• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD Radeon R9 Nano CrossFire

Kanan

Tech Enthusiast & Gamer
System Name eazen corp | Xentronon 7.2
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X // PBO max.
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 w/ AM4 kit // 3x Corsair AF140L case fans (2 in, 1 out)
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16 GB DDR4 3600 @ 3800, CL16-19-19-39-58-1T, 1.4 V
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti modded to MATRIX // 2000-2100 MHz Core / 1938 MHz G6
Storage Silicon Power P34A80 1TB NVME/Samsung SSD 830 128GB&850 Evo 500GB&F3 1TB 7200RPM/Seagate 2TB 5900RPM
Display(s) Samsung 27" Curved FS2 HDR QLED 1440p/144Hz&27" iiyama TN LED 1080p/120Hz / Samsung 40" IPS 1080p TV
Case Corsair Carbide 600C
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud Orbit S / Creative SB X AE-5 @ Logitech Z906 / Sony HD AVR @PC & TV @ Teufel Theater 80
Power Supply EVGA 650 GQ
Mouse Logitech G700 @ Steelseries DeX // Xbox 360 Wireless Controller
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB /w Cherry MX Brown switches
VR HMD Still nope
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 15 095 Time Spy | P29 079 Firestrike | P35 628 3DM11 | X67 508 3DM Vantage Extreme
What they said at the Fiji event is probably true (There is a video somewhere). They didn't see HDMI 2.0 necessary because there focus was on DisplayPort which could do it better and it has FreeSync.
Well thats exactly what I'd say too, if I didn't want or can add HDMI 2.0 support to my cards. I still think they didn't do it because they lack money.

Edit: or space in the die/on PCB (as someone else has written).

cadaveca

My name is Dave
They're never going to put DisplayPort-to-anything (except miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort in the case of Eyefinity cards) adapters in the box because they're too expensive. DVI-I to VGA is as simple as changing the pin out (<$1 adapter) which is why they're all over the place. There is no native backwards compatibility in DisplayPort.

Z170 only supports HDMI 2.0 through Thunderbolt via Alpine Ridge chip (achieves it by converting a DisplayPort signal).

Article about MegaChips (it is 7 x 7 mm):
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/15/megachips-hdmi-chip-idUSnPn5PfYPz+96+PRN20150615

DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 requires a level-shifter and active-protocol converter (LSPCON).
I ran Eyefinity before it was officially supported. I have more than one active DP-DVI adapter. I do understand the cost, but I'm also willing to pay more to have that convenience. To me, it's like the fabled MST hubs for Eyefinity that never did sell in the NA market that might have fixed the "broken cursor" issue.

You do need to keep in mind that even a GTX980 locally is $900. A nano, fury, they cost about $20 less locally. FuryX is about $50 more, just touching over 1k. What's 10% of the cost to ensure I can use things properly? minor, in my books.

It's that experience dealing with active adapters and AMD cards that has me a bit pissed that Nano isn't going to provide HDMI 2.0, since I think the cards are great, even @ $1000.

They're never going to put DisplayPort-to-anything (except miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort in the case of Eyefinity cards) adapters in the box because they're too expensive. DVI-I to VGA is as simple as changing the pin out (<$1 adapter) which is why they're all over the place. There is no native backwards compatibility in DisplayPort.

Z170 only supports HDMI 2.0 through Thunderbolt via Alpine Ridge chip (achieves it by converting a DisplayPort signal).

Article about MegaChips (it is 7 x 7 mm):
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/15/megachips-hdmi-chip-idUSnPn5PfYPz+96+PRN20150615

DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 requires a level-shifter and active-protocol converter (LSPCON).

The dongle is part #
MCDP2850-BB
MCDP2850 (64 LFBGA, 7x7mm) – USB Type-C / DisplayPort to HDMI2.0 accessory application solution

Maybe just too costly to make no-one wants to fork over the HDMI fees with a very limited potential buyers.

Last edited:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I think they're coming; it is just too soon. That announcement was 3 months ago. I think it takes longer than that to take a chip, design a PCB, manufacturer, and test it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some prototypes behind closed doors. We should be seeing converters available for purchase by the end of the year.

System Name schweinestalle
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700 X
Motherboard Asus Prime - Pro X 570 + Asus PCI -E AC68 Dual Band Wi-Fi Adapter
Cooling Standard Air
Memory Kingston HyperX 2 x 16 gb DDR 4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 5700 XT 8 GB Strix
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Display(s) Asus XG 32 V ROG
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Audio Device(s) Realtech standard
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular
Mouse CM Havoc
Keyboard Corsair Cherry Mechanical
Software Win 10
Benchmark Scores Unigine_Superposition 4K ultra 7582
Excellent review , good 1 :lovetpu: From my opinion the Nano x 2 is Expensive but if your cashed up and love gaming its a good option

Yeah, that's always an option, but that doesn't save the card from being criticized for not including this feature out of the box, it would've cost AMD literally a few cents to add this feature to this "premium card" considering it costs exactly the same as a full AIO water cooled Fury X.

Adding HDMI 2.0 into GCN for the Nano would have required a time machine and adding several dollars to the BOM. AMD was far too deep in designing Fiji by the time the HDMI 2.0 specification was close to finished. Current implementations on Maxwell, to my knowledge, don't support the latest versions of HDCP fully, either. So neither company is completely on board with HDMI 2.0 support.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
980 ti SLI needs to be added to the comparison. It is more common than nano Crossfire and it is the most relevant to the card comparison since the price point is the same.....

Processor Intel Core i9 13900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Hero EVA Edition
Cooling Asus Ryujin II 360 EVA Edition
Memory 4x16GBs DDR5 6800MHz G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo Series
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro OS - 4TB Nextorage G Series Games - 8TBs WD Black Storage
Display(s) LG C2 OLED 42" 4K 120Hz HDR G-Sync enabled TV
Case Asus ROG Helios EVA Edition
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S910W - 7.1 Klipsch Dolby ATMOS Speaker Setup - Audeze Maxwell
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1300W
Mouse Asus ROG Keris EVA Edition - Asus ROG Scabbard II EVA Edition
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Scope EVA Edition
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey VR
Software Windows 11 Pro 64bit
Adding HDMI 2.0 into GCN for the Nano would have required a time machine and adding several dollars to the BOM. AMD was far too deep in designing Fiji by the time the HDMI 2.0 specification was close to finished. Current implementations on Maxwell, to my knowledge, don't support the latest versions of HDCP fully, either. So neither company is completely on board with HDMI 2.0 support.

Adding HDMI 2.0 to GCN? I think you might be confused, GCN is the 3D geometry and rasterizer architecture used in the actual rendering engine of the GPU, and as such, it doesn't handle the display interface the video card will utilize to connect to a particular monitor or TV, this is a separate part in the overall architecture of a video card, and as explained before (or even suggested by certain people) is a limitation that could be "easily" overcome by utilizing a DP to HDMI adapter or, in the case of having this feature enabled out of the box for this card in particular, by adding a converter chip such as the ones utilized in said converters between the actual GPU and the display interface connector, no need to mess with the architecture inside the GPU itself.

What you're saying is akin to proposing GCN is incapable of rendering HDMI 2.0 because its rendering engine cannot output a game at 3840x2160 and 60 frames per second, something we know this card is very capable of, one thing is not related to the other.

Also, I want to bring to your attention the fact that the HDMI 2.0 protocol was finalized as such in September of 2013, a full two years ahead of the release of the Nano.

As for HDCP 2.2, once again, I believe you might be confused about the real purpose of this especification, which refers to the ability of your video card to display protected content using HDCP 2.2 protocol. This has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of your video card to be able to display games to any given 4K display at 60Hz, in fact, as of Sept 2015, there's no content available that utilizes this protection protocol, and it is expected that by this holiday season, the first UHD bluray movies or HDR enabled content that will require the use of this protocol will be released, which as mentioned before, is only utilized for protected media content, and not for gaming.

Also, you are not correct in saying neither Nvidia, nor AMD are completely on board with HDMI 2.0, in fact Maxwell based 960 and 950 cards fully support HDCP 2.2, as well as the IGP found in Intel's Skylake processors, Nvidia has said they'll tentatively enable this feature to more of their Maxwell based GPUs as more protected content media is released next year, whether this is true or not, is not even pertinent to the topic we are discussing.

Hope this helps clear up some of your doubts, in reality, I think this topic should be dropped already, as it seems we are going in circles, and I'm sure, the majority of our forum members must be tired of the ongoing debate, and of the constant derailing of the original purpose of this review and its thread.

Truth is Nano is a very nice card, in fact, there's nothing out there quite like it, and I don't believe the green team expected this card to even exist, and I can't think of how their engineering team will respond to it, as I think they got caught with their pants down

It's such a shame that a few features were not included by AMD, which would have truly made this card shine in certain situations; also, in my personal opinion, the decision to price the card as they did, only opened them to further criticism when you take into consideration that for $650, Fury X is a much better card.

Last edited:
System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Prices will probably go down as more Fiji GPUs come out of the factory. AMD had two options
- Put high prices and slowly sell whatever they make.
- Put lower prices, sell everything in a couple of days/weeks and also risk Nvidia responding with lower prices for 980/980Ti.

I think in the end everyone in their place would go with the first option.

Cooling Standard Air
Storage Intel SSD 240 gb Speed Demon & WD 240 SSD Blue & WD 250 SSD & WD Green 500gb SSD & Seagate 1 TB Sata
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Mouse CM Havoc
Software Win 10
Adding HDMI 2.0 to GCN? I think you might be confused, GCN is the 3D geometry and rasterizer architecture used in the actual rendering engine of the GPU, and as such, it doesn't handle the display interface the video card will utilize to connect to a particular monitor or TV, this is a separate part in the overall architecture of a video card, and as explained before (or even suggested by certain people) is a limitation that could be "easily" overcome by utilizing a DP to HDMI adapter or, in the case of having this feature enabled out of the box for this card in particular, by adding a converter chip such as the ones utilized in said converters between the actual GPU and the display interface connector, no need to mess with the architecture inside the GPU itself.

What you're saying is akin to proposing GCN is incapable of rendering HDMI 2.0 because it's rendering engine cannot render a game at 3840x2160 and 60 frames per second, something we know this card is very capable of, one thing is not related to the other.

Also, I want to bring to your attention the fact that the HDMI 2.0 protocol was finalized as such in September of 2013, a full two years ahead of the release of the Nano.

As for HDCP 2.2, once again, I believe you might be confused about the real purpose of this especification, which refers to the ability of your video card to display protected content encoded using HDCP 2.2 protocol. This has absolutely nothing to do with the ability of your video card to be able to display games to any given 4K display at 60Hz, in fact, as of Sept 2015, there's no content available that utilizes this protection protocol, and it is expected that by this holiday season, the first UHD bluray movies or HDR enabled content that will require the use of this protocol will be released, which as mentioned before, is only utilized for protected media content, and not for gaming.

Also, you are not correct in saying neither Nvidia, nor AMD are completely on board with HDMI 2.0, in fact Maxwell based 960 and 950 cards fully support HDCP 2.2 decoding, as well as the IGP found in Intel's Skylake processors, Nvidia has said they'll tentatively enable this feature to more of their Maxwell based GPUs as more protected content media is released next year, whether this is true or not, is not even pertinent to the topic we are discussing.

Hope this helps clear up some of your doubts, in reality, I think this topic should be dropped already, as it seems we are going in circles, and I'm sure, the majority of our forum members most be tired of the ongoing debate, and of the constant diversion to the original purpose of this review and its thread.

Truth is Nano is a very nice card, in fact, there's nothing out there quite like it, and I don't believe the green team expected this card to even exist, and I can't think of how their engineering team will respond to it, as I think they got caught with their pants down

It's such a shame that a few features were not included by AMD, which would have truly made this card shine in certain situations; also, in my personal opinion, the decision to price the card as they did, only opened them to further criticism when you take into consideration that for $650, Fury X is a much better card.

Dude I respect u , though do u Work for AMD or a Development Component company ? I mean what you are Bringing to the table is serious I know what im talking about programing and hardware genius Words from my opinion ....... so is it just trolling info or the real deal ? I don't mind , just thought id ask.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
W1zzard, I enjoyed this information. Thank you.

Cooling Standard Air
Case Corsair AIR ATX
Mouse CM Havoc
Software Win 10
Um yes Wizzard I enjoyed your review too , I forgot :oops:

System Name Edit King
Processor i7 3930k
Motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme 6
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory 4 x 4GB GSkill 2133
Video Card(s) R9 Nano x 2
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 34UM88
Power Supply EVGA G2 750
Mouse Gigabyte M6580
Keyboard Azio
See https://community.amd.com/thread/189771 - BF4, W10, R9 Xfire - Oct 2015

R9 Nano prices have dropped. GTX1080 is out. I have one R9 Nano already (for video editing). Cheap 4K for me is add another R9 Nano.

System Name Edit King
Processor i7 3930k
Motherboard ASRock X79 Extreme 6
Cooling Corsair H110i GT
Memory 4 x 4GB GSkill 2133
Video Card(s) R9 Nano x 2
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Display(s) LG 34UM88
Power Supply EVGA G2 750
Mouse Gigabyte M6580
Keyboard Azio