3600 1:1 micron e-die
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3070 Ti GAMING OC
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Display(s) LG Ultra Gear 32 1440p 165hz Dell 1440p 75hz
Case Phanteks P300 /w 300A front panel conversion
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply SeaSonic Focus+ Platinum 750W
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
Software Windows 11 +startisallback
the board is not defective its just simply not compatible with your kit of ram
you need to understand that when you are talking about high-density ram kits that are more then 16GB particularly when running 4 sticks it results are offen hit or miss if the memory isn't on the boards QVL

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
you need to understand that when you are talking about high-density ram kits that are more then 16GB particularly when running 4 sticks it results are offen hit or miss if the memory isn't on the boards QVL
We don't even know if the OP reseated the CPU or has tested each slot or each DIMM individually. The obvious is being ignored...

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Storage ADATA SX8200PRO NVME 512GB, Intel 545s 500GBSSD, ADATA SU800 SSD, 3TB Spinner
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
We don't even know if the OP reseated the CPU or has tested each slot or each DIMM individually. The obvious is being ignored...
he did try reading the thread again page 1 posts 1 2 and 3

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
he did try reading the thread again page 1 posts 1 2 and 3
Touche, you're right, it's kind of hidden between two pictures. The OP did say sets of two were tested. I said test one DIMM in each slot, which could be enlightening. If there is an issue with a particular slot, the machine should not boot when you put a DIMM on whatever is having trouble being read if that is the problem. If it were the IMC, you would think that running at 1333Mhz would resolve the problem, or even 1066Mhz/800Mhz. It could just be the board or the BIOS.

Last edited:
Dunno how the BIOS would
If it was density only part or none of a DIMM would be seen, even with 1 stick.

@Aquinis I don't know how the BIOS itself could affect the amount of RAM showing up since RAM is enumerated by chipset.. The BIOS doesn't know how much is actually installed is until then....
Even if it reserved an ungodly amount for hardware it should still list the whole lot, but only 16gb is there

The only other thing it could be imho is a fubared IMC, but then I don't know why CPU -z shows 32gb and windows doesn't... Maybe u do..? (seriously..)
But how far do u wanna go...he's tried everything else. We'll be getting down to component level before long....:)

I've seen this a few times anyway, just like the other guy said as well. Actually here's another example I just found.....same exact issue. Borad had a scratch across the pcb...

http://forums.evga.com/Asus-Rampage...l-A-NOT-WORKING-2-sticks-missing-m724953.aspx

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Dunno how the BIOS would
If it was density only part or none of a DIMM would be seen, even with 1 stick.

@Aquinis I don't know how the BIOS itself could affect the amount of RAM showing up since RAM is enumerated by chipset.. The BIOS doesn't know how much is actually installed is until then....
Even if it reserved an ungodly amount for hardware it should still list the whole lot, but only 16gb is there

The only other thing it could be imho is a fubared IMC, but then I don't know why CPU -z shows 32gb and windows doesn't... Maybe u do..? (seriously..)
But how far do u wanna go...he's tried everything else. We'll be getting down to component level before long....:)

I've seen this a few times anyway, just like the other guy said as well. Actually here's another example I just found.....same exact issue. Borad had a scratch across the pcb...

http://forums.evga.com/Asus-Rampage...l-A-NOT-WORKING-2-sticks-missing-m724953.aspx
Take another peek at the pictures he provided in the first post. The BIOS shows each DIMM but on the first BIOS page, it only says the total is 16GB. So even the BIOS is showing all DIMMs but only half the total capacity. I was about to suggest looking at msconfig to see if a max memory cap was there but, that wouldn't explain the 16GB number in the BIOS.

As far as CPU-Z showing all 32GB, it could be the tool adding up the totals from SPD and not reading how much is available with respect to what's actually usable but, that's only a guess.

As I said earlier, if there is a DIMM slot that's bad, the OP should be able to run one DIMM in every slot, or at the very least, two DIMMs per channel at once.

Personally, I would test with the following DIMM slots populated:
a1, a2, b1, b2, a1 + b1, a1 + a2, b1 + b2

That will cover every DIMM slot, so assume it's not a physical issue with the board, the machine should boot and detect 8GB for the one DIMM tests, and 16GB for the two DIMM tests in every configuration listed.

Personally, I have a hunch that only 8GB might show up with DIMMs in A1+A2 or B1+B2, as opposed to running in dual channel as A1+B1.

yuniyhimik

Take another peek at the pictures he provided in the first post. The BIOS shows each DIMM but on the first BIOS page, it only says the total is 16GB. So even the BIOS is showing all DIMMs but only half the total capacity. I was about to suggest looking at msconfig to see if a max memory cap was there but, that wouldn't explain the 16GB number in the BIOS.

As far as CPU-Z showing all 32GB, it could be the tool adding up the totals from SPD and not reading how much is available with respect to what's actually usable but, that's only a guess.

As I said earlier, if there is a DIMM slot that's bad, the OP should be able to run one DIMM in every slot, or at the very least, two DIMMs per channel at once.

Personally, I would test with the following DIMM slots populated:
a1, a2, b1, b2, a1 + b1, a1 + a2, b1 + b2

That will cover every DIMM slot, so assume it's not a physical issue with the board, the machine should boot and detect 8GB for the one DIMM tests, and 16GB for the two DIMM tests in every configuration listed.

Personally, I have a hunch that only 8GB might show up with DIMMs in A1+A2 or B1+B2, as opposed to running in dual channel as A1+B1.

Ok, guys, previously I have already tested this, but I can see that I wasn't very clear about it.
Now, to be very precise, I've retested everything and here are the results (I have dual channel board, with 4 slots, 2 of the old Gskill 4g memory modules and 4 of the new Kingston 8g modules (from 1 kit))
All of the memory modules are completely fine (both 4x8G new and 2x4g old) - each of them works, and they work in combination as well.
ALL of the individual memory slots on the motherboard are fine (I've just put 1 dimm in each at a time - computer started without problem).
Using 2 dimms in one channel works, whether its old, new, or mix - it shows 8, 16, 12 gigs respectively.
Using 2 dimms in different channels doesn't work. Computer loads, but can only see 1 of them (the ones that are in slot 1 and 3)
It does not look like a compatility issue, because I've done exact same thing with my old memory, that worked fine for many years and is of low density - if I put 2 in the same channel - 8 gigs shows up, if I put 1 in each channel - only 4 gigs shows up. Exactly the same thing as with new memory.

So here you have it... Maximum memory cap is unchecked (first thing I looked into), and in bios both channels are set to active (use both channels setting). Also, it doesn't look like it's the ram timing or voltage issue or frequency setting - I've tried changing each parameter to no result. I've tried using Auto, XMP, Manual mode in bios for memory management - none changed anything. There does not appear to be any bent pins on cpu, as I've checked and re-seated the cooler. There does not appear to be any damage to the board. I have transported it by plane about 1 year ago, but was very careful and didn't damage it.

I don't know what to make of it. I don't have enough knowledge in architecture to guess the issue

^The only time I've ever seen sticks which only run in single channel is when the IMC can't handle the speed, but you said ealier running at 1066 didn';t help.

Can u run AiDA or something and get the density and Bank/Rank specs?

There is only one DIMM accounted for in the BIOS screenshot. DIMM A1. That's the selected slot.
No other modules are accounted for, so we don't know how many the bios has detected. But I assume 2 since he has 4x 8GB sticks... and it reads 16GB.

We know 2 channels don't work because he tested with 2 4GB and 2 8GB sticks, but only 1 4GB and 1 8GB showed .
Which indicates it's not a density problem....if it was both 8GB sticks would disappear. The 4GB sticks were his old ones....

Unless....are u talking about the CPU-z shot?
The jedecs listed are for only one stick, that's not not 4 sticks you see, it's 4 different jedec timings for that stick...otherwise idk..

Edit: k just read his last post..
Could be density if the sticks only run in single Chanel.... He said he had problems already though with the 4GB ones... so fkd idk... His board supports 32GB tho doesn't it?

Need teamviewer. lol

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
There is only one DIMM accounted for in the BIOS screenshot. DIMM A1. That's the selected slot.
No other modules are accounted for, so we don't know how many the bios has detected. But I assume 2 since he has 4x 8GB sticks... and it reads 16GB.
Read his post.
At the same time, from within BIOS I can see all 4 slots, and each of them shows exactly the same information

The board or IMC might be having trouble running two DIMMs per channel which is why I suggested putting two DIMMs (and only two DIMMs,) in one channel to see if all 16GB are visible or not.

yuniyhimik

^The only time I've ever seen sticks which only run in single channel is when the IMC can't handle the speed, but you said ealier running at 1066 didn';t help.

Can u run AiDA or something and get the density and Bank/Rank specs?

We know 2 channels don't work because he tested with 2 4GB and 2 8GB sticks, but only 1 4GB and 1 8GB showed .
Which indicates it's not a density problem....if it was both 8GB sticks would disappear. The 4GB sticks were his old ones....

Unless....are u talking about the CPU-z shot?
The jedecs listed are for only one stick, that's not not 4 sticks you see, it's 4 different jedec timings for that stick...otherwise idk..

Edit: k just read his last post..
Could be density if the sticks only run in single Chanel.... He said he had problems already though with the 4GB ones... so fkd idk... His board supports 32GB tho doesn't it?

Need teamviewer. lol

Yes, it explicitly states the 32GB support. But since it doesn't see a tiny 8Gb, if its spread over 2 channels - this is obviously not right... 2 dimms 4Gb each should not be a strain on any motherboard. And since it support 16Gb with no issues, as long as they are in same channel, both in 1.5 and 1.6 voltage and speeds from 1066 to 1600 - I feel like "can't handle" is looking less and less likely, especially since we have 2 different kits, from different manufacturers, different densities, and very different years of production...

Yes, it explicitly states the 32GB support. But since it doesn't see a tiny 8Gb, if its spread over 2 channels - this is obviously not right... 2 dimms 4Gb each should not be a strain on any motherboard. And since it support 16Gb with no issues, as long as they are in same channel, both in 1.5 and 1.6 voltage and speeds from 1066 to 1600 - I feel like "can't handle" is looking less and less likely, especially since we have 2 different kits, from different manufacturers, different densities, and very different years of production...
*Update:

OK, mystery solved..hopefully. I'm 99.9% sure it's the RAM.

Remember I said the DOA serial number looked suspicious.....?
We had a near identical situation at work today, then tonight I had a lightbulb moment ... (more like /self facepalm moment) :p

Long story short is the IC's are probably fried but not the SPD programming chips which I assume? is how CPU-z gets the info.....

Take all 4 of those 8GB sticks, install one at a time and try booting. I guarantee 2 of them will cause a POST fail.

If it does fail, then whoever sold the RAM shafted you. intentionally or not....

Last edited:

yuniyhimik

*Update:

OK, mystery solved..hopefully. I'm 99.9% sure it's the RAM.

Remember I said the DOA serial number looked suspicious.....?
We had a near identical situation at work today, then tonight I had a lightbulb moment ... (more like /self facepalm moment) :p

Long story short is the IC's are probably fried but not the SPD programming chips which I assume? is how CPU-z gets the info.....

Take all 4 of those 8GB sticks, install one at a time and try booting. I guarantee 2 of them will cause a POST fail.

If it does fail, then whoever sold the RAM shafted you. intentionally or not....
Wish it was an easy mystery.

Unfortunately in my case computer works with either of the 4 sticks. I've tried it before, and retested now just to be triple sure.
All 4 work individually and in pair, and show proper amount of ram, unless they are in 2 channels.

POST fail means PC wouldn't start, right? The only thing close to that was that I got message once (your pc failed to start correctly), but restarting it with the same dimm in place solved the issue.

Also, it still doesn't work with old memory in 2 channels, while each individual works

I have a pretty hard time believing that since 2 modules were missing in the screenshot you posted earlier. If you're absolutely sure all 4 sticks work, then at least of them are not 8GB modules. If u want I can prove it. Did u see my unedited post?

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Using 2 dimms in different channels doesn't work. Computer loads, but can only see 1 of them (the ones that are in slot 1 and 3)
This is what makes me think its a hardware problem with either the CPU's IMC or the motherboard. If the second channel doesn't work, that could indicate an issue with either. If the OP is also correct in saying that all four DIMMs work in slot 1, that's telling me something else is wrong aside from the DIMMs themselves.
I have a pretty hard time believing that since 2 modules were missing in the screenshot you posted earlier. If you're absolutely sure all 4 sticks work, then at least of them are not 8GB modules. If u want I can prove it. Did u see my unedited post?
He said he tried both his 8GB DIMMs and his old 4GB ones and both displayed the same issue. I would call that a CPU or motherboard issue.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
Cooling Lian Li 011 Dynamic with Bitspower watercooling
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 64GB @ 3600
Video Card(s) MSI 6800XT
Storage 2xSamsung 980 NVME 1 TB RAID 0 , Seagate 3TB HDD
Display(s) LG Ultragear 32 inch 165Hz
Case Lian Li 011 Dynamic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 850W 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 11 Pro
Have you tried memory hole remapping in bios settings?

yuniyhimik

Well, there really is NO reasons for me to lie here))) I want to make my PC work as expected. I've tried each module individually in slot 1, and 1 module in each of the slots - these always work with old and new memory. And if I keep them to one channel - everything works perfectly in any combination. In either of the channels - pairs in A or B work. Its just when I try dims in both channels that I get readings from 1 only.

Have you tried memory hole remapping in bios settings?

I don't know what that is. I've resetted the bios many times, and done some manual timings/voltage/speed adjustments for ram, but never seen memory hole setting there.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
incompatible kit is incompatible
return the ram purchase another kit if you really need 32Gb ... which I HIGHLY Doubt
untill then we are DONE here there is nothing more the Op or any of us can do ...
its just not going to work end of story

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
incompatible kit is incompatible
return the ram purchase another kit if you really need 32Gb ... which I HIGHLY Doubt
untill then we are DONE here there is nothing more the Op or any of us can do ...
its just not going to work end of story
I think you missed the part where he said the same thing is happening with his old 4GB sticks. The OP specifically said that DIMMs on slot 3 (and probably 4 as well,) don't appear to be contributing to the total amount available.

OneMoar

There is Always Moar
System Name RPC MK2.5
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Kone burst Pro
Keyboard EVGA Z15
I think you missed the part where he said the same thing is happening with his old 4GB sticks. The OP specifically said that DIMMs on slot 3 (and probably 4 as well,) don't appear to be contributing to the total amount available.
I read it and chalked it up to the board having terrible memory compatibility + he was mixing kits again
so yea nothing changed

This is what makes me think its a hardware problem with either the CPU's IMC or the motherboard. If the second channel doesn't work, that could indicate an issue with either. If the OP is also correct in saying that all four DIMMs work in slot 1, that's telling me something else is wrong aside from the DIMMs themselves.

He said he tried both his 8GB DIMMs and his old 4GB ones and both displayed the same issue. I would call that a CPU or motherboard issue.
No he didn't, he said the 2x 4GB sticks showed up normally.

I asked him to throw in 1x 4GB and 1x 8GB per channel, 4 in total. He did, then posted a screenshot of 1x 4GB and 1x 8GB in each channel, slot 1 & 3, the other slots were empty. This means from the 8GB sticks he bought he installed one which is ion fact a 4GB module, or else the 8GB stick he installed doesn't have any usable RAM.

It can't be any other reason because of the way Intel remaps memory on dual channel boards.
When the modules are unequal the size of the smallest density is dual and the leftover from the bigger module is remapped by the board, some hybrid single channel,
I don't know exactly how it's remapped but anyway it's not dual channel.

Another point I should make is that by one incredible coincidence I had a 4GB module go bad during a platform test yesterday, and guess what...Exact same symptoms as OP.
Only I double checked and tried post with each module, surprise...surprise, out of 4x4GB sticks, no post with one of them.

12GB shows up in BIOS main page, but in SPD page it's all there.. OS reports 16GB installed, 12GB usable. Running in single channel.

The OS doesn't have any direct access, it's virtualized.
It reads a chip which describes density size, timings etc, however when it comes to address space the BIOS doesn't assign any, because there isn't any RAM to assign.

To windows it would appear the same as hardware reserved.

I could put up screenshots but tbh I can't be assed......If the OP wants to do his own investigation, that's cool with me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.