• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Official Statement from AMD on the PCI-Express Overcurrent Issue

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Nice humour you got there mate.

Mate ?, aint that like friend ?. So you saying i was being rasist when i wasn't but i am a mate HAHA.

Anyways enough this is not what the forums for, please be more constructive and just PM me were i can just ignore you for taking out of your butt without effecting anyone else.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Thought to share it with you guys...

"Turns out pretty much every card pulls more than 75W from the slot" Well, that's a blatant lie as numerous sources with actual power measurement equipment have already determined. But I guess people would rather choose to believe an arbitrary YouTuber's tweet over multiple-pages articles of hard facts and numbers.

I wonder if GTX 960 Strix was brought as a paradigm from those defending Nvidia. It's a card with an extra power connector and TDP much lower than 150W. Whatever spikes it produces the average consumption from the pcie bus will always look under the limit.
But tell someone about an overclocked GTX 950 without a 6 pin connector and ignores you

Because it's irrelevant. Let me explain this to you simply:

GTX 950 running at stock, i.e. how 100% of users will use it: adheres to the PCIe spec
GTX 950 overclocked, i.e. how a small % of users will use it: may violate the PCIe spec

RX 480 running at stock, i.e. how 100% of users will use it: violates the PCIe spec
RX 480 overclocked, i.e. how a small % of users will use it: violates the PCIe spec, probably even more

Simple numbers say that since far fewer people overclock GTX 950 than run RX 480 at stock, far fewer people will encounter issues with PCIe slot draw. Not to mention that overclocking voids your warranty anyway, so only you are responsible if your PC catches fire while you're overclocking a GTX 950. But if you're running an RX 480 at stock and it causes your PC to catch on fire, the only one to blame is the manufacturer... i.e. AMD.

Oh, and we already know that R9 295 X2 plays fast and loose with the PCIe power spec - I called AMD out on that too, BTW - but that's far less of a problem because there are so few 295s and the majority of people running them will have overspecced systems anyway.

What it boils down to is simply that if AMD hadn't been cheap f**ks and tried to shave 2 cents off the BOM by using a 6-pin connector instead of an 8-pin, they wouldn't be having this problem. That's an absolutely indefensible case of cutting corners. And personally that's why I'm so upset, because AMD has, once again, ruined what could've been a great product launch with their own incompetence. Like I said in the review thread, they never learn.

A bad motherboard that skimp on using proper power plane and ground plane, using skinny traces instead, is another story. It could literally burn.

That's where most of the concern comes from, because the low cost of the RX 480 means it's often likely to be paired with a cheap motherboard. Think of internet gaming cafes in Asia that are going to be buying these cards by the truckload - how high quality and well ventilated do you think those systems will be?

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen/Laptop/htpc
Processor R9 3900X/i7 6700HQ/i7 2600
Motherboard AsRock X470 Taichi/Acer/ Gigabyte H77M
Cooling Corsair H115i pro with 2 Noctua NF-A14 chromax/OEM/Noctua NH-L12i
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @3200/16GB DDR4 2666 HyperX impact/24GB
Video Card(s) TUL Red Dragon Vega 56/Intel HD 530 - GTX 950m/ 970 GTX
Storage 970pro NVMe 512GB,Samsung 860evo 1TB, 3x4TB WD gold/Transcend 830s, 1TB Toshiba/Adata 256GB + 1TB WD
Display(s) Philips FTV 32 inch + Dell 2407WFP-HC/OEM/Sony KDL-42W828B
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Acer Barebone/Enermax
Audio Device(s) SoundBlasterX AE-5 (Dell A525)(HyperX Cloud Alpha)/mojo/soundblaster xfi gamer
Power Supply Seasonic focus+ 850 platinum (SSR-850PX)/165 Watt power brick/Enermax 650W
Mouse G502 Hero/M705 Marathon/G305 Hero Lightspeed
Keyboard G19/oem/Steelseries Apex 300
Software Win10 pro 64bit
High power spikes that is normal when a Dc to DC switch turns on, like a light bulb that turns on draw's a lot of power to turn on quick then drops down. Problem that could be from all this, people want to build super cheap 550$ gaming machine. Not gonna be a good thing if machine keeps shutting it self down in middle of game play. Most people probably wouldn't haven't the trouble shooting to figure out the gpu is drawing to much power from the board and causing it.

Well it is a 2 way street, the same people whined and complained about the gtx970 issue most them were not likely to ever buy one.

Problem with what you say there is spikes, if you look at all gpu's they spike to 100+ watts all the time its just nature of Dc to DC switch's. Its the over all avg draw over time that is where it gets to be the problem. drawing 225watts for matter of ms will do no damage but pulling 100watts constant for say 2-3 min can cause it as the heat is able to build up and melt something. If you go watch the video Pcper did on the issue that is one the things they cover.
thats not the same but anyway.. you cant correct with a driver the slow 512 MB of the 970..

System Name 3 desktop systems: Gaming / Internet / HTPC
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Cooling Νoctua U12S / Segotep T4 / Snowman M-T6
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Case Sharkoon Rebel 12 / Sharkoon Rebel 9 / Xigmatek Midguard
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Chieftec 850W / Silver Power 400W / Sharkoon 650W
Mouse CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Keyboard CoolerMaster Devastator III Plus / Coolermaster Devastator / Logitech
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 / Windows 7
Because it's irrelevant. Let me explain this to you simply:

GTX 950 running at stock, i.e. how 100% of users will use it: adheres to the PCIe spec
GTX 950 overclocked, i.e. how a small % of users will use it: may violate the PCIe spec
This is funny. You start about people believing an arbitrary tweet, then you do an arbitrary speculation because it suits you. Double standards?

RX 480 running at stock, i.e. how 100% of users will use it: violates the PCIe spec
RX 480 overclocked, i.e. how a small % of users will use it: violates the PCIe spec (probably even more)
In contrary to you, who will wait hell to freeze first before posting anything negative for Nvidia, I don't have a problem saying that AMD messed up here.

Simple numbers say that since far fewer people overclock GTX 950 than run RX 480 at stock, far fewer people will encounter issues with PCIe slot draw. Not to mention that overclocking voids your warranty anyway, so only you are responsible if your PC catches fire while you're overclocking a GTX 950. But if you're running an RX 480 at stock and it causes your PC to catch on fire, the only one to blame is the manufacturer... i.e. AMD.
You missed my point here. If GTX 950 goes as high as 85-90W of power usage through the pcie bus, shouldn't we have heard about people frying their motherboards? You can say that it doesn't happen and that's why we haven't heard anything. To be fair tech press likes to concentrate it's fire on AMD, so we probably will never learned what power GTX 950 with no 6pin sucks through the pcie bus under overclocking. Neither Tom's Hardware, neither PCPerspective, (neither TPU?) will come up with an article, especially if the card sucks more than it should.

Oh, and we already know that R9 295X2 plays fast and loose with the PCIe power spec - I called them out on that too, BTW - but that's far less of a problem because there are so few 295s and the majority of people running them will have overspecced systems anyway.
I bet you did. It's an AMD card.

What it boils down to is simply that if AMD hadn't been cheap f**ks and tried to shave 2 cents off the BOM by using a 6-pin connector instead of an 8-pin, they wouldn't be having this problem. That's an absolutely indefensible case of cutting corners. And personally that's why I'm so upset, because AMD has, once again, ruined what could've been a great product launch with their own incompetence. Like I said in the review thread, they never learn.
Thankfully Nvidia wasn't cheap f***ks, so they put all the features on the overpriced Founders Editions cards. Fans going bananas, power consumption at idle/multi monitor going bananas. Bananas. Bananas everywhere.

Funny how you get upset for products you will never buy from a company that you hate because it represents the competition to the company you love. In fact Nvidia fanboys are more upset than RX 480 owners themselves.

Processor i5 4670K - @ 4.8GHZ core
Motherboard MSI Z87 G43
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 *(Modded to fit on this motherboard)
Memory 16GB 2400MHZ
Video Card(s) HD7970 GHZ edition Sapphire
Storage Samsung 120GB 850 EVO & 4X 2TB HDD (Seagate)
Display(s) 42" Panasonice LED TV @120Hz
Case Corsair 200R
Audio Device(s) Xfi Xtreme Music with Hyper X Core
Power Supply Cooler Master 700 Watts
" arbitrary YouTuber

This Arbitrary youtuber is also known as Tech Reviewer and unlike you he has 654,848 subscribers to his youtube channel. You know i am just puting it forward the way they are coming up to internet, you can believe whatever you want. My 4 year old thinks my HD 7970 is an aeroplane and i don't correct her. Its not the correct time anyway. ;)

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
ou missed my point here. If GTX 950 goes as high as 85-90W of power usage through the pcie bus, shouldn't we have heard about people frying their motherboards? You can say that it doesn't happen and that's why we haven't heard anything. To be fair tech press likes to concentrate it's fire on AMD, so we probably will never learned what power GTX 950 with no 6pin sucks through the pcie bus under overclocking. Neither Tom's Hardware, neither PCPerspective, (neither TPU?) will come up with an article, especially if the card sucks more than it should.
Seems like you've missed the point: a GTX 950 with a 6-pin connector has a 90W rated max TDP. A GTX 950 without 6-pin PCIE power connector is limited to 75W, at least if we take specs from EVGA, ASUS, Palit and consider them true.
Additionally, here's a quote from low-power GTX950 review by @W1zzard :
During gaming, we see power consumption hover almost exactly around the 75 W mark, which is the maximum power draw from a PCI-Express slot. Since the card has no additional power connectors, this is the ideal result - close to 75 W but not significantly more.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_950/21.html

With maximum consumption of 76W and peak at 79W, which in the worst case scenario puts it at 5% over spec in short peaks, and 1.3% over spec overall (which is well within an error margin for such measurements).
Overclocking may increase the peak consumption values, but overall max won't change, because the card will throttle to stay within 75W limit.

It's not about who's defending who, it's about speculation versus facts and numbers. Even if Raja Koduri himself says that "RX480 is fine, trust me", I won't believe it because there are at least several equally reputable and less reputable people who clearly displayed the opposite by running an experiment and sharing their results with public.

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism (BOX-cooler)
Memory 16GB DDR4 Corsair Desktop RAM Vengeance LPX 3200MHz Red
Video Card(s) GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 510 1TB SSD
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Case Thermaltake Versa C21 RGB
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Software Windows10 64bit
Thankfully Nvidia wasn't cheap f***ks, so they put all the features on the overpriced Founders Editions cards. Fans going bananas, power consumption at idle/multi monitor going bananas. Bananas. Bananas everywhere.
Funny how you get upset for products you will never buy from a company that you hate because it represents the competition to the company you love. In fact Nvidia fanboys are more upset than RX 480 owners themselves.

You have to keep something in mind :
AMD's attempt to save money by using a 6-pin power connector instead of an 8-pin, possibly endangers my system.
What you say about NVidia,- (*although i totally disagree with you, because they made a fantastic GPU with +50% performance of a FuryX/980Ti, and you are still complaining!! )-, affects only the GPU itself, and it doesn't places in jeopardy my system.
You might enjoy taking risks about your motherboard's endurance and longevity, but personally, as i said before, i didn't pay near 600€ (*for top-notch PSU / UPS / surge protectors etc), only to let AMD's GPU to destroy my system from the inside !!:mad:

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
This Arbitrary youtuber is also known as Tech Reviewer and unlike you he has 654,848 subscribers to his youtube channel.

Not arguing, disagreeing, or agreeing, but it needs to be pointed out that well over 90% of the people are Sheeple and will follow anything, including a guy who is entertaining on youtube. It doesn't actually say anything about his tech abilities.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
AMD's attempt to save money by using a 6-pin power connector instead of an 8-pin, possibly endangers my system.
What you say about NVidia,- (*although i totally disagree with you, because they made a fantastic GPU with +50% performance of a FuryX/980Ti, and you are still complaining!! )-, affects only the GPU itself, and it doesn't places in jeopardy my system.
You might enjoy taking risks about your motherboard's endurance and longevity, but personally, as i said before, i didn't pay near 600€ (*for top-notch PSU / UPS / surge protectors etc), only to let AMD's GPU to destroy my system from the inside !!:mad:

If you spend such amounts of money on PSU/UPS, etc and you don't habe a high quality MB, you are simply ignorant of PC and gaming tech. But since I am sure your MB is a good quality one, there is NOT A CHANCE an RX480 could damage it. Especially since AMD will fix that in 2-3 days with a new driver or anyone could fix it NOW by himself by lowering voltage a bit through Wattman.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/07/01/investigating-thermal-throttling-undervolting-amds-rx-480/

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Thought to share it with you guys...

Again, the difference is that most don't pull more from the slot for long periods of time. They spike above 75w, but that is completely normal and acceptable. The problem with the RX 480 is that it pulls a lot more than 75w for a sustained period of time.

I wonder if GTX 960 Strix was brought as a paradigm from those defending Nvidia. It's a card with an extra power connector and TDP much lower than 150W. Whatever spikes it produces the average consumption from the pcie bus will always look under the limit.

Actually the GTX 960 Strix was bought up because Tom's data made it look like it was doing the same thing as the RX 480. The GTX 960 Strix does spike above 75w. However, in reality it doesn't do the same thing as the RX 480 because as it has already been pointed out, the spikes don't matter. With DC to DC conversion there will always be those high spikes. What matters is the overall average. The GTX 960 Strix averages down around 30w from the PCI-E slot, and pulls everything else it needs from the external connector. The RX 480 average over 75w from the PCI-E slot.

But tell someone about an overclocked GTX 950 without a 6 pin connector and ignores you, changes the subject, or wants you to believe that you can have 20% extra performance without consuming a single extra watt. Free performance.

What about an overclocked GTX 950 without a 6-pin? I directly addressed the issue of an overclocked GTX 950 without a 6-pin. I didn't change the subject, I explained to you exactly how it works several pages back. I'll explain it again. The power draw from the PCI-E slot still stays at 75w thanks to the power limiting built into the card. If the power limit is set to 75w, thanks to nVidia's GPU Boost, it is going to consume right around 75w. It doesn't matter what you overclock the card to, GPU Boost will keep the card at 75w. It is very effective at doing this. Manually raising the power limit as been a part of overclocking with nVidia for a couple generation now.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5 5500 / Ryzen 5 4600G / FX 6300 (12 years latter got to see how bad Bulldozer is)
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (1) / MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max (2) / Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
Memory 16GB G.Skill RIPJAWS 3600 / 16GB G.Skill Aegis 3200 / 16GB Kingston 2400MHz (DDR3)
Video Card(s) ASRock RX 6600 + GT 710 (PhysX)/ Vega 7 integrated / Radeon RX 580
Storage NVMes, NVMes everywhere / NVMes, more NVMes / Various storage, SATA SSD mostly
Display(s) Philips 43PUS8857/12 UHD TV (120Hz, HDR, FreeSync Premium) ---- 19'' HP monitor + BlitzWolf BW-V5
Audio Device(s) onboard

No, it doesn't endangers your system with the 750Ti on it.

50% performance over GTX 980Ti? I think GTX 980Ti owners will want to say something here. The same can be said for Fury X owners in DirectX 12 games.

And don't worry. The UPS probably will survive.

Audio Device(s) onboard
Seems like you've missed the point: a GTX 950 with a 6-pin connector has a 90W rated max TDP. A GTX 950 without 6-pin PCIE power connector is limited to 75W, at least if we take specs from EVGA, ASUS, Palit and consider them true.
Additionally, here's a quote from low-power GTX950 review by @W1zzard :

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_950/21.html

With maximum consumption of 76W and peak at 79W, which in the worst case scenario puts it at 5% over spec in short peaks, and 1.3% over spec overall (which is well within an error margin for such measurements).
Overclocking may increase the peak consumption values, but overall max won't change, because the card will throttle to stay within 75W limit.

It's not about who's defending who, it's about speculation versus facts and numbers. Even if Raja Koduri himself says that "RX480 is fine, trust me", I won't believe it because there are at least several equally reputable and less reputable people who clearly displayed the opposite by running an experiment and sharing their results with public.
I didn't missed the point. You missed all the other posts that I did about the subject and I am not going to repeat everything in detail. Just ask yourself this.
100% performance at 75W. At that review W1zzard overclocks the card and gets 20% extra performance. Not just higher clocks. 20% extra PERFORMANCE.
Now tell me. How much extra power consumption do you need for that extra 20%? 0 Watts? 5 Watts? 10 Watts? 20 Watts? And don't tell me about throttling. Throttling doesn't increase performance by 20%.

You see, there are many things that the press will not tell you. You just learned about the PCIe bus power draw because the RX480 is an AMD card. If it was an Nvidia card, you wouldn't have known about it.

Last edited:
System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Software Windows10 64bit
If you spend such amounts of money on PSU/UPS, etc 1.and you don't habe a high quality MB, you are simply ignorant of PC and gaming tech. But since I am sure your MB is a good quality one, 2.there is NOT A CHANCE an RX480 could damage it. Especially since 3.AMD will fix that in 2-3 days with a new driver or anyone could fix it NOW by himself by lowering voltage a bit through Wattman.
http://semiaccurate.com/2016/07/01/investigating-thermal-throttling-undervolting-amds-rx-480/

1. Or maybe , -just maybe-, there are aren't any more Socket939 mobo's in the market and i had to buy whatever i could find regardless quality. Ever thought this possibility?
2. When something gets out of spec, then i don't need neither AMD's or your's or anybody else's reassurance. Out of specs means by default: possible danger for my system!!
3. I'm allergic to the word "will" . First they must fix it and then we are going to evaluate the results.;)

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
1. Or maybe , -just maybe-, there are aren't any more Socket939 mobo's in the market and i had to buy whatever i could find regardless quality. Ever thought this possibility?
2. When something gets out of spec, then i don't need neither AMD's or your's or anybody else's reassurance. Out of specs means by default: possible danger for my system!!
3. I'm allergic to the word "will" . First they must fix it and then we are going to evaluate the results.;)

No one cares that you spent 600 euros on a power supply and ups for a s939 system that is essentially throw away now.

System Name Order66
Processor Ryzen 7 3700X
Display(s) Asus VE228HR
Software Windows10 64bit
No one cares that you spent 600 euros on a power supply and ups for a s939 system that is essentially throw away now.

I was replying to a comment so apparently somebody cared. :rolleyes:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I was replying to a comment so apparently somebody cared. :rolleyes:

Every comment has been the same. Literally no one on here understands why you are complaining, cool thing about capitalism is if you don't like a product you just don't buy it.

This particular card is a horrid idea for you because even after the software limits the PCIe draw it will still smoke your 10+ year old motherboard, which wasn't even high end 10+ years ago.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I didn't missed the point. You missed all the other posts that I did about the subject and I am not going to repeat everything in detail. Just ask yourself this.
100% performance at 75W. At that review W1zzard overclocks the card and gets 20% extra performance. Not just higher clocks. 20% extra PERFORMANCE.
Now tell me. How much extra power consumption do you need for that extra 20%? 0 Watts? 5 Watts? 10 Watts? 20 Watts? And don't tell me about throttling. Throttling doesn't increase performance by 20%.

Thanks to GPU boost, basically 0w.

You see, there are many things that the press will not tell you. You just learned about the PCIe bus power draw because the RX480 is an AMD card. If it was an Nvidia card, you wouldn't have known about it.

Or maybe it is just because this is the first card we've seen do this since we've had the ability to test slot power draw separately.

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

I learned about PCI-E bus because of this:
IMAG0674.jpg
...and this:
IMAG0673.jpg

...and about 28 more reasons in my office - I fix this stuff occasionally, if you know what I mean.

Now, if it came to defensive insults, what makes you a specialist in this area?

P.S. Boards are not for sale! Can trade a Z77 for cheap air conditioning :toast:

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64

You still are really not getting how nvidia boost works...

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

Son, you just went full retard. I think we're about done here.

System Name Firebird
Processor Intel i7 2600K @5.0'ish 24/7 stock core Voltage {5.2 w/102 bCLK}
Motherboard Intel Extreme DZ68BC SkullTrail Z68 Cougerpoint, Excellent MCH !
Cooling Scythe NINJA PLUS Rev.B[skt478] Modded to 1155 Scythe SH12 fan
Memory Samsung 32nm 16Gb 4x4 (@19xxmhz} low profile[ better than 2133 banwidth]
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aurosus 1080Ti
Storage Intel 512 SSD,Samsung 9701Tb, Toshiba 3Tbx2,Hitachi 320,1TBx2,'Cuda 400 7200.10, WD1TBUSB,to SATA
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440 27" WQHD, Samsung 226W, Vizio M60C3 4K 60",Vizio XVT3D554SV
Case CoolerMaster HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Intel 10ch[9+1] HD Audio X540> Pioneer VSX39TX[copper chasis,Rosewood sides 5x6LCD remote
Power Supply Seasonic X750 @ 24/7
Mouse Logictech G300s
Keyboard Saitek Cyborg v7
Software Windows 7 ROG E3 X64 by Neuropass/tweakscene
Benchmark Scores 4642@665/1600 220/GAT F1 4544 220/667strap 2.5/3/2/6 Bliss 650/1500 6490 Q6700 Bliss 690/1500
The problem with the RX 480 is that it pulls a lot more than 75w for a sustained period of time.
Or maybe it is just because this is the first card we've seen do this since we've had the ability to test slot power draw separately
This, Bingo !! That IS the issue, the current draw is continuously higher than the [revised]SIG spec allows from the thru the PCIe connector.

Last edited:
This whole thread is ....

LOL

We need to make a webdrama outta this. It will be pure golden.

Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
System Name Team Crimson
Processor AMD FX 8320
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3
Cooling Corsair H80i
Memory DDR3 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB RAM
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Crucial MX300 275GB
Display(s) AOC 2752H 27" 1080p
Case NZXT Source 220 Windowed
Power Supply Antec Earthworks 650W
Mouse Logitech M510/ AGPTEK T-90 Zelotes
Keyboard Logitech K360/ iBUYPOWER TTC RED Switch Mechanical
Software Windows 8.1 64 Bit
What it boils down to is simply that if AMD hadn't been cheap f**ks and tried to shave 2 cents off the BOM by using a 6-pin connector instead of an 8-pin, they wouldn't be having this problem. That's an absolutely indefensible case of cutting corners.

I thought AIBs were adding 8-pins for higher total power limits for overclocking?
I have not seen anything concrete that shows that an 8-pin would decrease the draw on the PCIE slot, as my understanding is that is regulated by the GPU itself.